Quick question about AA + CC

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
marroon69
Mist Elf

Quick question about AA + CC

Post by marroon69 »

Has anyone put some thought into mixing Amazing Adventures and Castles and Crusades? Bringing shotguns into you fantasy setting? or mixing magic into your pulp game? I know the base systems are the same but are they really interchangeable? I new to both games....kickstarter vaulted me into both pretty quickly so I am learning...now that have both I thought of great idea to combine them in sort of post-civilization type of setting

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Re: Quick question about AA + CC

Post by maasenstodt »

marroon69 wrote:Has anyone put some thought into mixing Amazing Adventures and Castles and Crusades? Bringing shotguns into you fantasy setting? or mixing magic into your pulp game? I know the base systems are the same but are they really interchangeable? I new to both games....kickstarter vaulted me into both pretty quickly so I am learning...now that have both I thought of great idea to combine them in sort of post-civilization type of setting
While I'm waiting on the AA books to arrive before figuring out how it might work, I've had very similar thoughts about using a combination of the games to run a post-apocalyptic themed game.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

marroon69 wrote:Has anyone put some thought into mixing Amazing Adventures and Castles and Crusades? Bringing shotguns into you fantasy setting?
I don't think you need another system to bring in the occasional shotgun. It's just another weapon. GM's been doing it forever in D&D type games.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

marroon69 wrote:Bringing shotguns into you fantasy setting? or mixing magic into your pulp game?
Interesting, now to stat out the Deadites.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Need a chainsaw hand if you're going to get Ash.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Why yes. Yes, I have thought about mixing AA and C&C.

There are, in fact, guidelines to do so in the Companion. ;)

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I use the AA Mentalist, Gumshoe, and Raider in my C&C game. I just made minor adjustments for Armor and weapons.

JLL

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

my understanding is that AA was designed with this in mind.
I'd say the Arcanist would be a great class in CC, for one example.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

lobocastle wrote:I use the AA Mentalist, Gumshoe, and Raider in my C&C game. I just made minor adjustments for Armor and weapons.

JLL
And really, that's the key. You just need to make some flavor adjustments and add armor and weapon proficiencies and any class from AA should transport over to C&C. The new classes in the Companion even moreso, in some cases.

azcromntic
Ungern

Post by azcromntic »

I just found this old thread (and I haven't even read through it yet). I am currently running a campaign where Sci-Fi (AA characters with Star Fronteirs races) are in the Haunted Highlands Fantasy setting. It's going very well except for a couple players (came from D&D 5th play) who think the rules are too restrictive. Regardless of them the other players are enjoying it. The only thing I see as an issue so far is the damage the futuristic weapons can do. I've considered changing the damage for the AA weapons to be a bit lower e.g. a gloc machine pistol does 1d10 (wow!) and on a 5 round burst the average so far is 2d10 damage; to me that is too much.

We have had issues with the Gadgeteer class and creating gadgets but I think that is mostly due to the player than the rules or the setting.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

azcromntic wrote:I just found this old thread (and I haven't even read through it yet). I am currently running a campaign where Sci-Fi (AA characters with Star Fronteirs races) are in the Haunted Highlands Fantasy setting. It's going very well except for a couple players (came from D&D 5th play) who think the rules are too restrictive. Regardless of them the other players are enjoying it. The only thing I see as an issue so far is the damage the futuristic weapons can do. I've considered changing the damage for the AA weapons to be a bit lower e.g. a gloc machine pistol does 1d10 (wow!) and on a 5 round burst the average so far is 2d10 damage; to me that is too much.

We have had issues with the Gadgeteer class and creating gadgets but I think that is mostly due to the player than the rules or the setting.
AA/C&C RESTRICTIVE compared to D&D?? Where are they getting that, considering that you can literally try anything in the SIEGE engine, just by making an attribute check??

Point out the following to them:

In D&D, if it's not expressly on your character sheet, you can't do it.

In C&C/AA, if it's not expressly FORBIDDEN, you are encouraged to try it.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The Grey Elf wrote:Point out the following to them:

In D&D, if it's not expressly on your character sheet, you can't do it.
That's actually not true with 5E. You can try to do it, but you take a -2 penalty. I still think C&C is better, FWIW.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

azcromntic
Ungern

Post by azcromntic »

I personally think it's just an excuse to get out of the game either because I suck as a GM (which I don't suck that bad) or they are just trying to pump me to give them more "power" so to speak; they're spoiled. I guess one guy who had been DM'ing D&D 3.5 for like 30 years ~might~ have a legitimate excuse since to him C & C rules are "pretty much just like 3.5"; in his mind it's old hat.

Anyway....

I also noticed that in AA the weapons get an Accuracy bonus that "ranged" weapons in C&C do not. I'm going to drop the use of the Accuracy for AA except if the player says "I'm taking aim" or something like that. If they are intentionally "aiming" or trying to do a head shot or something that would indicate to me the need to focus on the sight picture then I'd give them the Accuracy bonus to hit. Likewise, if C&C characters said something like "I aim for his ..." well, then that is like the AIM combat maneuver and I could justify some kind of bonus for that attack.

Just my two cents. Thanks!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

I responded to your thread about accuracy and guns below.

Short answer: Guns are supposed to outclass ancient weapons, just like they do in the real world. That's the point of them. It's a feature, not a bug.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

FYI, I moved the continuing discussion of this to the other thread, just to keep things in one place.