Sorcerer in C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
dudeness of air
Skobbit

Sorcerer in C&C

Post by dudeness of air »

After having played a sorcerer in 3.5/pathfinder I think they are pretty cool. Has anyone tried or had much luck converting a sorcerer to fit in with C&C?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Sorcerer in C&C

Post by Treebore »

dudeness of air wrote:After having played a sorcerer in 3.5/pathfinder I think they are pretty cool. Has anyone tried or had much luck converting a sorcerer to fit in with C&C?

Yeah, its easy as pie to use it in C&C.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I call them sorcerers; you call them illusionists. So, yes, they work well in C&C. ;)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

dudeness of air
Skobbit

Post by dudeness of air »

Yeah, its easy as pie to use it in C&C.[/quote]

Would you care to elaborate a bit?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Seriously though, you could convert them without changing anything.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

dudeness of air wrote:Would you care to elaborate a bit?
If I were going to use a 3.x sorcerer in C&C, I wouldn't change anything to the class. They would get the same hit die, BtH, weapon and armor restrictions, and exp progression as a wizard. I'd just use the 3.x spells known and spells per day chart without any modifications. I would make them Charisma prime instead of Intelligence. That's about all you would need to do.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

This is splendid

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rigon wrote:
If I were going to use a 3.x sorcerer in C&C, I wouldn't change anything to the class. They would get the same hit die, BtH, weapon and armor restrictions, and exp progression as a wizard. I'd just use the 3.x spells known and spells per day chart without any modifications. I would make them Charisma prime instead of Intelligence. That's about all you would need to do.

R-
Bingo. Easy peasy.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

Two Arcane classes I love would include the Sorcerer as one, and the Warlock as the other.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
Bingo. Easy peasy.

]Indeed. Its been in my House Rules Doc for many years, its just a rule only my son uses, I don't allow Sorcerors.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
]Indeed. Its been in my House Rules Doc for many years, its just a rule only my son uses, I don't allow Sorcerors.

I don't either because arcane magic doesn't work that way in my game. Although, not everyone has "the right stuff" to become a magic user either.

House Rules

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

There's a C&C sorcerer class posted somewhere. I can't recall where, but I use the sorcerer in my game and I pulled the tables from that article. Dang, I can't recall where I got it from.

But you know, doing it that way (just pulling it straight from 3.5, using Char as the prime, etc) works great!

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

I went and compared the stats I pulled from...whatever source it was that had a C&C sorcerer in it...to the 3.5 sorcerer (and also compared to the C&C wizard). One thing I'll say, 3.5 had a good bit of a power creep compared to where C&C is. You can see this difference comparing the spells of the C&C wizard to the sorcerer.

Anyhow, here is the sorcerer stats I've been using. This is from an old site that I don't really use anymore, but the sorcerer is still there...

http://castlescrusades.webs.com/classes.htm

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

OK, I found it....

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive ... fileid=169

The Sorcerer is printed in this Colin Sez article, along with a host of other stuff. This is the one I've been using (though I have to admit, aside from an NPC, no one has played a sorcerer in my game yet, heh, heh).

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lobo316 wrote:OK, I found it....

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive ... fileid=169

The Sorcerer is printed in this Colin Sez article, along with a host of other stuff. This is the one I've been using (though I have to admit, aside from an NPC, no one has played a sorcerer in my game yet, heh, heh).
Since it was in Colin's old stuff then it is probably now in the PDF Companion, hosted on the TLG store site.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I made a witch using the sorcerer as a guidepost. Take a look at that, if you are so inclined (it's in my sig :))
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I think the original post was about having an arcane caster who needs no spell book and naturally has spells come to them as in 3.x sorcerer. I could be wrong.

Personally, when I convert material form 3.x I make sorcerers, into illusionists. I have never liked the sorcerer. They would be hunted down and destroyed by every culture and race. They cannot be locked up or imprisoned very long. They would feared. With a wizard, you take the spell book and he becomes docile. The sorcerer simply gets a good night's sleep and all his spells are back the next morning. That is dangerous.

In my campaign, arcane casters are tied to their books. All of course is just me humble opinion.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Snoring Rock wrote: They would feared. With a wizard, you take the spell book and he becomes docile. The sorcerer simply gets a good night's sleep and all his spells are back the next morning. That is dangerous.
Clerics are the same. Anyway, you are forgetting that there was no ACLU back then. There are, um ... VERY creative ways to keep a prisoner from getting a good nights sleep. :o

House Rules

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Snoring Rock wrote:I think the original post was about having an arcane caster who needs no spell book and naturally has spells come to them as in 3.x sorcerer. I could be wrong.

Personally, when I convert material form 3.x I make sorcerers, into illusionists. I have never liked the sorcerer. They would be hunted down and destroyed by every culture and race. They cannot be locked up or imprisoned very long. They would feared. With a wizard, you take the spell book and he becomes docile. The sorcerer simply gets a good night's sleep and all his spells are back the next morning. That is dangerous.

In my campaign, arcane casters are tied to their books. All of course is just me humble opinion.
When we played TETSNBN, we required Sorcerers (and Bards) to always need a focus item when casting anything higher than a cantrip/0-level spell. All the usual spell components are required as well. We also ruled that, just as with a Wizard, it took an hour of meditation (instead of study) to regain your spells after the rest period.

If I brought the Sorc. to C&C, maybe require 5 mins + 5 mins per spell per spell level of meditation, with a Siege check with a CL of 2xSpell Level to see if the spell had been properly prepared. Thus a 1st level spell would take 10 mins, while a 9th level spell would require 50 mins, and a Siege Check at CL 18. Additional modifiers to the Siege CL could include conditions such as poor rest, inadequate food intake, existing wounds, etc., as determined by the CK. Think I would also require the spell focus for everything but 0-level as well.

Just some random musings.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Even BtB Sorcerors needed the same amount of sleep to recover spells, and followed all other parameters as the wizard, including spell components. Unless they took the Feat Eschew Components or whatever it was called. When I ran 3E the Sorceror quickly became disliked. While being able to cast more spells per day was nice, they did lose the versatility that the standard Wizard had of being able to change their spells to something else in their spell books to deal with various challenges. Which is why WOTC later introduced that method for them to change their spells selected, which was still very infrequently, and never took care of their versatility problem. It really only gave a way to fix bad spell selections, eventually.

The only players I had who liked the Sorceror were my kids, because it made for an easy spell list, and they liked to make it to where they could solve every problem with their Fireballs, Lightning Bolts etc... and when they couldn't they just waited for the Wizard to get them to the point where their spells would finish the job.

Still, I haven't allowed a Sorceror in my C&C games, as mentioned above, its in my House Rules because my kids allow them in their games.

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

I dunno, I have no problem with sorcerers. Like Arduin said, there are ways to ensure they do not get thier "rest". Heck, the party I'm running took one prisoner and hauled him around with them for several days. They just kept him bound, made sure he had no materials and kicked him awake through the night every so often.

I think it's just a different kind of caster, and heck, you could make some pretty neat "themed" sorcerers by requiring thier selections be related somehow (elements in general or specific, earth, fire, air, etc). Heck, going on that theme, you could make some very cool themed elemental sorcerers.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Pyromancers, Hydromancers, they are all fun :D