Big Aihrde Question-- sell me on the setting...

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Big Aihrde Question-- sell me on the setting...

Post by Buttmonkey »

Snoring Rock wrote:
Treebore wrote:The Dwarves with the Brass Rings, the Goblyns, the inner world of Inzae, the Goblyns, Unklar, the Sentients, the Goblyns, the Runemarks and their bits of the words of creation and the A series was what really got me into Erde, now called Aihrde.
Wher is information found on these rings of brass?
There is also info in the After Winter's Dark folio.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:They are mentioned in the Codex several times, but there is no definite game information about them. They are basically pathways through the fabric of the cosmos.

R-
They are more than that. Why would I give it away? Read the setting, find the info, and everything else you read getting there will help you either like the setting even more, or decide against using it. If you have the newest Aihrde Beta PDF, read the creation history.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I predict Unklar will return from the void in A13 ~ via The Rings of Brass! ;)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:I predict Unklar will return from the void in A13 ~ via The Rings of Brass! ;)

Well, that is essentially how he arrived the first time, thanks to a certain Goblyn, so why not a second time?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:I predict Unklar will return from the void in A13 ~ via The Rings of Brass! ;)

Well, that is essentially how he arrived the first time, thanks to a certain Goblyn, so why not a second time?
Yep . .

and Aristobolus will also return. He among many others will be needed in the final battle!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Rigon wrote:
Snoring Rock wrote:What I mean is that Aihrde is a bit more empty and I can fill in some myself. Shape it more. I am not sure I ha the time for a complete world of my own. But then again....
And that is how Steve has always said Aihrde was to be used. Take the framework and make it your own. Even with the campaign info presented in the modules, it is still fairly sparse, as those only cover 2 areas. Aihrde is a big place, so there is a lot of places to start from that have nothing more than a place name and maybe a line or 2 in the Codex. Plus the new maps are supposed to have more detail (names and such), but not any more info.
Snoring Rock wrote:I tend to get bogged down with details. Having some of it done for me helps. I assume you have a fantastic world of your own!
That's why I tend to use pre-made settings. I like a setting that I can fiddle with on a small scale, while having the large scale stuff already finished.

R-
Just like another setting that was a framework that you made your own. TWoG of course...

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm lazy. I like a good pre-made setting overall. Aihrde pretty much does it for me. Combine the two S series mods (in Aihrde) with the C series. There's also the A series. Plenty there, not to mention Heart of Glass, and a few others. Keep em' coming. The less work I have to do, the better.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If you place your adventures anywhere but the Darkenfold, Sea Towns of Ihlsa, or the Blacktooth Ridge area you are insulated from any contradictions. If you place them outside the Cradle of the World you are in pristine territory. If you place it outside the Lands of Ursal you can put anything there (but won't get any Codex guidance).
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

My style of play is old school as in, hex crawling. Maps of every city, village, etc. I have younger players and they get back to a city and they go crazy with, I buy this and that and, where is the magic item store?

They could care less about streets, shops, where they are, none of that. But I cannot be upset with that, after all, they have treasure and want to spend it. Town is home and not a place of adventure. Well, not always. I am learning that I need to detail some shops, a few taverns, and the like, but unless there is some need for tactics, who really cares what street it is or where exactly?

Aihrde may help me there. Just having a few populations gives me an idea of what's available. I can get to what the players want and need, and not get bogged down with details. Aside from a few published cities, none actually located in Aihrde, TLG has been good about not adding that. This could liberate me.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

For creating or just having unique establishments the following two product lines have been my favorites:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse/pu ... Publishing

Scroll down to the City Books:

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/catalyst.htm

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I can bet that if you just have the item available listed and a few detailed establishments, you are good to go. The rest would just be fly over territory anyway.

Played right, you could speed things up without seeming to just have a general store out there. This is a paradigm shift for me. It appears I would be better off with pictures to set the mood and give the feel of the city rather than detailed maps and endless details about shop-keeps and their families. I must admit, I get lost looking for things in cities sometimes. I love the big maps though. But in the end the players do not care. Unless of course, the campaign is set in some intrigue in the city. Eve then, you can come up with just the details you need.

Who really wants to search the city anyway? Get me to my favorite tavern or to the armorer, or better yet the alchemist!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Snoring Rock wrote:I can bet that if you just have the item available listed and a few detailed establishments, you are good to go. The rest would just be fly over territory anyway.

Played right, you could speed things up without seeming to just have a general store out there. This is a paradigm shift for me. It appears I would be better off with pictures to set the mood and give the feel of the city rather than detailed maps and endless details about shop-keeps and their families. I must admit, I get lost looking for things in cities sometimes. I love the big maps though. But in the end the players do not care. Unless of course, the campaign is set in some intrigue in the city. Eve then, you can come up with just the details you need.

Who really wants to search the city anyway? Get me to my favorite tavern or to the armorer, or better yet the alchemist!
Well, that is why I use the above products, it teaches my players that such places can lead to adventure, or just be plain "cool".

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:For creating or just having unique establishments the following two product lines have been my favorites:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse/pu ... Publishing

Scroll down to the City Books:

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/catalyst.htm

Butcher baker, candlestick maker ... boy that brings back memories!!!!! Those were some good books that I idea mined extensively. I wonder if I still have copies some where ....
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Personally, I think Botkinburg from Assault is thee perfect city to have as a home base for any C&C adventure until players start to reach upper levels. And then it's either Ascalon or Yggsburgh!

Enjoy! :D

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

OK, I love Blacktooth Ridge, and own all of the material. I am pacing by the mail box waiting for the new Codex of Aihrde. However, I want to start in Kayomar. That feudal kingdom calls to me. I have detailed the kingdom, leaders, towns, population and even plugged in modules and my own adventures. I am using the Necro--Bard's Gate as Du Guesillon.

I have started detailing maps of my own using hex grid paper. I am finally getting into this cool setting!

Anyone going to GenCon: I will be running my first adventure I wrote for this campaign (Tower of Bondage). So look for it! My games fill up fast. I will also run it off grid, as well as Tegel Manor--a fan fave.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yep, that is what I find it takes for me to really get into a setting, start breaking it down and making it over into my own "vision" by changing and deleting and adding what I like. Most of which gets done by what my players do while I use the setting. I just put down a bare bones kind of outline, then fill things in as the players interact with what is there.

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Treebore wrote:Yep, that is what I find it takes for me to really get into a setting, start breaking it down and making it over into my own "vision" by changing and deleting and adding what I like. Most of which gets done by what my players do while I use the setting. I just put down a bare bones kind of outline, then fill things in as the players interact with what is there.
The great thing about doing it that way is that the setting not only comes alive for you, but for the players as well because as you share your vision it grows for them. The interaction shifts a setting from facts to emotions and thus brings it to life. When it works it can be so satisfying. :D

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Post by MadCartographer »

OR

You could try my new setting, it is only maps... I am working on a PDF detailing my world of Lerchanth.

http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/9059/MadCartographer

EDIT: My world currently is "Blank". It's only maps, users need to "fill in the blanks" as it were. I do plan on "filling in" my world with "stuff", but I'm not there yet. Working on the "Overall Info" of my world right now.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

MadCartographer wrote:OR

You could try my new setting, it is only maps... I am working on a PDF detailing my world of Lerchanth.

EDIT: My world currently is "Blank". It's only maps, users need to "fill in the blanks" as it were. I do plan on "filling in" my world with "stuff", but I'm not there yet. Working on the "Overall Info" of my world right now.
Hmmm... I've seen a couple of your maps shared to a mapping community or two on G+, plus its hard to argue with "FREE".

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Treebore wrote:

Hmmm... I've seen a couple of your maps shared to a mapping community or two on G+, plus its hard to argue with "FREE".

FREE is the magic word!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

MadCartographer wrote:
Treebore wrote:

FREE is the magic word!
Busted link.

I'll argue with free - no offense madcart, but your maps are hard to see when I've tried to look at them.

Anyway, I'd say that trying to hawk your stuff in this thread is a fail. The Trolls have a tremendous campaign world with some of the most fantastic maps on par with, mebbe even better Greyhawk.

:)

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rhuvein wrote:
I'll argue with free - no offense madcart, but your maps are hard to see when I've tried to look at them.

Anyway, I'd say that trying to hawk your stuff in this thread is a fail. The Trolls have a tremendous campaign world with some of the most fantastic maps on par with, mebbe even better Greyhawk.

I have to agree with Rhuvein, shilling your stuff in this manner is in bad taste.

Aihrde is a great setting!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Not only is the link dead, you can't find any of his maps under his publisher name.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

I have to agree with Rhuvein, shilling your stuff in this manner is in bad taste.

Well, if you read this thread, not everyone falls in love with Aihrde, so offering possible alternatives isn't exactly out of line.

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Treebore wrote:Not only is the link dead, you can't find any of his maps under his publisher name.
I removed all my files from RPGNow, I now only offer them on my FB site. For reasons I wont go into.

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Treebore wrote:
Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

Well, if you read this thread, not everyone falls in love with Aihrde, so offering possible alternatives isn't exactly out of line.

Exactly why I did offer in the 1st p lace.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

MadCartographer wrote:
Treebore wrote:Not only is the link dead, you can't find any of his maps under his publisher name.
I removed all my files from RPGNow, I now only offer them on my FB site. For reasons I wont go into.
I'm not on FB, so can you provide a direct link?

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Treebore wrote:
MadCartographer wrote:
I'm not on FB, so can you provide a direct link?

https://www.facebook.com/TheMadCartographersCartography

enjoy!