What are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:Besides reading Cadfael, I'm working my way through the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques.

Currently enjoying, Rakkety Tam! I believe it's the 17th book in the series.

I never read Redwall. How is it.

Like I've said Tolkien was my intro into the love of fantasy. However, I'm not sure having my little girls jump into the deep end right out of the gate is best. Redwall may be a good intro for them - maybe a year or 2 from now.

Rhuvein wrote:Re-reading, Dune!

It's simply a brilliant sci-fi novel ~ probably the best ever written.

:P
Rgr that
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Besides reading Cadfael, I'm working my way through the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques.

Currently enjoying, Rakkety Tam! I believe it's the 17th book in the series.

I never read Redwall. How is it.

Like I've said Tolkien was my intro into the love of fantasy. However, I'm not sure having my little girls jump into the deep end right out of the gate is best. Redwall may be a good intro for them - maybe a year or 2 from now.
The books are excellent and fun to read for any age. Jacques is a great story teller. I'd recommend them over The Hobbit for younger readers.

TLG's Havester by Deogulf (John) is an RPG that could be used for a Redwall adventurer.

Go here to see a famous U.S. President buying Redwall books:

http://www.redwallabbey.com/

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:

The books are excellent and fun to read for any age. Jacques is a great story teller. I'd recommend them over The Hobbit for younger readers.

TLG's Havester by Deogulf (John) is an RPG that could be used for a Redwall adventurer.

Go here to see a famous U.S. President buying Redwall books:

http://www.redwallabbey.com/

8-)
Thanks, that is what I was wondering. I figure 1st & 2nd grade may still be a little to young to read them (their reading skills not the fault of the books or story) But once they can easily handle chapter books I'll get them the books

Oh 1 step ahead of you on Harvester. I already have each of them a copy.

As for the president ... I won't hold it against the books who buys them ... :)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just finished up:

1. Sooner Dead by Mel Odom (Gamma World Novel - Audio Book)
2. The Temple of Elemental Evil by Thomas M. Reid (Greyhawk Adventures - Audio Book)

Now reading(Listening)

1. On the Path of the Immortals by Tom Horn and Chris Putnum
2. Parenting Isn't For Cowards by James Dobson
3. Another Fine Myth by Robert Aspin
4. Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and why People Follow by Tom Rath
5. The Cerulean Storm (Prism-Pentad book 5) by Troy Denning (Dark Sun Novel)
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Read the Warhammer Omnibus 1 for Gortek and Felix, so now need to start reading Omnibus #2.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Gamma World audio book? Is WOTC putting out books for the setting?

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Currently tackling Walter Jon Williams’ Metropolitan. I thought Hardwired and Voice of the Whirlwind were amazing, but this book isn’t quite doing it for me. The urban fantasy world-building is great, but the plot seems to drift lazily, lacking the tautness of the previous works.

Before that it was The Throne of the Crescent Moon, which was quite good.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

tylermo wrote:Gamma World audio book? Is WOTC putting out books for the setting?
Nothing new that I've seen, just from what they put out a few years ago with Gamma World 4th Edition. There are only 2 audio-books in the series:

1. Sooner Dead: Dungeons & Dragons: Gamma World, Book 1 by Mel Odom
2. Red Sails in the Fallout: Dungeons & Dragons: Gamma World, Book 2 by Paul Kidd

The books reflect the multi-dimensional/time that is the storyline for 4e. I've only listened to Sooner Dead. It started out a bit slow, but then got into it while working on my miniatures. Have a few other books to listen to, before I'll consider getting Red Sails.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I was given the fun job of going through a box of old books to make sure they are ok for the cadets. Most were no problem, but one ... "Brave New World" ... I remembered reading it from years ago, but I didn't "REMEMBER" it. So, I grabbed it and read it today. Nope not something to let the cadets read! Great dystopia novella though.

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Whoa!

It's prolly been 40 years ago that I read BNW!!

Fantastic novel, highly recommended!!!

About time for a re-read, I should say!

Thanks Lurker and . . . LET THEM READ IT!! :D

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just finished book 9 of the Wheel of Times series (for the 3rd or 4th time). got a page or 2 into book 10 with the hopes of finishing the series this summer (finally).

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I went back old-school and have decided to read the Azure Bonds series. Something about this old fashioned style of fantasy stories really sticks with me.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

I feel guilty saying that I’ve yet to read Brave New World. One day, I really ought to fix that.

Just finished reading Ready Player One, which was an outstanding read.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Just finished reading White Nile by Alan Moorehead about the exploration and later colonial exploitation of the upper reaches of the Nile river. Fascinating to read how the explorers used to equip themselves for travel into Africa's interior. And the descriptions of the tribes encountered and the Arabic cultures was equally fascinating. A good read for any C&Cer as we as players explore new terrain and cultures all the time in our game worlds.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've started reading the second Omnibus, which starts off where the first ended.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:Whoa!

It's prolly been 40 years ago that I read BNW!!

Fantastic novel, highly recommended!!!

About time for a re-read, I should say!

Thanks Lurker and . . . LET THEM READ IT!! :D

Hmmmmmm, lets see .... I have cadets that for the most part already have issues with drug abuse, try and sneak out all the time to hook up with the female cadets, and think individual freedom is conforming to their peers to fill their more base impulses ... and sadly about a 3rd are academically at the level of an 'Epsilon' ...

So a book about society that uses drugs and promiscuous sex as a way to fuel a society of conformity probably shouldn't be on the reading list for them ...

Honestly, out of the 125ish cadets that are graduating this weekend, I can only think of about 12 or so that could read it and understand the implications and theme of the book. At least 1/3rd of them would take the wrong lesson from it and believe that a society of drugs and sex would be worth the loss of individual freedom ...

C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I am no longer allowed to read. Survey said so. I must obey.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:I am no longer allowed to read. Survey said so. I must obey.

:shock: :shock: :lol:

C&C Society

Tempestari
Henchman

Post by Tempestari »

Omote wrote:I went back old-school and have decided to read the Azure Bonds series. Something about this old fashioned style of fantasy stories really sticks with me.

~O
I played as a master the AD&D module with the same title. Great fun!

Now reading Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith.

darkpaladin45
Mist Elf

Post by darkpaladin45 »

I am currently reading The Lost King by Margaret Weis. I was actually surprised that this somehow had managed to completely miss my radar. I saw her post a few weeks ago about how the series had been picked up for a TV series, and immediately went out and bought the first three books.

-Chris

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

After reading through some of the posts yesterday, I decided to pick up a copy of Dragons of Autmn Twilight. Thanks to whoever it was. I had read some of Terry Goodkind's books of Wizards Rule and I lost interest after the 4th book. I do want to read R.A. Salvatore's Dritz series but I started reading that series at A Thousand Orc's and again after 4 books I lost interest. Hopefully Margaret and Tracy don't let me down. I always seem to revert back to my Conan novels.
Resistance is futile.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Just finished . . Dune!

I could post all night talking about the awesomeness of this book, but I don't have time right now . . .

Started on Dune Messiah!!

:)

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Just started re-reading Ernest Cleins _Ready Player One_ for the 4th time. I love that book, and can't wait for Spielberg's movie version.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rhuvein wrote:Started on Dune Messiah!!
You poor, poor bastard. The quality of the material sadly drops precipitously with the second book. Then again, maybe you will enjoy it just as much as you did Dune. Fingers crossed for you!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

I've read the first Dune, but have pointedly ignored the rest of the series. I believe Litzen went in for the whole of it, though.

Currently reading The Cardinal’s Blades, a swashbuckling fantasy novel set in a 17th century France with dragons, wyverns, half-dragons, and some magic.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Buttmonkey wrote:
You poor, poor bastard. The quality of the material sadly drops precipitously with the second book. Then again, maybe you will enjoy it just as much as you did Dune. Fingers crossed for you!
Haha!

I've read the whole series several times.

Dune Messiah may not be as strong as Dune, but it's still very interesting when viewed in the context of the whole series.

Children of Dune is very good.

God Emperor is slow at times, and might be the weakest of the series.

Heretics and Chapterhouse are excellent, IMO.

If readers can hang in there with those middle books, then they will be rewarded when reading the last 2!

8-)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rhuvein wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:
Haha!

I've read the whole series several times.

Dune Messiah may not be as strong as Dune, but it's still very interesting when viewed in the context of the whole series.

8-)
Well, finished the book and it was even better than I had remembered it to be. I don't think I realized how long it had been since I read it. Praps, 25+ years ago or so.

It really is a sequel to Dune and an end to the Paul/Chani chapter of the series.

The introduction of the ghola and the interplay with Paul and the other characters was fantastic, IMO!

At times there might have been too much philosophizing and thus slowed down the action (as compared to Dune), but that didn't bother me at all. I guess I fell into the pace of the book and just coasted along.

Anyway, a very good read in the series.

Hehe, I look forward to continuing to rediscovering and enjoying the middle books!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I also enjoy his White Plague novel.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:I also enjoy his White Plague novel.
Really!!!

Very cool.

I have never read anything else by Herbert beside the Dune series.

But I now recall my brother telling me this was an excellent book.

Let us know what you think of it (either now or when you finish).

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Finally got to read some of Clark Ashton Smith's work with A Rendezvous in Averoigne. Wish I had done so sooner, but his stuff can be hard to find. I love how he blends horror, fantasy, and sci-fi, sometimes within the same story.