What current setting do you use for your C&C games?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I hear ya on the homebrew. I fear my poor Karstlands will languis forever. I may just run it and tailor my module collection to it. I had tried combining it with Airdhe but it is more suited to being combined with Inzae due to it's fierceness.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

If I could find a group that would play C&C, I'd run an old-school Greyhawk campaign and convert classic adventures to my heavily-houseruled version of C&C.

I'm kinda involved in a core C&C Greyhawk campaign but, in 18 months or so, we've played 4 times or so... not really what you'd call a regular game.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

1. Yggsburgh/Greyhawk

2. Yggsburgh/Homebrew (although it's moving out of the Yggsburgh area, now, and I'm considering morphing the homebrew with the Wilderlands -- I think I could pull it off without anyone realizing that it wasn't that way all along...)

3. Wilderlands (Ghinor).

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nelzie wrote:
A society of "Gypsy" like Halflings and Humans living in large traveling wagon/cart cities mixed with a nice touch of Mongol Horseman.

Very nice. Aihrde has got gypsies and I'd like to develop them more in my campaign world.

[I'll most likely be running Lion in the Ropes next!]

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

Rhuvein wrote:
Very nice. Aihrde has got gypsies and I'd like to develop them more in my campaign world.

[I'll most likely be running Lion in the Ropes next!]

EDIT: Thank you. Here's some more about those Halflings and the Humans they live shoulder to shoulder with.

The Lands of the Rovani is a mostly human and halfling land, with only one "permanent" city, which is near the center of the Rovani Lands. It has a handful of permanent structures that are lived in mostly by outsiders and visitors. The rest of the city could change several times through the course of a month and could even change once or twice in the course of a day as Rovani and Halfling Rovani come and go in their traveling wagons. Beyond that, it is a remarkably beautifully chaotic city always filled with swirling colors of Rovani traveling to and fro, the rustling of large silk banners, tapestries and flags as well as filled with the sounds and smells of a thriving active culture. (Can you guess what the "normal" alignment for a typical Rovani and Rovani Halfling happens to be?)

Dotting the land are a number of spots that would look to be good places to build cities and villages and sometimes a traveler may come across what looks like a normal village or city, but built out of wagons and tent topped wooden structures. At times travelers may make camp in one of these places and awaken in the morning to either see the village or town completely gone.

Rovani are excellent horseman and have an amazing communication network that can get word from one side of their large lands to the other within a 3 to 5 days over land, where it would take the average traveler more than a few weeks to cross from border to border. It is through this communication network that someone can place a request for nearly anything that is available within the Lands of the Rovani and expect to be able to see it within a week to two weeks at most. Their horseman are renown across the Western Lands as the very best and have been hired out in times of war to help whole armies cross large tracts of land far quicker than they otherwise would.

It's rare to see a Rovani or Rovani Halfling settle in one area for more than a few months, the roads and the lands beckon them with great strength.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice write up Nelzie. That some good inspiration for a psuedo historical game I'm going to run in the next few months. Thx.
.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

Omote wrote:
Nice write up Nelzie. That some good inspiration for a psuedo historical game I'm going to run in the next few months. Thx.
.............................................Omote

FPQ

Check out my website. www.nelzie.net It's all pseudo historical, that utilizes a number of base assumptions inherent in C&C with a few changes.

The cosmology of the world if based upon the Elemental Planes. There are no Devils, Demons or Angellic beings. The Gods of Man are more like Demi-Gods in regards to power level in traditional D&D Worlds and the Dark Gods are the closest thing to Devils and Demons in terms of looks and are on the same power level as the Gods of Man.

The Elemental Planes each have a number of "Elemental Lords" who are slightly less powerful than the Gods of Man and have been "sealed" away onto their individual planes and constantly bicker and fight amongst themselves. (None of the Elemental Planes connect with one another so the bickering and fighting all happens internally between, for example, a dozen or more different Elemental Lords of Fire.)

I have a forum where I have gone "in depth" about some of the aspects of the world as well as static pages with briefs about the different human cultures and their basic outlooks on life. The "default" time period takes place roughly 200 years after the last great threat to Man by the Dark Gods and their followers, the Kingdoms of Man have entered a sort of overly relaxed peaceful period that includes working towards reclaiming lands lost in that great conflict. (There are whole sections of Baronies and tracts of lands that humans simply haven't tread much within the last 200 years, since the majority of the populations were destroyed in that great conflict.) Certain Baronies are like donuts in terms of what is and what isn't settled, the borders may well be secured and have cities, towns and villages, yet there are plenty of things that go bump in the night living in the central regions that have gone wild in time.

Magic is fairly common, Engineers and Farmers for instance, know "ritual magic" which allows for the quick construction of buildings, fortifications and roads as well as upwards of three harvests each season of farming. These spells can take upwards of 8 hours to prepare and cast and are totally useless in combat/adventuring and thus don't need to be fleshed out in any fashion, it's all about flavor right there. (They still require the use of "Traditional Tools" as well as "Traditional Materials", so it's not like an Engineer causes stones to form out of nothing crafting a castle wall.)

Magical items aren't necesarily produced in the "Traditional" method as well. Great heroes attract "magical energy" as well as the attention of the Gods of Man (or the Dark Gods if they are Villains), through the tales of their deeds. This leads to their equipment becoming "Heroicl Imbued". There is no real limit to the power that such items can carry and when the PC loses or misplaces the item, that power is lost on that item and may transfer to a replacement after a short time as their legend continues. If they are buried with their item, the legend of the power the item had can cause the item to retain some, but not all of its abilities. There are traditional magical items, they are just not able to become as powerful as Heroicly Imbued items and are slightly rare or common and "mundane" in nature, because Heroes don't usually run around commissioning powerful magical items to be made. This serves two purposes, it stops the "Golfbag of Weapons" and "Horsecart filled with Armor" syndrome and it keeps PCs from constantly needing to upgrade/replace weapons and equipment. I also tend to keep treasure a little lighter, since there are no real "magic" shops to blow 60,000 Gold Pieces on a Magical Blade, Shield or Suit of Armor. (The economy ends up feeling a little more realistic.)

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

lawful stoopid

Post by lawful stoopid »

Home Brew(kind of a lil of Sosaria, Greyhawk, Conan and any other world I can snatch from)

Greyhawk

Blackmoor

Snaebjorn

Post by Snaebjorn »

Chello!

Toneeze Wurld, of course!

mount sky

Homebrew!

Post by mount sky »

My Sovereign Realm of Dalryn is shaping up nicely. I'm heavily influenced by Arduin, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Call of Cthulhu. So far, six sessions in, we're running a traditional "go to the dungeon and get the Maguffin" game, which suits my players well, since they aren't very experienced.

Behind the scenes, I've been developing deep plot arcs and campaign NPCs, which will be revealed over time. I'm also planning to start two more groups, so I'll be able to put them in different home areas and thus develop different areas simultaneously. One of the group will be for high school students who hang out at the FLGS. I'm looking forward to that one. Another is some of the players from my main group plus a few new people. My goal is to run 4-6 sessions a month between all of the groups.

I've also got a PBP game in the works on the campaign website, www(dot)dalryn(dot)com based in the coastal merchantile city of Mistvale.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What current setting do you use for your C&C games?

Post by slimykuotoan »

Bump
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My next on line campaign is set on the demi plane of Ravenloft, using the 3E assumptions. My face to face game is a sand box, so haven't reeally determined what "world" I have it in. So far I am using the Thieves World boxed set and the d20 Bards Gate as the two main cities.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Face-to-face game: Aihrde
Play-by-Post #1: Homebrew Urban Setting, "Stormhaven"
Play-by-Post #2: Haunted Highlands

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm kinda in a C&C lull right now. My current campaign is on hold giving some other folks the chance to run some games. When my game resumes it will be back in the ole' Lost Lands setting from Frog God Games. I've been sticking with that setting for a long time now, and they keep releasing damn good stuff.

Though, at some point I think I am going to switch over to Birthright as my main setting. I've been threatening for a while, and it seems like the time. Though, a C&C DarkSun-itch has recently crept into my brain.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Using Greyhawk as the home campaign. I've got younger players so everything is still new to them. I've thrown in a few things from other settings, but mostly straight 1E stuff converted.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Running a Kingdoms of Kalamar game right now and playing in Greyhawk.

O, if you are itchin' for some DS, check out my C&C adaptation fort the setting.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Quertas
Hlobane Orc

Post by Quertas »

dragonlance all the way..
currently attempting my first ck and module..
key of destiny..

i took maps of ansalon and used hexographer ( i think thats what ti is called) and made i think about 500 plus maps.. with each hex being a mile and each amp being about 24miles by 24 miels.. took me a while but well worth it..
will be using it this friday in my game

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Assume the world is as it was in about 900 AD less Rome and Christianity taking over and all those various cultural ancient religions, beliefs, and superstitions are all "real"... if you think of the English Country side as being "Middle Earth" then you're pretty close to the right global setting, just expand it to the greater world and their unique cultures.

So if you want to play an Elven Archer from the Celtic Lands, a Druid who happens to be a Gnome from Finland riding a reindeer, a Viking from Normandy (Dwarven), a Japanese Samurai (human), a 1/2 Orc Paladin devoted to Anubis, a professional gambler/messenger/priest of Hermes (1/2 elf) or even a Hobbit Shaolin Monk,... its all possible.

Maps, histories, Gods.. its all there nothing "new" to learn.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Omote wrote:I'm kinda in a C&C lull right now. My current campaign is on hold giving some other folks the chance to run some games. When my game resumes it will be back in the ole' Lost Lands setting from Frog God Games. I've been sticking with that setting for a long time now, and they keep releasing damn good stuff.

Though, at some point I think I am going to switch over to Birthright as my main setting. I've been threatening for a while, and it seems like the time. Though, a C&C DarkSun-itch has recently crept into my brain.

~O
I was wishing I picked up some of the Lost Lands. I did participate in the Borderland Provinces. I'm having trouble finding a lot of info on the the campaign and what I should get.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

I'm currently looking to use Judge Guild with some Haunted Hills materials.
Possibly switching over or using The Lost Lands.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There isn't a centralized campaign setting yet for the Lost Lands proper. There are a lot of connected supplements and adventures, that will eventually be put into a singular, true campaign setting. Right now, Borderland Provinces is the closest thing to a Lost Lands setting that we have, and that portion will only be a small part of the overall setting.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Always a homebrew. Currently in development.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I don't always play C&C, but when I do, I use a homebrew campaign world.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Still slowly working on a new setting where I am ripping off former pop culture and TORG. That is, each major country has a series of specific Laws that apply to characters created from it, and get imposed on those who enter... unless one builds a "reality bubble."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

A series Airhde.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

It used to be Greyhawk for me, but now it's all Aihrde.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Captain K damn near hit my world on the head.

I call it Mythic Earth. it is set in the 8th century, with Rome sacked and diminished.
I use real world maps and myths and draw heavily from the codex's and everything from HackMaster to PathFinder.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I pretty much switch between Greyhawk and FR these days and try to pick from the D&D 'Universe' when deciding on one.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Dead Horse, I'm with you baby.. its all drawn from there most times, why not let the history speak for itself. I guess I'm just not enterprising enough to do the whole world thing with all new gods and such and every line must be mine.. seems like too much work when so much exists. Just me though... to each their own.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

This weekend we'll be kicking off a new C&C campaign using Kevin Crawford's Red Tide setting.