TLG's Castle Zagyg in PDF

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

TLG's Castle Zagyg in PDF

Post by Arduin »

Has there been any mention of this coming out in PDF format? I think that it would sell. If any % goes to GG's widow I sure that would be nice...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: TLs Castle Zagyg in PDF

Post by Omote »

Never going to happen.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Omote wrote:Never going to happen.

~O
Why do you say that?

House Rules

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

If I remember correctly, it's because the IP owner (Mrs Gygax) won't give permission, and is holding those rights so tightly that they can't breathe. The family evidently had intent to publish either on their own or to license at a higher price. Unfortunately, I think they've assumed that the monetary value of the IP is as high as it was in 1979 - 1981.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:If I remember correctly, it's because the IP owner (Mrs Gygax) won't give permission, and is holding those rights so tightly that they can't breathe. The family evidently had intent to publish either on their own or to license at a higher price. Unfortunately, I think they've assumed that the monetary value of the IP is as high as it was in 1979 - 1981.

Thanks, that makes sense. Not monetary sense but, as to why TLs can't republish as PDF.

House Rules

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Also, for some of the stuff, Gary was less then thrilled of the prospect of seeing some of this stuff in PDF in the first place so it just wasn't done. The Upper Works and the Ysggburgh hardback were never officially released in PDF (and I have have not seen unofficial ones). A shame given that I would really love these resources on my tablet for my own personal use.

M

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh, and the East Mark were great products. Obviously, EGG "got it." EGG and his co-writer, the esteemed Jeffrey Talanian, were pushing through with a terriffic setting, tons of Gygaxian elements, and really a classic place to adventure. E. Gary Gygax had decided that the home of Yggsburgh, the East Mark and all of that setting was at Troll Lord Games. Then, Mr. Gygax passed away. The heart of this project was ripped from TLG the day that EGG's wife reclaimed the IP. No one really, REALLY knows why this was done. Most suspect that Gary Gygax's wife was given some bad advice. After the problematic period of EGG's passing, and the whole IP mess being taken away from TLG, the co-author J. Talanian moved on. I think he said somewhere once that he would never return to the East Mark. And that was the end. Perhaps the owner of the East Mark IP have shopped it around. Perhaps there was once momentum on bringing it back to the fans, but nothing has been heard in years.

At this point, I would just like to remember the greatness of the setting that was released by TLG, EGG, JT and the author's who worked on the few town supplements that were released. It was awesome. It was a great time to be a fan, but now those particular days are over. They will never be back.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Mori, you are correct. I think Stephen told me that Gary never wanted those on PDF. I hate that Gary's products are lost in limboville. If somebody seeks big $$$ from zagyg and other properties, where are they gonna go? Wotc? Paizo? All I know is that most of Gary's faithful are at the youngest, in their 30's. More like 40's and 50's. We're not getting any younger. At this rate, we'll either be too old, or too dead to car by the time somebody strikes a deal. The younger kids will say...rpg's? Gary who? Either way, all the respect in the world to Ernie, Luke, and the rest of the Gygax clan. Castles and Crusades has continued on with some great new material. Trollzah!!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Well said, Omote.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I WILL SEND YOU ALL COPIES OF THE PDF!!!!

*spoiler alert*
I don't have them :(
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

Omote wrote:Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh, and the East Mark were great products. Obviously, EGG "got it." EGG and his co-writer, the esteemed Jeffrey Talanian, were pushing through with a terriffic setting, tons of Gygaxian elements, and really a classic place to adventure. E. Gary Gygax had decided that the home of Yggsburgh, the East Mark and all of that setting was at Troll Lord Games. Then, Mr. Gygax passed away. The heart of this project was ripped from TLG the day that EGG's wife reclaimed the IP. No one really, REALLY knows why this was done. Most suspect that Gary Gygax's wife was given some bad advice. After the problematic period of EGG's passing, and the whole IP mess being taken away from TLG, the co-author J. Talanian moved on. I think he said somewhere once that he would never return to the East Mark. And that was the end. Perhaps the owner of the East Mark IP have shopped it around. Perhaps there was once momentum on bringing it back to the fans, but nothing has been heard in years.

At this point, I would just like to remember the greatness of the setting that was released by TLG, EGG, JT and the author's who worked on the few town supplements that were released. It was awesome. It was a great time to be a fan, but now those particular days are over. They will never be back.

~O
Total agreement on the excellence of the products. A true tragedy that they were never finished. Maybe when "D&D Next" comes out, there will be an offer from that quarter. If the game is as compatible with old-school products as they claim/hope, then Castle Zagyg would be a good property for Wizards to get.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

What other company, short of paizo, could pony up the bucks? Whatever the price might be.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

:(

Lastima...(which is spanish for sadness...)

Despite the current circumstances, I will keep the faith. I pray, that one day, peace will be made with Jeffrey Talanian, and Gygax Games, licenses will be settled, collaberation will commence and we will see Troll Lord Games produce the legendary Castle Zagyg as planned....

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... plans.html

Much thanks to Joe Bloch of the Greyhawk Grognard who has immortalized the vision of Castles & Crusades' Castles Zagyg and for keeping the flame of hope burning.

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh

Beneath the shadows of the ancient, dreaded Castle Zagyg stands the fortified town of Yggsburgh. Its stout walls and cobbled ways give ample refuge to those bold and worthy adventurers who come to the Four Tors to plunder the dungeon deeps of the Mad Mage. Beyond the protective covering of the town's walls and the deep waters of the Urt and Nemo Rivers, lie a vast rolling countryside from the Glittering Knobs, the Uplands to the Lonely Valley.

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg: Upper Works

The curse has finally lifted!

Castle Zagyg, Volume II: The Upper Works is the first of at least three boxed sets to comprise this unparalleled mega-adventure. Never before told, these adventures are Gary Gygax’s personal creations. For 30 years, whether at Gary's table or on the convention floor, players have dashed themselves against the shoals of Castle Zagyg. So many have tried plundering these deeps of Gary's favorite wizard that the dungeons have become legends throughout the gaming world

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg Volume III: The Dungeons

Beyond the gates and beneath the rooms of the mighty castle lie the upper chambers of the dungeons. Here, Zagyg gathered great store of supplies, built cellars and made room for the host of his minions. Too, he built a great Arena for his evil sport and opened the gate to the dread depths of the Ebon Well.

More than a Campaign Setting!

This third installment of the Castle Zagyg series brings the adventuring party beneath the ruins of the dread castle itself.

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg Volume IV: The Deeps

In the Deeps, the true terror and horror of Zagyg's mind was revealed, for here he built his laboratories. And ever his minions carted creatures great and small, proud and downtrodden to the rooms of the menagerie and these fed the vile experiments of his temper. The remains of tortures peopled his museum which led to the great ramp of the Inclined Way and the Catacombs beyond.

This fourth installment of the Castle Zagyg series brings the adventuring party into the labyrinthine corridors of the midlevels of the castle.

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg Vol V: Chambers of Stone

Zagyg's power burrowed into the deeps of the earth, where only dark things dwell. In these parts of the dungeons even his minions dreaded to go and they called these places the "Lairs" and the "Chambers of Stone". Here were the lesser and greater Crypts, the Warrens and the nightmare of the Endless Rooms.

This fifth installment of the Castle Zagyg series brings the adventuring party into the caves of the underdark.

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg Vol VI: A Lightless Lake

The foundations of Castle Zagyg were built upon the great caverns where sat the foul reek of the Pools of Chaos. Snaking from their deeps were a host of caverns, networks of tunnels that led to countless pits and the deep places of the earth. Here, all manner of evil came to dwell.

This sixth installment of the Castle Zagyg series brings the adventuring party into the magical worlds of Zagyg's making and the heart of his dark realm.

Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg Vol VII: Zagyg's Way

Beyond the confines of the dungeons of Castle Zagyg, in the deeps of the world, stands the Lightless Lake, bound only by the ever burning flames of the Infernos. Zagyg himself tread those halls with caution, and even then, only when girded in his greatest sorceries. For there, if the legends are believed, were the gates to other worlds . . . worlds of dread and death.

This seventh and final installment of the Castle Zagyg series brings the adventuring party to the point of no return.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

So....I am wondering. With D&D Next coming out and the fact that the play test module was written by Gary....is it possible that they will go to Miss Gygax with a sizeable offer for the castle? It would make sense and would be a selling point with us grognards...

She may get what she thinks it is worth. Just me rambling.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If anybody had the capital to back that up, it would be WOTC. I'm not sure if they would go down that route, but on the surface it makes sense.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I keep thinking WOTC has something going with Gygax Games (or what's left of it). I don't have any hard evidence but with D&D5 going back to it's roots and the 1e reprint I can't help but wonder if something bigger is going on.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

BLOOP!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Dunno....with GHOST having been adamant against ebooks....

(Adamant is, of course, a super-powered ant with a Capt Video helmet.)
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Doing it through WOTC would be better than nothing, I guess. I realize we have no real evidence of any such deal, but I have wondered "what if" because of the 1e reprint deal. My preference would be with the Trolls, but at least the material could be converted. Maybe Jeffrey's hand would be on the Upper Works, and the town districts, but I'd fall over if they consulted him for anything else. Then again, there probably isn't any deal anyway. lol

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:Dunno....with GHOST having been adamant against ebooks....

(Adamant is, of course, a super-powered ant with a Capt Video helmet.)
Dagnabbit, I can't believe my phone changed Gygax to Ghost!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I have always hoped that Jim Ward would get involved, either with TLG or Gygax Games.

Jim, of course has intimate knowledge of Greyhawk Dungeons and Gary's running of same.

He would be the perfect writer (short of Rob K) of any Castle G or Castle Z dungeon material.

I think his Eldritch Enterprises company and team (heh, Tim, Frank and Chris) would be an excellent choice to bring the rest of Gary's dungeons to publishing fruition!!!

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Until such a day, I rejoice in the fact that so much of Blackmoor has been published, despite the many faults the final publications have.

Gary's Necropolis is nothing to be ashamed of either.

Some things were not meant for mortal beings, I suppose.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

I was curious after reading you guys writing about Castle Zagyg, so I went over to RPGNOW and saw that the Yggsburgh stuff I bought years ago is still in my Library. So just incase it wasn't supposed to be on there I down loaded them again. It was the East Mark and Store House district ( I think there is a couple more too), I am surprised they haven't taken them down.

IMP

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Don't jinx it, dude. :lol:

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Welcome to the boards! How about a quick intro? What's your connection to Castle Zagyg? Funny this should come up after so many years, but I was looking at my copy of The Outs Inn yesterday and noticed the prices for food/drink/rooms/etc were way inflated compared to standard C&C or even AD&D prices. I wonder what the thought was behind that?

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

maximus wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:17 pm
Welcome to the boards! How about a quick intro? What's your connection to Castle Zagyg? Funny this should come up after so many years, but I was looking at my copy of The Outs Inn yesterday and noticed the prices for food/drink/rooms/etc were way inflated compared to standard C&C or even AD&D prices. I wonder what the thought was behind that?
Bidenomics.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 pm
maximus wrote:
Bidenomics.
Lol!

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

maximus wrote:
My understanding is that the prices were originally put together for Lejendary Adventure and somehow never converted to AD&D/C&C.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:42 pm
maximus wrote:
My understanding is that the prices were originally put together for Lejendary Adventure and somehow never converted to AD&D/C&C.
That makes sense!

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Re: TLG's Castle Zagyg in PDF

Post by PeelSeel2 »