I hate fey!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

I hate fey!

Post by Buttmonkey »

I hate fey. Just sayin'. They're small, they're boring, they're annoying, they're not-fun. I just hates 'em.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Re: I hate fey!

Post by Dracyian »

Thats a bit straight forward, I had a friend in high school who hated Elves so much that he removed them from all of his campaigns completely

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Buttmonkey wrote:I hate fey. Just sayin'. They're small, they're boring, they're annoying, they're not-fun. I just hates 'em.

Fortunately they aren't common. Have some alchemist come up with "Fey spray". Kinda like Raid...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:I hate fey. Just sayin'. They're small, they're boring, they're annoying, they're not-fun. I just hates 'em.
I hear they hate you too. :P

But seriously, they hates your guts. :P

No, really, you just need to find the right kind to make your PC's lives less "boring." There are some truly wicked ones in the M&ToA.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Fey can be deliciously evil, or wickedly fun, just depends.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

If you use the Faery races according to ancient lore and myth as a model for story ideas, the possibilities are quite endless. I have used them for twenty years and never ran out of substance or unique and fun ideas. It is all in the approach, besides certain monsters and animals also fall into the fey classification too giving more options.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Arduin wrote:

Fortunately they aren't common. Have some alchemist come up with "Fey spray". Kinda like Raid...
Oh, I like that. Nothing is better than a dead fey except a fey that died a horrible, poison-based suffocating death! Stupid pixies and nixies and brownies... No doubt there are gazillions of creative ways to use fey in your game, particularly to torture the party, but for me they are the villains I hate to hate. Just can't stand 'em.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Wouldn't that be "love to hate"? "Hate to hate" indicates to me you actually love them. :D
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
... "Hate to hate" indicates to me you actually love them. :D

Ohhhhhh good point. Now we are getting somewhere :lol:

As for me, I'm in the 'love them' camp. Yes they can (and should) be annoying. However, if a party is smart they not only put up with the annoying but actualy support the fey with little gifts etc. This in turn make those little annoying buggers friends that can help out in sooooooooo many ways.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:Wouldn't that be "love to hate"? "Hate to hate" indicates to me you actually love them. :D
Nah. My fey hatred is stronger than any double negative. "Love to hate" indicates a villain that you hate (because the character is villainous), but enjoy having around because they are a high quality villain. For example, Cersei or Tywin Lannister on/in Game of Thrones. You enjoy the character, yet hope they finally get what's coming to them. "Hate to hate" are villains that you hate because they are villainous, but also hate having around because they are not high quality villains, just characters that you wish would go away. For example, if you watched Smash last season, there was a personal assistant to the musical's producer who was a nasty little creature who made watching the show a misery at times. I didn't want to see him get justice, I wanted him off the damn show so I could enjoy it more. The fey fall into that category.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Everyone has their hates or preferences, mine are zombies. I cannot get 'into' them at all and no matter what genre I have them in, or show/movie/book they are boring to me. For a decade I have hosted a horror TV show and only played one zombie movie in it all. There is nothing that can convince me to like them otherwise and it is rarer they are in my adventures I design because there are far more exciting beings and monsters to use (i.e. 'faeries') that further the story along, set challenges and create interesting NPCs and plots not possible with the shambling undead.

Faery-folk have been an essential part of many belief systems for thousands of years and often get mistranslated into gaming terms, making them lose their validity or 'image' (Disney doesn't help either). They should not be the dainty Victorian Tinkerbells or flower faeries of all things nice, they need to be the traditional beings of malign or benign presence, rarely beneficial. ;)

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

what about a zombie leprechaun? now we have uber hate monster.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

I think after enough whiskey they are zombies already!

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote:what about a zombie leprechaun? now we have uber hate monster.

House Rules

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Brilliant find Arduin! See, they are among us...

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

I heard Davis is writing a Gnome sourcebook.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

It can be bought on the Gnome Shopping Network.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Celticgamer wrote:Brilliant find Arduin! See, they are among us...
That's what I look like after a quart of Bushmills :mrgreen:

House Rules

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

:lol:

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

They're great in the morning on English muffins with cheese and coffee.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Celticgamer wrote:If you use the Faery races according to ancient lore and myth as a model for story ideas, the possibilities are quite endless. I have used them for twenty years and never ran out of substance or unique and fun ideas. It is all in the approach, besides certain monsters and animals also fall into the fey classification too giving more options.
Yep, or use some of the basic stuff in monster books!! :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmmm, BM's posts lead me believe he has some latent tendencies towards "fey love".

It's OK, BM. You'll be among friend here. The Trolls and most of us are swinging fey loving CKs!!

;)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I hate how the fey are portrayed. I much prefer the darker type, rather than the children fable variety. We need a Grimm's Fey...

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rhuvein wrote:Hmmm, BM's posts lead me believe he has some latent tendencies towards "fey love".

It's OK, BM. You'll be among friend here. The Trolls and most of us are swinging fey loving CKs!!

;)
Oh, you will pay for that. Grr...

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

this becoming one of those "doth protest too much" I think....

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

serleran wrote:I hate how the fey are portrayed. I much prefer the darker type, rather than the children fable variety. We need a Grimm's Fey...
There are no children's variety of fey portrayed in the Codex for sure! This was not how they were seen by the early Celts even into modern times. These are akin to the Grimm's view.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Dracyian wrote:this becoming one of those "doth protest too much" I think....

you beat me to it :( ;)
Celticgamer wrote:
serleran wrote:I hate how the fey are portrayed. I much prefer the darker type, rather than the children fable variety. We need a Grimm's Fey...
There are no children's variety of fey portrayed in the Codex for sure! This was not how they were seen by the early Celts even into modern times. These are akin to the Grimm's view.
Ohhhhh let the VA come through soon, so I have extra mone ... please ... I wnat this book!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society