Dreams of Gelderland

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Omote
Battle Stag

Dreams of Gelderland

Post by Omote »

I've been thinking a lot about the Gelderland, the Land of the Ulgars and the ancient secrets which lie within forgotten valleys and lost cathedrals.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Drygur
Mist Elf

Re: Dreams of Gelderland

Post by Drygur »

And where have your thoughts taken you to :?:
Drygur - Minstrel Lord of The Dungeon Singers, Margrave of The Castles & Crusades Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have been thinking about the types of adventures that could lie within. Sure, there could be the typical lost/ruined city or dungeon thing (which the Gelderland would be ripe for doing based on it's history and what little info was given to use in the Codex and the Folio). However, my thoughts to make the Gelderland a really different type of adventure lie with the Ulgars. Instead of making these Orcs the typical PC killing dummies, I would like to make this indiginous race more like some historical peoples. Perhaps base the Ulgars on the Vandals, or the middle-age hungarian peoples. Or, maybe these orcs have developed a more tangible society, but they are based on more barbaric humans, not unlike the Dothraki of the Song of Ice and Fire novels. I'm not quite sure yet. But I see the Ulgars as not your average, everyday fantasy Orc steroetype.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Perhaps the Ulgars guard the ruins and ancient cathedrals of the Gelderland like some of the the modern day Ethiopian tribesmen who keep many of the ancient Christian churches hidden/kept safe from outsiders.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Omote wrote:Perhaps the Ulgars guard the ruins and ancient cathedrals of the Gelderland like some of the the modern day Ethiopian tribesmen who keep many of the ancient Christian churches hidden/kept safe from outsiders.

~O

Nice, I like that idea. However, why would they be hiding the sites? If they are guarding the ancient cities then they may not actually be "evil". If you do make them evil you'll have to be careful about letting them slip into the standard Orc

I agree with you on making the Ulgars less like the "normal" Orc. I have pictured them more like a Hun (but less reliance on horsemanship) but one barbarian tribe is as good as an other in this since.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Now that I actually own the print copies of Aihrde, my thoughts drift back to the Gelderland and the Ulgars. Why would the Ulgars be protecting the ancient sites found there? I'm not sure. However, I'm wondering whether or not the "cathedrals" mentioned in the Codex of Erde are actually ruined structures. Perhaps, these cathedrals are natural formations in the landscape, perhaps lost in valley's and ravines. -OR-, perhaps these cathedrals are actual ancient buildings carved right into the cliff face of these valleys and ravines - sort of like Petra or like the Etheopian underground churches... http://www.google.com/search?q=ethiopia ... d=0CEEQsAQ

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote, I'm sure you're aware that the cities and adventures in Lion in the Ropes are in The Gelderland.

Might be some stuff in that module to spark some thoughts or ideas.

Great, fun module, IMO. My group really enjoyed it.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

No Rhu, I did not know that. I have the d20 version of the module but have never read it. It's time to open her up! Thanks man.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

With the upcoming onslaught of Aihdre material, I've been revisiting this, my favorite part of Aihdre. I have downloaded the updated version of Lion in Ropes (that Rhu brought to the fore earlier in this discussion) only to be saddened by the fact that this cool module has been relocated to the Hanse City States! WTF with that Troll Guys? Is there any other modules or parts of Rune Lore that have its place in this dark forest of times old?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Ooooh, where is that download of Lion? Didn't see it on their main web. Is it part of a kick?

Tanks,

R. :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

You DO know that Gelderland literally means Land of castration? :o
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Here's the original C&C versions of Lion in the Ropes:
http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cclion.pdf

Here's the latest update to the Lion in the Ropes adventure that was retooled to fit with the release of the Rune Lore book:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/101009/Ca ... rers_id=86

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Arduin wrote:You DO know that Gelderland literally means Land of castration? :o
Well, scratch my Netherlands trip then!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I used to live in Guilderland, does that count for anything?
:D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sure does. It gets you two free drink chits at the local Ulgers gathering in Orgstall.

If you use these chits, you may want to bring your faith and a big duckling sword.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

yes, have some.

In other words, that's all over my head. LOL
Bill D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Relaxo wrote:yes, have some.
Reference of the day award.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

10 points to Omote!
Bill D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Is Gelderland supposed to be a backwoods, backwater, sort of undeveloped land? By the descriptions set for in the Codex of Aihrde, it seems to be an accurate description of the area. But, what I'm thinking is that the author intends for the Gelderland to be place that holds some geographical stigma, much like America's West Virginia, Mississippi, or even Arkansas. There is not a lot of development in the country, perhaps due to the indigenous populations' lack of commitment to progress with the rest of the world. Take this from the perspective of Aihdre, the Gelderland orcs of Orgstall still seem to hold on to the beliefs that the world can still be run by Aufstrag; the world can still go back to that sort of time, where things weren't so dominated by the forward momentum of progress (technology, magic, other worldly religions like Ore-Tsar.

Is the Gelderland backwards?

~O
VAE VICTUS!