What are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I enjoyed the first book, wavered on the second, and now, well, I am disappoint. The Black Company series, of course, is awesome. I’ve read the first Garrett, P.I. novel, and really need to follow up on the rest of the series. So fun.
Buttmonkey wrote: I seriously LOVE me some Glen Cook, but I couldn't get into the Instrumentalities of the Night series. I abandoned ship maybe 20% of the way through the first volume. That reminds me that I should go reread all of his Garrett, P.I. novels. Those are wonderful.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

How very cool!
tylermo wrote:Somebody mentioned reading Bradbury? I interviewed him (via phone) about 13 years ago. That was back in my talk radio years. I have three books autographed by him. Same for Arthur C. Clarke. I think both of those were in the same year, and that's not including my usual once or twice a year Stan Lee interviews (at that time). :)

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:I enjoyed the first book, wavered on the second, and now, well, I am disappoint. The Black Company series, of course, is awesome. I’ve read the first Garrett, P.I. novel, and really need to follow up on the rest of the series. So fun.
Buttmonkey wrote: I seriously LOVE me some Glen Cook, but I couldn't get into the Instrumentalities of the Night series. I abandoned ship maybe 20% of the way through the first volume. That reminds me that I should go reread all of his Garrett, P.I. novels. Those are wonderful.
You really, really do. The Garrett novels are his best work IMO. They don't quite reach the highs of the first 3 Black Company novels, but they are consistently great. Kind of like the TV show Scrubs. That show was always a solid A- or A. It never had a mediocre episode even if it didn't hit A+ levels.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Re-reading the Cadfael series - 21 books.

I've re-read many series in the past, but never did this ~ where I read the series and then immediately started it again. But it's so worth it, being that there is so much excellent material, plot devices, dialogue, history, atmosphere, character development . . etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a tremendous series of books by Ellis Peters. Just brilliant!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Amber and Ashes, by Margaret Weis.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

The original Conan series by Howard.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Yes! So good!

Currently reading The State of Play: Creators and Critics on Video Game Culture. Definitely thought-provoking and interesting.
maximus wrote:The original Conan series by Howard.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Yes! So good!

Currently reading The State of Play: Creators and Critics on Video Game Culture. Definitely thought-provoking and interesting.
maximus wrote:The original Conan series by Howard.
I haven't read Conan in about 35 years. I read all the books that L Sprague de Camp edited/finished, etc, but thought I would go back and read just the Howard stuff. Great so far!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Amber and Ashes is freaking KILLER!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Ashes.jpg
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Supply Chain Management - A Logistics Perspective :geek:
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Started Lawrence's Prince of Thorns. So far, so good. Nice and grim. Gave me the idea that the next time I get a bunch of murderhobos in my campaign, I'm just going to fill the game with NPCs, monsters, and plots so much more vile than them. Basically, to out-murderhobo the murderhobos.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Black's Law Dictionary.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

serleran wrote:Black's Law Dictionary.
Oh, that is such not a good read. Tedious, plus a large chunk (vast majority?) of its entries are archaic with minimal utility unless you want to read judicial opinions from the pre-1800s.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Buttmonkey wrote:
serleran wrote:Black's Law Dictionary.
Oh, that is such not a good read. Tedious, plus a large chunk (vast majority?) of its entries are archaic with minimal utility unless you want to read judicial opinions from the pre-1800s.
That is precisely why I want to read it. It helps to provide a sense of living verisimilitude.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm LOVIN' the Xenozoic comic compilation. aka: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

I'm a fan o' all things post-apoc, and this' plain awesome.

http://fleskpublications.com/blog/wp-co ... chultz.jpg

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Started reading Empire of Imagination, the Gygax biography. So far it's a really interesting read. The novel-like tone is a bit off-putting at first, but the author sounds like he really did his research.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Ashes and Iron.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Started reading Empire of Imagination, the Gygax biography. So far it's a really interesting read. The novel-like tone is a bit off-putting at first, but the author sounds like he really did his research.
Cool. Just purchased this. I had a chance to page through it last month and decided to get it after seeing your comments.

:P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I've been reading and enjoying, Life Below Stairs by Alison Maloney. A book about service during the Edwardian era. Very interesting and well written if you like history and if your're a Downton Abbey fan then it's a must read.

:P

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:Dragons of Autumn Twilight.
Excellent series. Loved 'em.

[Many thanks to Jaybird who sent me the books when we were playing in Rigon's DL game]

8-)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Started reading Empire of Imagination, the Gygax biography. So far it's a really interesting read. The novel-like tone is a bit off-putting at first, but the author sounds like he really did his research.
I'm reading it now and so far, so good!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

How is it? I've only read Doyle's Holmes tales.
maximus wrote:The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:How is it? I've only read Doyle's Holmes tales.
maximus wrote:The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Only a few chapters in so far, but I like it. I've always been a big history buff, and after a suggestion from someone over at DF, this looked like a good one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

Rhuvein wrote:
I'm reading it now and so far, so good!

Yeah, I really liked this, I burned through it in just a couple of sittings. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know the background of the game and the man behind it. Oddly, it got me eager to re-read some R.E.H. because of the "What would Conan do?" bits.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Bring the Jubilee.

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

M.R. James' "More Ghost Stories" (having just finished "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary").
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

M.R. James' stuff is quite excellent!

I'm currently reading Finn Fancy Necromancy, which is sort-of like Ready Player One in Urban Fantasy form, in that it's very much an homage to 80s pop culture.
clavis123 wrote:M.R. James' "More Ghost Stories" (having just finished "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary").

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:M.R. James' stuff is quite excellent!
I agree! I'm surprised at myself that it's taken me this long to actually read James. I was such a huge Lovecraft fan when I was younger, and James' influence on Lovercraft is obvious (especially in stories like "The Shunned House").
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.