What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by Treebore »

Dracyian wrote:
I love me some MtG I don't think I could sell my cards or stop playing
\
I did, after Ice Age.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Treebore wrote:
Dracyian wrote:
I love me some MtG I don't think I could sell my cards or stop playing
\
I did, after Ice Age.
Shortly after Ice age is when I started playing and I don't buy into all the new expansions but I do thoroughly enjoy the Urza Saga and the whole world, multiverse mechanics are pretty cool and some igneous creatures artifacts and spells exist in there, like counterspell

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Survive: Escape from Atlantis, and Warhammer Quest again (I got me some new dungeon tiles that I am looking forward to trying out). If you consider BattleTech a boardgame, which it practically is, then that too.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Dungeon Command.

I Picked the game up a while ago - Sting of Lloth and Heart of Cormyr. I left Cormyr in the shrink wrap but did the full unboxing for Lloth (punching out the tokens, putting the cards in sleeves, etc). I tried to set it up once before didn't get very far. As I had some time this 4th of July weekend (Happy Independence Day to all the American Trolls out there!). I went at it again with the Lloth set. Using the first time rules and playing against myself to get a feel for it. Then managed to get my wife to join me in a game. We both enjoyed the game. Overall, I'd recommend it.

It plays pretty fast and I'm sure any wargaming or MtG player catch on rather quickly as it incorporates elements of both: Tapping of cards, immediate responses, etc. with tactical movement, hit points, etc. It has good strategy and lot of depth to pull from and that was just from one game with one box set. I'm not that into deck building (or in this case warband building), so no need for me to buy 4 box sets to maximize a particular warband. That being said, I would as a completest love to get the other 3 box sets
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

After the summer, my friend and I will resume trying out Axis and Allies WWI. We only played one round, so it's too early to say. Game needs more chips. Anyway, Troll James and I have been parked next to (while working the Troll Lord booth at DieCon)a couple of guys who made their own board game. We met them last year, and actually played the demo this year. Loved it. The game is called Quicksilver. It's a dice and card driven airship racing game. Hex map with mountains and clouds, the other side features buildings. Cardstock obstacles are included (gun turrets, extra clouds, and mines). Game has pretty good production values. Each race is different and random. You can be a gentleman racer, or try to attack your opponents. Some elements of Circus Maximus, to a degree at least. Check it out at splitsecondgames.com.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

A quick boardgame-question: Have any of you played Descent Journeys in the Dark (2nd ed) and can you recommend it as a two-player game (one overlord and one other player controlling two heroes)?? It's for sale at 35% off so I'm considering if I should buy this game.
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

tylermo wrote:After the summer, my friend and I will resume trying out Axis and Allies WWI. We only played one round, so it's too early to say. Game needs more chips. Anyway, Troll James and I have been parked next to (while working the Troll Lord booth at DieCon)a couple of guys who made their own board game. We met them last year, and actually played the demo this year. Loved it. The game is called Quicksilver. It's a dice and card driven airship racing game. Hex map with mountains and clouds, the other side features buildings. Cardstock obstacles are included (gun turrets, extra clouds, and mines). Game has pretty good production values. Each race is different and random. You can be a gentleman racer, or try to attack your opponents. Some elements of Circus Maximus, to a degree at least. Check it out at splitsecondgames.com.
I'm really interested in hearing more about A&A:WWI. My wife is a former history teacher and WWI was her favorite subject, followed closely by the American Civil War.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Desrimal wrote:A quick boardgame-question: Have any of you played Descent Journeys in the Dark (2nd ed) and can you recommend it as a two-player game (one overlord and one other player controlling two heroes)?? It's for sale at 35% off so I'm considering if I should buy this game.
I've only played it once, so far, with 4 of us playing, so cannot say how it plays with just 2. I would guess it will play fine, but cannot be sure since I haven't tried it that way.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Was able to get a few games in of Cars Wars (Card Game), Space Hulk: Death Angel, and Chomp (a slap jack/war variant with colorful cards) over the weekend.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I think we're going to get a run in of Warlords of Europe this weekend.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

TheMetal1 wrote:Was able to get a few games in of Cars Wars (Card Game), Space Hulk: Death Angel, and Chomp (a slap jack/war variant with colorful cards) over the weekend.
Is the reprint of Car Wars out yet?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Buttmonkey wrote:Is the reprint of Car Wars out yet?
Yes, I would say so.

They are all pdf's but they give you templates to make your own cars etc.

Including the hard to get; Auto Duel Quarterly makes it even sweeter.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:Is the reprint of Car Wars out yet?
Yes, I would say so.

They are all pdf's but they give you templates to make your own cars etc.

Including the hard to get; Auto Duel Quarterly makes it even sweeter.
Those look like PDFs of the old stuff. When SJG was doing its Kickstarter for Ogre, I thought I read they were planning on rereleasing Car Wars in hard copy, possibly in a new edition.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Really enjoying Cyclades and Cadwallon: City of Thieves.

Playing a ton of Elder Sign at lunch at work.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Buttmonkey wrote:Those look like PDFs of the old stuff. When SJG was doing its Kickstarter for Ogre, I thought I read they were planning on rereleasing Car Wars in hard copy, possibly in a new edition.
Reprinting wasn't the best word then. New version would've made it much more clear.

All I know is the success of Ogre means that they will do a new version of Car Wars. (Probably in the same format, but who knows?)

When? I'd guess not for awhile. They are very much into Ogre right now and Ogre took quite awhile to get right.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:Those look like PDFs of the old stuff. When SJG was doing its Kickstarter for Ogre, I thought I read they were planning on rereleasing Car Wars in hard copy, possibly in a new edition.
Reprinting wasn't the best word then. New version would've made it much more clear.

