Umbrage Saga Content

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Tron
Ungern

Umbrage Saga Content

Post by Tron »

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the pdf sale TLG is running.

What I'm debating...should I purchase the Umbrage Saga or the individual modules? Does Umbrage Sage include all the contect from A0 to A5? Does it include "Back to Blacktooth Ridge" or "Return to Blacktooth Ridge"? Does it include the "A Series Umbrage Saga Fragments"?? Is the new material in Umbrage Saga worth getting??

Thanks for the assistance guys!!

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Umbrage Saga Content

Post by Treebore »

* A0-A5 Adventure Modules (Perfect Bound in one Book)
* PDF releases for Blacktooth Ridge
* 10 New encounter areas for the Blacktooth Ridge, Botkinburg, Ludensheim and the Barren Wood
* Area map for Airhde and New Aenoch
* Area map for the Hrueson River
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Tron wrote: Is the new material in Umbrage Saga worth getting??

YES!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tron
Ungern

Post by Tron »

Thanks for the response Tree...

From your list, it appears both the add ons to Blacktooth Ridge are there.

Also re-reading "A Series Umbrage Saga Fragments" description, it looks like this material is included also (I would assume in the encounter section).

I'm really leaning toward the box set!!

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I second Treebore - it's definitely worth springing for the box set due to all the extras.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Tron
Ungern

Post by Tron »

Yeah I'm thinking box set too.

My only real concern is not getting all the content in the individual modules...but that does not appear to be the case. Better yet...seems the box set includes additional material.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You get all the material in the Umbrage modules, plus the .pdf releases... PLUS MORE! The Umbrage Saga box set is gold. Very dungeon heavy, but a great series of mods that also gives a ton of flavor to the setting of Aihrde.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:You get all the material in the Umbrage modules, plus the .pdf releases... PLUS MORE! The Umbrage Saga box set is gold. Very dungeon heavy, but a great series of mods that also gives a ton of flavor to the setting of Aihrde.

~O

Even if you have bought all the originals, like I did, this is well worth getting. If you haven't bought all the originals this is DEFINITELY the way to go!

Between this and the Airhde Folio you have a very well fleshed out campaign to about level 7 laid out for you. With up to level 14 yet to come! Which, according to Troll Tusk, should be by the end of this year!

Tron
Ungern

Post by Tron »

Thats it...I'm buying the box set!!!

Thanks for all the help guys :)

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Is it only me that has issues with this adventure set? I find myself having to flush things out a TON and create whole sections so that one adventure flows into the next. I feel like there isn't a strong enough center to this series.

Am I overlooking something that makes all these adventures lead from one to the other?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

GameOgre wrote:Is it only me that has issues with this adventure set? I find myself having to flush things out a TON and create whole sections so that one adventure flows into the next. I feel like there isn't a strong enough center to this series.

Am I overlooking something that makes all these adventures lead from one to the other?
Hey good buddy, how youse doin'?

The answer is YES. Reread or peruse Assault on Blacktooth Ridge. Botkinburg is the perfect focal point for all the A series adventures. Ludensheim would also do.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Since this box set is a compilation of the A-series, some CK work linking the modules together will be neccessary IMO. Sure, each module can be run one after the other to form an entire campaign, but as they were originally designed there probably was that intent that each one could be run individually as well. Those modules got compiled, but other than some new material inserted here and there, the CK will have to work at linking some of these together. Some CKs run the episodic adventure module where the linking of these mods is not needed. When one module is over, the next one starts with the CK describing what happened since the last session. Some CKs don't run episodic games, where this linking material needs to be fleshed out for sure.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Maybe I'm being too picky but I think a one or even two pages on how to set it up so that the entire series as a whole could be run as one mega adventure is badly missing. Granted most experienced Keepers can just make it up themselves but I think that option not being included will leave many new Keepers hanging.

I do not think it would be too hard to add this in now,at least on the PDF.

Don't get me wrong I really like these adventures I just think new keepers will have to do a lot more work to make it work then perhaps they know how to do.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've found the series to link together on its own very well. Especially if you role play enough, you get the NPC's mentioning the links to these various locations, giving the leads necessary to find the gnomes, then Slag Heap, then on to Ludensheim, etc... I had no problem getting my players to decide on where to go and pretty much at the right times too.

When I played through it with Nwelte CKing it I think he got us to go where we needed, when we needed, without it feeling heavy handed at all.

Now if they kill everything without interrogating, then you will have problems. If you have a group that realizes you need to take prisoners in order to get information and leads, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Right.

Good comments, Treebore.

The other thing that I did and still do, since our group is still in the general vicinity . . is have certain modules ready - so that if the group suddenly decide to go due east of the blacktooth mountains, they would encounter the Keep on the Borderlands.

Further east leads to the Haunted Highlands.

Northeast . . Tell Qua (James Mishler's Wilderness town).

North/northeast - Cairn of the Skeleton King.

Due west . . Castle Zagyg and slightly SW - Yggsburgh. Further west Barovia.

Southwest . . Village of Hommlet.

Etc.

:P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ooh! I had forgotten you did that map! I'll have to get you to e-mail me that full file when we game today.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:Ooh! I had forgotten you did that map! I'll have to get you to e-mail me that full file when we game today.
Let me find it and I'll email ya a copy. It's on my old HD. I don't recall if the imageshack copy is the highest res or not.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:Ooh! I had forgotten you did that map! I'll have to get you to e-mail me that full file when we game today.
Let me find it and I'll email ya a copy. It's on my old HD. I don't recall if the imageshack copy is the highest res or not.

[Edit . . click on the image and blow it up to it's high res - and then right click to save image!]

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Did it, thanks!

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Rhuvein wrote:Let me find it and I'll email ya a copy. It's on my old HD. I don't recall if the imageshack copy is the highest res or not.

[Edit . . click on the image and blow it up to it's high res - and then right click to save image!]
Rhu, this map might be the answer to my prayers. I can't decide if I want to run my son through GH or Airhde. If I keep the campaign "zoomed in" for now, I can follow your map's lead and let him go where he wants. He's only 8, so some railroading may be necessary, but it's my hope that he plays in the campaign world like it's a sandbox: he doesn't have to "do" anything/complete quests. He can simply travel if he wants to.

Thanks!

Happy gaming,
Zudrak
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Excellent!

It was fun creating the map. Hexmapper is an easy to do program.

Oh, and I remembered that Galveston's Tower and Capendu are from Lion in the Ropes (great module that our group finished last time we played) and The Royal Family Archibald should have the word tomb at the end . . it's Rob Kuntz's Cairn of the Skeleton King.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

One of the things that I found bothered me a bit was that the overland maps are missing certain things that I would like to see thrown in there. I have taken to Photoshop again, and am manually adding in things mentioned in the text but not shown on the maps. For example, in the Malforten to Botkinburg Map#1, it would be cool to see where the Rizen creek is, and see the trail/road to Gipsheim and Dreddstun. Also, the old imperil road network would be cool to denote, even though it is nearly non-existent anymore or covered in most areas. Seeing the villages mapped out, with respect to the craggy hill overlooking Malforten and so on, would be cool too. Bridge locations would be neat also.
When comparing that map to the new blown up version of the New Aenochia region (which is an awesome map), I see a point where the Drunderry forks, continuing south but also joining the Hruesen; placement implies that it would most likely fork at the Elmarsh Lake. I guess as a mapaholic, I would like to see Map #1 redone, with more detail, in the style of the Yggsburg overland map that came in the folio, as well as an overhead of the villages of the region. Hrueset is large, and it would be cool to see this officially fleshed out more. That being said, I am doing all these maps myself right now, mainly because I'm crazy, but also because it will be very helpful in the future in my campaign.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Looks like I'm going to finally run the A series for a group of 4 next Monday. I'll also have to see about linking these adventures together somehow. I may be back for further advice.

Valens
Mist Elf

Post by Valens »

You wouldn't happen to have the original hex mapper file for this would you?

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I've got a quick question about the Umbrage Saga. Is there a difference between the 1st print of the box and the 2nd?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Different box. Though, I heard there was some additional material added to the beginning of the book. I have never seen a difference though.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I've always been curious. I might pick up the 2nd one day and check.