Ranged Weapons That Miss Their Target...

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Ranged Weapons That Miss Their Target...

Post by alcyone »

I've noticed no one I play with uses the "ranged weapons that miss their target" rule.

The rule as written is for every ten feet past the missed target within close range (in a straight line), you make a new attack roll, with each new attack roll at -1 from the previous. Crossbows, though, go all the way to long range. Of course, you continue to take the normal range increment penalties.

I guess one reason is it makes no sense that the higher you roll the better chance you have to hit something you weren't aiming at. But I think it's an interesting rule and could in most cases serve to get archers to drop their weapons when enemies close with their friends.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Ranged Weapons That Miss Their Target...

Post by Rigon »

The main reason I don't use the rule is because it slows combat down.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Rigon wrote:The main reason I don't use the rule is because it slows combat down.

R-
Same.

There have been a few situations where errant arrows have struck other targets, but these are generally when I think it will heighten the drama...and sometimes actually prompted by player's input.

I usually tell players firing into melee that there is a chance, on a miss, they might strike another target, and then let them decide whether it is worth the risk. I don't really have any hard numbers for what that chance is. I pretty much just wing it on a case-by-case basis.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I just look at how many are in combat and relative sizes, assign rough odds if someone might be hit, make a quick roll for a yes or no and then on we go.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I don't use the rule, but have had spears and arrows occasionally strike both friend and foe to keep things interesting. Also, whenever someone rolls a 1 when using a ranged weapon I take a look at how the parties are deployed and give the missile a chance to hit someone other than the intended.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well, I actually do play with that rule - well a variation on it anyway. I'll have to go back and re-look at it.

But it's been fun for us anyway. The last two sessions of our C&C game had two parties in the middle of a troll fight launching arrows at the troll....and missing. Repeatedly. So I look at the characters behind or in-combat with the Troll and roll a d6 to decide who the arrow is now heading for. The PC rolls again - against the PC's armor class. Had PCs wounding other PCs, along with near misses all over the place.

I think I'll add in the -1 to hit though.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It's one of the few rules I don't use as it is unimportant to the nature of my games. It also goes to show that deep down, there are gridded tactical rules in C&C, buried beneath the surface.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

The only rule I used for ranged attacks that miss is that if you fire into a melee and roll a 1, you hit an ally.

AndyMac
Mist Elf

Post by AndyMac »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:The only rule I used for ranged attacks that miss is that if you fire into a melee and roll a 1, you hit an ally.
I tried other more complex systems, but this gives a risk of hurting friends without slowing things down overmuch.

Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

Post by Galadrin »

I don't mind using the "hit ally on a 1" rule, but I would probably levy a to hit penalty for shooting into combat in the first place (maybe -4).

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

I like a system similar to that used in the Fantasy Flight 40k RPG's. If you miss your target based on the the penalty applied for shooting into a combat, you strike another combatant. The combatant struck is determined randomly.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I fear I wing it slightly differently every time to see if the archer or dagger lobber has accidentally nailed another thing, be it wall, tree, ally or other enemy. But in general I do not worry about a sword or spear or halberd miss nailing the guy to my right... I just give a penalty to the archer firing into melee in the form of harder to hit due to "partial cover" and anything that misses with a 1 (truly wild and I say where it lands) or just missed (within the penalty I gave for cover) and if so, a second roll to hit to see if the "cover" gets stuck. This makes things less likely and never more than one roll away from resolution.

Kirk
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Whether or not to use this rule, and debating exactly how, has long been a bone of contention. While I dread "reality shifts" where the rules of the universe suddenly change, this is one that might, as the characters ascend in level. Currently we don't use it, but I'd like to, especially when using maps and minis and it's clear that a shot in a straight line could hit someone behind them.

Attempts to implement such a rule, however, has been met universally by protest. On the flip side, it applies to both sides, so a missed bow from the heroes won't hit the wrong Orc, either. Currently, arrows that miss seem to be just kinda disappear.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I use the rule. They can protest all they want. Furthermore, if an arrow strike the target, it is destroyed. I am a bow hunter and I know what arrows do when they hit meat, bone and sinew. If they miss, there is a 50/50 chance they can be retrieved. If it is a magic arrow it is always retrieved. If a magic arrow hits the target, there is 75% chance it will survive.

But in my games, stray arrows are wild, deadly things to avoid. Oh, and no hitting trees with arrows. In reality, arrows do not stick in trees. They shatter. Well, some deflect and get all dangerous.