TLG 8126 Codex of Aihrde (Preorder)

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Ancalagon
Ulthal

Re: TLG 8126 Codex of Aihrde (Preorder)

Post by Ancalagon »

I'll go with hardback books over boxed sets every time.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hardbacks are what was promised, so that is what we are getting.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rigon wrote:Steve, this idea popped into my head on the drive home today, if you are going to have multiple books, why not go with a good old boxed set?

R-
The Box sets are a great idea for maps, you can tuck it all away. But they are a giant pain in the rumpus to pack, shrink wrap, etc etc. We have to charge extra shipping to because of the media mail mess (US only). For these reason we've been angling away from them for the last year or so, converting Fields of Battle to a book, Umbraga Saga will be out soon as its own book and we just sold out of Star Siege and Tainted Lands, so when we have time and room in schedule we'll put them out as single books.

So hard backs it will be.

And soon. I'm retreating to the mountains this weekend and thikn I can wrap up the Codex of Aihrde, if not, i can get damn close.

Art is coming in pretty steady I"m happy to say.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

(I've posted some of this tale above, but the image came in for it, so am reposting part of the tale so you don't have to look for it)

Anderoth was a dwarf of old, and a sailor of great renown.

Anderoth's many journeys brought the attention of Ealor, Lord of the Deep and he watched with amusement as the tiny crafts scuttled to and fro across his wide realm. Many foundered and drowned upon the shores, others were taken by storms and their ships sent to the Deep Quiet. All this Ealor watched. But Anderoth, the first of his kind, drew Ealor's attention the most and he marveled at the determination and strength of that sailor, so that he challenged him with ever greater storms and ever more powerful beasts.

Anderoth took all this in stride and learned in time from where many of his travails originated, so that he took up the god's challenge and the two contested the waters. But never did Ealor unleash his full strength for such Anderoth could not match and it would mean his doom. But the sailor grew ever skillful and he learned the moods of Ealor and these are the moods of the seas. His mastery pitted him against the greatest storms, and deepest waves and both god and dwarf took great joy in the contest, so that Anderoth plied the deeps for many years.

But at last age overtook Anderoth and his body could not withstand Ealor's challenges. But Ealor, being of the higher order of the Val-Eahrukun was deathless and being separated from all of his own kin did not see nor fully understand the mortality of the dwarves. There came a time where Ealor spied Anderoth aboard his ship and the joy of his mirth tore the sea asunder and sent huge waves upon his ship. The Dwarf Lord's ship rolled to the side and he gripped the steerboard but his arms grew weary before ever Ealor realized it and the dwarf was thrown into the mast and lost sight of the world. He slid over the side, falling into the water's madness to vanish into the Deep Quiet.

His helm and axe sank first and struck the ocean floor near to where Ealor stood and the god looked up to see his friend sinking to depths no creature could go. He saw then that his friend was dead and had left the world of Aihrde. He marveled at death and wondered what it meant.

~The Codex of Aihrde

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Alright,

I'm finished with the Codex of Aihrde. its 42 billion pages long. Really Its just kept growing. Appendix D started as a one page piece, ended at 9 pages. I'm not really sure what to do with this information, so I'm putting it all in there.

There are seven parts to this book. Part 1 is the largest, about equal to the other 6 parts. Right now Parts 1, 2 and 3 are in editing. I'll be sending the rest to editing next monday after I decide if I want to hire a third editor or not.

As for the Players Guide to Aihrde, work is much more advanced on it than I thought (which is nice). The classes are roughed out and half the guilds are complete (rough). But work started on it this afternoon (the 12th). It is MUCH MUCH shorter, so I don't anticipate it taking too long and plus Todd Gray has jumped in to help me with the guilds and classes. He and I wrote Winter Rune and Heart of Glass together 20 million years ago.

This stuff will be released piece meal. When one book is done, backers will get it. I'm hoping to have the Codex edited and laid out next month.

Thanks again for all the insane patience.

Steve

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

For those who bought the Kickstarter level that let's us add a person/place/thing to the project still going to be a part of that?

Or, has that been axed from the plan?
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Absolutely not. I was going to post that next. I just need to figure out the best way for you to get it to me.

And as noted you entry can be a person, place or thing. If you are in doubt, what the world needs is Guilds and Orders more than anything, thieves and wizards guilds most of all.

I'll post shortly when I decide how best to get this info to me that I won't lose it. Email is never a good idea with me.

Thanks!
Steve

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Is there any way to check if I participated in the preorder? I still can't remember.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rigon wrote:Is there any way to check if I participated in the preorder? I still can't remember.

R-
Yes indeed! I just sent you a PM

Steve

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Troll Lord wrote:And as noted you entry can be a person, place or thing. If you are in doubt, what the world needs is Guilds and Orders more than anything, thieves and wizards guilds most of all.
I have my heart set on a person. The only character I have ever retired.

Seems like a fitting tribute. :)
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If they will help to meet any of your needed word counts, feel free to use any of these three orders I wrote up as you see fit:

Order of the Stars Guild (Wizards)
Dues: Annual Dues are 10 GP per level, paid on annual anniversary of joining.
Benefits:

Novice: First to 4th level, Titles: Novice of the Stars, Novice of the Twin Stars, Novice of the Tristar, Novice of the Quadrant. Levels one through 4 respectively.

Get use of libraries to cut research time on new spells by 25%, so 5 days per level. Access to libraries can also allow you a +20 to all knowledge checks per day of research for common types of questions, +20 per week for uncommon/complex questions, and +20 per month for rare and very complex/esoteric questions. (CK's call)

You also are given a room and 2 meals a day any time you stay at a Order residence. Simple foods, like water, bread, and a bit of cheese, maybe a piece of fruit, etc...

You can also assemble your new spellbooks at half cost. Spellbooks normally cost 500 GP per 100 pages, +100 GP per spell level, one level per page. So with the guild those costs are cut in half to 250 GP+50GP per page/level.

Plus, whenever you attain a new rank the Order will make two new spells available to you, of your choosing.

You may also use the Order as your "bank". They will keep however much of your wealth that is non magical safe for you. The cost will be 1% of the highest total you have over the course of the year. The year will run from anniversary to anniversary of the date you first started banking money with the order. Why bank with the Order? Because they are likely the safest "banks" in all of the land, and you can withdraw funds from the nearest chapterhouse. Magical communication may be required to confirm you have deposited funds equal to what you asked for, so it may take an hour or two to have the funds actually given.

Low interest loans are also possible.

Perhaps the most important guild service is helping you replace lost spellbooks. As long as you have it on record with a particular Order Library, the librarian will allow you to copy any common spell you are on record for having in your spell book. Unique or rare spells will only be recoverable if you left a useable copy with that particular Chapter House, or they have it from other means, and you are known to have also had it. Plus you get to replace the books at half cost. If you are broke the order will allow you to replace books on the basis of a loan. Typically you have one year to repay the loan, which is the full price of replacing the spellbooks, not half.

Failure to pay will result in expulsion from the order until three times the defaulted loan is paid, and five years worth of dues, all up front.

Mage Ranks: 5th to 8th Level, Titles: Nova of the First Star, Nova of the Bi-star, Nova, Full Nova

Benefits:

You can use the libraries to research Potion formulae and to make scrolls for 50 GP per level less than normal, or by half, whichever is higher. You may also start to research the making of magic items in preparation for becoming powerful enough to cast Permanency. You also can use the Order labs for making potions, cutting your costs in half, as long as you don't break anything. The cost of raw materials is still your responsibility. Plus the cost of anything you break/ruin. So typically potions you make are 25% of listed book price.

You may buy Potions and scrolls from the Order at 20% off of their "normal" prices when you don't have the time to make them yourself.

Food is now of good quality. Fresh meats, good ale, and special treats like coffee, cinnamon, and chocolates. Your bed is now made with the finest linens and feathers, and you have an attendent to clean your room, make your bed, and to bring you your food. Usually an apprentice.

Costs: Your dues are now 20 GP per level per year (So 100 to 160 GP). Plus the donation of one potion and one scroll, per year.

Mage ranks: 9+, Nova Prime (9th Level), Gold Nova (11/12th Level), Molten Nova (13/14th level), Super Nova (15/16th level), Black Star Nova (17+)

Benefits:

You can use the Order labs to manufacture items of magic. However, your first item made at each Rank is to be given to the order to sell or use as they see fit. You decide what it is to be, but requests may be made of you. The cost of these items are to be covered by you. Use of the orders labs and libraries just saves you the thousands of gold pieces needed to build such facilities. Plus it allows you to make all items at half of the "normal" prices (IE book value in the M&T). You can buy any arcane item you wish at 75% of book price if the order has the item available. 1 to 50% chance, depending on many factors, such as level of spells in the item, caster level of the item, etc... (CK decides probability and rolls, if chance not rolled must wait a year or so for a new chance to be available. CK is always free to say it is available, irregardless).

Plus there is a 80% chance the Order has any special materials you may need to make any given item, such as solar feathers, gorgons breath and blood, Faerie wings, etc... Especially if the requesting member has donated such materials in the past. Such items will be provided at very low cost.

Members of these ranks can buy Potions and scrolls at 30% below "book".

Food is now of top quality, finest meats, finest fruits and vegetables, finest pastries and sweets, fine ales, wines, liquors, and hard drinks, all prepared by top chefs and the best distilleries in the lands.

Plus you have your own private apartments on the Orders Grounds, which are usually just a bedroom and a common room, where you eat, entertain company in private, perform secret/private research. These private quarters are only at one specific location, not at every order. However, when travelling, you will have a room made available to you, and the food will still be of the finest qualities.
If you wish to maintain such private quarters you may do so at a cost of 200 GP per location, per year.

You beds will be made with fine silks, and of colors of your choosing, you may still have someone to clean your room and be a general servant if you wish it. IF you have a spouse they may live in these quarters as well.

General Information about the Order of the Stars.

Its current "Master of the Order" lives in New Aenoch in the capitol city, Ascalon. He is also currently the Arch Mage of New Aenochia in service to the Empress. His level is whatever the CK desires, but in this writing is assumed to be 18 to 20th level. He is a half elf of elven heritage, however he does have three full Primes, not two. He definitely possess' a Staff of the Magi and wears Robes of the Archmagi, his alignment is Lawful Neutral, but definitely favors good over evil.
His titles and name is Black Star Nova Ektor Milren, the Green Mage, Archmage of New Aenoch.

There are Orders located in the cities of: Vilshofen, Ihlsa, Affersholm, with the stronghold of the Lunar Knights hidden in the Aenochian Forest (Members of the Order know how to get here), among the Gnomes living in Grundliche Hohle, and anywhere else in Airhde the CK wishes to reveal. Typically in capitol cities of every land and peoples that are not evil, as well as major sea port and trade cities.

Expected general conduct of members of the order:

In general Wizards are expected to keep their membership in the order secret, even from other members below you in rank, but above the levels of Novice. Novice Rank members will know mostly of only other Novice's and only Librarians of Order Houses they have visited, and whomever they were trained by as apprentices. They may know of others by sight, but unlikely to know them by name. Only the Master of the Order (in formal capacities called the Master of the Stars) definitely knows all members of the Order, or at least has such information recorded somewhere. It is likely a few other Black Star Nova's, Super Nova's, and maybe even Molten Nova's know most, if not all, of the members of the order. They are likely only those trusted by the current Master of the Stars, or were trusted by a former Master of the Stars. Librarians would also know a fair number of order members just due to their jobs.

Order members are allowed to hold many belief's, but are not allowed to support evil, or to perform evil acts, unless necessary to achieve a greater good, such as saving more lives than would be lost, protecting the order, etc...

Members will be called upon to explain such actions when known. Members who are found to have "forgotten" to report such acts will be closely scrutinized, including stripping themselves naked and allowing themselves to be subjected to any kind of divination. Refusal to do so will result in expulsion from the order, and likely result in being hunted down and slain. Being found to be evil will likely result in death as well.

You are also expected to use spells responsibly. Being found to have fireballed innocent bystanders, burning down buildings, villages, towns, cities, forests, etc... will definitely get you in trouble.

You are also expected to fight and eradicate evil whenever possible, especially when it involves evil minded Wizards and other spellcasters. This is not expected of you if they are obviously more powerful than you. You are expected to make the Order aware of such persons and creatures as soon as your able.

You are also expected to collect supplies for the Order. Whenever you kill, or are able to capture, magical beasts, such as Gorgons, Medusa, Dragons, Faerie, or find uncommon or rare flora and fauna, or metals and minerals, you are to collect as much as possible and bring it to the order to be stored and used by Order members.

You are also encouraged to donate items of magic, or at least offer to sell it to the Order first.

You are also expected to perform services for the Order when requested, such as finding needed special materials, negotiating a trade supply agreement for the Order, or whatever else comes up that a senior member requests your help in doing.

Order of the Lunar Knights

The Order is very simplistic.

Its established around the goal of defending the world, their lands, and their people. Primarily from the forces of organized Evil. The members can be from almost any class, Knights, Paladins, Fighters, Rangers, Wizards, Monks, Bards, and Clerics. They are almost exclusively Elven, but other races have been members in the past. The primary requirement for joining is a commitment to protect and fight against the forces of Evil. Race and class is very secondary to that. Evil is definitely not acceptable.

Members of the order are not only expected to accomplish the over all goal, they are also expected to help the order have financial resources to support the members and their over all goal. They are also expected to answer any call to arms issued by the order, unless doing so would leave the lives of those unable to protect themselves at risk.

So members are expected to strive to pay at least 100 GP to the order coffers per year. If a order member becomes, or is, rich, they are expected to financially support the order as much as they can. That definition is left up to the conscience of the individual member. A minimum of 10% is an excellent starting point.

What the order offers in support:

AS for most orders, it offers a sanctuary to all members and their allies.

It offers a way to rally great numbers of like minded allies when such is needed against a discovered threat.

It offers a network of friends and alliances with groups and individuals who are not members of the order, but share overlapping goals. These alliances and friendships give members a network to obtain rare items, magic items, high quality items, training, knowledge, and any other resources. One obvious such benefit is a source for trained Griffons. Another is to get items enchanted with specified spells by high level enchanters. Discount prices may or may not be available.

It offers an extended family of friendships to help a member of the order to live a good life, while they make many sacrifices so others may live a safe life.

Leadership of the order is very loose. Essentially positions of leadership are filled by those willing and able to fill them. They use simple military ranks to make these distinctions. A common member is simply called a “soldier”. You then have a Sargent, who will lead “squads” which can number up to 20 men. You then have First Sargents, who can command up to 3 full squads. The next highest rank is Leftenant, who commands up to 5 full squads.
Then you have a Captain, who can command up to 10 full squads and/or is responsible for the safety and security of specific lands belonging to the order. Leftenants can also be called on to fulfill such responsibilities if there are not enough Captains.

Then there are Commanders who are in charge of Brigades, made up of up to 30 full squads (600 men) and are often responsible for the oversite and co ordinated operation and defense of Order lands in a specified area or region containing 2 or more properties of the Order. You then have Generals who are in command of any number of Brigades, depending on the needs determined by the nature of the military opponent or opponents being engaged. Typically it will be a minimum of two Brigades, but can be just one, or even 20 Brigades. Generals in time of peace are in over all command of the Orders business' and properties in a given Kingdom, or larger regions if there is no unifying government, such as areas filled with many City-States.

