Elves as Wizards

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mbeacom
Ulthal

Re: Elves as Wizards

Post by mbeacom »

I don't want to beat this into the ground but you both made good points so I'll be super quick.

Redwullf, you're essentially talking about multiclassing (prior to 3rd edition when it actually mattered based on class design). And yes, I support that. But in those cases, you either divided your experience between the classes (massively slowing your advancement) or, in the case of early elves, they required DOUBLE the experience points to get to 10th level as a cleric (another fairly competent caster/melee class for comparison). Also they had level limits. These two things combined were more than enough to balance out the differences IMO. Neither of these balancing forces exist in C&C. 3E and 4E are very different beasts and were redesigned such that it no longer really mattered. But yes, we can agree to disagree on this. I find that acceptable. :)

Lord Dynel,
You're absolutely right, having the ability in 3/3.5 is inconsequential for a litany of reasons. Give wizards in 3.5 battle axe proficiency, it will have little impact on how the game works. But C&C is a very different game. Based on how the C&C classes are designed and the limitations that are present, I think elven wizards would be highly sought after for their ability to choose amongst those weapons when no other wizards can. Suffice it to say I'd have no complaints if someone were proposing something like this in 3E either. So in that we are in agreement. But I don't see that as any kind of valid support for making the change in C&C.

And likewise, I'm not upset either. I very much enjoy and respect both of you and always like when you post your thoughts. I'd hate for you to think otherwise. In fact, I probably agree with both of you more than I disagree.

Oh, and Redwullf, i'll bow to your argumentative prowess. Your techniques are advanced, subtle, and powerful. You win this round....but I'll be back Muahahahahahahah!
;)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I agree with not wanting to beat it in the ground, either. I'll try to keep mine short as well.

I must be missing your point, mb, as I don't see how it would make elf wizards "highly sought after." I'm really not meaning to sound obtuse, either. I honestly think it would benefit elf fighters more than anything, because they would be the best fighters in the game (strength being equal and all). I know that's opening a new can of worms, though. :P For wizards, with their anemic hit points, lack of protection, and pitiful BtH, being on even ground with a longsword as a fighter (for example) is not going to make them highly desirable. Their ability to level the ranks of their enemies with a well-placed fireball is going to be much more desirable.

Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth. ;)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

"Ya know what I call one of those blasted finger-wigglers who fancy a sword after they get into reach of Black Beauty here?" said Grimbaldis, hardened veteran of many campaigns, as he cleaned his iron greatsword.

"No, Grim," answered his friend Ari the Quick as she idly spun a dagger on one fingertip.

"Wormfood," said Grim.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Lord Dynel wrote:I agree with not wanting to beat it in the ground, either. I'll try to keep mine short as well.

I must be missing your point, mb, as I don't see how it would make elf wizards "highly sought after." I'm really not meaning to sound obtuse, either. I honestly think it would benefit elf fighters more than anything, because they would be the best fighters in the game (strength being equal and all). I know that's opening a new can of worms, though. :P For wizards, with their anemic hit points, lack of protection, and pitiful BtH, being on even ground with a longsword as a fighter (for example) is not going to make them highly desirable. Their ability to level the ranks of their enemies with a well-placed fireball is going to be much more desirable.

Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth. ;)
In our games characters die. Wizards in particular are hard to keep alive. LVL1 and 2 are like a minefield for wizards in C&C. One stray arrow and they can be done. At low level, they have one maybe two offensive spells. Then it's sling city the rest of the day. And we're not talking about fireball. They don't get that until 5th level and by then they're not nearly as hard to keep alive. How much more capable would a low level party be with a wizard, composite longbow in hand raining d8s down from range instead of d3 darts or d4 slingstones. (Both of which have pitiful range, 20 and 50ft compared to 110!). The long comp bow would allow the mage to stay at a safe distance and do real damage. Normally, when the wizard is at a safe distance, he's officially no longer contributing damage. This all changes with a composite bow. Go ahead and flip through the C&C spell list and see how many spells are 50ft range. All those spells are dangerous to a wizard with a sling or darts and useless against a wizard with a composite bow. Keep in mind the proficient elf wizards to-hit bonus is equal to that of a bow ranger at levels 1 and 2. So barring really high stats on the ranger, they're gonna be doing the same damage from the same range. This, IMO, is enough that you'd pretty much have to be stupid to not choose an elf if you already decided you wanted to be a wizard. I would certainly choose an elf all else being equal. The likelihood of staying alive because we can take out enemies faster since I"m doing real damage or at least being able to contribute meaningfully once I drop my single offensive spell is pretty significant. Likewise if a baddie gets through the parties defenses the wizard might only get one swing against an attacker. One swing with a d8 long sword is much more likely to drop a rampaging goblin or kobold than a dagger.

Maybe I've played with too many min/maxers in my day but I can say pretty confidently that they would seize on this type of change to great advantage. Now, I'll be the first to say that rewriting rules to try to shut down min-maxers is not a really good way to design a game. But NOT rewriting rules that might encourage them is something worth looking at IMO.

Anyway, it's been interesting and I really do appreciate the colorful exchange. I've said my peace. I'm honestly not trying to convince anyone of anything other than that the rules as written are just fine. No change is needed. :)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

After all these words have been spent on elven wizards and swords and bows, there is one thing I think we can all agree on...

THIS is a badass picture!

And so is this!

These pictures just scream, "Screw the rules! I'm a wizard and I'm going to swing this big ass sword!"

Incidentally, I have 3 replica LotR swords, and Glamdring is one of them (my favorite). The other two are the Witch-King's sword and, of course, Sting.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

redwullf wrote: These pictures just scream, "Screw the rules! I'm a wizard and I'm going to swing this big ass sword!"
Sure, it you are an immortal god like being. :o
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Ieuane
Ungern

Post by Ieuane »

Arduin wrote: Sure, it you are an immortal god like being. :o
So, the G-man's melee proficiency is based on his race, not class. ;)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

mbeacom wrote:In our games characters die. Wizards in particular are hard to keep alive. LVL1 and 2 are like a minefield for wizards in C&C. One stray arrow and they can be done. At low level, they have one maybe two offensive spells. Then it's sling city the rest of the day. And we're not talking about fireball. They don't get that until 5th level and by then they're not nearly as hard to keep alive. How much more capable would a low level party be with a wizard, composite longbow in hand raining d8s down from range instead of d3 darts or d4 slingstones. (Both of which have pitiful range, 20 and 50ft compared to 110!). The long comp bow would allow the mage to stay at a safe distance and do real damage. Normally, when the wizard is at a safe distance, he's officially no longer contributing damage. This all changes with a composite bow. Go ahead and flip through the C&C spell list and see how many spells are 50ft range. All those spells are dangerous to a wizard with a sling or darts and useless against a wizard with a composite bow. Keep in mind the proficient elf wizards to-hit bonus is equal to that of a bow ranger at levels 1 and 2. So barring really high stats on the ranger, they're gonna be doing the same damage from the same range. This, IMO, is enough that you'd pretty much have to be stupid to not choose an elf if you already decided you wanted to be a wizard. I would certainly choose an elf all else being equal. The likelihood of staying alive because we can take out enemies faster since I"m doing real damage or at least being able to contribute meaningfully once I drop my single offensive spell is pretty significant. Likewise if a baddie gets through the parties defenses the wizard might only get one swing against an attacker. One swing with a d8 long sword is much more likely to drop a rampaging goblin or kobold than a dagger.

Maybe I've played with too many min/maxers in my day but I can say pretty confidently that they would seize on this type of change to great advantage. Now, I'll be the first to say that rewriting rules to try to shut down min-maxers is not a really good way to design a game. But NOT rewriting rules that might encourage them is something worth looking at IMO.

Anyway, it's been interesting and I really do appreciate the colorful exchange. I've said my peace. I'm honestly not trying to convince anyone of anything other than that the rules as written are just fine. No change is needed. :)
I, too, agree that it’s been a great conversation. And I don’t think you’re trying to change anyone’s opinion, hoss. I like to think that I’ve written my posts to shed a new light on a topic, or perhaps to consider a new way to look at something, but I view forum posts as opinions. If you like ‘em, great. If not, no harm no foul. The conversation and tone/respect on these boards are, far and away, better than most other forums. I personally don’t feel I’m hanging myself when I post a differing opinion than another poster because it seems that the mutual respect here is pretty high. I can’t say that of other forums on the web.

But I agree, mb, that wizards are hard to keep alive. They, and all classes, die in my games as well. And I can see the perceived advantage, too. I don’t want to sound like I’m twisting your words (so my apology if that’s the impression you get) but I don’t see anything wrong with upping the survivability a hair. At low levels, they’re not going to get a composite long bow, not with their average starting wealth of 55 gold. A short bow, maybe, and some gear. But that cuts the range down to 60’ which is still pretty decent. I know that could be rectified a few sessions in, but I thought it was worth noting. I can’t see that throwing out a d6 (for the short bow) creates an imbalance.

Now, back to elf wizard survivability – I like to think that a CK worth his salt is not going to have the monsters sit back and take being needled by the elf wizard in the back. I’d think (and I play this way) that those baddies (the ones that have a bit of intelligence or cunning – orcs, goblins, kobolds, and the like) are already going to be gunning for the elf wizard (or any wizard for that matter) because “he make da hurty sparkles come from his fingas!” I know if you “run the numbers” as I like to call it (see the WotC Char Op boards for a myriad of examples), then yeah, the damage per round is upped a little for an elf wizard. But in an in-game scenario I think would go differently (assuming against foes with a modicum of intelligence) and any elf wizard should carefully consider slinging arrows about in combat (which is another thing I won’t touch – firing into a melee).

I’ll respectfully disagree with the ranger example, good sir. A ranger has more starting cash, therefore can afford a composite short bow, at least. Since we’re talking about elves, an elven ranger – already proficient in said weapon – will have a +1 to attack with the cs bow. So, an elven ranger is better armed, and better armored, getting a +1 attack over the wizard, and doing a d8 instead of the d6. And he’ll be further back, too, if he wishes. :D

I’ll also respectfully disagree with thinking one “stupid” for not choosing an elf if you’re going to be a wizard. Two words – third prime. Like your claim, this only my opinion, but the third prime of humans easily trumps being proficient in a bow or sword. I could actually argue that all the dwarf’s resistances and the gnome’s innate magical abilities would be a better choice over my revised weapon training. Simply on the basis of they’re more widely used abilities that are going to see more mileage than a weapon proficiency affords.

It seems you are looking at this from purely a combat viewpoint (and my apologies if you clearly stated that somewhere and I missed it, mb) and perhaps that’s based on your experience. Mine is much different and combat, while a large part of my games is not the majority of my games. Perhaps yours aren’t either. Being able to use an innate magical ability or having a third prime at your disposal is (in my opinion) going to be much more useful in the long run. Again, unless you run a lot of combat.

In the end, I don’t see it getting rewritten, either. It was more a joke than anything. I personally think my rewrite of the ability is better (no offense, Steve! :D) and there’s a good chance I’ll go forward using that. Even if, by some wild chance, it does then it’s easily able to be house ruled to the way it currently written.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

"I like to think that a CK worth his salt is not going to have the monsters sit back and take being needled by the elf wizard in the back. I’d think (and I play this way) that those baddies (the ones that have a bit of intelligence or cunning – orcs, goblins, kobolds, and the like) are already going to be gunning for the elf wizard (or any wizard for that matter) because “he make da hurty sparkles come from his fingas!” "

This is true whether he has a longbow or not. So the longbow means they're much more likely to fall before they get to him.

