Classic Monsters up for second printing..

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Classic Monsters up for second printing..

Post by Treebore »

as this months KS. I hope it does well enough to make it to full color.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Re: Classic Monsters up for second printing..

Post by thenorthman »

Sweet!

I just want a leather copy! :O)

September 10th!

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

I'm a fan of the all color print for the monster manuals. -mM

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Michael Montalto wrote:I'm a fan of the all color print for the monster manuals. -mM
Yeah, I am hoping we will eventually get there.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

please help the slow, what are you talking about? Classic monsters? wasn't in color and where is this KS for it?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

Treebore wrote:
Michael Montalto wrote:I'm a fan of the all color print for the monster manuals. -mM
Yeah, I am hoping we will eventually get there.
You will, it's just a matter of time. The Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde would be the next book that I would love to see in full color as well. I would think that in your kickstarters, a stretch reward would be color printing for all of your future books. I'm happy that the PHB and Codex of Aihrde will be in full color.

-mM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Captain_K wrote:please help the slow, what are you talking about? Classic monsters? wasn't in color and where is this KS for it?
It was B&W. But, I too know of no KS for a color version.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'll take an updated color version please. Mark me down for one.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A KS for the second printing starts on the 10th of this month. I do NOT know if its going to be full color, but I am hopeful one of the stretch goals is for full color, and that it will be reached.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

I'll hold off. They are getting in over their heads. Still waiting for the gross errata issues with the last CKG to be addressed.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:I'll hold off. They are getting in over their heads. Still waiting for the gross errata issues with the last CKG to be addressed.
At least it isn't as horrible as some other products they released. The PDF they released a couple of months ago by Jim Ward, the one with a bunch of magic spells, I am blanking on its proper name right now, was scary bad. The new PDF they released about two weeks ago is a heck of a lot better. I haven't caught any bad errors in Classic, but I don't use it that much, so I'm not surprised that I've missed mistakes. I am actually much more interested in a full color version of the M&T of A. But I will be happy getting a full color Classic first.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:I'll hold off. They are getting in over their heads. Still waiting for the gross errata issues with the last CKG to be addressed.
At least it isn't as horrible as some other products they released. The PDF they released a couple of months ago by Jim Ward, the one with a bunch of magic spells, I am blanking on its proper name right now, was scary bad. The new PDF they released about two weeks ago is a heck of a lot better. I haven't caught any bad errors in Classic, but I don't use it that much, so I'm not surprised that I've missed mistakes. I am actually much more interested in a full color version of the M&T of A. But I will be happy getting a full color Classic first.

I dodged the Ward PDF. Haven't scoured Classic either to look. Was still working on CKG but I don't think the Trolls have an interest in fixing it so I stopped.

House Rules

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

Haven't had a chance to go all through the latest ckg but I would like to know what didn't get fixed?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

gabriellyon wrote:Haven't had a chance to go all through the latest ckg but I would like to know what didn't get fixed?

I don't know, since its another book I don't use much, but going by what I have seen, its typos.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

I've been slowly reading through the 2nd printing CKG and haven't really noticed that many, if any typos. But it is possible I missed some along the way.

I have the first printing of Classic Monsters and I am not sure I will be going in on the Kickstarter for a 2nd printing, unless the stretch goals are particularly enticing. Full color won't seal the deal for me, so it will have to be something else that I don't already have.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

pawndream wrote:I've been slowly reading through the 2nd printing CKG and haven't really noticed that many, if any typos.
I haven't even started looking for typo's. I'm still on major correction items.

House Rules

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Arduin wrote:
pawndream wrote:I've been slowly reading through the 2nd printing CKG and haven't really noticed that many, if any typos.
Major corrections for what? Maybe I haven't noticed because I do not use any of the optional rules from the CKG, but am curious as to what is wrong in that book.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

pawndream wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Major corrections for what? Maybe I haven't noticed because I do not use any of the optional rules from the CKG, but am curious as to what is wrong in that book.
Start going through the tables and you'll see.

House Rules

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Arduin wrote:
Hmm. That is probably why I have not noticed anything as I have read through the book--I don't use tables when I run games. I just make stuff up as I go along. But I can see how it could be irritating if the tables are incorrect, especially if a GM uses random tables to run games.

I did a quick look at a few of the tables to see if anything stood out as blatantly wrong, but did not see anything with a casual perusal.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I remember (quite a long time ago) that somebody said some of the wagon capacity values and the modifier for firing one arrow were wrong (from the first printing). I think it was in an old thread. Not sure about the latest 2nd printing, but I do recall that the modifier for one arrow shot (for multi-shot purposes) was corrected to 0 insstead of -1, or whatever it was originally listed as.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Arduin wrote:
pawndream wrote:
Arduin wrote:
For Pete's sake, if you are already going through the "major correction items" then give us some examples. Telling us to go look ourselves is completely unhelpful. If you've really found problems post some. Making a claim that there are "major corrections" and not backing that statement up when someone calls you on it, smacks of BS. If you are really doing the work of finding "major corrections" post em! At the very least it will be a service to those of us who lack the time to go through hundreds of pages of the CKG to find these "major corrections" so we can make corrections ourselves as needed during game play.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've found one table so far. Wall Hit Points.For Wood Door they say HP is 50 per foot and 5 per inch. Well, if its 5 per inch, then 1 foot should be 60, not 50.
Same for the next door, 75 per foot, 7 per inch. It should be 84 per foot.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Another is table 6.7, militia size per community. There are numbers before each habitation. They make Zero sense, so I think they aren't even supposed to be there.

Plus, I see no reason for the table to even be there, since all of the same info is also in table 6.6.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Not sure if its technically errata, but in Chapter 4, page 81, Construction times, I definitely disagree with some of the base line time frames given, particularly for pottery, glass, and leather goods. Unless its also supposed to include gathering the raw materials, converting them into useful materials, and then doing the crafting. However, I think they are assuming you have your gear and supplies on hand to craft such items. Using their system would mean it would take you as much as 8 days to make a cup, and a minimum of 2. It in no way takes into account that a good potter can throw 100 cups per day, let them dry for a day or two, and then fire all of them, finishing all 100 cups in 4 or 5 days. Plus it wouldn't take into account that on the days they wait for the drying and the firing, they can make 100 more each day.

Glassware and leather crafting have similar issues.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Treebore: The errors, or miscalculations, you pointed out would exactly the reason I don't get into the level of granularity that these tables try to simulate. Distilling real-world activities like crafting bottles, how many hit points a door has, etc. into set modifiers is only bound to cause problems. These types of activities can easily be abstracted, or a ruling made on the fly, and the game will move along much smoother for all involved.

Reminds me of a Knights of the Dinner Table strip where the party discovers a misprint in the equipment list for the price of a pit bull. The party then decides to exploit this loophole by purchasing an army of pitbulls, "The Doomsday Pack", resulting in total destruction for the campaign world as the pack unleashes it iron jaws on an unsuspecting world.

:)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

pawndream wrote:Treebore: The errors, or miscalculations, you pointed out would exactly the reason I don't get into the level of granularity that these tables try to simulate. Distilling real-world activities like crafting bottles, how many hit points a door has, etc. into set modifiers is only bound to cause problems. These types of activities can easily be abstracted, or a ruling made on the fly, and the game will move along much smoother for all involved.

Reminds me of a Knights of the Dinner Table strip where the party discovers a misprint in the equipment list for the price of a pit bull. The party then decides to exploit this loophole by purchasing an army of pitbulls, "The Doomsday Pack", resulting in total destruction for the campaign world as the pack unleashes it iron jaws on an unsuspecting world.

:)
I can understand it, the VAST majority of people today have never done pottery, glass blowing or leather working, I have. So if they are going to give guidelines for such stuff, I wish they would at least talk to people who do it, to give at least reasonably realistic guidelines.

Ah well, maybe I will write it as an article for our Domesday zine.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote: I can understand it, the VAST majority of people today have never done pottery, glass blowing or leather working, I have. So if they are going to give guidelines for such stuff, I wish they would at least talk to people who do it, to give at least reasonably realistic guidelines.
+1

House Rules

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Treebore,
Thanks for giving some examples of screwed up tables. Now I can understand what the deal is. I never would have noticed the numbers were wrong for door thickness even had had time to take a look at everything in detail. So by you pointing it out I have a better idea of where I might find issues in the CKG.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The CM KS has begun! Last time I checked 16 of us have already backed it. It goes full color at $12,000.00.

darkpaladin45
Mist Elf

Post by darkpaladin45 »

Treebore wrote:The CM KS has begun! Last time I checked 16 of us have already backed it. It goes full color at $12,000.00.
And I'm backer 19. Sure hope it hits $12,000. I would love a color book. :)

-Chris