New PHB6 (it's on the way)

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Zudrak
Lore Drake

Re: New PHB6 (it's on the way)

Post by Zudrak »

Ok, so no TLG box yesterday but I did receive my Ebay winnings of the Lankhmar book, complete with the little booklet and map. I'm yoinking some stuff from it for the Thieves in Eskadia campaign I am running.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Got my PHB6 today. Very nice. I am not a big fan of gloss paper, but it does show off the artwork. Very readable if you don't have much glare in the room.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

The physical PHB is incredible. The PDF is wonderful too. Kudo's Trolls!! Now quit looking at the forums and get the rest done!! :-)

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So I finally opened up my TLG package and it was indeed the new 6th printing of the Castles & Crusades Players Handbook.

C&C was the game that got me back into Fantasy RPGs after a nearly 15 year hiatus. Thought you all might appreciate the C&C PHB journey I've taken:

By the way the 6th printing is beautiful. Larger font, optional rules in the back, poison tables with the Assassin class, Classes in alphabetical order, easy on the eyes...
Attachments
Here are the covers from leather (2nd?) through 6th Printing for those who are new to C&C.  Great thing is all of these books can be used at the table with no problems.  Anyone know what I may be missing, besides a 1st printing?
Here are the covers from leather (2nd?) through 6th Printing for those who are new to C&C. Great thing is all of these books can be used at the table with no problems. Anyone know what I may be missing, besides a 1st printing?
photo 2.JPG (139.22 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Here's a binding shot of all the PHBs I have.  Product number 80103, would be (I assume) 801 the PHB and 03 the 3rd printing.  Interestingly the PHB leather doesn't have anything on the side.  Would still love to see a matching CKG for this leather set...
Here's a binding shot of all the PHBs I have. Product number 80103, would be (I assume) 801 the PHB and 03 the 3rd printing. Interestingly the PHB leather doesn't have anything on the side. Would still love to see a matching CKG for this leather set...
Picture1.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Nice pics! So Beautiful.
~DMSamuel
---

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

You know, with the larger fonts it should now be more reasonable to do a 6x9 / digest version of the PHB. ;)

M

Geoffrey McKinney
Mist Elf

Post by Geoffrey McKinney »

Omote wrote:Welcome to USPS Media Mail. It get's there when it get's there. The guarantee for USPS Media Mail is 2-8 business days.

~O
Media Mail is quite variable.

On the one hand, one time I mailed a book to a guy via Media Mail, and on the same day he mailed a book to me via Priority Mail. The Media Mail reached him one day before the Priority Mail reached me.

On the other hand, one time I mailed a book via Media Mail to New York (I live in Colorado), and it took 29 days for him to receive it.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Geoffrey McKinney wrote:
Omote wrote:Welcome to USPS Media Mail. It get's there when it get's there. The guarantee for USPS Media Mail is 2-8 business days.

~O
Media Mail is quite variable.

On the one hand, one time I mailed a book to a guy via Media Mail, and on the same day he mailed a book to me via Priority Mail. The Media Mail reached him one day before the Priority Mail reached me.

On the other hand, one time I mailed a book via Media Mail to New York (I live in Colorado), and it took 29 days for him to receive it.
Oh that makes me feel great. I may not see my 6th printing PHB for another month. I feel much better now.

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

Received mine today. Looks fantastic!
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I received my PHB today. This book is heavy. It has to be since there is so much ink. The slick paper weighs more and resists tears better. The book is nicely done and resembles work done by a class A gaming company.

This is what the new gamer wants to buy. Nice art, clean look, discernible cover art that makes sense and well edited. The alphabetically arranged classes and races is there.

Trolls, you did an excellent job here.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Got say, really enjoying the new printing of the PHB. Though one thing that jumped out at me that I think was missed. I saw that the classes are now in Alphabetical Order...but...the tables and lists are not.

See class lists on page 14; 17; CLASS REFERENCE TABLE 1: ARMOR, SHIELDS, HELMS on page 18; The Typical Class list for all the race entries; list on 184;

A minor issue, and for all I know a deliberate choice. Thoughts?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

This is starting to sound like Rorschach's journal ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Snoring Rock wrote:I received my PHB today. This book is heavy. It has to be since there is so much ink. The slick paper weighs more and resists tears better. The book is nicely done and resembles work done by a class A gaming company.

This is what the new gamer wants to buy. Nice art, clean look, discernible cover art that makes sense and well edited. The alphabetically arranged classes and races is there.

Trollzah!
I am now weeping tears of joy for you, after reading this chronicle of your anticipatory woe!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Relaxo wrote:
Snoring Rock wrote:I received my PHB today. This book is heavy. It has to be since there is so much ink. The slick paper weighs more and resists tears better. The book is nicely done and resembles work done by a class A gaming company.

Trollzah!
I am now weeping tears of joy for you, after reading this chronicle of your anticipatory woe!
Thank you all. Thank you for letters of encouragement, the cards, goodies and baked goods. It helped me get through this dark time. I now enjoy turning the clean crisp pages. I love the smell of the fresh book too. This is so easy to read.

Trollzah!

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

WooHoo! I got home and there was a package waiting for me. This book is so beautiful - thick pages, heavy book, has that fantastic "new book smell" that I love, and it is easily readable to boot!

Thanks Trolls - this is fantastic!
~DMSamuel
---

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I can report that two people in my group received their copies of the PHB today as well. It's really happening!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Feel and smell the gamy love...

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Gamy? It's time to put it down at that point.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'm happy to report that my four showed up today.. look nice... going to flip through them now.. but on the media mail, my first PH got lost in transit for the better part of one months back and forth between two postage centers with like 8 round trips before going back to the Trolls for a second attempt.. so be patient.. it will all work.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Received my PHB in the mail this afternoon as well. It is very nice and the color artwork looks a lot crisper than it appears on the digital copy. The digital version of the PHB appears smudgy to my eye, but thankfully it does not look that way in print.

The book is very nice, but almost too nice, like the beautiful glossy paper won't stand up to the rigors of play. With the 4th printing, that concern never enters the equation, because the book is very no frills and feels like it can withstand a lot of punishment. Not so with this 6th printing.

Maybe it's just the comic book page feel of this sixth printing. You know, how comic books are lightly read, etc. to keep in mint condition.

At any rate, the book is really nice and it was nice opening the box this evening.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just got mine today... went through it and it's very, very nice. Great addition to my collection. Now I can't wait for the rest.

It was a good day in the mail for me. Not only did my PHB arrive, but I received my much anticipated PC game, Divinity: Original Sin (Collector's Edition). Very nice indeed. I'm installing it now.

Happy, Happy, Joy!

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

I only went in for the new screens and some adventures. I have a long wait ahead of me. :(
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Zudrak, yesterday afternoon:

Ok, not really, but I received mine upon getting home last night. I was so overcome I fainted and only the thunderstorms and subsequent leaky basement could wake me from the euphoric nap.

I laughed when I saw the box because, while I hoped it would arrive in time for our game on Saturday, I knew (because it's my life) they would instead show up the first business day after the game.

I hope Snoring Rock enjoyed the Rice Krispies treats I sent him. They are a gift from heaven Heironeous.

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ha! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I had a colored PHB arrive last night, so I immediately segregated it (as the rule for anything from Little Rock), and will slowly reintegrate it to the rest of the collection.

It looked nice. I didn't read too much though.

I am curious how a M&T will look in color... mostly because I imagine monsters differently.

neuronphaser
Skobbit

Post by neuronphaser »

TheMetal1 wrote:Got say, really enjoying the new printing of the PHB. Though one thing that jumped out at me that I think was missed. I saw that the classes are now in Alphabetical Order...but...the tables and lists are not.

See class lists on page 14; 17; CLASS REFERENCE TABLE 1: ARMOR, SHIELDS, HELMS on page 18; The Typical Class list for all the race entries; list on 184;

A minor issue, and for all I know a deliberate choice. Thoughts?
That's my only gripe, too. Reformatting all the class info and putting it in Alpha-order is great, but missing it on a couple of tables is a bit of an "oh well" moment.

Certainly is a minor issue, though, thankfully. The book is so easy to navigate, either way.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

serleran wrote:I am curious how a M&T will look in color... mostly because I imagine monsters differently.
I'm not sure I envision monsters differently, but I am not sure how I will feel about the color M&T. I think maybe the glossy pages might feel a bit too modern (ha!) - but I'm just an old fuddy-dud, so don't mind me. I'm sure I will love it once I get used to it. :)
~DMSamuel
---

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

DMSamuel wrote:
serleran wrote:I am curious how a M&T will look in color... mostly because I imagine monsters differently.
I'm not sure I envision monsters differently, but I am not sure how I will feel about the color M&T. I think maybe the glossy pages might feel a bit too modern (ha!) - but I'm just an old fuddy-dud, so don't mind me. I'm sure I will love it once I get used to it. :)
True, the PHB feels and looks like something modern. The other printings look old, like the AD&D books look.....old. I like the updated modern look. It is the same game, but it is dressed up to appeal to the next generation and younger gamers. I really admire the Paizo/Pathfinder books with glossy pages, clear easy reading, easy to use index, and great color art. I do not like the number crunching rules. Bringing C&C up to a modern standard I think, will make it more marketable. One thing I hear at GenCon was that the game was fun but that the books looked like old school TSR rip-offs. I think it was time for a new, fresh look. I love the new PHB. But that's me.

If we need a nostalgic fix, we can pick up our old books and thumb through them.

Trollzah!

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Snoring Rock wrote:
DMSamuel wrote:
True, the PHB feels and looks like something modern. The other printings look old, like the AD&D books look.....old. I like the updated modern look. It is the same game, but it is dressed up to appeal to the next generation and younger gamers. I really admire the Paizo/Pathfinder books with glossy pages, clear easy reading, easy to use index, and great color art. I do not like the number crunching rules. Bringing C&C up to a modern standard I think, will make it more marketable. One thing I hear at GenCon was that the game was fun but that the books looked like old school TSR rip-offs. I think it was time for a new, fresh look. I love the new PHB. But that's me.

If we need a nostalgic fix, we can pick up our old books and thumb through them.

Trollzah!
I agree with the wood-sawing stone. I highly doubt in that alternate Earth where E. Gary Gygax remained at TSR and saw his 2nd Edition AD&D realized that the art and presentation would have remained the same. I also believe that once TSR was able they would print in color or partial color -- like the real 1989 2nd Edition turned out.

(Note that I am talking purely presentation and art here. The rules put forth under that presentation and art is not relevant to my point.)

-- E. Gary Gygax

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Post by REHowardfanatic »

I ordered mine Wednesday and hope to get it soon. I'm going to update my Robert E. Howard characters as soon as I get it read. Is there any word on when the full color Monsters and Treasures and Castle Keepers Guide are being released?
Flaming is the alignment language of the internet.

If you like DC Heroes, come check out my blog:
http://mayfairexponentialrpg.blogspot.com/