CK Screen

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
gideon_thorne
Maukling

CK Screen

Post by gideon_thorne »

As I wrap this up and get it ready for printing, I figured you folks might enjoy a preview of the CK screen art.
http://ravenchilde.com/screenfinal.jpg

I wont put an image up, cause this thing is long and it would play merry hell with the posting format.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

That is simply outstanding! Fantastic color and movement. I think you outdid yourself, Peter.
[Set as - desktop background!!! ]

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

Sweet!

Metathiax

Post by Metathiax »

Wow!!! 13

This is a beautiful piece of art! I also added it as my desktop background. I must admit that the $15 price tag was making me hesitant to buy the screen (especially since my game is kind of house rules heavy...) but you got me reconsidering just with your artwork. I love your style (in general) which I find to be an harmonious mixture of old-school and modern fantasy art. 8) It's no wonder some people try to plagiarize your work (just kidding, I know it must be frustrating for an artist)... Does the product offer some extras other than the obvious recap of rules and compilation of tables? For me, that would definitely tip the balance in favor of buying it...

Once again, great work!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Honestly? I have no idea whats going on the inside of the screen.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Absolutely fantastic, Peter! Great job!

--Ghul

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Wow, great work, Peter.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

wOw!! Can't wait for this product to come out!!

-George Washington

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That needs to be put in for an industry award, whatever ones it qualifies for. Awesome work Peter.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Beauty, eh. And that thief seems oh-so-familiar...

hmmm...wonder who runs that guy?
Brian Miller

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Ooh, now that is cool. There's a great sense of action and of the characters. The bridge in the background is a nice touch, too.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Outstanding job PB! You've really outdone yourself on this piece, and now I won't complain so much for the delay in the CKS... maybe.
..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Woohoo!

Moorcrys

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I am not fondling my CKS yet.
Just saying.

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
I am not fondling my CKS yet.
Just saying.

FPQ

TMI

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wha? I'd like to play with my CKS, I'm not ashamed to say it. Why are you laughing at me?
..................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: CK Screen

Post by Omote »

gideon_thorne wrote:
As I wrap this up and get it ready for printing, I figured you folks might enjoy a preview of the CK screen art.
http://ravenchilde.com/screenfinal.jpg

Mr. Peter Bradley, would you mind discussing your artwork for the new CASTLE KEEPER'S SCREEN? If I could pick your brain for a few moments, and ask some questions that many of us might like to know?

First off, what was the inspiration for this piece?

Is there a title to this work?

Are the characters portrayed anything special, like personal characters, or ideas for character you may have had in previous games?

The artwork shows a great deal of action. Did you have any other thoughts on what you might like to see on one of the most predominant pieces of artwork for the C&C game?

The twin dragon is quite nice. Is there a purpose to the duality of the fire and ice presentation? Perhaps this dragon is to be part of some future story or product?

With the fortress in the background, what would one of the people on the bridge be thinking at the point in time of painting?

If you should like to answer any of these questions, or would like to discuss any other thoughts on the artwork for the Castle Keeper's Screen, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for your time.
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Quote:
Mr. Peter Bradley, would you mind discussing your artwork for the new CASTLE KEEPER'S SCREEN? If I could pick your brain for a few moments, and ask some questions that many of us might like to know?

Ahh.. that might scare people, delving in my brain, but I'll have a crack at it. And can the "Mister" makes me feel old. I'm just plain folks and find it more friendly to be treated as such
Quote:
First off, what was the inspiration for this piece?

The inspiration was Steve using a variety of colourful metaphores expressing his desire to have a CK screen produced. In short, I generally don't have a particular thing in mind when drawing a picture. Steve simply propositioned something to the effect of: "There are two things you do better than anyone, chicks and dragons. I want both on this screen"
Quote:
Is there a title to this work?

I'll get back to you. I really haven't thought of one. Suggestions?
Quote:
Are the characters portrayed anything special, like personal characters, or ideas for character you may have had in previous games?

The dude on the far right is a thief/mage (bout 12th level each class) of mine named Jaren Sen. Ask Rob Kuntz, Deogolf, or even Fiffergrund about the character in his last two LGGC run games. Course that particular character goes way back to the 80's when I created him.

The rest of them are pure invention thought up over the course of creating the thing. Although the female archer sort of resembles one of my other characters. A ranger-archer type.

I sort of have stories invented for the rest though.
Quote:
The artwork shows a great deal of action. Did you have any other thoughts on what you might like to see on one of the most predominant pieces of artwork for the C&C game?

Yes, many. Most of which would get me arrested in about 12 out of 50 states and would sell like mad at more 'adult' conventions. Nuff said.
Quote:
The twin dragon is quite nice. Is there a purpose to the duality of the fire and ice presentation?

I thought it looked cool and the colours worked for my over all colour scheme.
Quote:
Perhaps this dragon is to be part of some future story or product?

Evidently Steve and Serleran liked the idea too, so expect to see a couple of two headed variations coming out.

Personally I can see Mr Dragon saying to Mrs Dragon "Honey..is there something you would like to tell me?"
Quote:
With the fortress in the background, what would one of the people on the bridge be thinking at the point in time of painting?

"AHHHHHHHH %&^@%!" "Run like scared rabbits" or words to that effect most likely.

Personally, I wouldnt be saying much, instead I'd save my breath and be leaving my own flame trail behind me as I sped off at high velocity. Me being the prudent sort and all who does not care to be flambe' or frosted. ^_^
Quote:
If you should like to answer any of these questions, or would like to discuss any other thoughts on the artwork for the Castle Keeper's Screen, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for your time.

On a more semi serious note. I tend to not do the whole 'fine artist' thing. Nor do I generally have anything profound to say about my work. Considering the predominant subject matter, it can be truly said my inspiration comes from women and a variety of fantasies. Anything else detailing such may be in the range of TMI though. ^_~`

My sole motivation for drawing as I do is purely because I enjoy it and more or less is the only thing I've really wanted to do as a particular living since I first started drawing professionally, back in the halcyon days of my youth.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Quote:
Ahh.. that might scare people, delving in my brain, but I'll have a crack at it. And can the "Mister" makes me feel old. I'm just plain folks and find it more friendly to be treated as such

Many appologies for the "Mr." I was simply trying to conduct a professional Q&A, and thought such titles were appropriate. I will make sure in that all of my future addresses to you are, "hey, yoos."
Quote:
The inspiration was Steve using a variety of colourful metaphores expressing his desire to have a CK screen produced. In short, I generally don't have a particular thing in mind when drawing a picture. Steve simply propositioned something to the effect of: "There are two things you do better than anyone, chicks and dragons. I want both on this screen"

As a staple of classic fantasy art, having beautiful women and evil dragons is always welcome. In my personal opinion, this type of classic artwork never gets old, and never ceases it inspire deeds and fantastic adventures.
Quote:
I sort of have stories invented for the rest though.

Well, I think that if you had the time Mr. Brad... er, hey yoos, that we could hear a tale or two about these, so to be, iconic characters of the C&C game.
Quote:
Yes, many. Most of which would get me arrested in about 12 out of 50 states and would sell like mad at more 'adult' conventions. Nuff said.

Ha! We'll have to save that story for the Courtesans & Cuffs game whenever you decide to release it.
Quote:
Evidently Steve and Serleran liked the idea too, so expect to see a couple of two headed variations coming out.

Personally I can see Mr Dragon saying to Mrs Dragon "Honey..is there something you would like to tell me?"

The two-headed dragon on the Castle Keeper's Screen is great, and would make for some nifty monsters in any upcoming release by TLG, including the monsters pdfs, or possibly even the mythical 1001 Monsters supplement.
Quote:
My sole motivation for drawing as I do is purely because I enjoy it and more or less is the only thing I've really wanted to do as a particular living since I first started drawing professionally, back in the halcyon days of my youth.

It's good to hear that you find happiness in your work. Your fans are just happy that you keep bringing us some of the best fantasy artwork in the industry time and time again. Keep up the good work, yoos. And thanks again for giving us a little insight into the creation of the Castle Keeper's Screen!

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
I will make sure in that all of my future addresses to you are, "hey, yoos."

That'll work.

Peter Bradley

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

For those wanting to see that which was the foundation of my artistic style, and pretty much how I learned drawing techniques go here

Peter Bradley

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Ahh, now I see what it was you were looking to have me do for you... excellent.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Very nicely done, Peter! Looking forward to the final product!!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Um... the CK Screen came out after the second printing of the PHB but that won't matter. The information provided in the screen is consistent with the information found in the 1st (with errata), 2nd, and current 3rd printing of the PHB.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Realmsbard wrote:
Which ver. Of C&C is the current CK Screen for?

Realmsbard

Its for C&C.. there are no 'versions'.

Peter Bradley

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Very nice painting! I dig it....the red dragon's face in particular.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Unreal! Your a master...
ATOM's CLASSIC D&D Art.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Sticky Lizard

Post by Sticky Lizard »

LOOOVE the artwork. Illusionist especially! Nice work.

In time, you will all see that Sess'Innek is the one, true and most powerful deity!

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Peter, I just wanted to say what a hit your artwork on the C&C screen is. 3 of my players hadn't seen it yet and thought it was amazing. I know I complimented it before, but I wanted their reactions passed onto you.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Darth Cestual

Post by Darth Cestual »

Wow, excellent work!