You're right, starting gold is irrelevant since one adventure in and your elven wizards would all have longbows. It's the first thing I'd buy.

And the elven ranger is not a good comparison. For the purposes of this comparison the only difference between en elven ranger and a human one is +1 to hit and a third prime. I'm perfectly comfortable with that. But the difference between an elven wizard and a human one is not +1 to hit. It's +4 to hit, combined with double damage and double range. If you don't think that makes a difference, fair enough. But when I'm given that choice, I'll take the +4 to hit, double damage and double range all day long.

"I know if you “run the numbers” as I like to call it (see the WotC Char Op boards for a myriad of examples), then yeah, the damage per round is upped a little for an elf wizard."

Actually, it's not "upped a little" at low level. It's at a minimum doubled. Combine that with an effective range more than doubled. That's significant.

And I'm not talking about firing into melee. I"m talking about taking out the ranged enemies that are trying to get at the wizard whether with spells or projectiles. In my experience mages rarely die in melee, unless it's the last hit of a TPK. :)

We run about 50/50 of combat to non-combat ratio. And yes the prime is important, but while it's useful its not nearly as life or death as damage output. Basically, the third prime is great but contributes little to actual survivability.

But yes, I'm heavily exposed to optimizers and third primes are not as heavily weighted as bonus to hit or damage as long as those bonuses will apply in most every combat, which these most certainly would. For any player who values survival, they'd literally redefine the elf wizards combat tactics. So, you have to decide which is better. A 1st level dead wizard with 3 primes or a 5th level living one with 2? Seems like easy math to me. ;)

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is something that Steve and/or Davis brings up in the CKG: namely, that Way Back When, there tended to be a lot more in the way of wands, scrolls, and assorted "consumable" magic items that gave the wizards of yesteryear much more to do. This meant that while the fighter and thief were swinging swords, the wizard was pulling out his scroll of Protection from Evil, casting, and then perhaps deciding on whether to burn a charge or two of his wand of Magic Missile.

I also think that if the perceived problem is that a low hit point, low AC character having a melee or ranged weapon is unbalancing, then the real problem is one of encounter design and execution. Any instance of characters being "overpowered" can be easily addressed by the gamemaster by adjusting the opponents or environments in such a way as to challenge the players.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

CKDad wrote:One thing I haven't seen mentioned is something that Steve and/or Davis brings up in the CKG: namely, that Way Back When, there tended to be a lot more in the way of wands, scrolls, and assorted "consumable" magic items that gave the wizards of yesteryear much more to do. This meant that while the fighter and thief were swinging swords, the wizard was pulling out his scroll of Protection from Evil, casting, and then perhaps deciding on whether to burn a charge or two of his wand of Magic Missile.

I also think that if the perceived problem is that a low hit point, low AC character having a melee or ranged weapon is unbalancing, then the real problem is one of encounter design and execution. Any instance of characters being "overpowered" can be easily addressed by the gamemaster by adjusting the opponents or environments in such a way as to challenge the players.
It's not just that they have it. It's that only one race has it. And having it gives them a +4 to hit, double range and double damage. For a class that really really really needs these things at low levels to survive. Again, I wouldn't really have a problem if all races got access to it. It would no longer be a balance issue but a flavor issue that is inconsequential.

And yes, you can DM your way around any imbalance, this is true. But that's not a valid reason to allow them into the game IMO. And yes, wizards have more to do as they acquire more treasure. But I'm talking about survivability. Not too many level 1 and 2 wizards have a bag full of magical scrolls, at least not in my games. Maybe I should be giving out more treasure, then things like mechanical imbalances will be less noticeable. I'm willing to consider that.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

mbeacom wrote:It's not just that they have it. It's that only one race has it. And having it gives them a +4 to hit, double range and double damage.
Wait - where are you getting +4 to hit, double range and double damage?