Then there is the Commander General. He or she is the over all commander of the Order, and co ordinates and commands all the troops in times of warfare, and does the same for all of the Orders properties and businesses when and where there is peace.

Order of the Phoenix

An order for Knightly warriors.

You join the Order via sponsorhship or invitation and approval of the council, or are born into it.

Titles:
First level: Knight of Ash
3rd level: Knight of Fire
5th Level: Knight of the Blue Flame
8th Level: Knight of the White Flame
10th Level: Knight of the Invisible Flame
Knights in charge of Chapter Houses: Captain of the Vigilant Flame of "City name"
Overall Commander of Chapter houses in a given Kingdom/City State/etc...: Fire Lord of "insert name"

Overall leader of the Order of the Phoenix: The Eternal Flame

Privledges of the Knights:

As is common of most Knightly orders each Chapter House or Landed Knight of the order will always provide housing and food for up to a month, both for the Knight and his mount. To stay longer the Knight must perform some type of helpful service, daily, to the order. Either working as an apprentice in the Smithy, training mounts, etc...

The Chapter Houses, and homes of richer landed members, offer libraries from which to research and learn Coats of Arms and Heraldry of many lands, especially those in which members of the Order live. There is also a list of Chapter Houses and landed members homes, so that a Knight can plan out ahead a time his itinerary, as well as send messages ahead as courteous "warnings" that a guest is coming.

These libraries also contain treatise' on engineering, armor and weapon making, leadership, tactics, even how to combat magic on the battlefield, etc...

Spending a month studying any one topic in these libraries can allow the character to have that Knowledge skill. GM call, as usual. Crafting can be learned to, but will require more time, and actually constructing items under a Master. Refer to armor and weapon crafting below for a basic guideline.

Other benefits, every Chapter House and home of a Landed noble has, its own Blacksmithing Shop, allowing for crafting of weapons and armor for the Knight and his mount. This allows Knights of the Order to make themselves armor and weapons, if they know how, for half of the listed book price, including, if they are skilled enough to do so, expertly made items. The expert portion will only double the price, but the length of time will be the same, which is one additonal week for each plus to be put on a weapon (+1 to hit and damage would be two extra weeks). For Expert Armor it will require and extra month of crafting, Crafting Full Plate armor typically takes 3 months of dedicated time, so expert would require 4 months. Plate Mail takes a month, so expert would take two months. Full Chain takes 6 weeks when done by one laborer, two laborers would cut it to 3 weeks, 3 laborers to two weeks. Expert would add a month, period, due to the meticulous care and attention to detail needed for EVERY link of chain. In fact, if it is done by only one laborer Expert chain will take 3 months. Similiar for a Chain Shirt, but its base is time is two weeks.

In fact all times assume one highly skilled person doing all labor, times can be adjusted due to additionally highly skilled craftsmen or Journey Man Apprentices.

IF a Knight does not have the ability, or the time, to make their own weapons and armor, they may buy it from the Chapter houses at 20% off typical base prices, then use the Expert modifier (x3 base cost) when purchasing expert items.

Enameling or etching coats of arms, holy symbols, and other designs can up the price considerably, up to tripling its base cost. Use of silver and gold plating or inlay will increase things even more. Setting of gemstones will increase prices even more. (GM logic time!)

Most Knights of the Order of the Phoenix who were born to the order, meaning their mother or father was/is a member of the Order, would have been trained/apprenticed in these smithies learning to do many of these smithing processes and techniques. General knowledge will have been taught to them by the time they were 16. Most Knights are Knighted and indoctrinated as full members of the order at age 18, when born to the order.

Knights who never learned to do this work can apprentice themselves at any time to learn them. However it will take a 3 year intensive course to learn everything. 1 year to learn all armors, 1 year to learn all knightly weapons, and one year to learn enameling, gem setting, etching, and inlay.

To be able to do expert and high quality artisan work a Knight must be very wise, or have a high artistic skill, depending on system rules. Otherwise they are only capable of highly serviceable and "nice" looking work. No expert quality, or high end art work (meaning in lay, enameling, etching, etc...)

Also realize that true masters of expert work also make their own steel, and their own molds with which to caste the steel, which is a large part of why it takes so much longer. To make truly expert weapons and armor you have to know how well they were caste in the first place.

The order often has business "partnerships", in particular with high end clothes makers, jewelers, goldsmiths, silversmiths, saddle makers, etc... Typically these partnerships allow Order members to get 10 to 30% discounts off of the final price of items and custom made work. Other partnerhsips with other businesses may also exist, but you must inquire with the local Chapter House to find out what, or look for businesses displaying the Order of the Phoenix's Coat of Arms.

The biggest benefit to a Knight of the Order is when they do a Call to Arms. Their call is always responded to as fast as possible. This means that 20 will answer the call every 2 weeks, even more if the gods are with you (IE the GM allows it).

Another benefit of the order, which can be a huge one, is for politically active Knights. Members will always back each other, even across national boundaries, as long as they are not to counter purposes of the political activities of other members. Even when they are up to plans counter to one another they will work out how to minimize the effects between them.

