Optional AC Rule for AA and C&C

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Optional AC Rule for AA and C&C

Post by Relaxo »

With no disrespect intended towards Jason, I've never been 100% on board with the AC rules in AA. I mean, I 'get it' but there's a tad more suspension of disbelief than I'm comfortable with. Also, if the rules are different than C&C, it's harder to blend the two (not that hard, I know).

So I humbly present an alternative.
For both AA and C&C (and perhaps any Siege Game), calculate AC as follows:

AC=11 + Prime Attribute Modifier + BtH.

Keep the upper limit of AC 16 from RAW in AA. Perhaps an upper limit of 18 or 20 for C&C?

Why use BtH? I figure it can do double duty as a broad representation of the character's combat ability, and part of combat skill is not getting hit!
Using the Prime Attribute is perhaps a stretch, but it doesn't "force" everyone to make Dex high.

Oh, maybe so it still matters, the costume bonus stacking could instead be a Chr bonus (perhaps limited to X times per day or gaming session?) or be used to calculate the number of Fate Points? THis part I'm thinking out loud.

I don't know: what do you all think?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Ronin77
Red Cap

Re: Optional AC Rule for AA and C&C

Post by Ronin77 »

I like the idea of BtH. Since it is your combat prowess.

Not sure I would care for the bonus from prime. Might as well just give every one a flat + 1or2 since every one is going strong on prime attribute.
plus having a +2 to AC for a high Charisma is just as abstract as having a bonus for a cool looking jacket.

What about BtH and armor or Dex?

Add some armor like:
Thick clothing AC+1
Heavy layered clothing AC+2
Leather bomber jacket AC+3

Characters get an armor bonus or Dex bonus whatever is higher.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Ronin77 wrote: Not sure I would care for the bonus from prime. Might as well just give every one a flat + 1or 2 since every one is going strong on prime attribute.
Good point. I had the idea of starting from 11 or 12, which is basically the same thing.
Ronin77 wrote: What about BtH and armor or Dex?

Add some armor like:
Thick clothing AC+1
Leather bomber jacket AC+3

Characters get an armor bonus or Dex bonus whatever is higher.
My idea of using primes was to make it so everyone doesn't want high dex, though of course, there's a dash of realism from Dex. And I just reread what you wrote, so it's the higher of Dex or armor. This I like a lot and it mixes well with RAW.

Perhaps:
Thick clothing AC+1
Really Appropriate Costume AC+3
(Referee fiat allows for the Rocketeer to be +4 with a lot of metal plates in the jet suit, for example... mobster "lucky" Vito may be +4 in his three piece suit and fedora... he's lucky, see?

And then if one wants to use this with C&C add
light armor AC +4
heavy Armor AC+5
(or make them +4 & +6)

SO how's about ... AC= 12 + [greater of clothing AC or Dex mod] + BtH ?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

I think it looks good. I think its a good middle ground. Shouldn't make any one reliant on any one attribute. But gives quick characters an edge of being able to rely on quickness over armor.

Gives room for magical and gadget armor too.

Gritty6 (epic6)

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote: So I humbly present an alternative.

For C&C, no way. I don't care how good you are with your fists (BtH) and how much weight you can lift. When I shoot you with my cross bow, it won't help you.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

Arduin wrote:
Relaxo wrote: So I humbly present an alternative.

For C&C, no way. I don't care how good you are with your fists (BtH) and how much weight you can lift. When I shoot you with my cross bow, it won't help you.
You only apply BtH to hand to hand? What do you use as a base for hitting with a crossbow?

I always consider BtH the characters over all combat prowess.

Gritty6 (epic6)

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Certainly Relaxo's rule is a valid alternate means of calculating AC. I disagree about the level of suspension of disbelief (of course, since I worked out the base system as-is), and I will say that from comments I've had, the AC system and the psionics system seem to be the two most popular new subsystems, but there have been a number of suggestions, both for AA and C&C, of incorporating a defense bonus based off of the BtH. I have been seriously considering alternate AC systems for the sourcebook.

I will say that this lessens the pugilist a bit, since that's one of that class' abilities (unarmed AC increases), but then, I know Relaxo's not a fan of the pugilist, either.

Truth be told, I'm a fan of defense bonuses as well--the Mongoose Conan RPG handled this very well with the Dodge and Parry Defense for each class. I'm still weighing options for that. There WILL, in the sourcebook, be an option for using traditional C&C-style armor. The systems are interchangeable and can be used at the same table at the same time; the catch is, the player must choose whether to use armor-based AC or costume-based AC. You can't use both versions together.

Oh, and to defend his Prime Attribute Modifier, think of it this way:

Str: Ability to deflect blows or move objects into the path of projectiles
Dex: Ability through quick reflexes to dodge attacks
Con: Ability to "suck up" damage from hits
Int: Ability to predict your opponent's actions based on observation of his methods
Wis: Ability to intuit what your opponent is going to do, and move on instinct.
Cha: Ability to distract your opponent based on force of personality

As you can see, justification can be made for any ability to add to AC. I've heavily considered this and I may work it into the sourcebook as an option, as well.