All I know is the success of Ogre means that they will do a new version of Car Wars. (Probably in the same format, but who knows?)

When? I'd guess not for awhile. They are very much into Ogre right now and Ogre took quite awhile to get right.

Yeah, Car Wars is coming along, but it will probably be late next year before we see anything approaching OGRE in size/scope, but we should see the "pocket additions" a bit sooner.

If you backed the OGRE KS you could've/should've joined the "Uber Secret Car Wars Reborn" forum.

Which reminds me, I need to go check the OGRE KS pages because they were hoping to post pictures of the stuff at the factories in China. They posted the dice yesterday.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

We planned on our C&C game yesterday continuing in the Ruins of Ramat, as we waited for the rest of the team to come over, we decided to try out a board game in the interim. After a few minutes it was decided we try out Munchkin Quest. I've got the Expansion, along with the Portals, but none of the other had tried it or heard of it. So we set to it, as we were well into it, by the time the final party member showed everyone decided to keep playing MQ. We used nearly all the rooms and it was a race to the entrance/exit as everyone was 10th Level. A Great game ending way late in the evening. A lot of fun, but I'll recommend that we just try Munchkin as it has much shorter set-up/tear down and makes it easier to stop playing.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I'm starting to get back into Go a bit, mostly playing against the computer, but also against some people via ItsYourTurn.com .

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Had one player who couldn't make the C&C game and one of the players wanted to host the game at his house, everyone was running late again, so he and his kids set up Munchkin Quest. They like the games so much they went out and bought it a day or so after the first time we played it, and have run the game a few more time.

All in all it was another fun game, with my character perishing to a hairy undead squirrel after getting a chicken on my head curse. They now have regular munchkin so we'll see in a couple of weeks what's up next.

As a side note, have any of you run Steve Jackson's Hacker game? I have it ready to go, but haven't tried it out yet. Just wondering about game play and the like.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

No, we love Munchkin Quest ourselves, but I hadn't even heard of Hacker.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Here is the link: http://www.sjgames.com/hacker/

And the blurb...
Origins Award for Best Modern-Day Boardgame of 1993
Origins Award for Best Modern-Day Boardgame of 1992

Hacker: Deluxe Edition

Designed by Steve Jackson • Cover art by Jeffery K. Starling

Suggested Retail Price $34.95 • Stock number 1313
ISBN 1-55634-564-X
Out Of Print – Click here for dealer info

Can you break into the world's toughest computer systems? In Hacker, players sail through the Net, competing to invade the most systems. The more systems you crack, the more you learn, and the easier your next target is. You can find back doors and secret phone lines, and even crash the systems your rivals are using. But be careful. There's a Secret Service Raid waiting for you!

Designed by Steve Jackson, Hacker requires guile and diplomacy. To win, you must trade favors with your fellow hackers – and get more than you give away. But jealous rivals will try to bust you. Three busts and you're out of the game! The Deluxe Edition combines the original Hacker and Hacker II – The Dark Side in one edition with all-new components.

Hacker won the 1992 Origins Award for Best Modern-Day Boardgame . . . and Hacker II – The Dark Side won the same award the next year! Now both great games are back in one great package
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

With my annual Thanksgiving trip to the mountains coming up, it's time to blow the dust off of my Heroscape stuff and get ready for a long weekend of "capture the flag." :twisted:

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Apparently I am very one-sided. Going to go back to playing some Warhammer Quest next week. Except this time, we are going to explore all manner of outdoor adventures. I tend to run WHQ like a light roleplaying game. While we have done some outdoor adventures in the past, we have never strung a series of games based on it. I picked up some D&D/Pathfinder outdoor tiles and the game will continue in the wild elements of the trees and glens of the Great Forest between Talabecland and The Ostermark.

We'll also try some Survive! Escape from Atlantis. There has also been word of a possible game of Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ilkusa, or possible some Axis & Allies.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Omote wrote:We'll also try some Survive! Escape from Atlantis. There has also been word of a possible game of Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ilkusa, or possible some Axis & Allies.
Survive! is one game I need to pick up. I've seen it in the B&N and remember playing it with my friends when I was a kid. Then I saw in a Game store expansion for it that looked very cool - just did some googlefu and the expansions are: 5-6 player; Dolphins & Dive; and Giant Squid.

I'm a proud owner of the big box Samurai Swords, but only played it a couple of times. Assumption Ikusa is the same thing?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

TheMetal1 wrote: I'm a proud owner of the big box Samurai Swords, but only played it a couple of times. Assumption Ikusa is the same thing?
Shogun and Ilkusa are the same exact game as Samurai Swords. The name Shogun was ditched because of IP rights, and Ilkusa is the latest version of the game (everything is the same, but the pieces are different colors than the originals).

Survive: Escape from Atlantis (and all of the other names that game went by over the past 30 years) is great fun for such a simple game. I have yet to actually play with the expansions yet.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Punched, assembled and sorted the counters from one of my two sets of OGRE, Designer's Edition last night. Took my son & I 2.5 hours. We'll get a game in at some point in the next couple of days, and will be taking it over my FLGS charity Game-a-thon on Friday.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

My father recently picked up last night on earth zombie apocalypse game, havent had a chance to read through it or even start dealing with the pieces that need to punched out, but looks cool

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

CKDad wrote:Punched, assembled and sorted the counters from one of my two sets of OGRE, Designer's Edition last night. Took my son & I 2.5 hours. We'll get a game in at some point in the next couple of days, and will be taking it over my FLGS charity Game-a-thon on Friday.

How is the storage holding up? Do you think it will be a good idea to reinforce it with the foam spray that they demonstrated?

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I think that if it's left in the box, it will be fine. We did pull that tray out to look at it and one of the corners had split, so you might want to check that and apply a bit of duct tape. Not certain any further reinforcement will be needed.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."