Codex & PG to Aihrde

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Michael Montalto
Ungern

Codex & PG to Aihrde

Post by Michael Montalto »

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of these two books. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Kickstarter and wasn't able to get in on that at the time (although I totally would have). I've visited the projects section of the website and there isn't anything specific. Considering the Kickstarter (I believe) began in January, when do the trolls expect to have these books and PDF's released to the public? I'd love to get my hands on them.

-mM

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Codex & PG to Aihrde

Post by Rigon »

I imagine the Codex will be available between now and Christmas, since it's basically finished with some minor tweaks left to do. As for the PG, no idea. I'm not even sure Steve has started to write it yet.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

One, or both, go to the printers on the 28th, so next month, or in October.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Treebore wrote:One, or both, go to the printers on the 28th, so next month, or in October.
This is excellent news! Thank you.

-mM

darkpaladin45
Mist Elf

Post by darkpaladin45 »

Yeah, looking forward to this myself.

-Chris

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Codex of Aihdre, of which the .pdf went out to backers, is pretty cool. The first part reads like you are reading Beowulf with a mix of Western Civ history book thrown in. The second half is in true gazetteer form, and I can't fault that. Overall, I am looking forward to the massive physical incarnation of the Codex of Aihrde to come my way.

But more important I think, is the Player's Guide to Aihrde. I'm hoping the authors really take time to make this book complete, and well illustrated (is the Player's Guide to Aihdre supposed to be in color?). I think the Trolls can take the new Player's Guide to Aihdre and learn from their mistakes found in the Player's Guide to the Haunted Highlands. Not that the latter is a bad book, but it's a pretty weak Hardcover book. The PGHH does all of the requisite stuff for new races, spells, classes, etc. but is marred by some lackluster editing. Still, there are some neat things that make the PGHH pretty worthwild. The exception is that the PGHH has a reprint of the PHB rules to play the game. I don't know about you, but I have a PHB. I do not need a simply cut n' paste of the PHB rules in my Player's Guide of Aihdre, that is, unless TLG does it to the nth degree and reprints all of the spells (descriptions and lists), equipment, and the rest of the PHB incorporating into it, all of the Aihrde specifics.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I didn't get why they did that, reprint part of the PHB, because even if you were to play a "pure" HH game, the Guide does not have everything you would need to know as a player, you still need to reference the PHB. So it certainly smacks of padding a page count that was too thin.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Per the latest news: the Codex is in line for the printers, the Players Guide is getting a final look over, and the maps are being updated.

So the Codex should be soonish, with the PG some time after that.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Per the latest news: the Codex is in line for the printers, the Players Guide is getting a final look over, and the maps are being updated.

So the Codex should be soonish, with the PG some time after that.

R-
The last issue of the Tusk said they had a printer date for Aihrde on the 28th of this month, so hopefully both will be getting printed at the same time.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

I've been slowly picking my way through the digital Codex and like what I have seen so far. It is a dense book for sure, but packed with lots of lore. Very difficult to read on the computer, but will probably be good to have on my nightstand, slowly read over a month or so.

Soon...

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Is the Codex to Aihrde the actual campaign setting itself or is it more of a history book for the world? As an example, does it contain several key NPC's? Perhaps rulers of kingdoms and their stats? Drizzt was an example in the Forgotten Realms.

I'm very curious about Aihrde as a campaign setting overall and I would like to do a combination of existing Troll Lord adventures, some classic D&D adventures and a bit of home brew stuff that is build in Aihrde.

I want to ensure that I am purchasing the correct books to accommodate those goals.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-mM

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Michael Montalto wrote:Is the Codex to Aihrde the actual campaign setting itself or is it more of a history book for the world? As an example, does it contain several key NPC's? Perhaps rulers of kingdoms and their stats? Drizzt was an example in the Forgotten Realms.

I'm very curious about Aihrde as a campaign setting overall and I would like to do a combination of existing Troll Lord adventures, some classic D&D adventures and a bit of home brew stuff that is build in Aihrde.

I want to ensure that I am purchasing the correct books to accommodate those goals.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-mM
Technically, it is both a history and a campaign setting. I can't remember if there are specific NPCs in it or not, or if they are in the adventure modules set in Aihrde. But you shouldn't have any trouble placing old D&D modules in Aihrde or any adventures that you want to run.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Rigon, thanks so much for the quick reply. That is helpful. I plan to pick up the PHB, Codex and Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde books. I really wanted to wait however until the Codex was finished before I picked up the others.

I'm actually curious as to why the Haunted Highlands has it's own campaign setting as from what I understand the Haunted Highlands is actually within Aihrde.

-mM

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

I think Haunted Highlands actually started as its own thing, a sandboxy mini-setting with a series of gazeteer-like modules to support it.

It was later retrofitted to fall within Aihrde as a far-flung realm, far away from the main Aihrde stomping grounds: The Cradle of the World. I believe this happened as one of the stretch goals of the Kickstarter that funded the hardcover books.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Michael Montalto wrote:Rigon, thanks so much for the quick reply. That is helpful. I plan to pick up the PHB, Codex and Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde books. I really wanted to wait however until the Codex was finished before I picked up the others.

I'm actually curious as to why the Haunted Highlands has it's own campaign setting as from what I understand the Haunted Highlands is actually within Aihrde.

-mM
No problem, MM. As was already stated, HH was a sandbox setting that got swallowed up by Aihrde at some point. I still have them separate since HH is kickarse on it's own.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Seems to read to me like HH is still its own setting, just now they have an "official" location within Aihrde to place HH if you want them used together.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

So far I have purchased the PHB, CKG, M&T, Classic Monsters and the Book of Familiars. I feel like I have a great set of core rules and optional rules. Having a setting to place the players in is going to be very important for our storytelling.

I'm truly looking forward to this.

As a side note, I had the opportunity to meet several of the Trolls at Gen Con. I'm really happy that I support a small, hard working American company that I feel "gets it". When I was looking at a "new game" to get into because my boys were interested in this sort of thing, I reviewed Pathfinder, D&D (4th Ed), and Castles & Crusades. I spent roughly a month looking into all of the systems and I enjoyed the simplicity of C&C. I also really liked that Gary Gygax was a part of the game as well. The A series adventures are wonderful (although I feel like we need a truly epic adventure the likes of The Temple of Elemental Evil, and Ravenloft) and my family is enjoying them.

-mM

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

You definitely have all the books you need for years of rip-roaring tales of adventure. From what I have seen, Aihrde has the weight of more world history and mythology and covers a much wider area, whereas Haunted Highlands is painted in broad strokes and covers a much smaller region.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game. It is a lot of fun and very easy to teach and play.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Any update on when the Codex of Aihrde will be available? I'm eagerly looking forward to this one. -mM

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Troll Lord Steve mentioned in chat last night that the Codex of Aihrde is already at the printer, and has about 4 more weeks until printed. There was no mention of the Player's Guide.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Michael Montalto
Ungern

I'm looking forward to it. I'll place an order the moment that it comes out. I don't want to wait around for too long to acquire it and have something new to read.

-mM

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Bumping this.

Release Codex of Aihrde please. I'm going to keep bugging you until you do. The PDF would be highly handy until I can get my hands on the printed book. :)

-mM

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

As a side note, I had the opportunity to meet several of the Trolls at Gen Con. I'm really happy that I support a small, hard working American company that I feel "gets it". When I was looking at a "new game" to get into because my boys were interested in this sort of thing, I reviewed Pathfinder, D&D (4th Ed), and Castles & Crusades. I spent roughly a month looking into all of the systems and I enjoyed the simplicity of C&C. I also really liked that Gary Gygax was a part of the game as well. The A series adventures are wonderful (although I feel like we need a truly epic adventure the likes of The Temple of Elemental Evil, and Ravenloft) and my family is enjoying them.

-mM

Michael, to quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade..."You chose wisely." :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Not that the Trolls have said anything that I have seen, but I am pretty sure we are getting these corrected/updated PDF's as a direct result of their finally actually being printed. IE the issues being fixed were found by the printers pre print run. So I am fully expecting the Trolls to announce shipping the physical books to us in the next 2 to 4 weeks. Later than they originally announced, but they often get bumped by the printing companies priorities at this stage, so no surprise, to me, on that front.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

I purchased a copy of the PDF :) Going over all the Gods right now and taking notes. I've been waiting on this for a while. This is what I'm talking about when it comes to great customer service!

-mM

Michael Montalto
Ungern

After purchasing the Codex of Aihrde in PDF format, I realized that there were supposed to be maps that came with it. I see a few of them inside of the PDF, but not separate files that I could print out.

I didn't see them as part of the purchase download. Are these updated files available for download?

-mM