Domesday VII

A forum to discuss Endless Worlds Organised Play events.
(NOTE: This was the Society News forum and has legacy threads that have not yet been sorted)
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Domesday VII

Post by Relaxo »

oy.
Good luck with it Pat.
Good thing no info lost, that's the silver lining.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Good luck on it.

I know your pain. I had the same thing happened in the middle of one of my classes ... Talk about panic ... "I need that final draft on my paper in 2 days... Why won’t my computer turn on ... Oh God ... Please work ... Noooooooo!!!"
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've only had my computers crash like that 3 times on me in over 20 years, but the headache was always bad enough that I got good at doing back up copies of my files.

If your interested I know where you can get some free tools on line that can help you recover your files. Not easy to use, but can save you a lot of money.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I lost all of my work 3-4 months back. Everything I'd written for C&C and for Ruins and Radiation (tm). I did have them on DVD and external drive, but discovered the DVDs stopped being read and the external drive is dead (it won't power on.) So... backups are nice but they're not a fail-safe. Guess I should have backed up to more media or used one of those costly online services.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Ah... backups.

I have some of my critical stuff backed up and, when computers have expired in the past, I have always manged to yank out the hard drive to put them into another computer to get to what I need .... My last computer's hard drive became an extra drive in my newer computer. If the drives make a move to a new home, likely the smaller 250 GB will be 'retired' and my 1 TB will become my junk drive on a computer which will likely carry even more space (or a smaller SSD).

While a computer dying is never a fun thing, I have to be thankful and say that, while I've lost power supplies, and CPU fans, and even a motherboard -- in the past 20 years or so, I have never lost a hard drive. Here's hoping to another 20 years of this kind of luck. And, given Murphy's law, maybe I should get a RAID setup to have a constant back up of my drive! LOL

It's weird not having a computer which is my own. Being in an uncomfortable financial spot right now, I can't just dump money on a quick computer/replacement purchase. Having recently gotten free of a ridiculously high Dell interest payment plan, I don't relish the thought of getting back into one quite yet. Who knows, I may cave in a week or so. ;)

I'll figure something out but, if I'm lucky I'll be able to simply fix what I have and get up and running again.

M

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

oh dudes, try Cryptonite online backup.
Bill D.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dropbox and photo bucket are good online alternatives. So between those, and a half dozen 16 and 32 GByte memory sticks, I have a lot of back ups of what I/we find important. We also have several computers in our house hold, 5 of them, in fact. So we copy files between them pretty regular using our wi fi.

So we won't lose anything but the most recent of files.

Gaming PDF wise, it helps that Paizo and Drivethru give you unlimited down loads.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:Gaming PDF wise, it helps that Paizo and Drivethru give you unlimited down loads.
And, Steve Jackson Games that also has no time limit. There are pdf's I bought there years ago and they are still there.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Treebore wrote:Gaming PDF wise, it helps that Paizo and Drivethru give you unlimited down loads.
And, Steve Jackson Games that also has no time limit. There are pdf's I bought there years ago and they are still there.

True. Kenzer also gives something like 5 free downloads for their PDF's. I don't buy from everyone, so not sure what a complete list would look like.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

For my limited PDF collection I have them backed up twice. The original copy is on my computer, backup 1 is on a CD or Flash Drive and back up 2 is on Dropbox. While I know many places give you extra or unlimited downloads I have learned that this is not a guaranteed option. When WOTC pulled their PDFs RPGNow customers only had a few days access their 'back up' server.

Currently I am testing out Dropbox to store my gaming backups and other files just in case I loose them on my PC.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I'm back.

A new computer... a bit of determination... and a few more days to restore files and software and make sense of it all means I'll be getting back to work on this soon enough.

More to follow.

M

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Huzzah!

Let me know how I can help, Pat!
Bill D.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Is there any news on this one?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

A couple people have reached out to me recently but in short, I put the Domesday on hold as I am pursuing other ideas and getting some work done on a particular project of importance to Arcana Creations.

That said, I will have some sort of official response shortly with regards to the Domesday and future issues.

M

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I've finally managed to break through my computer funk and get a little time to get a couple more pieces of fantasy art done... so I'm rarin' to send some work your way when it's convenient! :D
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."