DB2 The Crater of Umeshti

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
Omote
Battle Stag

DB2 The Crater of Umeshti

Post by Omote »

DB2 The Crater of Umeshti is some kind of sick, awesomeness!

I just picked up my copy this morning and have read through it.
Initial impressions:

I love the layout to DB2 The Crater of Umeshti. The layout and the higher quality paper stock resemble TLG's recent Fish For Breakfast module for LA. I hope this is going to be TLG's new format as this will showoff the goodness that is C&C.

The perfect follow-up to the DB1 Haunted Highlands module in scope, but characters going into the Crater of Umeshti directly from the DB1 module will need a few extra levels of experience. The Crater would be very difficult for 1-3rd level adventurers.

The description, introduction, history and adventure hooks are perfect and fill out the Haunted Highlands setting quite nicely (although, obviosuly from the contents of DB2, there is a lot more to go!).

The first few levels of the Crater itself are small, but very well detailed and fully fleshed out. Every encounter is described with C&C's small stat blocks, and this in no way takes away from the module itself. Every encounter fully detailed is very welcome.

There is some nice new Peter Bradley art pieces in here (3 new B&W, plus the color cover and 3 maps). The half-page piece on page 8 is particularly nice and, as always, features Peter's talent of the female warrior form being beset upon by a mob of kobolds. The B&W artowrk is really good and as usual for his work, harkens back to the good ole' days of module presentation.
DB2 is more then just a module, it's a whole mini sourcebook! DB2 includes new spells (which will go into my C&C games RIGHT AWAY ~ oldies, but goodies), new magic items and a slew of monsters (especially new kobold baddies, one even with the name "Ginormous!").

Overall, DB2 The Crater of Umeshti is a good module, epeically when coupled with the previous DB1 release. DB2 learns from the slight mistakes of the earlier module attempts by use of better layout, more information within the 24 pages and high quality paper. DB2 The Crater of Umeshti is worth the price of admission.
Discussion and reviews for DB1 Haunted Highlands can be found here:
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Thanks for he kind summary Omote. Glad you like it. DB3 should be right around the corner and expands the crater with another 4 levels!

Case

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have yet to buy DB2, but DB1 proved that it is "my kind of setting for adventure". In fact my kids rolled up some first levels to start in the Highlands campaign today.

The only thing I am going to change is the "kill zone" around the palisade. 100 feet is not enough for bows. Unless the perimeter was left that close so Handle could trash bowmen and such with Entangles and summoned swarms. Otherwise, cover that close, with bowmen and a decent supply of arrows would not go well for Dirty Bowbe's.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Bowbe wrote:
DB3 should be right around the corner and expands the crater with another 4 levels!

This link here in the UPCOMING section states that DB3 coming out in "March." I will playfully assume that means March 2007.
...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Sounds good, this is on my list of things to pick up, as soon as my wallet recovers from the holidays.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

DB2 is on my list. I have decided where the Highlanda are going in my world and am looking forward to an adventure to go with them. Lesse with The Haunted Highlands, Yggsburgh and Airdhe (coming) C&C fans will have alot to do this coming year!

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

My copy came into my game store. I would have picked it up, but it was blank! Well, all but the first and last pages were blank. So, I'll have to wait a few days until another one comes in.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Dristram wrote:
My copy came into my game store. I would have picked it up, but it was blank! Well, all but the first and last pages were blank. So, I'll have to wait a few days until another one comes in.

*snorts* Now I know what Steve meant by 'printer error'.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Doh'!

Case

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Was this a fluke or is this an extensive issue?

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I just picked up Crater of Umeshti at the FLGS last night, and it doesn't appear to have any printing issues...

A quick glance is all the time I've had to give it, and like Omote, I'm very happy to see new monsters, spells, and a magic item.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

just ordered this mod from rpgshop.com. Also stocked up on some other goodies by our friend Casey - Haunted Highlands and Tower of Jhedophar.

Looking forward to them all!

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

I noticed that this module isn't available in pdf yet (at least not at DrivethruRPG or RPGnow).

Will it be released in pdf? If so, when?

Thanks.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I just picked this up at my FLGS (on sale for 20% off ). Looks good at first glance. I have yet to find time to sit down and give it a good read.

Bowbe
Red Cap

PDF

Post by Bowbe »

I'm guessing whenever Steve-o gets back from Lake Geneva he will be getting it to PDF.

Case

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

man, those folks at rpgshop pissed me off. I made a spontaneous and irrational decision to buy a bunch o' modules (and two cool dice), including two NG things on sale. Ten days later (yup) I get a package with half of the modules and only one of the dice. The shipping form obliquely reveals that they were Out of Stock of both NG sale items AND the Crater of Umeshti, and another mod. Couldn't let me know that when I ordered, eh? Why'd they let me order the suckers if they didn't have 'em? As for the missing dice, they just dropped the two dice in the mailer, which naturally developed a seam where the hard plastic corners rubbed against it (yup, no interior packaging for the dice), and - presto! - one of the dice is missing in transit.

Not a very happy experience.

I know, you may be thinking - why doesn't he just shut up and re-order from TLG or NK or something. Thing is, I was breaking budget as it is and Mrs. Geleg was not pleased. Now I'll have to wait a while until the budget is repaired before I can see what Bowbe has been up to .....

sorry to rant,

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Sorry about your crappity experience. I may have to eat those guys's liver's too. Or let you borrow my hammer to smite the shit out of them.

Once upon a time there was such a thing as GOOD customer service. Sadly that all went by the wayside somewhere in the last 10-15 years, and now nobody seems to care about doing a good job. I think this attitude is going to bite a lot of people right in the butt before too long but I feel your pain dude.

I ran into a deal at a rib joint I like(d) to go to where about 2 times in a row I got sorta crap service and sorta cold food. I complained both times and they fixed it. Third time I go in (couple months later) they "forget" to tell us that there is no Mac and Cheese for my kid. Forgot for about 40 minutes.

I got the manager, and luckily this guy DID care about his job and his business' reputation. I was calm and cool, told him abot my varied (mostly good) history eating at the chain over the last 8 years. He Comp'ed our lunch and hooked me up with $25 in gift certificates. The next time I was there... we got excellent service and enjoyed the free eats. Turns out he was the district manager of the chain and he made damned sure that the current management knew how to run the ship.

Case

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

RPGShop.... eyuck. I feel your pain brother-man. Craptacular, indeed.

Get you some Umeshti!

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

I'll sneak it by Mrs Geleg one of these days. Probably package it in with some work stuff. He he.

Gotta get it soon, since the lure is in me hard - I just read Haunted Highlands and loved it!

[BTW, kudos to Bowbe for Jhedophar as well. I'm digging it a lot, even though I'm not sure when if ever I'll run it. One thing - tell your cartographer to put scale and a key on the labyrinth map next time ...]

Geleg

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just got my copy and after a very quick look through, it looks effing sweet. Great job Casey!

However, I have a question: Is there supposed to be maps in the insides of the covers? My copy doesn't seem to have any.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Rigon wrote:
I just got my copy and after a very quick look through, it looks effing sweet. Great job Casey!

However, I have a question: Is there supposed to be maps in the insides of the covers? My copy doesn't seem to have any.

R-

All the maps for this module ought to be in with the text.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

I use FRP Games. They have always been great and have great customer service whenever I ask them to add something to their selection. Never had a problem with them in 2 years of doing business.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

gideon_thorne wrote:
All the maps for this module ought to be in with the text.

Thanks Peter.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Weel, I just read this puppy, cover to cover, today. I must say, it's one hell of a module. I know I'd hate to be a PC trying to make it through the Sinkhole.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Well then Rigon, you run it and all play it. As a PC, I would love the plumb the depths of another good crawl. Bring it on!

Yeah, Crater of Umeshti is bound to go down as one of those classic dungeons, espeically when Deeper Darkness comes out.

................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Thanks for the kind words Omote.

After Deeper Darkness will come Dwellers of the Darkness which focuses on the Undercity of Ulgakur, the ogre mound, and some other cool locations that branch off from this level of the crater that are mentioned in DB 2 and DB 3 with previous adventure hooks fulfilled and new hooks for deeper delvers to follow up on in future descents.

Case

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

I can't wait!!!!! This is by far my favorite series of modules since I went through Night Below. Write faster, Bowbe, darn it!!!!

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Omote wrote:
Well then Rigon, you run it and all play it. As a PC, I would love the plumb the depths of another good crawl. Bring it on!

Are yu sure you want to mess with a CK?
Quote:
Yeah, Crater of Umeshti is bound to go down as one of those classic dungeons, espeically when Deeper Darkness comes out.

................................................Omote

FPQ

Amen brother, amen!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Rigon wrote:
Are yu sure you want to mess with a CK?

Yeeeaaah. Just maybe I do... don't hit me.

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Omote wrote:
Yeeeaaah. Just maybe I do... don't hit me.

FPQ

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads