Thoughts on StarSIEGE & Star Wars

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
Rigon
Clang lives!

Thoughts on StarSIEGE & Star Wars

Post by Rigon »

I've been thinking about doing a SS-Star Wars campaign. I've been thinking of the things I'd have to fashion trappings for: species, some vehicles, and Force "powers" are all I think will be needed.

The species aspect will be fairly simple as I've broken it down into 4 categories; humans, near humans, aliens, and droids. I only need to come up with a few "templets" for the near humans and a few examples of the aliens. I plan on using the humans and androids right out of the Field Manual.

The next problem on my list are vehicles. There are no examples of repolsory lift type craft and large capital ships, such as Star Destroyers. So I need to come up with trappings for things like those.

The last, and "major," issue I need to deal with is Force "powers." I could take the list from WEG SW or D20 SW, but I think that those systems are too complex. I view the Force as something very simple with broad applications. Therefore, I came up with the following "powers" that make up a Jedi's abilities: Lightsaber Control, Danger Sense, Sensory Enhancement, Physical Enhancement, Empathy, Second Sight, Telekinesics, Healing, Confusion, and Energy Manipulation. If you think about every thing that the Jedi can do, I think these braod categories cover it fairly well. As to "Dark Side" powers, I would make judgements based on the intent behind the use.

As always, thoughts, comments and questions welcomed.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

you got me back on this topic.

capital ships can be taken fron the victory campaign setting. there were battlecrusers and carriers in that. a few tweaks and the ships are ok.

species templates are cool. I would use the d20 characters as a start.

Force, well, that's the issue. lately ive been thinking to just use force as 1 skill bundle with lightsaber/sense/alter/control as specialities. then use the weg/d20 uses as guidelines for which of the specialities to use. somehow, i need to incorporate the psi or force stat in game play. maybe if one has a psi/force stat of 10 then they can only do 10 skill checks before being taxed and need a period of rest. thats where im stuck.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Like I said, I've just started to really give this tought, so I don't have anything concrete. The way I'm leaning is to make Psi into Force and just do the 10 abilities I listed as Force "powers." Need to get somethings written so I have a better idea of where I want to go.

As for the pointer toward the V2442 book for capital warships, thanks, that makes my job easier.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Malperion

Post by Malperion »

Just watched Episode 3 last night with my oldest, and I have to say the Force powers shown in the movies really boil down to fundamental mind control, telekinesis, some clairvoyance, speak to dead, strangulation and energy expulsion (Sith Lightning). The power level of each dependent upon how much the Force is with the user.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

I was thinking of using PSI/Force points as a running point pool for force use. if the force is used and thus calling for a die roll, then one must spend a force point to "activate" the force. once force points are spent, one can tap their physical stat for extra points. (Like palpatine did while facing mace wendu) to regain force points, one can meditate as a full action and gain one point per round.(as Qui Gon did while waiting for the shield to drop when he fought darth maul)

for the settiing i would start say with a base 2 force. that way young jedi will start with 2 + psi roll + exp spent in psi.

I was also thinking to increase the speciality exp cost of control/alter/sense to 3 per level. this gives a slower increase for jedi since they become so powerful. and, exp does not need to be spent on purchasing jedi powers. if you have the Force skill bundle then you have been trained to use the force.

any thoughts?

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Do you want to go the route of trying to customize Jedi, a la KotOR or just running generic Jedi/Sith in the earliest trappings? If you do generic Jedi to start out, you can have one set of "universal" Force abilities (lightsaber, telepathy, telekinesis), one set of specific Jedi abilities (saber defense specialization, danger sense etc.) and another specific set of Sith abilities (grip, lightning, exotic lightsabers etc.). Whatever you do, keep the list short in the early going and you can expand it to your tastes as you move forward.

If you want to customize each individual Jedi, you run into the d20 rat trap of skills, feats and all that stuff real quick. I can't think of a much better way to deal with that stuff than that off the top of my head.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

thats why i would do a force skill bundle with 4 specialities: Lightsaber use, sense, alter and control. I really like the layout of the weg star wars game so i would use the combinations of those force "skills" to use as a basis/idea for a force check. that way i keep it simple.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've given more thought to this, but haven't had time to really put much to paper. I need to be independently wealthy so I can spend time working on rpg stuff.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I know that feeling Rigon.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Just an idea.. for really simple simplicity.

either:

add an attribute for FORCE

and Jedi roll 3d6 (or 4d6) ... scruffy looking smuggler types roll maybe 2d6, drioids none... or something...

and any force weilding character just rolls Force siege checks for whatever they want to do.

it's fast and loose, but also simple, fun and narritive in nature... and like any siege game, the default answer is 'yes'/

the ohter idea is to have a Force Plus progression, like a BtH, and then you can have the sith advance faster, but level out and then be slower than jedi... then when light saber is the skill, use FORCE instead of BtH to modify the siege check, Super Jedi jumping? STR + Force +level,... Mind trick = INT + FORCE + level....

this makes Pirmes still matter for jedi and could be interesting.

again.. fast, simple, narrative...

I dunno, what say you?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

DerGolem

Post by DerGolem »

I like the idea of treating force powers broadly but I think you can be even more reductive. The new movies really sell the idea that enhanced senses and reaction times are precognitive, so danger sense, improved senses, second sight and prognostication are all applications of Sensing the Force.

Most psionic rules I've seen lump energy manipulation in with telekinesis, which makes a certain kind of physical sense in addition to being a convenient gaming abstraction. I imagine any manipulation of an external body or energy would be something to the effect of Moving through the Force.

Confusion, suggestion, empathy, invisibility (Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of man? The Jedi knows.) and whatever other mental powers you can dream up lump together nicely as Clouding the Mind.

From a rules perspective, healing seems too narrow a discipline to compare with the others. For balance's sake I'll argue that manipulating a body (yours or someone else's) is one skill from which both healing and fancy running and jumping derive. For lack of a better name, I'll go for Be the Force, which is definitely the slogan for whatever breakfast cereal or sneakers Yoda endorses.

Lightsaber tricks are either a result of a combination of these skills or specific martial training.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

DerGolem wrote:
I like the idea of treating force powers broadly but I think you can be even more reductive. The new movies really sell the idea that enhanced senses and reaction times are precognitive, so danger sense, improved senses, second sight and prognostication are all applications of Sensing the Force.

Most psionic rules I've seen lump energy manipulation in with telekinesis, which makes a certain kind of physical sense in addition to being a convenient gaming abstraction. I imagine any manipulation of an external body or energy would be something to the effect of Moving through the Force.

Confusion, suggestion, empathy, invisibility (Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of man? The Jedi knows.) and whatever other mental powers you can dream up lump together nicely as Clouding the Mind.

From a rules perspective, healing seems too narrow a discipline to compare with the others. For balance's sake I'll argue that manipulating a body (yours or someone else's) is one skill from which both healing and fancy running and jumping derive. For lack of a better name, I'll go for Be the Force, which is definitely the slogan for whatever breakfast cereal or sneakers Yoda endorses.

Lightsaber tricks are either a result of a combination of these skills or specific martial training.

So what you're saying is reduce it to 3 Force skills. Hmm, gotta think on that one.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DerGolem

Post by DerGolem »

I count four or five-- I have no idea what to do with lightsabers. The others are:

Precognition (Sensing the Force)

Psychokinesis (Moving through the Force)

Telepathy and Mental Manipulation (Clouding the Mind)

Psychosomatics (Be the Force)

3 skills is really pushing it, not to mention being overly similar tothe d20 force rules, which only make sense to me from a design perspective.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

The more I think about it, the more I like (of my two ideas) the second one better, making a bonus progression for the force.

or maybe mix that with DerGolem's idea and 2nd ed thief skills. Maybe at each level you get between 2 and 4 "plusses" to dole out to your 3 force skills... (or 3-5 plusses if 4 skills)

FWIW, I'd say lightsaber = BtH, unless you mean like using it telekinetcially, then it's TK, IMO.

I dunno.

I hope some of this helps!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Thoughts on StarSIEGE & Star Wars

Post by Rigon »

Bumping for later perusal.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok, here you go before my brain completely melts down (yeah another long day, and I just got my first case in front of a review officer, a case I can't win ... the next 2 weeks are going to be soooooo fun! )

Like I said in my other thread, I think SS may be a good fit, if only there were ships equipment and kits to work from ...

As I've thought about it, I think using the WEG d6 kits are a start - trimmed down list of kits anyway - for a foundation of 'class templates. But, as they are templates, different skill bundle choices (in the bounderies of the template) can create unique characters.

For the force powers, I think a simplified weg d6 force powers are also a good start. However I'd make some changes:

I like relaxo's 'force attribute' as the start of force skills.

Keeping with WEG d6, I'd have force 'sub skills' of sense, control, and alter. Also, I'd use the force powers from d6, but I'd trim them down and simplify them (it is better in my opinion to have fewer skills and use them ingeniously than have a lot of different specific force powers) Similarly, I'd trim off some of the 'prerequisite' lists of the powers

Now the one area I veer from d6 on is the 'paths' from WOtC SAGA, esp the Jedi. For some reason I like the idea of the Jedi counselor, guardian, sentinel and heck even the Jedi Investigator. Each one could be a separate specific class template

Now as for how to translate from d6 to SS.... not sure there ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've started to get some ideas down. When I have them fleshed out a little more I'll share. But I think SS with very minimal changes can do everything needed for SW.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

You may want to take a look at Stars Without Numbers for some inspiration on how to adapt things... I am creating a character for Penny's Friday game, and I see lots of possibilities, since it also uses skill packages, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:You may want to take a look at Stars Without Numbers for some inspiration on how to adapt things... I am creating a character for Penny's Friday game, and I see lots of possibilities, since it also uses skill packages, etc...
I glanced at it a while ago. I'll have to take another look, but after looking at the SS rules again, there really isn't much that would need to be done to run Star Wars with it. Just some things for Jedi and Force and I've got a pretty good idea how I'd do that. Look for it soonish.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here is what I've come up with in regards to Jedi and the Force.

1st: the Force will be based off of Psi, with Force abilities being Psi powers. Force Powers will be classified into 3 "schools" (Sense, Control, and Alter). Each "school" will have 4 broad powers associated with it. The "schools" are just a way for Jedi to explain how they interact with the Force and has no game advantage.
The 12 Force Powers are Danger Sense (Sense), Empathy (Sense), Sensory Enhancements (Sense), Second Sight (Sense), Lightsaber Control (Control), Physical Enhancements (Control), Telekinesis (Control), Energy Manipulation (Control), Healing (Alter), Confusion (Alter), Telepathy (Alter), and Domination (Alter).

2nd: A Jedi does not have to worry about tracking Drain until they have used a number of powers in a 24 hours span equal to their Force (Psi) score plus their Spiritual score. This gives the Jedi a little more flexibility and little less book keeping.
(Ex: A Jedi with a Force score of 6 and a Spiritual score of +1, could use 7 Force Powers in a 24 hour period before they would have to start tracking Drain and using the Over Channeling rules.)

3rd: All Jedi must select the Empathy (Sense) power at creation. You can't be a Jedi if you can't sense the Force in yourself.

4th: Force Powers can be taken multiple times to increase effects/range/etc. Every time a Force Power is chosen, the Power gains a +1 to the function of the Power.
(Ex: A Jedi takes Lightsaber Control when he is first created. This gives the Jedi a +1 to Defense and a +1 to Melee attacks. After gaining some XP, the Jedi "buys" another "rank" in Lightsaber Control. The Defense and Melee bonus goes up to a +2.)

I chose to do broad powers because they can be used to cover most things that Jedi do. Force Push is Telekinesis. "These aren't the droids you're looking for" is Confusion. Force Lightning is Energy Manipulation.

Let me know what you guys think.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

EDIT: Drat I wrote this post before seeing the above. Nevertheless I'll toss a couple coins into the fountain ...

There is no need to re-invent this wheel. Everything you need to make a Jedi is covered in the Amazing Adventures concept of the Mentalist. Even that sixth sense of danger is included.

Mentalist makes a great fit. The only missing element is the light saber which I think of as more of a weapon than an ability. Easily fixed: take the ordinary saber which does 1d6 damage and supersize it to do 1d8 or 1d10. What kind of damage does it do? Personally I don't care. You can call it whatever you want: force, light, radiation, psionic ... If a check comes up in game (unlikely) make something up on the fly and then stick with your decision.

Yes. I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.

A Jedi doesn't spring out fully formed. That is why they normally begin training when they are small children. As a Jedi gains levels, he or she becomes more proficient (or in game terms gets more powers or more refined powers). I would also suggest that permitting some variety (giving players choice in expressing their inner Jedi) is fine. One Jedi might be better at mind control while another is more into long distance strangulation, for example.

btw. I see long distance strangulation as using fine motor telekinesis ... pinching or crushing the windpipe maybe. That is how -I- would do it. Not that that is something I think about .... well, hardly at all.

Plus, in AA multiclassing is permitted. So, if some random skill I haven't thought of seems more magical than psionic (maybe the Emperor’s unique and lovely lightning fingers, for example) then that character probably took a level or two in the Arcanist class. If a certain Jedi has awesome fighting skills then perhaps they have a level in Raider or Pugilist or something.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

You know P-W, i thought of AA for Star Wars once upon a time, but I don't really like the system for scifi. SS, on the other hand, is a great scifi game that just never got any love the the TLG boys. It's a shame really, they could have done so much more with it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rigon wrote:You know P-W, i thought of AA for Star Wars once upon a time, but I don't really like the system for scifi. SS, on the other hand, is a great scifi game that just never got any love the the TLG boys. It's a shame really, they could have done so much more with it.

R-

As I read your description (which I saw AFTER I posted mine) i thought: Oh, this works. I wasn't really suggesting the whole system of AA -- just cannibalizing the Mentalist description.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:You know P-W, i thought of AA for Star Wars once upon a time, but I don't really like the system for scifi.
R-
I don't think its the system thats the problem so much as that the AA setting assumption is completely different.

As for Stars Without Numbers, with how generalized your approaching the Force Powers, doing something a little more granular like Stars Without Numbers does its Psychic powers it won't be needed.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

"I don't think its the system thats the problem so much as that the AA setting assumption is completely different."

People really do judge books by their covers.

It is unfortunate for the makers of the game that AA comes across as appearing like it can only work for a narrow niche setting. (For the record, I am not arguing for anyone to drop everything and suddenly adopt it.) Just pointing out that a look at the cover and a quick flip through will probably leave most people with a mistaken idea of what it can actually do. At least that is what happened to me. There is so much early 20th C flavour in the cover, illustrations and descriptions that I thought it was suitable ONLY for that setting. I was happily wrong. We didn't seem to have any issues using it with a 21C setting. I have no trouble seeing it used in any time period.

EDIT:
hahahaha Annikin Skywalker probably was part gadgeteer!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

It's not so much that I think AA can only be used for pulp/20th century games, as it's that I prefer skill based games for scifi.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:It's not so much that I think AA can only be used for pulp/20th century games, as it's that I prefer skill based games for scifi.

R-
Well that is part of why I suggested Stars Without Numbers. They have a skill system, but the author has it where you can also run it just like C&C does, Class Skills, roll a SIEGE check. Even though Stars assumes using 2D6 for their skills. Just Stars even says you can get rid of Skills entirely and just have them able to do what makes sense for their class.

As for its Psych system they have a number of disciplines, with 9 power ranks within each of them. Just now I am guessing that is more granularity than your going for.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Yeah, I looked at it again and it was way more structured than I would like to use.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Welllllll, one good thing about setting on a duck pond for 3 hours yesterday, and not seeing a blessed thing, is you have 3 hours to read and think.

With that, I read and reread SS. I even worked up a couple of characters. ... I'll say it was surprisingly easy, even easier than D6.

Rigon, as for your idea on Jedi, I'd argue the SS idea of psi is a bit more limiting than I picture Jedi and the force. With that, I agree with your point 2, but maybe take it a step further ... I don't know how far, but ... I played a little d6 as a Jedi before I started back in your FR game last year. In one fight I used more than 7 force powers much less in a 24 hour period. I wouldn't argue to make them limitless, but more than 7ish.

I do like the idea of having over channeling, esp for dark users and sith ... Maybe it is something a Jedi can do, but tends not to as they know how dangerous it can be ... Hmmm something to think about.

For your force powers, I like the 3 schools and the 4 powers in them, but I think there may be room for more. Not all the powers from D6 e2, or SAGA. I wish I had SW d6 e1 ... It was closer to what you are talking about. Let me look ...

I'd also add making psi score just like an attribute with the -3 to +3 spread

Speaking of that, just because I'm a fiddler with rules ... I'd look at modifying the spread for all attributes to fit the - 4 to +3 (well +4 considering it is a 1 - 20 spread in SS, instead of the - 4 to + 3 topping out at 19 from C&C PHB)

Oh yeah, I'd make light saber a skill instead of psi power. Of course, some of the jedi powers can add to light saber fighting.

2nd oh yeah, nova points / light side force points. I'd look at giving the jedi a bonus to their force rolls equal to their light side points -Of course, a dark user / sith would get the same bonus for dark side points (easy to morph the d6 light and dark side rules). You know, looking at it, this may help in my 1 point, add the user's light side point total to the limit before drain & over channeling ... that might work ... However, I'd argue a dark user / sith doesn't get a full equivalent for dark side points (yes if you use the bonus to their skill / power roll, no to the addition to their limit before drain & over channeling - that is why a sith / dark user is more willing to use over channeling rules).

Of course, a lot of 'rules' from SW d6 will be easy to convert - awarding light / dark side points, effect of cybernetics on force powers etc.

3rd oh yeah, I worked up an idea for light saber duels a couple of years ago, to make it more cinematic instead of just tracking HP like a normal combat. I'll rework them once I see how combat goes a couple of time. I need to see what a realistic point spread in jedi light saber duels are . Mine being a d6 rule where people were tossing 6 - 10 (and more) dice has a point spread of 30+. That may be too big for SS, but until I see a couple of duels, I don't know what is realistic.

Now to the down side of SS ... the trappings ... Good lord, I can't easily figure that stuff out . If we do run with SS for SW, I'm not sure I'd be much help in that area .... I guess once I see a couple of conversions I may be able to morph d6 ships, weapons etc etc etc, but I can't do it right out of the box.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:Welllllll, one good thing about setting on a duck pond for 3 hours yesterday, and not seeing a blessed thing, is you have 3 hours to read and think.

With that, I read and reread SS. I even worked up a couple of characters. ... I'll say it was surprisingly easy, even easier than D6.
That's what I was figuring.
Rigon, as for your idea on Jedi, I'd argue the SS idea of psi is a bit more limiting than I picture Jedi and the force. With that, I agree with your point 2, but maybe take it a step further ... I don't know how far, but ... I played a little d6 as a Jedi before I started back in your FR game last year. In one fight I used more than 7 force powers much less in a 24 hour period. I wouldn't argue to make them limitless, but more than 7ish.
That would be for an inexperienced Jedi. A Jedi that had spent some time (ie, bought more Force (Psi) points) would be able to do more before Drain set in. I would think Luke Skywalker would have had around 5-7 Force score at the beginning of A New Hope and around 10-12 at the end of Return of the Jedi.
I do like the idea of having over channeling, esp for dark users and sith ... Maybe it is something a Jedi can do, but tends not to as they know how dangerous it can be ... Hmmm something to think about.
That would be one way to do it, but I think the Dark Side should be a function of roleplay and not mixed in with the mechanics. If the Force user is using a Force power with an evil intent, then they gain a point of Darkside (you could use the Taint rules to easily track this) and when their Darkside points got to a certain number, they would become Darkside users.
For your force powers, I like the 3 schools and the 4 powers in them, but I think there may be room for more. Not all the powers from D6 e2, or SAGA. I wish I had SW d6 e1 ... It was closer to what you are talking about. Let me look ...
The WEG e1 only had 3-4 powers for each school (Control, Alter, Sense) and they were defined a little differently than what I would do, but it is a fairly good way to do it. And the reason I went with 4 powers is that most, if not all, Jedi Force use can be handled using those broad powers. No need to have dozens of powers when a few will work just as well and encourage creative uses/play.
I'd also add making psi score just like an attribute with the -3 to +3 spread
Why change the core mechanic if it will work as written?
Speaking of that, just because I'm a fiddler with rules ... I'd look at modifying the spread for all attributes to fit the - 4 to +3 (well +4 considering it is a 1 - 20 spread in SS, instead of the - 4 to + 3 topping out at 19 from C&C PHB)
Again, I wouldn't see a need to change this mechanic as the characters get to add stuff to the rolls for Specialties and whatnots, but you could do it that way.
Oh yeah, I'd make light saber a skill instead of psi power. Of course, some of the jedi powers can add to light saber fighting.
I see being able to use a lighsaber effectively as having to do with the Force use, that's why I made it a power. When I get around to doing Trappings for the powers, Lightsaber Control will give a +1 to Defense and to Melee attack rolls. If the Jedi buys more levels of Lightsaber Control, the bonus will go up to +2. Even non-Jedi can use a lightsaber, but that are not as effective as Jedi with one.
2nd oh yeah, nova points / light side force points. I'd look at giving the jedi a bonus to their force rolls equal to their light side points -Of course, a dark user / sith would get the same bonus for dark side points (easy to morph the d6 light and dark side rules). You know, looking at it, this may help in my 1 point, add the user's light side point total to the limit before drain & over channeling ... that might work ... However, I'd argue a dark user / sith doesn't get a full equivalent for dark side points (yes if you use the bonus to their skill / power roll, no to the addition to their limit before drain & over channeling - that is why a sith / dark user is more willing to use over channeling rules).
the only problem I see with tying Nova Points with Force use, what about characters that aren't Force users? How would it effect them?
Of course, a lot of 'rules' from SW d6 will be easy to convert - awarding light / dark side points, effect of cybernetics on force powers etc.
Again, I'd use the Taint score to represent Darkside and award Darkside points based on roleplay/intent.
3rd oh yeah, I worked up an idea for light saber duels a couple of years ago, to make it more cinematic instead of just tracking HP like a normal combat. I'll rework them once I see how combat goes a couple of time. I need to see what a realistic point spread in jedi light saber duels are . Mine being a d6 rule where people were tossing 6 - 10 (and more) dice has a point spread of 30+. That may be too big for SS, but until I see a couple of duels, I don't know what is realistic.
I'd be interested in see that.
Now to the down side of SS ... the trappings ... Good lord, I can't easily figure that stuff out . If we do run with SS for SW, I'm not sure I'd be much help in that area .... I guess once I see a couple of conversions I may be able to morph d6 ships, weapons etc etc etc, but I can't do it right out of the box.
Trapping are a bit difficult to figure out, but for the most part, you wouldn't need to convert anything but names. Most of the stuff is already created, just called something different in SS.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads