Gripe: book spines not glued

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Gripe: book spines not glued

Post by slimykuotoan »

Why are all the spines on current rpg books poorly attached?

What give? Is it a new style thing?

Will it affect the life of the book?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Gripe: book spines not glued

Post by Arduin »

Mine are fine. Sounds like RPG books don't like you. :lol:
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm starting to wonder if I just get bad batches, or if this' a new design feature.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

On most HC RPG type books the edges of the pages will NOT be glued to the spine. Otherwise you couldn't open the book without causing the spine to curve in.

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I prefer mine sewn with mangut. Etched in flesh and inked with blood.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:I prefer mine sewn with mangut. Etched in flesh and inked with blood.
Pretty much any high quality "leather" cover dated prior to 1900 is made of human skin. It was considered to be far superior to pig skin, etc... because of its much finer grain. So the higher the quality the leather book was considered to be, the more likely it is that is leather cover is human skin.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

Treebore wrote:
serleran wrote:I prefer mine sewn with mangut. Etched in flesh and inked with blood.
Pretty much any high quality "leather" cover dated prior to 1900 is made of human skin. It was considered to be far superior to pig skin, etc... because of its much finer grain. So the higher the quality the leather book was considered to be, the more likely it is that is leather cover is human skin.

Uhhhh....you're kidding right.

Otherwise, are you saying I have a bookshelf (out of many, so only one five shelfer) in my personal library that has a lot of dead people's skins on it?

I think I just got freaked a little bit.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

GreyLord wrote:
Treebore wrote:

Uhhhh....you're kidding right.

Otherwise, are you saying I have a bookshelf (out of many, so only one five shelfer) in my personal library that has a lot of dead people's skins on it?

I think I just got freaked a little bit.
"Harvard called the discovery "good news for fans of anthropodermic bibliopegy, bibliomaniacs and cannibals alike". Anthropodermic bibliopegy is the practice of binding books in human skin, something which enjoyed a spate of popularity in the 19th century, but which has occurred since at least the 1500s."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/j ... human-skin

I had a 3.X Libris Mortis custom bound in human skin by a bindery in South America.

Pretty common.

House Rules

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I don't think 'common' is a good descriptor. The Harvard collection only contains one book like that after all. Wellcome also only has one book like that.

Simon Chaplin, head of the Wellcome Library has gone on record saying, "There are not a huge number of these books out there, it has been an occasional practice mainly done for generating a sense of vicarious excitement than for a practical motive," he says. "It generally seems to have been done in the 19th Century by doctors who had access to human bodies for dissection."

He says 'vicarious excitement'. I say 'crime against humanity.' Who did they do this to? Criminals, yes. But also women and very much so people of colour. Did the world not cringe when this kind of atrocity was presented at the Nuremberg Trails?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Penny-Whistle wrote: He says 'vicarious excitement'. I say 'crime against humanity.' Who did they do this to? Criminals, yes. But also women and very much so people of colour. Did the world not cringe when this kind of atrocity was presented at the Nuremberg Trails?
LMAO!

Using the skin of cadavers is NOT a crime against humanity. (in fact, it is used today in surgery). Trade in cadaver parts is ancient. The skin was used from people who died for reasons OTHER than someone wanting to have leather for a book. Plus, it's Green. Recycle, reuse...

It's amusing to read such posts though as it shows the collapse of the education system.

House Rules

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

So you would be ok with some guy using the skin of someone you loved for making placemats for his dinner table or binding up a copy of his Yellow Pages from 1978?

That skin you have on your book probably belonged to someone who had a family. I can't imagine a scenario where that skin was ethically collected to be used in such a fashion.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Penny-Whistle wrote:So you would be ok with some guy using the skin of someone you loved for making placemats for his dinner table or binding up a copy of his Yellow Pages from 1978?
No problem. When I'm gone I've donated my carcass to Burning Man.

BTW, I'd REALLY be careful about voicing your uneducated diatribes about the Holocaust out in a public place. If you do it around a survivor (even though they are old now) you may be putting yourself in physical danger. (I'm not kidding.)

House Rules

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Arduin wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:So you would be ok with some guy using the skin of someone you loved for making placemats for his dinner table or binding up a copy of his Yellow Pages from 1978?

BTW, I'd REALLY be careful about voicing your uneducated diatribes about the Holocaust out in a public place. If you do it around a survivor (even though they are old now) you may be putting yourself in physical danger. (I'm not kidding.)

