Big Aihrde Question-- sell me on the setting...

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Big Aihrde Question-- sell me on the setting...

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, anyone who follows me, knows that I have been debating a change for a long time. I have been using the Wilderlands as my go-to setting for decades. I feel I need a change of pace and need to stretch and do some of my own stuff. I have everything Aihrde, but have not yet pulled the trigger.

I do not like that some of Aihrde if detailed like the Darkenfold or Blacktooth Ridge. The rest of the maps are barren and void of names and places. I know that is where Steve, Todd and the other trolls have played, but I would prefer the detail reside in modules. Anyway, I am not sure I can live without all those hexes.

I have ideas to fill it with but feel overwhelmed by some of the emptiness.

Sell me on this setting.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Big Aihrde Question-- sell me on the setting...

Post by Treebore »

All I can say is read it. It will either get your creative juices going or it won't. If it does, use it, if it doesn't, look for something else. There area a few settings I have used, and more I'd like to use, and the commonality between all of them for me is that they got my creativity kicked into high gear. For me, Aihrde has been one of them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tree has it right. Read the setting and if ideas are jumping out at you, go with it. I know every time I read the setting material for Aihrde, I have ideas and hooks flowing through my head. But, like you, the big blank canvas of the place is kind of scary. I come from primarily FR and DL, so I'm used to fairly detailed info for settings. Aihrde is so wide opened, I don't know where to start if I were to run a campaign there (which I hope to some day). But the idea seeds are there. Someday...

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Snoring Rock wrote:I feel I need a change of pace and need to stretch and do some of my own stuff.
Wait. What? If you feel a need to do your own stuff, why are you looking for a different published campaign setting? Just make up your own world and run with it.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

What I mean is that Aihrde is a bit more empty and I can fill in some myself. Shape it more. I am not sure I ha the time for a complete world of my own. But then again....

I tend to get bogged down with details. Having some of it done for me helps. I assume you have a fantastic world of your own!

For the most part, I pick a setting and then plug other pubished cities in or draw up my own, including adventures. I do have an itch to create but sometimes I second guess myself too much.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I am looking at starting a campaign using Aihrde over in the Blacktooth Ridge. I do not see a population for Ludensheim. It is a big town/small city. I was considerig using Bards Gate as a stand in but that seems too large. The bridge thing is there and it fits in most respects. I have Kalas and that is on a river and walled.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Snoring Rock wrote:What I mean is that Aihrde is a bit more empty and I can fill in some myself. Shape it more. I am not sure I ha the time for a complete world of my own. But then again....
And that is how Steve has always said Aihrde was to be used. Take the framework and make it your own. Even with the campaign info presented in the modules, it is still fairly sparse, as those only cover 2 areas. Aihrde is a big place, so there is a lot of places to start from that have nothing more than a place name and maybe a line or 2 in the Codex. Plus the new maps are supposed to have more detail (names and such), but not any more info.
Snoring Rock wrote:I tend to get bogged down with details. Having some of it done for me helps. I assume you have a fantastic world of your own!
That's why I tend to use pre-made settings. I like a setting that I can fiddle with on a small scale, while having the large scale stuff already finished.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Snoring Rock wrote:I am lookng at starting a cmpaign usig Aihrde over in the Blacktooth Ridge. I do not see a population for Ludensheim. It is a big town/small city. I was considerig using Bards gate as a stand in but tht seems too large. The bridge thing is there and it fits in most respects. I have Kalas and the is on a river and walled.
I don't have my materials here to look it up, but I want to say is int's so much a city as a large-ish town. I don't have Kalas, so don't know if they are comparable, but I would think you should be able to fit it in.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Snoring Rock wrote:I assume you have a fantastic world of your own!
Not really. The party is operating out of the City of Rotter. To the north is farmland, then some woods, then some mountains. On the other side of the mountains are lands controlled by humanoids. Rotter is a coastal city, so everything to the visible south is water. I have no idea what is to the west other than a river the party came down to get to the city. There is a large river bisecting the city (I haven't figured out what the party would find if they travel north on the river yet since the party hasn't tried it). The party recently travelled east for about a week to reach a dungeon site. The Village of Bugwump is on the coast there with the dungeon about a 4 hour march away to the north. The lands far to the east are in turmoil as various uber-powered NPCs fight over it.

That is the sum total of my campaign world. I've developed a few NPCs in Rotter. The mayor is an insane beholder an earlier party encountered in the woods (although the party has no idea the mayor is a monster). There are multiple crime families fighting over turf in the city. The party knows the head of one of the families (Vincent Gambini). A giant sunflower (named Leroy, but calls himself The Master) is in charge of the Rotter Grounds Department. There is a giant sentient tree in the woods north of Rotter. There is a BBEG named Baron Wasteland in town. The party is renting a house from Mr. Firley. And the party typically hangs out at a tavern called the Filthy Unicorn.

We've been playing for a year based on that and most of it was developed on the fly along the way based on what the party chose to do. It really doesn't take much. If you truly enjoy slogging your way through a published campaign setting, have at it. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you're like me and trying to read through even the Aihrde folio feels like doing homework, you can create a successful campaign setting with a hell of a lot less effort.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Snoring Rock wrote:I am lookng at starting a cmpaign usig Aihrde over in the Blacktooth Ridge. I do not see a population for Ludensheim. It is a big town/small city. I was considerig using Bards gate as a stand in but tht seems too large. The bridge thing is there and it fits in most respects. I have Kalas and the is on a river and walled.
"Ludensheim: This is the northernmost town in this region of New Aenoch. It has a population of 2000 and is ruled by the Baron Dietbold Heimer."

The town is detailed in A4 - Usurpers of the Fell Axe.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I have the Umbrage Saga but could not find the population listed.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Snoring Rock wrote:I have the Umbrage Saga but could not find the population listed.
Page 23 in my copy.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ug, my A4 starts on page 122. What section?

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Snoring Rock wrote:Ug, my A4 starts on page 122. What section?
A0 - Rising Knight. Notes section just under "MALFORTEN TO BOTKINBURG MAP."

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ah. Thanks!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ludensheim has transformed a lot in my campaign. For a couple of examples, it is now ruled by a Baroness, and is very well defended. Yes, the new Baroness is a PC, from a campaign that went up to 17th level.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Rrrr...

Trollisms! On the original campaign map are the cities of Ascalon (capitol), Vilshofen; both marked with city markers. Then Heinstadt, Barachia, Dundador and Aesperdi are named but not marked, telling me they are smaller in size. In the updated map, the same cities appear along with 7 others including Botkinburg (pop. 300) and Ludensheim (pop. 2,000). So then I assume populations over 300 are marked on the map.

I turn to The Umbrage Saga for details and find Elmast not on the large map, with a population of 1,000 and then Hrueset with a population of 4,000. That is a city both larger than Ludenshem and Botkinburg. Then of course the old codex listes 3 different duchies than what are in the new codex PDF and the city of Trier has completely disappeared.

So about the time I get sold on the setting, I start finding trollisms. So what on earth will the new map in the kickstarter have on it? This is why I have a hard time getting into Aihrde. I am not looking for this stuff, just organizing it and getting populations set up and areas detailed for the game and then they show up.

I have a hard time ignoring this new city, larger than Ludensheim just a few hundred miles from it. Or wait, the big map scales shows they are about 30 miles apart. The module map shows 140 miles to Botkinburg and 180 miles to Ludensheim. Is it 30 or 180? :x

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Medieval-era map making. It was never accurate or consistent.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ha... That works...

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If the Trollisms are insurmountable, I don't think anyone is going to be able to talk you into it.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I have decided to chalk that up to fabled cities that really have only 400, not 4,000 living there. You make it what you want. I am finishing up a Wilderlands City State campaign and thn starting in Aihrde. I will not let Trollisms stop me from enjoying the investment I have already made. 8-)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Any time you find a Trollism just do what I do, make it make sense for your game. If you think the Trolls are bad, try to go back and run Tegal Manor. Now THAT is full of "Trollisms"!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Oooh Treebore, you do not play nice. I agree, there were a lot of trollisms in that work of art. But the trollisms in there are missing bits and typos, not easily fixed with an old Corona typewriter. Not pretty but for the time, it was ok. It did help make the TSR production quality look all the better when they started publishing adventures. However, to JG's credit, the story, populations and names did not rotate and change like they have in Aihrde.

I will say this; TLG, had it been up against JG in the day, side by side on the shelf, TLG production values are much higher and they would have out-sold JG. There were some real gems, but you have to get past some of the other stuff.

I can get past this particular set of trollisms this time. You know I am a JG fanboy, so you had to hit where it hurt most!

Trollzah!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Snoring Rock wrote:Oooh Treebore, you do not play nice. I agree, there were a lot of trollisms in that work of art. But the trollisms in there are missing bits and typos, not easily fixed with an old Corona typewriter. Not pretty but for the time, it was ok. It did help make the TSR production quality look all the better when they started publishing adventures. However, to JG's credit, the story, populations and names did not rotate and change like they have in Aihrde.

I will say this; TLG, had it been up against JG in the day, side by side on the shelf, TLG production values are much higher and they would have out-sold JG. There were some real gems, but you have to get past some of the other stuff.

I can get past this particular set of trollisms this time. You know I am a JG fanboy, so you had to hit where it hurt most!

Trollzah!
Well, I am currently running Tegal Manor in the Wilderlands, so I'm a fan boy too.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great posts from everyone!

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that you are going for it, Snoring Rock.

This is a fantastic campaign world!

The Codex has boatload of info . . mebbe too much for players, but the perfect amount for CKs.

The Aihrde modules have just the right amount of history/lore/info for players, IMO.

I'm a HUGE fan of Greyhawk in so many ways, and I think the Trolls hit it BIG in the same way with Aihrde!

As mentioned in your other thread . . re: Umbrage Saga :arrow: go with the Aihrde lore as presented in the modules. Then, if your players are interested in more, they can research - in game - and you can then get back to them about specific info (as you read it - and as it would be presented in the game).

:)

Otherwise, don't worry about the overabundance of info in the modules. As mentioned in that other thread. Ignore all that you wish and only add that which you deem important in your running of the game!

Best,

Rhu. :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Dwarves with the Brass Rings, the Goblyns, the inner world of Inzae, the Goblyns, Unklar, the Sentients, the Goblyns, the Runemarks and their bits of the words of creation and the A series was what really got me into Erde, now called Aihrde.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Without Aihrde, there would be no C&C.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I've owned all of the Aihrde modules since each of them were released for C&C. I have gm'd A0-A3, and have read the others. Also, I have taken groups through (in this order) Lure of Delusion, Wizard's Tower (sort of ties in-a 1.00 pdf by Stephen Chenault). From there, my players travelled east to Rhodope Mountains to play through Dwarven Glory (The Looking Stone, Wyrm Well, and The Winding Stair). They moved over to the Darkenfold. We just finished Mortality of Green, and have barely scratched the surface of Shades of Mist. After that, it'll be Upon the Powder River, as well as the pdf of C4 (the name escapes me). I think C5 will come soon after, and I'm hoping there'll be more before we finish those. I need to ask Stephen how many more modules will be apart of the C series. I don't want to have spend time fleshing out the Darkenfold or have to move on, then come back when new material is made available.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Treebore wrote:The Dwarves with the Brass Rings, the Goblyns, the inner world of Inzae, the Goblyns, Unklar, the Sentients, the Goblyns, the Runemarks and their bits of the words of creation and the A series was what really got me into Erde, now called Aihrde.
Wher is information found on these rings of brass?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

They are mentioned in the Codex several times, but there is no definite game information about them. They are basically pathways through the fabric of the cosmos.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads