Gary Con VIII (2016)

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Ancalagon
Ulthal

Re: Gary Con VIII (2016)

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:Excellent! Very much looking forward to Gary Con 2016.
Airfare - CHECK!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The event catalog is supposed to be posted today with registration this Saturday. Good luck! I'm not registering for events this year. I'm just going to show up, jump into games, and have a great time.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

We've got a bit of a dip in C&C events from last year. There are 15 C&C events currently in the event catalog, not counting the C&C tournament and 2 sessions of Dr. Who RPG that are mistakenly listed as being C&C events.

You can currently view the event catalog at Event Catalog.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Buttmonkey wrote:We've got a bit of a dip in C&C events from last year. There are 15 C&C events currently in the event catalog, not counting the C&C tournament and 2 sessions of Dr. Who RPG that are mistakenly listed as being C&C events.

You can currently view the event catalog at Event Catalog.
That number is lower because GaryCon lost 8 C&C events that I normally run each year, but gained the C&C Tournament instead which has a total of 14 events. Counting those would make 29 C&C events which is close to last year.
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Registration has been pushed back a week.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Brian Miller so is a person suppose to register for each event for the tourney? Sorry if already answered.

Edit: Never mind it says in the description I think.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

thenorthman wrote:Brian Miller so is a person suppose to register for each event for the tourney? Sorry if already answered.

Edit: Never mind it says in the description I think.

To enter the C&C tournament, all you have to do is register for one first round event slot. There are 4 time slots to choose from: 8am-noon, noon-4pm, 4pm-8pm, 8pm-midnight.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

We may be down from last year, but 15 is still a pretty fair number. I have 3? games on the schedule, I think. Either way, Troll Lord Games appreciates all of our participating CK's. We look forward to seeing all of you at Gary Con. :D

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Brian, when are you going to disseminate the tournament module to the CKs?

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Buttmonkey wrote:Brian, when are you going to disseminate the tournament module to the CKs?
Early February.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

So, registration was a debacle again yesterday. I'm really glad I decided not to preregister for any events this year. I was spared a great deal of frustration.

I am generally a Gary Con proselytizer and apologist. I sing Gary Con's praises all over the place. But it gets harder to do that without embarrassing myself when registration implodes every year. There have been serious registration snafus the last 3 years. They keep saying they are going to fix it, but then they just screw up in new ways. I'm very demoralized. The con is so great and it will be wonderful again this year once it starts, but the next few days are definitely going to sting. I wish I could defend the con to the angry attendees who are complaining about the registration mess over the last couple weeks, but I just can't. :(

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I had a great time at GC last year and spread the word about it to ALL my gamer friends... but GC had 11 months to put in place and test a system to handle event registration for what I estimate to be less than 1,500 people and the results only worsened. Many folks are still waiting find out if they even have events in their account. I'm hoping for the best for everyone but there is no need for anyone to defend continued poor performance.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Nothing wrong with just doing pick up games. I'd just be happy if I could successfully pre purchase a Convention badge. They STILL haven't responded to my messages, and it has been weeks. If I cannot successfully pre buy, I am not going to risk driving all the way up there from AZ just to find out I can't get in due to being sold out.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

The risk with pick up games is not knowing what one will be able to find. Since I'm spending $$$ on airfare, rental car, and hotel room, I prefer to register for events that interest me and not have to be concerned with hunting for pick up games that may or may not interest me.

For your badge issue, I think the silver level badges are unlimited on a advanced registration basis but not certain about at-the-door sign ups. If you don't already have some type of housing set up you may be in a bit of a bind on where to stay each night. Its pretty sloppy for no one at the con to get back to you. Good luck.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ancalagon wrote:The risk with pick up games is not knowing what one will be able to find. Since I'm spending $$$ on airfare, rental car, and hotel room, I prefer to register for events that interest me and not have to be concerned with hunting for pick up games that may or may not interest me.

For your badge issue, I think the silver level badges are unlimited on a advanced registration basis but not certain about at-the-door sign ups. If you don't already have some type of housing set up you may be in a bit of a bind on where to stay each night. Its pretty sloppy for no one at the con to get back to you. Good luck.
I always go without signing up in advance. I always manage to find plenty of games to get in on.

I also already have room arranged, with a fellow board member. I'll look into what they say about the Silver badges.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Let me know if not able to make it Treebore.

I did get us access to some lounge......which sounds like it does give access to food if going on the cheap.....comes with the room. Well it was extra but wasn't going to ask to split that portion since it's something I wanted to do.

Was going to mention I am renting a super crew type truck from ORD and have one passenger already the chimed in but see you plan on driving. I charged him $35 from airport to hotel then back Monday. To help with gas and what not. His flight comes in 7pm Wednesday night.

Anyone else looking for a ride for $35? Easily handle two more folks.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

According to an e-mail the Gary Con folks sent out today, they are working on the issues, but currently do not have the "check out" option fixed yet. So hopefully that will be done in a day or two, and all my anxieties will be put to rest.

Yeah, Northman, we are driving up there because we are dropping off a new Service Dog in Oklahoma City on the way up there. Going to be putting a LOT of miles on my car again...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Still getting a 404 error when I try to buy a badge. :cry:

I hope they get it fixed soon.

BTW, mapped out the drive today. Its 26 hours of actual driving. So I will likely break it up into 3 days of driving each way. Plus add in a day or two on the way up there for dropping off the Service Dog.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

You can't buy a badge right now. All purchasing of badges and events is temporarily suspended while they untangle the registration mess from Saturday. There will be an announcement when the shopping side of the site turns back on.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Got an e-mail saying we should be able to start buying badges again starting on Sunday.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Wahoo! There was an event I want to add to my schedule.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Have two tickets for Tyler's Sat. 6:00 Pot of Broken Bones and Halfling Broth C&C game that we won't be using (don't worry Tyler, we're in your Fri. nite game) - before I send a cancel is there anyone who would want them and I can just hand off and they be guaranteed to get them?
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

seskis281 wrote:Have two tickets for Tyler's Sat. 6:00 Pot of Broken Bones and Halfling Broth C&C game that we won't be using (don't worry Tyler, we're in your Fri. nite game) - before I send a cancel is there anyone who would want them and I can just hand off and they be guaranteed to get them?

Hmmm... my cuz, miller6, would need to let me know if I would have that time slot open, since I am helping him run his C&C tournament games... if I do, I'd like to play.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Tree I'll just hold on to 'em for the time being - they're yours if your timing works out. :)
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
seskis281 wrote:Have two tickets for Tyler's Sat. 6:00 Pot of Broken Bones and Halfling Broth C&C game that we won't be using (don't worry Tyler, we're in your Fri. nite game) - before I send a cancel is there anyone who would want them and I can just hand off and they be guaranteed to get them?

Hmmm... my cuz, miller6, would need to let me know if I would have that time slot open, since I am helping him run his C&C tournament games... if I do, I'd like to play.

The C&C tournament awards ceremony ends at 5pm saturday so I see no reason you couldn't make a 6pm sat game. I will need you multiple slots thurs and friday.

Brian

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There ya go! I'll take them! Thanks, John!

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Treebore were you and your wife needing the bedroom of the suite or you okay with the king size pull out bed?

Reason I ask is the bedroom has two beds and there is a friend of mine posting looking for a roommate and was going to offer him to join us. Which would be easiest if he and I took the bedroom with the two beds. He currently has a room off site as well.

Make the trip a little cheaper.

I am fine either way though.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Treebore wrote:There ya go! I'll take them! Thanks, John!
Mona and I will be there Friday mid-day, so after I pick up my tickets I'll give them to ya! Looking forward to seeing you again 8-)
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

thenorthman wrote:Treebore were you and your wife needing the bedroom of the suite or you okay with the king size pull out bed?

Reason I ask is the bedroom has two beds and there is a friend of mine posting looking for a roommate and was going to offer him to join us. Which would be easiest if he and I took the bedroom with the two beds. He currently has a room off site as well.

Make the trip a little cheaper.

I am fine either way though.
With my wife's and I disability issues, its best if we get the bedroom.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

seskis281 wrote:
Treebore wrote:There ya go! I'll take them! Thanks, John!
Mona and I will be there Friday mid-day, so after I pick up my tickets I'll give them to ya! Looking forward to seeing you again 8-)
Yeah, we plan on getting their late Wednesday.