If you are short on funds I'd be happy to pay to have your moral compass recalibrated.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Arduin wrote:

If you are short on funds I'd be happy to pay to have your moral compass recalibrated.

LOL! Gotta love the young, uneducated and ignorant. They make life interesting.

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are some people who willfully donate their bodies, for all sorts of things. Such as the plasticized artwork of some German dude (sorry forgot his name) and/or the many numerous examples of skull collections, like those in the Mütter Museum and many others.

Going far enough back, perhaps, where some concepts about legality and morality were less... documented... things might be more dubious, but religions have long done things we might not see eye-to-eye with today.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:There are some people who willfully donate their bodies, for all sorts of things. Such as the plasticized artwork of some German dude (sorry forgot his name) and/or the many numerous examples of skull collections, like those in the Mütter Museum and many others.

Going far enough back, perhaps, where some concepts about legality and morality were less... documented... things might be more dubious, but religions have long done things we might not see eye-to-eye with today.
Correct. Going back to the African tribes I descended from, eating the organs of deceased family was practiced. But then Europeans, like this Penny-Whistle character came along and decided we needed our "moral compasses" changed. Typical oppressive attitude against minorities. :(

Plus, I'm NOT digging up the person who donated the skin to put it back on the cadaver. He was one of our regular players who freely donated his skin for the group Libre Mortis project. After he died of course.

House Rules

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Arduin wrote:
serleran wrote:There are some people who willfully donate their bodies, for all sorts of things. Such as the plasticized artwork of some German dude (sorry forgot his name) and/or the many numerous examples of skull collections, like those in the Mütter Museum and many others.

Correct. Going back to the African tribes I descended from, eating the organs of deceased family was practiced. But then Europeans, like this Penny-Whistle character came along and decided we needed our "moral compasses" changed. Typical oppressive attitude against minorities. :(

Plus, I'm NOT digging up the person who donated the skin to put it back on the cadaver. He was one of our regular players who freely donated his skin for the group Libre Mortis project. After he died of course.
What I found slightly unnerving at first is that as a Knight Templar (The Masonic order not medieval knight) we use skulls and femurs in our ritual work and quite few of the skulls are donated by past members of the commandery (what the old men playing dress up call a group of knights templar) it was all cool until we are taking a sip from a skull cap

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Dracyian wrote:
Arduin wrote:

What I found slightly unnerving at first is that as a Knight Templar (The Masonic order not medieval knight) we use skulls and femurs in our ritual work and quite few of the skulls are donated by past members of the commandery (what the old men playing dress up call a group of knights templar) it was all cool until we are taking a sip from a skull cap
:o

House Rules

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

My home town of Morristown NJ, had the last public execution in NJ in 1833. The condemned was Antoine LeBlanc who had murdered a wealthy farmer, his wife and slave woman, then tried to flee with stolen loot.

His sentence: “….that you be hung by the neck till you are dead. And it is further considered by the court, that after execution is done, your body will be delivered to Dr. Canfield, a surgeon, for dissection. And may God have mercy upon your soul.” The body was delivered to the good Doctor, who did the dissection and also performed some electricity experiments on the muscles using a galvanized battery. Then the skin was send to a local tannery, and made into wallets and lamp shades. A few of the older families in Morristown into the 1980s claimed to still own those "keep-sakes".

Nice article on it here: Morristown Green and here: Murder by Gaslight

The house where the murders where committed was turned into a restaurant, which for many decades was supposed to be haunted by the murdered slave woman. Haunted Restaurant of Morristown

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

dachda wrote:My home town of Morristown NJ, had the last public execution in NJ in 1833. The condemned was Antoine LeBlanc who had murdered a wealthy farmer, his...
Very cool local history.

House Rules

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Arduin wrote:
dachda wrote:My home town of Morristown NJ, had the last public execution in NJ in 1833. The condemned was Antoine LeBlanc who had murdered a wealthy farmer, his...
Very cool local history.
Throw in George Washington and army's stay there in 1777, after the Trenton and Princeton victories. And later in 1780 during the worst winter of the Revolutionary War, much worse than Valley Forge fame. Benedict Arnold's first trial was there. Marquis de Lafayette met Washington there to inform him that French help was on its way. Alexander Hamilton married there. Thomas Paine wrote Common Sense while living there. Samuel F. B. Morse and Alfred Vail built the first telegraph at the Speedwell Ironworks in Morristown on January 6, 1838. And the oldest (I beleive) continually running short-line railroad was founded there in 1895 and still operate today (Morristown & Erie RR)

Yeah, lotsa cool history in my home town.