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

CKDad wrote:
mbeacom wrote:It's not just that they have it. It's that only one race has it. And having it gives them a +4 to hit, double range and double damage.
Wait - where are you getting +4 to hit, double range and double damage?
Elven Wizards who get autoproficiency with something like Long composite bow effectively gain a +4 to hit compared to Non-Elven wizards with the same weapon. This makes them viable with that weapon (comparable to a human bow ranger at low levels). Now that they're viable with that weapon, they have an effective range and damage capability that is double that of a non-elf Wizard using their best viable ranged weapon, the sling (d8 vs d4 and 110ft vs 50ft).
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

You're quite welcome, mb! And thank you for your reply to my points. :)
mbeacom wrote:You're right, starting gold is irrelevant since one adventure in and your elven wizards would all have longbows. It's the first thing I'd buy.
Well, it's not totally irrelevant. Low level baddies shouldn't be running around with an overabundance of composite longbows. At least that's my opinon. Regular shortbows, maybe. And if you happen to run across a composite bow in early sessions you better believe that the elf wizard is probably going to be, at least, third on the priority list of who's getting it. I guess my point was if your CK is going to put 100gp value items on goblins or skeleton archers in a 1st level game, acquiring them won't be a problem. In my games, I look at that (enemy possessions, not necessarily just money and treasure) as possible treasure, too. YMMV, though.

With the ranger-wizard comparison, I did make the assumption they were both elves. For them not to be would be an unfair comparison, in my opinion. And if both are elves, then the ranger has the advantage. Even if it's human ranger, though, and they are compaable in damage. As soon as that extra prime comes into play (as a result of a saving throw, for example) the advantage swings back to the ranger. And this doesn't have to be a human ranger. Any human class gets the advantage over the elf wizard due to a third prime. That's every skill check and every saving throw, involving that attribute, whether in combat or not. There's been whole threads about the overpowered-ness (:P) of the human's third prime. But maybe I'm over-emphasizing it, I don't know.
A 1st level dead wizard with 3 primes or a 5th level living one with 2? Seems like easy math to me. ;)
What about the 5th level wizard with 3 primes? :P But the 5th level wizard with 2 prime's never going to make it to 5th when he could have had that third prime and made that dexterity save against that fire trap spell. Poor fella. ;)

I think you need to get away from those optimizers! :lol: I have some in my games, too, when they're in the mood to be such. I just fail to see the sheer advantage, though. I mean, I understand the math and its implications. Yes, it's good. And yes, an elf wizard can shoot a bow better than a human one, or a gnome one. That's part of their background (in my revision, and the original intent). I might be an idealist, or just lucky, but I don't see characters built with a particular class and race combo too terribly often because they get one single advantage in that particular circumstance. I'm proud to say that I see a lot more concept going into character creation. The funny thing is, I think it would be a cool concept to have an elf wizard who could double for an archer if need be.

In all seriousness, if you're involved in a combat-heavy comapign then certainly the elf wizard would have the advantage. You say that your games are about 50/50, and while I don't doubt your words, you emphathize this as being a significant advantage. In a 50/50 game, I wouldn't think this would be that big of an advantage. To be fair, maybe you weren't talking about it being that big an advantage in your games, only combat-oriented ones.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Ah, thanks for clarifying what you were using as a reference. The way you initially stated your point seemed like you were claiming those as bonuses against the baseline without bonuses of any kind.

I'll have to double-check, but I think that wizards actually aren't allowed slings in C&C. For some reason I think it's dagger, dart or staff only.

All that said, I think there other benefits elves get that are a lot more significant than having a single additional weapon proficiency; the immunity to sleep and charm can be a big deal, as can their ability to detect secret passages just by wandering by them. I don't feel those are problems, however; just factors I have to consider when crafting an adventure, or when running a game. Ditto for the crap ton of spell-like abilities gnomes get, or dwarven resistances.

Obviously, YMMV. If you don't like it, don't allow it. As the book says, the rules are not your master. But I still don't see it as such a hugely imbalancing factor that I can't overcome it as a CK to provide an appropriate challenge. But I don't play with a bunch of min-maxers either. :)

Ieuane
Ungern

Post by Ieuane »

As far as fantasy goes, elves are better than humans. In CnC they are 500 years old at middle age. The description refers to them as "almost timeless" beings.

The inconsistent vocabulary used in the rules is the culprit. How can an elf possess "Weapon Training" in a few weapons, and simultaneously be "non-proficient" in those weapons in which he received training.

A desire for "game balance" (an elf wizard cannot be better at combat than a human wizard), not RAW adherence, reads that to mean, "An elf receives weapon training unless he is a wizard."

The RAW say what they say, interpreting them one way or another is a CK's preference, to fit his group and style, of course. Had the rules read, "Regardless of an elf's class, he or she is proficient in...." would have worked. The choice to describe their link with their iconic weapons as a "+1 to hit" rather than proficiency (no -4) also muddied the water.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

CKDad wrote:Ah, thanks for clarifying what you were using as a reference. The way you initially stated your point seemed like you were claiming those as bonuses against the baseline without bonuses of any kind.

I'll have to double-check, but I think that wizards actually aren't allowed slings in C&C. For some reason I think it's dagger, dart or staff only.

All that said, I think there other benefits elves get that are a lot more significant than having a single additional weapon proficiency; the immunity to sleep and charm can be a big deal, as can their ability to detect secret passages just by wandering by them. I don't feel those are problems, however; just factors I have to consider when crafting an adventure, or when running a game. Ditto for the crap ton of spell-like abilities gnomes get, or dwarven resistances.

Obviously, YMMV. If you don't like it, don't allow it. As the book says, the rules are not your master. But I still don't see it as such a hugely imbalancing factor that I can't overcome it as a CK to provide an appropriate challenge. But I don't play with a bunch of min-maxers either. :)
I'm not sure anything really qualifies as "a hugely imbalancing factor that I can't overcome it as a CK to provide an appropriate challenge" since as the CK I have the power to say that 500 red dragons descend simultaneously and choose to attack only the elven wizard with the longbow. :)

My point is that I think it creates a somewhat obvious choice. I'm not a fan of powers or abilities that are good enough that they're literally hard to pass up. I think Lord Dynels point is that giving elven wizards (and no other wizards) +4 to hit, double damage, and double range in combat does not rise to that level. He's well within his right to see it that way, particularly as ones view of such things will be colored by the groups one plays with. (for example any group who plays very little combat as part of their game might not care at all) But I've played with a lot of groups, who, if given that option would likely make every wizard be elven since their survivability would be significantly better mathematically. Thankfully, Lord Dynels suggestion is not actually the way the game is written, so it's totally a non-issue at this point. But I do enjoy the academic indepth discussion on such things.

Annnnyyywayyy.....
I think this topic is officially beaten to death. So I'll respectfully bow out at this point (if anyone wants to get the last word, now's your chance because I literally have nothing left to add on this). But I really do appreciate all your thoughts and comments.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Has anyone's mind been changed by all this?

Will anyone's mind be changed by all this?

I'm beginning to reallllllllly dislike elves and wizards both.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

*casts Magic Missile at MYYM*

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Ieuane wrote:So, the G-man's melee proficiency is based on his race, not class. ;)
ONLY if you are a god like being. ;)
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:Has anyone's mind been changed by all this?

Will anyone's mind be changed by all this?
I don't understand the question. What is this "mind changing" of which you speak?
;)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

This argument is all just a mental exercise anyway, right? I mean who plays leaf-eating, tree hugging elves?

Dwarves. Now that's where its at.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

DangerDwarf wrote:Dwarves. Now that's where its at.
With THIS, I'll agree. :geek:
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

DangerDwarf wrote:This argument is all just a mental exercise anyway, right? I mean who plays leaf-eating, tree hugging elves?

Dwarves. Now that's where its at.
DD - have you seen "The Dungeon Bastard's Guide to Racial Profiling"? If not, I think you'll enjoy it, particularly the episode about dwarves. :lol:

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Hah! Never watched that before. EVERYTHING HE SAID WAS TRUE!!!!

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

CKDad wrote:DD - have you seen "The Dungeon Bastard's Guide to Racial Profiling"? If not, I think you'll enjoy it, particularly the episode about dwarves. :lol:
Or even better, half-elves! Half elf...half human...ALL ABOMINATION!
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

mbeacom wrote:My point is that I think it creates a somewhat obvious choice. I'm not a fan of powers or abilities that are good enough that they're literally hard to pass up. I think Lord Dynels point is that giving elven wizards (and no other wizards) +4 to hit, double damage, and double range in combat does not rise to that level. He's well within his right to see it that way, particularly as ones view of such things will be colored by the groups one plays with. (for example any group who plays very little combat as part of their game might not care at all) But I've played with a lot of groups, who, if given that option would likely make every wizard be elven since their survivability would be significantly better mathematically. Thankfully, Lord Dynels suggestion is not actually the way the game is written, so it's totally a non-issue at this point. But I do enjoy the academic indepth discussion on such things.
I'd like to address your post, mb, but I understand that with you bowing out it may not be addressed in return. I guess it's more for sake of the rebuttal than anything else. Well, and I have some more to say, so if the conversation continues I certainly won't complain! :D

There's one ability in the game now that should be in this same conversation but interestingly hasn't come up. I've been waiting for someone else to bring it up, but it hasn't. So I'm going to. And it's kind of written up the way I think the Weapon Training for elves should be rewritten, as to give an advantage to a certain class-race combo (or combos) yet no one has mentioned it. And that ability is the Martial Prowess ability of half-orcs.

This ability gives unarmored half-orcs a +1 AC. It stacks with monk AC bonuses and any AC boosting items that aren't considered armor. This is obviously a racial ability that's going to favor certain combos. Half-orc monks will be better than any other monks. But the same goes for wizards, too. They are officially 5% tougher to kill than their elf or human counterparts. So how come this hasn't come up yet, as an imbalancing factor? Because I don't think it is. But this falls into the same type of ability that a rewritten Weapon Training would. It makes certain half-orc class combos (monk, wizard, illusionist) more desirable over other races. So why isn't this in the same conversation? Should this be written out? Or rewritten so that it doesn't make the half-orc the obvious choice for someone who wants to play a monk?

I bolded a part of your post mb, and you hinted at it above that (with my group) in that I believe that we products of our environments, the groups we play with. You seem to be, or have been, in a gaming situation where every combat bonus is carefully weighed and considered possibly above all else. In these circumstances, I can easily see how an elf wizard would be a valid, even sought after, choice for its combat capability. And if you have fun with those type of groups, more power to you. Fun is what matters. In games like mine, where combat is not the centerpiece of the game, something like this would still be a nice plus (don't get me wrong), but it certainly won't make the choice obvious. I mentioned before, in an earlier post, that I've played 3.x for years. In that game, as you probably know, elves do get this advantage. And in a game more heavily influenced by tactical combat, a game where you would think it matters so much more to have as much offensive firepower as you can muster, it's never been an issue as far as imbalance goes.

mb, I was a little insulted at first, to be honest, with your statement that began "Thankfully, Lord Dynels suggestion is not actually the way the game is written..." insinuating that my "way" would mean the game would be some lesser product if I had a hand in it. But after a few minutes, it ceased to bother me because you've been a good chap up to this point and I wouldn't think you'd stoop to such insensitive comments simply because of a difference of opinion.

