Best Weapon in the World..

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Best Weapon in the World..

Post by Captain_K »

Yep, I think this will start a lovely little discussion...

This broad topic should be viewed from at least two angles: 1) CnC official world best weapon in the PH and 2) Best historic weapon that should be or could have been in the CnC PH... aka a true historic weapon.. obviously you can support your view with as much data as you like... or just name one because you like it or its cool IYHO.

By the way - I hope your Winter Solstice was wondrous and your holiday time off permits much gaming and merry making - CHEERS!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

marroon69
Mist Elf

Re: Best Weapon in the World..

Post by marroon69 »

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

"Best" in what circumstances?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

From C&C -Gutentag 1d6+3 damage & I Love the history behind it

My favorite real world .... atl atl, or the good ole bastard sword (real world called the long sword)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

I'm going with the Turkish kilij sword, take a look on youtube for the Deadliest warrior ( I think it was Vlad vs Sun Tzu ). Its like having a normal sword with vorpal qualities.

http://youtu.be/ikVMXhcjbYc ( I think this should work )

Cheers
IMP

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Club.

It's free, everyone can use it, and it does 2-7 damage. Tie a thong to it and you have an Aclis. Though, then, you are only doing 1-4 damage for the price of getting it back each round.

The best weapon in the world is the one close at hand when you need it.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Beared axe for both.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. :)

Oh...official CnC weapon: Morningstar. Historic: Chinese Hook Sword
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Arduin, Looks like most folks are assuming hand to hand.. but you can specify...

I personally will choose, "a sharp mind", in all cases... OK, so stop your groaning... here would be my picks:
I like the simple club too, but historically, in gaming terms,for me personally, its got to be the long sword and dagger back up for hand to hand.
Convert that line of thought to distance weapons and its sling to match the club then for gaming for me it was always the Great Bow or Long Bow or Long Comp Bow depending on the game.. just love that image.
I guess that was it for me, image and character concept, not damage done (although calc was always in there), I liked having something to use in any situation (very boy scout - be prepared kind of thing) or just trudging on with what was at hand...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

In C&C, I'd say the bastard sword. 1d10 damage one-handed and 1d12 damage two-handed. It's ridiculously overpowered. My players love them. Why would anyone use a long sword when a bastard sword is available? God help me if I ever inject a magical bastard sword into my campaign.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Man-catcher -- it has reach / range and keeps the opponent from striking back, easily. But, I also like the sling because its free to use, generally. Oh, and rocks. Also, since it was listed in the earliest prints: fist. Who doesn't want to load up on fists?

Best weapon not in C&C.... two of them:

Hwacha for range.
Urumi (whip sword) for melee.

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Buttmonkey wrote:In C&C, I'd say the bastard sword. 1d10 damage one-handed and 1d12 damage two-handed. It's ridiculously overpowered. My players love them. Why would anyone use a long sword when a bastard sword is available? God help me if I ever inject a magical bastard sword into my campaign.
That's why I use the 1st ed rules for them, 1d8 one handed or 1d10 two handed. Much more balanced.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The only problem with the Hwacha is the EV value and reload time... do they have a one handed version for faster reload ;}

The Urumi video are cute, but against Arduin's Avatar I would think they tickle at most... Bastard swords I assume are heavy and expensive and take more training thus less common?? I agree they might be the weapon of choice.. I would also use that weapon as the Katana equivalent...

The Monk's "fist" with Greater Master Work Cestus are pretty darn impressive too... add some contact poison and they're simply vicious... what a Sith-ish surprise such a Monk can make in the game.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Captain_K wrote: I like the simple club too, but historically, in gaming terms,for me personally, its got to be the long sword and dagger back up for hand to hand.
Yes, that's what I'd go with. Plus one can always throw the dagger and so has a dual use weapon. Daggers can als be concealed...

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Oh yeah, the urumi is near useless against a medium-armored opponent. However, I still like the weapon. Stylistically. Plus, I think it would be fun to vorpalize it. Being a sword, and all. Even if its a whip.

I also like emei which I suppose can just be called daggers.

Most of the really cool weapons I like (or some of them anyway) I wrote up for "Beyond the CKG." Maybe someone has it readily available. I can't access stuff from work.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

ChaosImp wrote:I'm going with the Turkish kilij sword, take a look on youtube for the Deadliest warrior ( I think it was Vlad vs Sun Tzu ). Its like having a normal sword with vorpal qualities.

Cheers
IMP
WOW!
:o
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

ChaosImp wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:In C&C, I'd say the bastard sword. 1d10 damage one-handed and 1d12 damage two-handed. It's ridiculously overpowered. My players love them. Why would anyone use a long sword when a bastard sword is available? God help me if I ever inject a magical bastard sword into my campaign.
That's why I use the 1st ed rules for them, 1d8 one handed or 1d10 two handed. Much more balanced.
Same here

House Rules

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

About cutting the pig, was it the blade or the wielder (seemed tall but normal) or are pig carcasses easier to cut through than I think or is it some sort of trick like baking the phone book before tearing it in half???

I poked about and found this, two pigs being cut six ways to Sunday.. so I'm not sure that kilij is all that special.. check out the "Chinese war sword", the below link should get you there.. skip to the end for the pigs.. but you can tell they're having way too much fun with the thing in the rest of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQiaurIiDM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

ChaosImp wrote:I'm going with the Turkish kilij sword, take a look on youtube for the Deadliest warrior ( I think it was Vlad vs Sun Tzu ). Its like having a normal sword with vorpal qualities.

Cheers
IMP
:lol: That can be done with ANY good sword. That's why body armour was invented.

House Rules

DreamscapeDesign
Skobbit

Post by DreamscapeDesign »

I've always had a soft spot for the Ahlspieß: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6y9oXkjCo

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

AND the video ends with the Godentag - another crowd favorite in CnC!

Bellem
Skobbit

Post by Bellem »

The Art Institute in Chicago has several weapons where a flintlock is combined with the weapon. For example a sword that can also fire two shots, or a shield that has a short barrel in the boss to allow a single shot.