Where'd they all go?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Where'd they all go?

Post by alcyone »

I don't really mind talking to the same 20 people all of the time, but I wonder where everyone went. The Admin and Moderator member links are graveyards of distant last login dates (thanks to those who are taking up the slack!) and we're not seeing a lot of new blood here, even though the kickstarters are apparently doing great.

Did everyone really go to the Facebook and Google+ sites? Is it really possible to have a long term, persistent, searchable conversation on those sites? They are too doubleplusgood for me, so if this place dies, I guess I go with it.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Where'd they all go?

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'd say a good portion of folks simply lurk...of those that do visit. Several absentee folks have moved on or simply been waylaid by RL stuff.

I don't see a lot of discussion on FB or G+ other than the map making group. Most of the activity I see is still here. I don't do twitter so I can't say much there.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I wonder about the Society forums too; unless those replace this forum I don't know how big those can get either and if they'll just divide attention more.

I suppose if I keep Eeyoreing about it, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Has there been recent product to drive conversation? It seems that, as one would expect, whenever there is something new... there's people to complain about it, others to defend it, and some to just see what the fuss is about.

We need a series of short and fast modules. Like 2-6 pages.

Hmm.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

The Society pages haven't got much to attract folks yet. Once (if) the library content goes up there and folks start seeing some credible benefit to joining there may be more discussion. Despite that I still think these boards will remain the primary go to since it is essentially open public access.

Yeah Serl. The kickstarters are great but it is still taking time to get things out. Given my job I fully understand the concept of so many hours in a day and can produce only so much, but with the main product being time intensive to produce, the overall brand loses momentum while waiting for such to release. Quick to produce stuff mixed in would be great to add and keep interest a bit more consistent, relatively speaking.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A new part of the Unclean book was released a day or two ago, but other than that, just waiting on the new Codex'.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

We have the three 'orium books, story teller's dictionary, victorious, Classic Monsters next printing, the new Codex, the Bounty Hunters in Hell thing coming up, that I remember off the top of my head in process. That's a lot pending but just one small thing out recently doesn't initiate a lot of talk. :) Don't mean that to sound sour grape either. It is what it is and that's cool as things get done.

Just one of the things with the society library was to promote exactly the type of small material exchange that is lacking to fill gaps...and we're still waiting after around a year to get things going. Doesn't give one warm fuzzies or encourage folks to participate much. (I'm waiting to bug Steve about my ring until after that kicks in :lol: )

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:A new part of the Unclean book was released a day or two ago, but other than that, just waiting on the new Codex'.
I didn't realize that. The Trolls haven't been announcing new releases of the Unclean like they had been in the past.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Go0gleplex wrote:We have the three 'orium books, story teller's dictionary, victorious, Classic Monsters next printing, the new Codex, the Bounty Hunters in Hell thing coming up, that I remember off the top of my head in process. That's a lot pending but just one small thing out recently doesn't initiate a lot of talk. :) Don't mean that to sound sour grape either. It is what it is and that's cool as things get done.
Those are a lot of "big ticket" things that are clogging up the pipeline. Hopefully, after some of that stuff drops, Steve and the boys can get back to writing kickass modules and adventures. That was one of the things that drew me to C&C, all the great modules and a limited number of core books to buy.
Just one of the things with the society library was to promote exactly the type of small material exchange that is lacking to fill gaps...and we're still waiting after around a year to get things going. Doesn't give one warm fuzzies or encourage folks to participate much. (I'm waiting to bug Steve about my ring until after that kicks in :lol: )
As someone working on the back end of this, I know RL gets in the way more often than not (at least for me), but I keep plugging away, the best I can.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Aergraith wrote:Did everyone really go to the Facebook and Google+ sites? Is it really possible to have a long term, persistent, searchable conversation on those sites? They are too doubleplusgood for me, so if this place dies, I guess I go with it.
I don't know for certain where everyone went, but I suspect that your guess is correct. Personally, I have issues with both Facebook and Google+. I can access them at work when time allows, but my computer at home is waaaay too slow and the graphics of those sites causes my computer to freeze up a lot.

Plus, I really like the message board format. Like you, if this place dies I lose a great resource and I fade away with it. Sort of like the elves in Tolkien's 4th Age.... :P
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Aergraith wrote:I don't really mind talking to the same 20 people all of the time, but I wonder where everyone went. The Admin and Moderator member links are graveyards of distant last login dates (thanks to those who are taking up the slack!) and we're not seeing a lot of new blood here, even though the kickstarters are apparently doing great.

Did everyone really go to the Facebook and Google+ sites? Is it really possible to have a long term, persistent, searchable conversation on those sites? They are too doubleplusgood for me, so if this place dies, I guess I go with it.
The forums are quiet because we have already sorted out all the ambiguities and confusions ;) It is truly the end of history!

My recollection is these boards were always a very small group. It's just that the constituents of the small group have changed over time

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A large part of why I am pretty much always here is because for the last ten years I have pretty nearly always been running or playing in a C&C game.

When I run Savage Worlds or Eclipse Phase, or am playing Rifts, etc... I tend to visit their forums while those games are going on. So I would guess a fair number of others are like me, they hang out on forums/communities related to whatever game or games they are currently involved in. Another number found games they like better than C&C, so have no reason to ever return, and so on...

C&C is only going to be "THE GAME" for a certain percentage of people, dependent upon how much they take a liking to the SIEGE engine AND how many players they can find to play it.

As shocking as it may sound, I think most people don't like to invest in multiple systems. They find one they most easily can buy AND find players for, and make due with just that one system. Hence why so many only play Pathfinder, or official D&D, etc... The books/PDF's are easy to find AND people to play them with are also easy to find.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I agree with Tree. I'm here because I pretty much just play C&C. I collect a lot of other stuff, but C&C is pretty much all I have time for. The boards here have always been welcoming and interesting. I do use and post on G+ occasionally, as I can do a quick glance at a bunch of other systems. Facebook, no thanks. The board here also encourage posting on plenty of non-C&C topics, which I enjoy as well. Ultimately the forums here are kind of "Home" for me, like the tavern you return to after most of your adventures.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Not that I'm really a great conversationalist, but I have appeared here and there on the site and kept up with the G+ group, but haven't really had a whole lot to add. I've hit the chat room on the KotC site (and I'm with you, Go0gleplex. I'm sort of breathlessly waiting to give out Shirt and Ring sizes. XD) but my only available times have been really early morning, so I have generally played a lot of chat-tag.

It doesn't help that my internet has been pretty much sketchy outside of my phone recently. But I will try to be a little more proactive talking. Even if it just means I'll be number 21. ^_^
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I agree that folks hang where their active interests are. I think that is my point though. We need to get, or rather give, folks a reason to have an active interest by having things happening or available. :mrgreen:

Argo, I check in early AM before I start work and afternoon/evening when done. ;)

The big ticket items are where the Trolls make their income from really. Adventures are fairly low profit per Steve's podcast interview. Just spitballing an idea :idea: ; but maybe it might be beneficial to have a small support team set up for independent adventure writers/submittals outside of the core projects? Adventures get put out, aspiring writers/artists get experience and exposure, etc... :geek:

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

The most users (INCLUDING non-registered guests & bots) on this site at one time was 66, back in 2011. The vast % of C&C players never have commented on these boards.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

*a friendly wave*

Curious coincidence that this thread is up on my first visit back to these forums in many months.

Speaking purely for myself, for the last few years I have been playing games other than C&C. I actually took a break from this style of fantasy gaming, except for convention play, about three years ago. I've played occasionally at conventions, but that's about it. I've also scaled back on my gaming purchases to games I'm actually playing, or likely to play (with one exception: The One Ring, because it's just so freaking awesome and well-written).

I found limited value in visiting these boards. Feeling that I had nothing constructive to offer since I wasn't actively playing or running C&C, and nothing to glean here relevant to what I've been playing, I quietly decided a hiatus was in order.

For what it's worth, I barely participate in the official Shadowrun forums, and these days I'm a demo agent for Catalyst, one of their (paid!) freelance adventure authors, and a member of the committee that oversees the FAQ and rules for their Living Campaign. I've also almost completely bailed on the Citizens of the Imperium forum for Traveller, despite a near-life-long affection for that game. And all that was before beginning a social media "diet" recently. Not sure if that says more about me than the state of those communities, but that's the state of things.

I've had some great face time with many folks (Steve, Tim & Tyler from TLG; Rigon, Seskis, Morte & others from the player community) at conventions, and got to meet Rich McKee at a small local con a couple weeks ago. So I haven't been totally out of touch.

In any case I'm back for a look around as I'm thinking of using C&C for a megadungeoncrawl soon, and had time to poke around. May just lurk; may toss out a comment or two. But nice to be rubbing virtual shoulders with many of you after a break.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

LTNS and wb CK. :)

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

I've been a member here for awhile however I was sick for 18-20 months and wasn't up for checking in on the forums. I'm still fairly new but have liked some of the discussions but I have truly loved some of the optional rules people have placed in their taglines, etc.

I joined the Knights of the Crusade as a knight and I haven't been impressed. I thought there'd be more content, direction, discussion, etc. Those elements would kind of get me out there a little bit more to promote the game. I really studied the screen looking for more adventures but only 1 encounter book and some 7th level characters.

What's the expectation of the Knights of the Crusade? Is it fan based, etc.? Should we just make up things and post them there, etc.

I'm not complaining - I'm just trying to understand how things work. I like the concept of it but not seeing how it's working.

-George

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

T1Hound wrote:I've been a member here for awhile however I was sick for 18-20 months and wasn't up for checking in on the forums. I'm still fairly new but have liked some of the discussions but I have truly loved some of the optional rules people have placed in their taglines, etc.

I joined the Knights of the Crusade as a knight and I haven't been impressed. I thought there'd be more content, direction, discussion, etc. Those elements would kind of get me out there a little bit more to promote the game. I really studied the screen looking for more adventures but only 1 encounter book and some 7th level characters.

What's the expectation of the Knights of the Crusade? Is it fan based, etc.? Should we just make up things and post them there, etc.

I'm not complaining - I'm just trying to understand how things work. I like the concept of it but not seeing how it's working.

-George
I can answer some of this George. First, yes, the content and stuff will be mostly fan provided content. The site is pretty much still in the development process but I've been told by the nuts-n-bolts guys that they have a plan and are waiting for approval to implement it. When that happens a lot of the content submitted by members up 'til now should become available. Members have to submit their material for review and approval before it will be posted by the content manager(s). At present, what discussion that can occur happens when you manage to catch me or someone in the chatroom.

There was also mention of a best of type quarterly or annual type publication, but not much has been said about that beyond the brainstorming planning phase.

Of course there have been a couple other hiccups along the way. Given all the other things on the Trolls plate these days however, the society isn't high on the radar from the indications I've gotten. If I've missed something the other core members might add to this...

Hope that helps mate. :ugeek:

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

I visit every day, but am guilty of mostly lurking. :)

Weisenwolf
Henchman

Post by Weisenwolf »

I've only just 'discovered' C&C; nice little mix of B/X type character generation with class and race ala AD&D. The drift in players is happening on a lot of other forum too; Dragonsfoot is the only constantly active one I know of.

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I've just returned to this forum after several years away from the site. In my case, it was RL and changing interests that led to my absence.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

[Southern Gentleman] Some of us are lurking and some of us are making peace with some things. They may come back if they feel compelled to do so. [/Southern Gentleman]
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I think RL gets in the way for most. I'm on here almost every day checking to see what others have posted, but I don't always have something to contribute. My current game consists of just me and my 2 children, so I don't have much to report there. I'm on the Dragonsfoot and Knights/Knaves forums as well, but find the folks here to be the easiest to relate to, maybe because it is a smaller and closer knit group.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

arcanechimera wrote: Did you guys know that the Wizards of the Coast took down all of their forums and communities sites for D&D as well as Magic the Gathering?
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/wi ... -shut-down
A very strange decision, to me anyway. All of my RPG conversations online happen in a forum, designed to put all of the conversations in one place and written around topics and posts, But I don't have an account on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr. I don't know much about Reddit but when I've gone there it seems to be only vaguely forum like and covers so many topics a specific game could get lost. I thought it started as a link aggregator. Twitter, really? People cracking one-liners? Facebook is for showing cat pictures to your family and exes as far as I can tell. Tumblr is pictures of stuff.

Now, I can see how there is a decreasing amount of interesting things to say about a game from 1974; whatever forms it takes we've probably collectively explored every corner of it. These forums we have are great for sharing new material and tools, product announcements, inspiration, looking for players, tracking our games, and arguing that our strip mall tae kwon do gives us expert status regarding questions about the Monk class.

If we lost our forum, I'd still play C&C as long as I was in touch with other players but would likely drift to a game that had a place to gather and talk about it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Forums are still superior to things like Facebook, G+, etc... because its easier to have all the things organized. In Facebook, you have to rely on moderators to gather the "good" posts and put them into the saved documents area, same goes for G+. So if you don't have moderators actively involved in collecting and saving such material, it gets lost. In forums, it gets pre organized, and thanks to the search features forums have, is easier to rediscover.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, we've learned here to save anything we really like. That way, when the Trolls do another move, or have a major crash, between all the members of the community we usually can get stuff re posted.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

arcanechimera wrote:
Treebore wrote:Yeah, we've learned here to save anything we really like. That way, when the Trolls do another move, or have a major crash, between all the members of the community we usually can get stuff re posted.
Posting files on the kotc server will give us some redundancy, and it gets backed up pretty frequently.
Well...if you would quit running over whatever it is we're running over over there AC... :lol: :twisted:

I'm generally popping in fairly often barring work or my knees/feet being buggered. Comes from not having a life. :mrgreen:

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Aergraith wrote:Now, I can see how there is a decreasing amount of interesting things to say about a game from 1974; whatever forms it takes we've probably collectively explored every corner of it.
I'm not sure this is true. I've still seen a lot of traffic on Dragonsfoot and OD&D Discussion. Places like that still have interesting discussions about rule interpretations and so on. The WotC forum used to be more like that in the early days.

C&C seems less ambiguous and more straightforward, so maybe there is less to argue over here. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975