YoYo, I don't think anyone's mind been changed. It certainly wasn't my intention to do so, unless you consider me showing a different way to do something as being persuasive. If my offering as a house rule has given some the idea to do it different, awesome! If not, well that's awesome too! :)
DangerDwarf wrote:Dwarves. Now that's where its at.
Little bias, are we DD? :lol: I happen to agree, though! Even with my fancy, nancy house rule, the dwarf is too bad-ass to pass up! :D

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

redwullf wrote:
CKDad wrote:DD - have you seen "The Dungeon Bastard's Guide to Racial Profiling"? If not, I think you'll enjoy it, particularly the episode about dwarves. :lol:
Or even better, half-elves! Half elf...half human...ALL ABOMINATION!
I was particularily fond of the cleric one, myself. :P

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Super quick because I've really mostly moved on.

1. I consider the +1 bonus to unarmored AC more or less equal in power to the +1 bonus that elves get. I see neither as a problem. In fact, I consider them pretty well balanced out. This is in contrast to what amounts to a +4 to hit, double range and double damage that your house rule would effectively give elf wizards. To put it simply. +1 to hit = not a significant advantage. +4 to hit, double damage and double range = significant advantage.

2. I feel badly now about my word choice with regard to the comment you pointed out (Thankfully....). That was not my intention at all and while I absolutely didn't mean any insult, I can now see how some might have been perceived. So for that I'm sorry. Poor wording. Nothing more. My meaning was not that you would make a lesser game or ruin the existing game somehow(this is all subjective academic navel gazing afterall). Far from it. My point was simply that from my perspective of "how it should be" it's nice not to have to change it to get it to where I want it, since it's already there. Basically, I'm thankful that it's someone else needing to make the house rule to get the feel they want rather than me having to houserule a system to get the feel that I want. Is this selfish? I suppose one could look at it that way. But I'm purely expressing my opinion, which I fully recognize is mine and mine alone, and as much as opinions can be, may actually be wrong. If you were in my game right now, I would give your elven wizard proficiency in any elven trained weapon, just to say I'm sorry.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

mbeacom wrote:Super quick because I've really mostly moved on.
Understanadable, and thanks for coming back with your viewpoints!
1. I consider the +1 bonus to unarmored AC more or less equal in power to the +1 bonus that elves get. I see neither as a problem. In fact, I consider them pretty well balanced out. This is in contrast to what amounts to a +4 to hit, double range and double damage that your house rule would effectively give elf wizards. To put it simply. +1 to hit = not a significant advantage. +4 to hit, double damage and double range = significant advantage.
I know we've been at the "agree to disagree" point for a while now, but it's fun to point-counterpoint this conversation. At least to me! :)

I think it's a misstep to not consider the other race's abilities when you talk about this. You look at it from a "elf wizards get +4 to hit, double range, and double damage, and that's it" standpoint, but you don't seem to consider any other of the races' abilities. Sure, when you compare it to nothing it is indeed a significant advantage. You are absolutely correct in that regard. But even in my rewrite I don't think it would make an elf the A1 choice for wizard race. You do, and I understand that.
2. I feel badly now about my word choice with regard to the comment you pointed out (Thankfully....). That was not my intention at all and while I absolutely didn't mean any insult, I can now see how some might have been perceived. So for that I'm sorry. Poor wording. Nothing more. My meaning was not that you would make a lesser game or ruin the existing game somehow(this is all subjective academic navel gazing afterall). Far from it. My point was simply that from my perspective of "how it should be" it's nice not to have to change it to get it to where I want it, since it's already there. Basically, I'm thankful that it's someone else needing to make the house rule to get the feel they want rather than me having to houserule a system to get the feel that I want. Is this selfish? I suppose one could look at it that way. But I'm purely expressing my opinion, which I fully recognize is mine and mine alone, and as much as opinions can be, may actually be wrong. If you were in my game right now, I would give your elven wizard proficiency in any elven trained weapon, just to say I'm sorry.
Hey, no worries. Apology accepted. As I stated, I didn't think you meant ill by it, because I think if you had you probably would have gotten annoyed with me long before that point! :D But I do appreciate you coming back with your explanation.