Any ideas?

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Moorcrys
Red Cap

Any ideas?

Post by Moorcrys »

Maybe one of you computer artist-types or image wizzes can give me some advice...

I've been remaking my homebrew world maps in the new Campaign Cartographer 3 and they're turning out beautifully. I've had the idea of saving it in some kind of format so I can take it in or send it off to a printer-service to get my maps 'enlarged' instead of on an 8x11 piece of paper. I was kinda hoping to get them in some kind of 'wall mount' size so I could pull 'em out and hang 'em up while we played. Not massive, mind you, but big enough to see clearly on a wall.

CC3 allows the files to be saved in a multitude of formats, all of which I know nothing about... is there a standard format that I can save a file in that will keep the quality of the image the same? I tried using a BMP format and it was all pixelly. I'm loathe to go through my color ink cartridge to test all the save types.

I'm sure people have done something like I'm thinking of, I'm just an ignorant when it comes to this stuff. Any ideas or am I just screwed?

Moorcrys

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Any ideas?

Post by gideon_thorne »

TIFF format, definitely.

You also need to save it at 300 dpi or better.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

ZeornWarlock

Re: Any ideas?

Post by ZeornWarlock »

gideon_thorne wrote:
TIFF format, definitely.

You also need to save it at 300 dpi or better.

I agree with Peter here. 150 DPI is what most printing magazines use, so 300 DPI will get the best results. And yes, you can't go wrong with TIFF although 300 DPI JPGs look good too.

ZW.

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Thanks guys!

Moorcrys

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

So the question is, how good is CC3? Better then CC2 in your opinion, harder to use, etc?

.................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

It's a bit more user friendly than CC2 and not as buggy... and it lets me do almost anything I want the way I want, which I like. If you like and use CC2 at all then CC3 is a no brainer.

I'm no expert with it, and I purchased the Tome of Ultimate Mapping which has helped enormously (though that's actually written for CC2, the tips help for CC3). I think that if you hate CC2 then CC3 won't be enough of a change for you. I tried using Dunjinni and while the interface is much simpler I simply couldn't do what I wanted to with it -- broad overland maps to start with.

The maps I've made with CC3, I must say, look really great -- a huge step up from CC2 in my opinion... the land features are rendered beautifully, and there's a bit of randomness to it so that if you place mountains, for instance, it will cycle randomly through a number of different 'mountain tiles' as you drop them in which saves time and looks fantastic (or if you hate that you can place exactly the tile you want as well). If I can get the maps somewhere to be seen I'll show you a link. It makes my maps look as professional as they're ever going to look and that's made it worth the price three times over. With CC2 I thought, "Yeah my maps look okay enough... but I wish..."

Moorcrys

Moorcrys
Red Cap

No TIFF

Post by Moorcrys »

So my save as didn't have a TIFF option... these are my options:

BMP Bitmap file

JPEG Bitmap file

PNG Bitmap file

Rectangular Section BMP

Rectangular Section JPEG

Rectangular Section PNG

EMF Enhanced Metafile

Autocad DWG File

Autocad DXF File

All Text in File

I will try the JPEG and see how it turns out... do you guys know what these other options are?

Moorcrys

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I can;t help you with the saving options/extensions, but I would like to thank you for your great review of CC3. That helps me out a lot.
.................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

NP Omote!

Thanks for the advice guys, it turns out my question is a little more complicated than I thought... the tech support peeps at ProFantasy are looking into it... they don't even know.

Moorcrys

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Moorcrys wrote:
NP Omote!

Thanks for the advice guys, it turns out my question is a little more complicated than I thought... the tech support peeps at ProFantasy are looking into it... they don't even know.

k. Save it as a JPG, then open it in photoshop and resave it as a TIFF

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach