Heavy Warhorses Rule!

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
BASH MAN

Heavy Warhorses Rule!

Post by BASH MAN »

So I am running my campaign set in Yggsburg, and one of the party members is a split class Knight/Paladin. I used the optional social class rules (but had people roll 2d10 take the average) and modified it by class. Knight was +2 to the social class. The knight ended up being rather rich, so he was able to start out play with a suit of full plate and a heavy war horse instead of the 3d8 HD riding horse that the knight class usually gets according the players handbook.

Needless to say, the heavy warhorse is gross! Mind you, I have been throwing Warg-Riding goblins at the party with multiple hit die goblins riding them, yet I cannot seem to kill off my party! They always manage to somehow survive.

A lot of this is thanks to that heavy warhorse, Silver! Silver has 4d10 HD, the same as a Warg. However instead of a single bite for 2d4 damage, he gets two hooves 1d6+3 each and a bite 1d4+1! The knight class says that you need to make a ride check if you want your horse to attack in a round that you attack. Lately the player has been declaring that he has the horse attack (unless he is doing a lance charge), THEN rolls a ride check to see if HE can attack, as an afterthought. The horse has a better chance to hit, does more damage on average, and has more attacks per round than the knight riding him. No brainer!

Add this to the fact that the knight is nearly impossible to hit in his plate mail and +1 shield (loot from a previous fight) and +2 AC vs evil creatures, and that he can make ride checks to improve his AC by 4 (and the mount's by 2) and he is really disgusting, even though he only has 12 HP! That knight is one well protected character!

It is no wonder that this party of 1st level PCs managed to repulse a goblin invasion coming to Coverdale! A couple days later, they made their way to the cave that the rest of the goblins went to to recuperate! Fantastic. They leveled up after that fight (with the goblin chief, shaman, and lietenants, with a Warg!)

Now they are back in Yggsburg, and I am thinking of having them face the Gnome Burrows adventure. The only question is do I keep the 8HD will-o-wisp there! It does 2d8 damage with every attack, and can only be harmed by magic missile! I think I might either have it not be there, or change it to some other creature.

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That is why, in combat, you do not attack the rider... you kill the mount. No brainer.

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Great tactic for a low level character definitely... it's going to wear a bit thin as his adversaries get a bit more powerful.

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Enemies have been attacking the mount, but they always seem to have trouble hitting, or roll crappy damage. This horse has 28 Hit points! Even a 4HD monster like a Warg or a Goblin Chief with a +2 Spear (and skilled because we are using BD&D weapon mastery) take a few rounds to take the thing down, and nothing lasts that long against the horse!

I am also using my optional Shield Deflecting Rules (see my article idea for the crusader called "In Defense of the Shield") so that everyonce in a while when the knight DOES get hit, he parries. Since the shield is magic, it doesn't even break when he blocks a critical hit, either!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So, where are the "surround the big target" tactics? Twelve goblins surrounding the knight can just drag his plated a**e down, or stab the horse very easily, due to flanking, rear attacks, and well lots of other stuff. Give them lassos and use the touch AC (that would be a whole ten, for the horse, or an 11 for the knight) to loop around and start an overbear... Of course, that's swarm mode, but really, some guy that's striding around on his horse acting all mighty and awesome, is going to draw attention, and hence attacks, to him. Be really disturbing and send three warg-mounted goblin knights (yep, they can be knights, if you want them to be.... with the same mounted combat abilities) after him, flanking from the sides and back.

I dunno... I think its cool the knight is tough, but he sure is not invulnerable.

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

When the goblins DID do that manuver, they did not manage to get a hit in the first round (they rolled poorly). Then the knight made a ride check to jump over the goblins (a class ability), kept riding, leaned over the side and picked up an unconsious character (another ride check) and rode away! It was a thing of beauty!

Since then, the knight has been more cautious about going ahead of the party!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The important thing is if the players are feeling challenged and having fun.

If you really want to kill the PC's you can. The knight can't protect everyone all the time.

They can always trip attack his horse, I do believe tripping rules are in C&C, I would have to look again to be sure. If not make some up! Trip his horse, let him do a riding check to safely dismount, take damage if he doesn't, risk being pinned if he doesn't, have the horse do some kind of Dex check to avoid breaking a leg, all kinds of stuff.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Plus, aren't you having the Knight only able to use his lance on a charge attack? Very limiting in its movement.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Just have the goblins well armed with Bec de Corbins (+2 to hit v. plate and chain).

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Don't forget our discussion on the mancatcher from DF. Great weapon for pulling riders off their mounts!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Right, but these goblins were not planning the perfect assault to kil a knight. They never expected a knight on a heavy warhorse to come to them! This is on the outskirts of Coverdale. There isn't even a ROAD to Coverdale! The PCs traveled their mainly by barge, then walked a day from the river.

The Lance only does triple damage on a charge, yes. If the knight is not charging, he usually has the horse attack, then rolls a ride check to see if HE is able to attack or not.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Where was the goblin shaman with a blindness or light spell aimed at the horse's eyes? Or lob a snake at its feet. Horses hate those things.

Shame, really. Missed a perfect opportunity to scrounge up some fresh bones for a game of Clakkity. You know these days, what with the failing goblin economy, knight skulls don't come cheap when you have to pick 'em up at the local goblin sporting goods store.

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I that once word gets around the local bad guys about this knight, you're going to see some caltrops being made.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Once word started to spread among the goblins and such I think they would start avoiding the knight in open combat, make the knight come into their lairs(which should be too small for the horse). Night attacks work great too, can't sleep in the platemail, and the horse and rider would be seperated, much easier targets.

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

I think that is great. An armored and well-mounted knight should be a terror in battle, IMO -- much more effective than a standard mounted man-at-arms, for example. Combat-wise, such a character would really steal-the-show in an outdoor adventure against low-level enemies. Put him in a dungeon where he's not on his mount and he won't shine quite so brightly, though.

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

next time I am having them go on a dungeon hack.