Expected behaviour of Knights:

They will fulfill the Virtues and Code of Conduct as laid out in the rule book. With stronger emphasis on Honor, Largesse, and Loyalty. A knight still would never want to be found out to have done anything counter to any of the codes. Expulsion is almost assured in such cases. Atonement and being reinstituted into the order are theoretically possible, but has never been done.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:And as noted you entry can be a person, place or thing. If you are in doubt, what the world needs is Guilds and Orders more than anything, thieves and wizards guilds most of all.
I have my heart set on a person. The only character I have ever retired.

Seems like a fitting tribute. :)
Yes indeed!

Alright send the contributions to Tim at his email which is [email protected]. He won't lose them and I will.

First edited files came back this morning, Section 3 Cosmology. She skipped 2, but must be working on it now.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:If they will help to meet any of your needed word counts, feel free to use any of these three orders I wrote up as you see fit:

Order of the Stars Guild (Wizards)
Dues: Annual Dues are 10 GP per level, paid on annual anniversary of joining.
Benefits:

Novice: First to 4th level, Titles: Novice of the Stars, Novice of the Twin Stars, Novice of the Tristar, Novice of the Quadrant. Levels one through 4 respectively.

Get use of libraries to cut research time on new spells by 25%, so 5 days per level. Access to libraries can also allow you a +20 to all knowledge checks per day of research for common types of questions, +20 per week for uncommon/complex questions, and +20 per month for rare and very complex/esoteric questions. (CK's call)

You also are given a room and 2 meals a day any time you stay at a Order residence. Simple foods, like water, bread, and a bit of cheese, maybe a piece of fruit, etc...

You can also assemble your new spellbooks at half cost. Spellbooks normally cost 500 GP per 100 pages, +100 GP per spell level, one level per page. So with the guild those costs are cut in half to 250 GP+50GP per page/level.

Plus, whenever you attain a new rank the Order will make two new spells available to you, of your choosing.

You may also use the Order as your "bank". They will keep however much of your wealth that is non magical safe for you. The cost will be 1% of the highest total you have over the course of the year. The year will run from anniversary to anniversary of the date you first started banking money with the order. Why bank with the Order? Because they are likely the safest "banks" in all of the land, and you can withdraw funds from the nearest chapterhouse. Magical communication may be required to confirm you have deposited funds equal to what you asked for, so it may take an hour or two to have the funds actually given.

Low interest loans are also possible.

Perhaps the most important guild service is helping you replace lost spellbooks. As long as you have it on record with a particular Order Library, the librarian will allow you to copy any common spell you are on record for having in your spell book. Unique or rare spells will only be recoverable if you left a useable copy with that particular Chapter House, or they have it from other means, and you are known to have also had it. Plus you get to replace the books at half cost. If you are broke the order will allow you to replace books on the basis of a loan. Typically you have one year to repay the loan, which is the full price of replacing the spellbooks, not half.

Failure to pay will result in expulsion from the order until three times the defaulted loan is paid, and five years worth of dues, all up front.

Mage Ranks: 5th to 8th Level, Titles: Nova of the First Star, Nova of the Bi-star, Nova, Full Nova

Benefits:

You can use the libraries to research Potion formulae and to make scrolls for 50 GP per level less than normal, or by half, whichever is higher. You may also start to research the making of magic items in preparation for becoming powerful enough to cast Permanency. You also can use the Order labs for making potions, cutting your costs in half, as long as you don't break anything. The cost of raw materials is still your responsibility. Plus the cost of anything you break/ruin. So typically potions you make are 25% of listed book price.

You may buy Potions and scrolls from the Order at 20% off of their "normal" prices when you don't have the time to make them yourself.

Food is now of good quality. Fresh meats, good ale, and special treats like coffee, cinnamon, and chocolates. Your bed is now made with the finest linens and feathers, and you have an attendent to clean your room, make your bed, and to bring you your food. Usually an apprentice.

Costs: Your dues are now 20 GP per level per year (So 100 to 160 GP). Plus the donation of one potion and one scroll, per year.

Mage ranks: 9+, Nova Prime (9th Level), Gold Nova (11/12th Level), Molten Nova (13/14th level), Super Nova (15/16th level), Black Star Nova (17+)

Benefits:

You can use the Order labs to manufacture items of magic. However, your first item made at each Rank is to be given to the order to sell or use as they see fit. You decide what it is to be, but requests may be made of you. The cost of these items are to be covered by you. Use of the orders labs and libraries just saves you the thousands of gold pieces needed to build such facilities. Plus it allows you to make all items at half of the "normal" prices (IE book value in the M&T). You can buy any arcane item you wish at 75% of book price if the order has the item available. 1 to 50% chance, depending on many factors, such as level of spells in the item, caster level of the item, etc... (CK decides probability and rolls, if chance not rolled must wait a year or so for a new chance to be available. CK is always free to say it is available, irregardless).

Plus there is a 80% chance the Order has any special materials you may need to make any given item, such as solar feathers, gorgons breath and blood, Faerie wings, etc... Especially if the requesting member has donated such materials in the past. Such items will be provided at very low cost.

Members of these ranks can buy Potions and scrolls at 30% below "book".

Food is now of top quality, finest meats, finest fruits and vegetables, finest pastries and sweets, fine ales, wines, liquors, and hard drinks, all prepared by top chefs and the best distilleries in the lands.

Plus you have your own private apartments on the Orders Grounds, which are usually just a bedroom and a common room, where you eat, entertain company in private, perform secret/private research. These private quarters are only at one specific location, not at every order. However, when travelling, you will have a room made available to you, and the food will still be of the finest qualities.
If you wish to maintain such private quarters you may do so at a cost of 200 GP per location, per year.

You beds will be made with fine silks, and of colors of your choosing, you may still have someone to clean your room and be a general servant if you wish it. IF you have a spouse they may live in these quarters as well.

General Information about the Order of the Stars.

Its current "Master of the Order" lives in New Aenoch in the capitol city, Ascalon. He is also currently the Arch Mage of New Aenochia in service to the Empress. His level is whatever the CK desires, but in this writing is assumed to be 18 to 20th level. He is a half elf of elven heritage, however he does have three full Primes, not two. He definitely possess' a Staff of the Magi and wears Robes of the Archmagi, his alignment is Lawful Neutral, but definitely favors good over evil.
His titles and name is Black Star Nova Ektor Milren, the Green Mage, Archmage of New Aenoch.

There are Orders located in the cities of: Vilshofen, Ihlsa, Affersholm, with the stronghold of the Lunar Knights hidden in the Aenochian Forest (Members of the Order know how to get here), among the Gnomes living in Grundliche Hohle, and anywhere else in Airhde the CK wishes to reveal. Typically in capitol cities of every land and peoples that are not evil, as well as major sea port and trade cities.

Expected general conduct of members of the order:

In general Wizards are expected to keep their membership in the order secret, even from other members below you in rank, but above the levels of Novice. Novice Rank members will know mostly of only other Novice's and only Librarians of Order Houses they have visited, and whomever they were trained by as apprentices. They may know of others by sight, but unlikely to know them by name. Only the Master of the Order (in formal capacities called the Master of the Stars) definitely knows all members of the Order, or at least has such information recorded somewhere. It is likely a few other Black Star Nova's, Super Nova's, and maybe even Molten Nova's know most, if not all, of the members of the order. They are likely only those trusted by the current Master of the Stars, or were trusted by a former Master of the Stars. Librarians would also know a fair number of order members just due to their jobs.

Order members are allowed to hold many belief's, but are not allowed to support evil, or to perform evil acts, unless necessary to achieve a greater good, such as saving more lives than would be lost, protecting the order, etc...

Members will be called upon to explain such actions when known. Members who are found to have "forgotten" to report such acts will be closely scrutinized, including stripping themselves naked and allowing themselves to be subjected to any kind of divination. Refusal to do so will result in expulsion from the order, and likely result in being hunted down and slain. Being found to be evil will likely result in death as well.

You are also expected to use spells responsibly. Being found to have fireballed innocent bystanders, burning down buildings, villages, towns, cities, forests, etc... will definitely get you in trouble.

You are also expected to fight and eradicate evil whenever possible, especially when it involves evil minded Wizards and other spellcasters. This is not expected of you if they are obviously more powerful than you. You are expected to make the Order aware of such persons and creatures as soon as your able.

You are also expected to collect supplies for the Order. Whenever you kill, or are able to capture, magical beasts, such as Gorgons, Medusa, Dragons, Faerie, or find uncommon or rare flora and fauna, or metals and minerals, you are to collect as much as possible and bring it to the order to be stored and used by Order members.

You are also encouraged to donate items of magic, or at least offer to sell it to the Order first.

You are also expected to perform services for the Order when requested, such as finding needed special materials, negotiating a trade supply agreement for the Order, or whatever else comes up that a senior member requests your help in doing.

Order of the Lunar Knights

The Order is very simplistic.

Its established around the goal of defending the world, their lands, and their people. Primarily from the forces of organized Evil. The members can be from almost any class, Knights, Paladins, Fighters, Rangers, Wizards, Monks, Bards, and Clerics. They are almost exclusively Elven, but other races have been members in the past. The primary requirement for joining is a commitment to protect and fight against the forces of Evil. Race and class is very secondary to that. Evil is definitely not acceptable.

Members of the order are not only expected to accomplish the over all goal, they are also expected to help the order have financial resources to support the members and their over all goal. They are also expected to answer any call to arms issued by the order, unless doing so would leave the lives of those unable to protect themselves at risk.

So members are expected to strive to pay at least 100 GP to the order coffers per year. If a order member becomes, or is, rich, they are expected to financially support the order as much as they can. That definition is left up to the conscience of the individual member. A minimum of 10% is an excellent starting point.

What the order offers in support:

AS for most orders, it offers a sanctuary to all members and their allies.

It offers a way to rally great numbers of like minded allies when such is needed against a discovered threat.

It offers a network of friends and alliances with groups and individuals who are not members of the order, but share overlapping goals. These alliances and friendships give members a network to obtain rare items, magic items, high quality items, training, knowledge, and any other resources. One obvious such benefit is a source for trained Griffons. Another is to get items enchanted with specified spells by high level enchanters. Discount prices may or may not be available.

It offers an extended family of friendships to help a member of the order to live a good life, while they make many sacrifices so others may live a safe life.

Leadership of the order is very loose. Essentially positions of leadership are filled by those willing and able to fill them. They use simple military ranks to make these distinctions. A common member is simply called a “soldier”. You then have a Sargent, who will lead “squads” which can number up to 20 men. You then have First Sargents, who can command up to 3 full squads. The next highest rank is Leftenant, who commands up to 5 full squads.
Then you have a Captain, who can command up to 10 full squads and/or is responsible for the safety and security of specific lands belonging to the order. Leftenants can also be called on to fulfill such responsibilities if there are not enough Captains.

Then there are Commanders who are in charge of Brigades, made up of up to 30 full squads (600 men) and are often responsible for the oversite and co ordinated operation and defense of Order lands in a specified area or region containing 2 or more properties of the Order. You then have Generals who are in command of any number of Brigades, depending on the needs determined by the nature of the military opponent or opponents being engaged. Typically it will be a minimum of two Brigades, but can be just one, or even 20 Brigades. Generals in time of peace are in over all command of the Orders business' and properties in a given Kingdom, or larger regions if there is no unifying government, such as areas filled with many City-States.

Then there is the Commander General. He or she is the over all commander of the Order, and co ordinates and commands all the troops in times of warfare, and does the same for all of the Orders properties and businesses when and where there is peace.

Order of the Phoenix

An order for Knightly warriors.

You join the Order via sponsorhship or invitation and approval of the council, or are born into it.

Titles:
First level: Knight of Ash
3rd level: Knight of Fire
5th Level: Knight of the Blue Flame
8th Level: Knight of the White Flame
10th Level: Knight of the Invisible Flame
Knights in charge of Chapter Houses: Captain of the Vigilant Flame of "City name"
Overall Commander of Chapter houses in a given Kingdom/City State/etc...: Fire Lord of "insert name"

Overall leader of the Order of the Phoenix: The Eternal Flame

Privledges of the Knights:

As is common of most Knightly orders each Chapter House or Landed Knight of the order will always provide housing and food for up to a month, both for the Knight and his mount. To stay longer the Knight must perform some type of helpful service, daily, to the order. Either working as an apprentice in the Smithy, training mounts, etc...

The Chapter Houses, and homes of richer landed members, offer libraries from which to research and learn Coats of Arms and Heraldry of many lands, especially those in which members of the Order live. There is also a list of Chapter Houses and landed members homes, so that a Knight can plan out ahead a time his itinerary, as well as send messages ahead as courteous "warnings" that a guest is coming.

These libraries also contain treatise' on engineering, armor and weapon making, leadership, tactics, even how to combat magic on the battlefield, etc...

Spending a month studying any one topic in these libraries can allow the character to have that Knowledge skill. GM call, as usual. Crafting can be learned to, but will require more time, and actually constructing items under a Master. Refer to armor and weapon crafting below for a basic guideline.

Other benefits, every Chapter House and home of a Landed noble has, its own Blacksmithing Shop, allowing for crafting of weapons and armor for the Knight and his mount. This allows Knights of the Order to make themselves armor and weapons, if they know how, for half of the listed book price, including, if they are skilled enough to do so, expertly made items. The expert portion will only double the price, but the length of time will be the same, which is one additonal week for each plus to be put on a weapon (+1 to hit and damage would be two extra weeks). For Expert Armor it will require and extra month of crafting, Crafting Full Plate armor typically takes 3 months of dedicated time, so expert would require 4 months. Plate Mail takes a month, so expert would take two months. Full Chain takes 6 weeks when done by one laborer, two laborers would cut it to 3 weeks, 3 laborers to two weeks. Expert would add a month, period, due to the meticulous care and attention to detail needed for EVERY link of chain. In fact, if it is done by only one laborer Expert chain will take 3 months. Similiar for a Chain Shirt, but its base is time is two weeks.

In fact all times assume one highly skilled person doing all labor, times can be adjusted due to additionally highly skilled craftsmen or Journey Man Apprentices.

IF a Knight does not have the ability, or the time, to make their own weapons and armor, they may buy it from the Chapter houses at 20% off typical base prices, then use the Expert modifier (x3 base cost) when purchasing expert items.

Enameling or etching coats of arms, holy symbols, and other designs can up the price considerably, up to tripling its base cost. Use of silver and gold plating or inlay will increase things even more. Setting of gemstones will increase prices even more. (GM logic time!)

Most Knights of the Order of the Phoenix who were born to the order, meaning their mother or father was/is a member of the Order, would have been trained/apprenticed in these smithies learning to do many of these smithing processes and techniques. General knowledge will have been taught to them by the time they were 16. Most Knights are Knighted and indoctrinated as full members of the order at age 18, when born to the order.

Knights who never learned to do this work can apprentice themselves at any time to learn them. However it will take a 3 year intensive course to learn everything. 1 year to learn all armors, 1 year to learn all knightly weapons, and one year to learn enameling, gem setting, etching, and inlay.

To be able to do expert and high quality artisan work a Knight must be very wise, or have a high artistic skill, depending on system rules. Otherwise they are only capable of highly serviceable and "nice" looking work. No expert quality, or high end art work (meaning in lay, enameling, etching, etc...)

Also realize that true masters of expert work also make their own steel, and their own molds with which to caste the steel, which is a large part of why it takes so much longer. To make truly expert weapons and armor you have to know how well they were caste in the first place.

The order often has business "partnerships", in particular with high end clothes makers, jewelers, goldsmiths, silversmiths, saddle makers, etc... Typically these partnerships allow Order members to get 10 to 30% discounts off of the final price of items and custom made work. Other partnerhsips with other businesses may also exist, but you must inquire with the local Chapter House to find out what, or look for businesses displaying the Order of the Phoenix's Coat of Arms.

The biggest benefit to a Knight of the Order is when they do a Call to Arms. Their call is always responded to as fast as possible. This means that 20 will answer the call every 2 weeks, even more if the gods are with you (IE the GM allows it).

Another benefit of the order, which can be a huge one, is for politically active Knights. Members will always back each other, even across national boundaries, as long as they are not to counter purposes of the political activities of other members. Even when they are up to plans counter to one another they will work out how to minimize the effects between them.

Expected behaviour of Knights:

They will fulfill the Virtues and Code of Conduct as laid out in the rule book. With stronger emphasis on Honor, Largesse, and Loyalty. A knight still would never want to be found out to have done anything counter to any of the codes. Expulsion is almost assured in such cases. Atonement and being reinstituted into the order are theoretically possible, but has never been done.
Very cool! You've got them outlined for player content, more for the Players Guide.

I"ll delve into these this weekend.

Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, such organizations are coolest when you can actually join them, and know what you will be expected to give, as well as receive.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Alright folks,

All this is theoretically back on my desk, cleaned and edited on April 15. Which is good timing as teh Players Handbook 6 has to be print ready by then so Peter can start layout on this guy, which its pretty standard so won't take him too long.

So for your SUBMISSIONS

Please send them to troll_at_trolllord.com. If you do not get a reply from me within 48 hours (not including weekends) buzz me here.

Really glad we are at the end of this road and than you all for the crazed patience!

Thanks!
Steve

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Sent but email returned. Says your mail server rejected due to spam filter. I'm evil, but not spamming you.

Who/What should I contact to get you my submission?

Thanks.

Scott

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Troll Lord wrote:Alright folks,

All this is theoretically back on my desk, cleaned and edited on April 15. Which is good timing as teh Players Handbook 6 has to be print ready by then so Peter can start layout on this guy, which its pretty standard so won't take him too long.

So for your SUBMISSIONS

Please send them to troll_at_trolllord.com. If you do not get a reply from me within 48 hours (not including weekends) buzz me here.

Really glad we are at the end of this road and than you all for the crazed patience!

Thanks!
Steve
What news, good sir!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Lay out!

I hired Brendan Lasalle to give this another, tighter edit. He's turned over the first chunk and its on to layout.

Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

magick3six wrote:Sent but email returned. Says your mail server rejected due to spam filter. I'm evil, but not spamming you.

Who/What should I contact to get you my submission?

Thanks.

Scott

I'm just addressing the obvious, when you used the above given e-mail, troll_at_trolllord.com, did you know to remove the underscores "_" and to make it all 1 word? So it is troll @ trolllord dot com. That this is done to avoid the detection of e-mail SPAM bots? Also, remove all the spaces in my example, etc...

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Can't wait to get this and find some lonely place in Aihrde, far from the A series, and start up a sandbox.

Or just run the A-series.

Why our our lifespans so short?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

I have some very minor things to clear up. I'm about to send this to layout. Probably right after Gencon.

Once its laid out a digital copy goes to all backers and we roll her off to press.

We are finally at the end of this insanely long wait (though not quite as long as for the CKG I don't think).

Thanks for the continued patience!
Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Troll Lord wrote:I have some very minor things to clear up. I'm about to send this to layout. Probably right after Gencon.

Once its laid out a digital copy goes to all backers and we roll her off to press.

We are finally at the end of this insanely long wait (though not quite as long as for the CKG I don't think).

Thanks for the continued patience!
Steve
You mean we might, finally, see this before the end of the year? I find it very hard to believe. :lol:

Give us time to go over the PDF before you send it off to the printers. At least a week.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hmm, I need to get in on this.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I think when I preordered this there wasn't even Kickstarter, or email, or the wheel... I wonder if my order is even still in?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

I just upped my pledge on the Storyteller's Thesaurus to add the Codex to my rewards :P
~DMSamuel
---

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

DMSamuel wrote:I just upped my pledge on the Storyteller's Thesaurus to add the Codex to my rewards :P
That's a dang good idea.

*checks funds and hopes the fact that it's Friday helps tip the scales in his favor*
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Codex coming soon? That's great.

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Troll Lord wrote: We are finally at the end of this insanely long wait (though not quite as long as for the CKG I don't think).

Steve
I believe the CKG was 7+ years. This one's only at 2.5 years. It's still like brand new. Hardly a drop in the Troll Bucket.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Well, A13 Aufstrag hasn't been released yet, Stephen. There's always hope you could break the old CKG record with that one. ;) Or, you could make us wait 10 or more years for the long awaited...Gnomes of Aihrde!

jamonwagner
Henchman

Post by jamonwagner »

I'm assuming that it is way too late to get in on the preorder? I'd had my eyes on the Codex and the Player's Guide in the Anvil for quite some time. I didn't realize that there was a preorder available until I finally decided to come into the forums to check if any release dates had been mentioned...