Stuff I'd Buy if TLG Made It

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Stuff I'd Buy if TLG Made It

Post by alcyone »

Hardcover book that combined PHB+M&T (flip or not, don't care, gold embossed would be nice, b&w preferable)
Abridged softcover Player's Books (Chargen, equipment, combat outline, these should probably be color because they sell the game to players, who outnumber CKs, or should in a normal world)
softcover Spellbooks (1 arcane, 1 divine) (because a player only needs the spells they can cast)
softcover Summoned creature and familiar book (core rules) (to keep players out of my M&T)

I'd then have cheap paperback books that my players might buy and could use to generate characters all at once, and no one would touch my nice big reference book.

I might just end up doing it myself with binders and tons of printer ink, but then I'll have weird page numbers and useless TOC.

I am being a bit disingenuous as I have enough PHBs and MTs to go around, but they are all mixed editions.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Stuff I'd Buy if TLG Made It

Post by Treebore »

I just printed out the spell books myself, using the old 2E spell sheets as my format. Wasn't too bad since i only needed two of each.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As for character gen, equipment, and rules outlines, the printing doesn't matter, since that has never changed. Only three of the classes are different, and the Illusionist spells were expanded. So just make sure those who want to play one of those 3 classes get the newer printings. The rules that did change, specifically Grappling, is easy enough to print out as a reference sheet, same for the multi classing and class and a half, if you even use those rules.

Still, if they did up soft cover "player" books specifically aimed at what players need to know to create characters and play the game, for like $5 a pop, I'd buy about 10 of them. Actually, it would probably be better if I just buy the PDF and get them printed out myself.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Aergraith wrote: I'd then have cheap paperback books that my players might buy and could use to generate characters all at once,
Your players don't like the game enough to buy even a PHB?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

That, or they are happy to plunder my shelf.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Given C&C's low cost of entry, tell your players to "Join the Crusade!" ;) :)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Ancalagon wrote:Given C&C's low cost of entry, tell your players to "Join the Crusade!" ;) :)
Yes, time to "cut the cord". Unless they are little kids.

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hardcover, PROPERLY EDITED, PHB+M&T.
More Castle Zygyg and Eastmark.

Not sure there is anything else I need or want.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

Omote wrote:More Castle Zygyg and Eastmark.
100X this!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I think the biggest thing I would like to see is an 'Expanded Edition' PHB with new spells, equipment descriptions, height and weight charts and some optional rules from the CKG added in. Beyond that I would like to see an updated C&C Whitebox go into full print (maybe as the long lost C&C Basic) and further support for Fields of Battle like chits, scenario packs and minis.

Beyond C&C I would love to see StarSIEGE revised and revived into a more coherent game rather than a toolbox and Cleaver: The Pit finally released.

As for Zagyg and the Eastmark; As much as I would love to see more, I believe the ship has sailed and we are on our own. Unless something happens with a company I don't even want to mention, I think all the goodies Gary had for TLG when he passed are long gone. While that does not me we fans couldn't do something with Urth I feel the official stuff is will never be seen.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I would like to see a M&T book covering demons, devils, and other outer planar monsters. Tomb of the Unclean is good start though. :)

I would also like to see CZ returned to those who love it the most, i.e. the Trolls! I know it will probably never happen, but I can hope.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I believe Tome of the Unclean is coming to print eventually. I'd like to see a revised Starsiege in book form, a single softcover re-release of Jim Ward's Towers of Adventure, continued printings of Jim's Tainted Lands, a slightly revised printing of Harvesters w/additions, and and a book I call the Castles and Crusades Cyclopaedia. It's pretty much the entire phb, m&t (with a few of the herd animals and mule from m&t of aihrde), as well as (from the ckg) levels 13-24, expanded race height/weight/table, the one very basic combat waste table, the 8? extra combat maneuvers (called shot, push, etc.), and maybe one or two other ckg goodies...all in one book.

As for the Zagyg issue. Disclaimer: No flame war here. Never met Gail, except to see her from afar. Met Gary once in 07, Luke in 12, and Ernie, Jr. in 2013. Either way, I remember the words (regarding the viability of Zagyg) from someone (not Troll Lord staff) at Gary Con 2012...."I think _____ saw dollar signs that weren't there." I don't know if, or what the asking price for Gary's property is. I think we all know that there are really two BIG money rpg companies (exepting Steve Jackson and Fantasy Flight)...Paizo and Wizards of the Coast. If Zagyg was ever pitched to them, I suspect they didn't need it. Paizo is the 900 lbs gorilla, and WOTC owns Greyhawk and all of the classic D&D material. They don't need to pay a middle man for Gary's name per se. If D&D Next has some sort of gaming license, maybe GGG (if that entity exists other than in name only) could release something through that rules set. One thing is certain, Gary's product has to be released within the OGL...be it OD&D, AD&D, 3.5 based, or whatever. Releasing Zagyg for Savage Worlds, Palladium Fantasy, or Hero System wouldn't work. Those systems, for example, are too different. Anyway, if Zagyg never surfaces as a licensee product for D&D Next or Pathfinder, then let it return to Gary's friends who care about his legacy. If it's about the money, making SOME money is better than NO money. Anyway, please no flame war. I have made no negative comments about anyone, nor did I intend to. Thanks. :)

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Aladar wrote:I would like to see a M&T book covering demons, devils, and other outer planar monsters.
M&ToA has quite a few goods ones.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:I believe Tome of the Unclean is coming to print eventually. I'd like to see a revised Starsiege in book form, a single softcover re-release of Jim Ward's Towers of Adventure, continued printings of Jim's Tainted Lands, a slightly revised printing of Harvesters w/additions, and and a book I call the Castles and Crusades Cyclopaedia. It's pretty much the entire phb, m&t (with a few of the herd animals and mule from m&t of aihrde), as well as (from the ckg) levels 13-24, expanded race height/weight/table, the one very basic combat waste table, the 8? extra combat maneuvers (called shot, push, etc.), and maybe one or two other ckg goodies...all in one book.

As for the Zagyg issue. Disclaimer: No flame war here. Never met Gail, except to see her from afar. Met Gary once in 07, Luke in 12, and Ernie, Jr. in 2013. Either way, I remember the words (regarding the viability of Zagyg) from someone (not Troll Lord staff) at Gary Con 2012...."I think _____ saw dollar signs that weren't there." I don't know if, or what the asking price for Gary's property is. I think we all know that there are really two BIG money rpg companies (exepting Steve Jackson and Fantasy Flight)...Paizo and Wizards of the Coast. If Zagyg was ever pitched to them, I suspect they didn't need it. Paizo is the 900 lbs gorilla, and WOTC owns Greyhawk and all of the classic D&D material. They don't need to pay a middle man for Gary's name per se. If D&D Next has some sort of gaming license, maybe GGG (if that entity exists other than in name only) could release something through that rules set. One thing is certain, Gary's product has to be released within the OGL...be it OD&D, AD&D, 3.5 based, or whatever. Releasing Zagyg for Savage Worlds, Palladium Fantasy, or Hero System wouldn't work. Those systems, for example, are too different. Anyway, if Zagyg never surfaces as a licensee product for D&D Next or Pathfinder, then let it return to Gary's friends who care about his legacy. If it's about the money, making SOME money is better than NO money. Anyway, please no flame war. I have made no negative comments about anyone, nor did I intend to. Thanks. :)

Yeah, unfortunately we aren't going to see anything until the person who can make the decision makes that decision. I would definitely love it if it fell back into TLG hands. Even if we would then have to wait another 3 years for them to get it into print. :lol:

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Based on what I have seen recently I would guess CZ would most likely end up with D&D Next. WOTC has done some interesting things lately and when you consider the 1e reprints raised money for the memorial and we have also seen OD&D reprinted I could see CZ rebranded as a Greyhawk product.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Julian Grimm wrote:Based on what I have seen recently I would guess CZ would most likely end up with D&D Next. WOTC has done some interesting things lately and when you consider the 1e reprints raised money for the memorial and we have also seen OD&D reprinted I could see CZ rebranded as a Greyhawk product.
Well, while not ideal, fortunately we use C&C, so the material would still be relatively easy to use. Plus the production values would definitely be top notch. So it would be better than never seeing it.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

True dat. I have kept up with 5e and I have liked what I have seen and have found it very compatible with C&C. So if done, it would be an easy conversion for use. Besides that, seeing the Castle back in its world of origin would be a nice thing. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing any CZ material at all.
Lord Skystorm

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I've followed and even ran some 5E play test games, so am hopeful I may actually like a new version of D&D again. No biggie, though, thats for sure. I have several old versions I like playing.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Another thing I thought would be nice is something similar to Rob Conley's Points of Light books. Since Yggsburgh and the original HH material I have really begun to like the idea of drop in style settings and I would love to see more of these kinds of ideas explored.
Lord Skystorm

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I could see WOTC wanting to do something Gary related, as they need all the help they can get trying to compete with Pathfinder. Call me crazy, I still say D&DN comes up 2nd place in sales to PF. PF has a lot of 1st time rpg'ers who are happy where they're at, not to mention a great many 3.5 devotees who feel the same. I digress...another product I'D like to see is the return of a revised portrait screen with Peter's original artwork. I get quite a few comments (at cons) about that battle scene. Either way, the CK screen is great, but perhaps a bit too ckg specific. I'd use the 8 extra combat maneuvers, combat wastage, and the price of various lodging, meals and drinks from the ck screen, and add it to about 75% of what's on the portrait screen. To me, that's THE screen. However, if the ck screen is to be the gold standard from here on out, I'd put the original portrait screen art on that one. Disclaimer: Peter's art on the ck screen is also good, but... Almost forgot that the Golden Familiar adventure used to be included with the portrait screen. High time that module returns to the marketplace, as well as Davis' 3-part Inzae series, and a host of D20 mods that haven't seen the light of day for C&C.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:I could see WOTC wanting to do something Gary related, as they need all the help they can get trying to compete with Pathfinder. Call me crazy, I still say D&DN comes up 2nd place in sales to PF.
Absolutely. WotC knows this too. That's why it would be logical for them to want to give an added boost to their launch. They don't want another failure like 4.x It hinges on the cost of that "boost".

House Rules

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Omote wrote: More Castle Zygyg and Eastmark.

~O
Why go backwards? The partnership produced some very good results back in the day, but it also kept a lot of important projects on the backburner and forced some lean times on the Troll's when the liscences were pulled.

I don't want to see it. I'd rather see TLG move forward.

This is what I'd buy:

More of Casey's stuff. Either HH or special projects
More of Robert's "Engineering" books
Victorious Victorious Victorious
More Towers of Adventures type setting neutral toolkits
I'd like to see Jeffery Talanan work with TLG again, either a port of ASSH or completely new material
A low-magic, bronze age type sword and sorcery rpg/setting with the C&C ruleset and variant classes
More Brian Young Codex books
Codex of Erde (yes, Erde) but I'll take Airdhe
Brooke and roz's novel
A compliation of all the Erde fiction.
Sword and sorcery fiction in general from TLG- I'm heartily SICK TO DEATH of seeing vampires and zombies in the scifi-fantasy sections of the bookstore
An CK toolkit that includes balanced class deconstruction rules ( yes, I can just wing it, no, I won't fo it well)
Judges Guild C&C. With updated art and production values. Edited by someone else :lol:
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

cuchulainkevin wrote:
Omote wrote: More Castle Zygyg and Eastmark.

~O
Why go backwards? The partnership produced some very good results back in the day, but it also kept a lot of important projects on the backburner and forced some lean times on the Troll's when the liscences were pulled.

I don't want to see it. I'd rather see TLG move forward.

This is what I'd buy:

More of Casey's stuff. Either HH or special projects
More of Robert's "Engineering" books
Victorious Victorious Victorious
More Towers of Adventures type setting neutral toolkits
I'd like to see Jeffery Talanan work with TLG again, either a port of ASSH or completely new material
A low-magic, bronze age type sword and sorcery rpg/setting with the C&C ruleset and variant classes
More Brian Young Codex books
Codex of Erde (yes, Erde) but I'll take Airdhe
Brooke and roz's novel
A compliation of all the Erde fiction.
Sword and sorcery fiction in general from TLG- I'm heartily SICK TO DEATH of seeing vampires and zombies in the scifi-fantasy sections of the bookstore
An CK toolkit that includes balanced class deconstruction rules ( yes, I can just wing it, no, I won't fo it well)
Judges Guild C&C. With updated art and production values. Edited by someone else :lol:
That's a list of stuff I'd buy. Mostly.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Finish off the Wyrm (Dragon) series of books they had going awhile back.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

For what it's worth, Sir...those wyrms were all included in Monsters and Treasures of Aihrde. Far be it from me to say, or recall (without the books in front of me), if they intended to do more wyrms, or if they added those and more to m&t of a.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:For what it's worth, Sir...those wyrms were all included in Monsters and Treasures of Aihrde. Far be it from me to say, or recall (without the books in front of me), if they intended to do more wyrms, or if they added those and more to m&t of a.
I have the M&T of Aihrde, but really only skimmed through it and I usually never take a close look at the dragon types until I decide that I want to use one for a game.

I'm going to go and have to take a look, now. Then compare the entries.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I would like to see a Gazetteer for Outremere as a companion to the A-series and as a resource for new players. It would give them all the info they needed to get started the nation that seems to be the center-point for quite a few campaigns.
Lord Skystorm

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

I'd buy the A series all in one book or box set.

I'd buy a quarterly print magazine (yes, the crusader on a schedule, please!).

I'd buy Engineering Towns.

I'd buy Engineering Nations.

I'd buy Engineering Ships.
~DMSamuel
---

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Consolidate and move forwards -- cuchulainkevin has the right idea but I think Troll Lord Games is entering an important phase in their development and a lot hinges on what they do this year and the next. The revamped, re-edited, and by the looks of it, beautiful color reprints of the core books was important. It puts Castles & Crusades in a different league which they needed to do to continue to hold their ground and gain new fans given the imminent release of 5th Edition and the continued durability of Pathfinder with D&D's fall from their throne. Especially given that the new edition of D&D seems to be so much more friendly, streamlined, and backwards compatible.

I think that Troll Lord Games needs to take the efforts and strides made with the new printings and re-work some of their past works and bring those up to speed.

That means adding the same treatment to their other hardcover books like Classic Monsters and the other Monster Books -- the other big sellers. As for the Classic Monsters book itself, not only would I give it a full color treatment, I would take all the material from the Tome of the Unclean when it's finished and put that stuff in it Classic Monsters instead.

Of Gods & Monsters could have been a better book and this would be a chance to expand it. One of the saddest things about the book is the lack of certain key personalities in key mythos. One could argue that there is so many gods and goddesses in mythology that there isn't any way that you can get all of them in there for any particular mythology. I agree with that but I also think that important ones should have been included but are otherwise absent. Take the Greek pantheon for instance, you really should have the 12 Olympians and there is NO REASON not to include Hera and Demeter! If page count is truly an issue, then start by taking OUT the Aihrde section and use that for something like the actual Aihrde Codex.

Obviously a softcover, perfect bound treatment of Star Siege would be awesome which would be something of a second edition for the game and, for that matter a overhauled version of Tainted Lands would be nice to see as well (also perfect bound softcover) with some of the 'broken stuff' within fixed and revamped. I'd keep these in B&W and softcover to match Amazing Adventures.

Lastly, redoing all these books may be a problem and logistically not going to happen for years. I understand that and current fans won't necessarily want to see more re-hashed material. New projects should also make a move to color -- like the Aihrde campaign books. I think it is important to follow the example now set with the new core books.

M

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

DMSamuel wrote:I'd buy the A series all in one book or box set.

I'd buy a quarterly print magazine (yes, the crusader on a schedule, please!).

I'd buy Engineering Towns.

I'd buy Engineering Nations.

I'd buy Engineering Ships.

I have many ideas for this product line. Cities, Nations, Worlds, Planes, Religions, etc etc. And, in fact, I sometimes come back to a decently large file for monsters, once called Creature Crucible, which intends to provide many and various things for those beings... however, my favorite of these is thus far: Engineering Apocalypse -- The 12 Step Guide to Destroying the World.