What Game to Pick Up this year at GC?

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
ArgoForg
Red Cap

What Game to Pick Up this year at GC?

Post by ArgoForg »

Okay, I've made it a habit every year I've gone to Gen Con to try to pick up one new Fantasy or Super game system, whether or not I really needed it, because I like to see how other game systems handle certain rules/items/spells/powers/etc and see if there is anything that sparks ideas for adventures (and just because I'm a bit of a rules whore. :mrgreen:) This was how I was introduced to C&C three years or so ago, and I've tried to make it a habit ever since, because that was obviously such an awesome experience.

Two years ago, I was going to grab Exalted 2nd Edition, but White Wolf didn't actually have a booth where they sold anything, apparently... except drinks, rave music and touts to their con in New Orleans. (I have a rant on that somewhere on DA, I'm pretty sure.) I honestly forget what I picked up that year; I was pretty bummed. I considered L5R, but I wound up mostly getting world books instead.

Last year, I picked up a hard copy of OSRIC. I'd been considering it several months, but the size, scope and price of the book went ahead and sold me on Sunday last year. I also considered Exalted again, but I was still sour from the year before and never got around to actually buying it.

So this year, I'm casting a line out for opinions. What core rules or rules+world book should Argo spend his money on this year? I'm interested to hear people's suggestions! I would prefer to stick to (preferably) Fantasy or Super-style RPGs, and I do know that Goodman's DCC and MWP's Marvel games are probably high on the leaderboard right now, but I'll listen to any opinions, natch!

(Oh, and I really don't need any suggestions about anything from TLG... I already know the guys annually figure heavily into my wallet... and I make it a point to always pick up some stuff and chat up the Trolls for a while when I'm in the Marketplace, ever since the first year when they sold me on C&C in record time.)
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: What Game to Pick Up this year at GC?

Post by Omote »

Hmm. If you are into LOTR, there's supposed to be a new hardcopy supplement for last years new Lord of the Rings RPG. I can;t remember what it is called, but I'm going to check that out. The base game was pretty cool and had unbelieveable production values.

I don't really do Supers so I have nothing to suggest on that front.

I'm going to try to snag two GenCon debut games (unfortunately both will be in limited edition for the time being) of Star Trek Catan and RIFTS: Black Market.

The only thing I plan on buying from the Trolls is the new PHB if it makes the show and booze. Damn, they owe me some of that (I got the note to prove it!) ;)

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

On the Supers Front - Have you tried Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition yet? I've got 1st & 2nd Edition and decided to get 3rd edition for Fantasy Grounds to try it out. It's a bit different and worth a look through.

For Fantasy, I'd recommend Dungeon Crawl Classics, my other recommendations - though I haven't personally picked these four up yet are (1) Hackmaster Player's Handbook and (2) Savage World's Deluxe edition with the (3) Savage Worlds Fantasy Companion and the (4) Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion, so you'd be able to get your Supers & Fantasy with the Savage ruleset.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Omote, are you talking about The One Ring? If so, I think their Tales from Wilderland adventure is due in August, making it prime GenCon fodder.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yessir, CKDad. All of that is correct. I'm not sure why I can't remember things today.

Tales from the Wilderland for The One Ring RPG.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

I'd have to go with Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorers Edition that should be available at Gencon. It's a great generic system so you can get your supers or fantasy or modern or whatever you want...and the kicker is...it's $10 for the rulebook. Can't beat that price and the system is growing on me for modern/supers/horror/pulp/etc stuff.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I second DCC RPG if you don't have it yet. Even if you don't play it as-is, there are some really fun ideas and good inspiration therein.

Not fantasy or superhero, but you might check out Colonial Gothic RPG. A supernatural twist to the American Revolution. I picked up a copy a few years ago and it's a lot of fun.
CKDad wrote:Omote, are you talking about The One Ring? If so, I think their Tales from Wilderland adventure is due in August, making it prime GenCon fodder.
Maybe. I was on the C7 boards and got the impression that Tales would be delayed, and the special GenCon adventure wouldn't quite make it to GenCon. Add that to the fact that C7 just pulled all of their PDF sales and ... well it's making folks nervous. There is supposed to be a GM screen for The One Ring for sale at GenCon, but maybe no other new products.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

X-plorers!!!!!!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

finarvyn wrote:
CKDad wrote:Omote, are you talking about The One Ring? If so, I think their Tales from Wilderland adventure is due in August, making it prime GenCon fodder.
Maybe. I was on the C7 boards and got the impression that Tales would be delayed, and the special GenCon adventure wouldn't quite make it to GenCon. Add that to the fact that C7 just pulled all of their PDF sales and ... well it's making folks nervous. There is supposed to be a GM screen for The One Ring for sale at GenCon, but maybe no other new products.
Grr. Not good news. I'm a little bummed now.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Other than any C&C offerings, I also suggest Savage Worlds Deluxe (especially the 10.00 softcover). Also, you can't go wrong with the Sav Worlds Supers Companion, and the supers plot point, Necessary Evil.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Omote wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
Grr. Not good news. I'm a little bummed now.
Yeah, that's pretty much what everyone on the C7 boards are saying. :cry:
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

After the first day in the marketplace (and somehow managing to not spend that much money at all), I can say that One Ring and Savage Worlds are probably the direction I'm looking at (although, if White Wolf still has Exalted, I will be grabbing it, too.... YAY, no horrible Rave Booth this year!) DCC is out, simply because it appears Goodman Games is a no-show this year, according to the directory. Will keep y'all up to date!
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Someone on the RPG.net boards with a friend at GenCon said that the Wilderland book for The One Ring in PDF had been taken down due to a licensing issue they can't discuss. (Speculation is that Tolkein Enterprises isn't keen on the PDFs, but no one who knows is talking.) However, the new products are apparently available at GenCon, so that's good news.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

All the new The One Ring RPG products are available at GenCon and look awesome. The GM screen is really cool.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I picked up All For One: Regime Diabolique for some Musketeer style (and then some) gaming goodness.

http://www.tripleacegames.com/store/ind ... hqtu6b2gt1
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

So much for keeping everyone up to date!

I ended up grabbing Exalted, 2nd Edition (they are apparently about to churn out 3E, so I got 2E for $10, hardcover!) and then picked up the Savage Worlds $9.99 softcover, along with the Fantasy Companion PDF on CD. It's definitely given me a little to read over the coming weeks. I also picked up Cookie Fu (right next door to TLG... they had a wonderful presentation, and the game is actually easy enough for the kids to learn) and Cthulhu Dice (just because).

Oh, and like $100+ at TLG. Those darn guys consistently find ways to hoover my wallet. :D