What current setting do you use for your C&C games?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Omote
Battle Stag

Re: What current setting do you use for your C&C games?

Post by Omote »

I need to kick off a new C&C campaign real soon. Just waiting for a slot to open up in my gaming group. Since my last campaign ended in November, I have been pouring my downtime into the depths of the Birthright setting. I don't have a lot of inspiration yet to do all of the conversion work necessary for such a thing. I'd much rather wing it, but my players like a little bit more crunch to their C&C games. Yoy.

Anyway, Birthright I think it shall be!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Captain K,

What really got me to using good old earth was "why create legends and myths" The real world is full of them.
I can look up real topographical maps for mapping. the 1st ed AD&D MM makes alot more sense with its real world notes on monsters. (see Rakshasha for example)

WHy re invent the wheel?
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

dcfitch
Ungern

Post by dcfitch »

Dead Horse,

I have always been interested in using a "fantasy earth" as a setting, but I have yet to pull the trigger. What period of "history" do you use? Ancient? Medieval?

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

My time period is 7th century Europe. after the first sack of Rome. in my world Rome withdrew from most of Europe after being sacked.

check this site for European countries over time. It is really cool tool.

http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/700/index.html

I have run 2 campaigns in Celtic England and one in France.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

My own, but occasionally I interject Learth and Aldrazar stuff. Once upon a time I used Greyhawk, but almost exclusively my own.
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

Aihrde. I enjoyed the A-series. I further enjoyed the Codex of Aihrde. My group is on A11 and after A12 we're putting the current game on pause and running a new group of characters through a homebrew series of adventures still set in Aihrde. It will run "concurrently" with the old game, and the new group is working for the old group, unraveling mysteries of Aihrde.
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

Gunbunny
Mist Elf

Post by Gunbunny »

Gonna be Greyhawk for me!

trechriron
Mist Elf

Post by trechriron »

Really digging Aihrde! We had our 2nd session on SAT, and it was a blast. Super rich world.
Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Dreamer, RPG Enthusiast
My Blog

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

My upcoming campaign will be returning to Yggsburgh and hopefully building on what was presented
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I am currently romping some unsuspecting poor fellows in Kingdoms o Kalamar. We are doing a bunch of 1e mods for fun.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote: ... . We are doing a bunch of 1e mods for fun.

R-

For fun .... you mean "Ooooooo poop a room full of Drow ! Quick close the door & lock it, .... what do you mean it won't lock .... Ooooooo poop!" ;)

Yes, it is a blast!

JG - Yggsburgh great city .... Always wanted to play there.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I am currently using Achtung! Cthulhu as the stage for my Shadowrun game.

But, for C&C...

Hmm.

I suppose there's really no world. Just a massive dungeon. Only one settlement thus far.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I use the "Grey" Box Forgotten Realms for C&C. I love reading about Aihrde, but for some reason the 1st Edition FR Box Set does it for me when playing C&C.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Well, I have given up on trying to like Aihrde. It's back to the Realms for me.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Lord Dynel wrote:I use the "Grey" Box Forgotten Realms for C&C. I love reading about Aihrde, but for some reason the 1st Edition FR Box Set does it for me when playing C&C.

Gray box and some of the following 1e area expansion books are the best published setting I ever ran (back in the day) or played in regardless of the rules used.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:I use the "Grey" Box Forgotten Realms for C&C. I love reading about Aihrde, but for some reason the 1st Edition FR Box Set does it for me when playing C&C.

Gray box and some of the following 1e area expansion books are the best published setting I ever ran (back in the day) or played in regardless of the rules used.
I love running Grey Box FR. It's my go to setting. But someday, I'll run an Aihrde game. Someday...

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

bestialwarlust
Mist Elf

Post by bestialwarlust »

Currently in Greyhawk, though later I my try HH or even Greybox Realms.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Rigon wrote:
Lurker wrote:

I love running Grey Box FR. It's my go to setting. But someday, I'll run an Aihrde game. Someday...

R-
Absolutely agree, fellas. Up through about FR6 (which, coincidentially, enompasses the 1st Edition stuff) the product line is stellar. Even afterwards, there are some gems (Dwarves Deep sticks out) in the series, but that Grey box is some of the best. And it fits so well ith C&C! Assassins, monks, illusionists, no skill system, half-orcs...I replace any instances of cavaliers for knights and I'm good to go!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Home world, see Crusades 9th hour social diversion society early posts.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

jeffb
Ungern

Post by jeffb »

I dig and have used a whole bunch of settings...

But specifically for C&C I have used Haunted Highlands, Aihrde (when using an A series module from TLG), and my homebrew Forgotten Realms (which is essentially the OGB, with a few bits or places or plots from later FR materials like the Volo Guides, or Elminster's Guide to the FR, etc...it's kinda like The Realms meets The Wilderlands).

Looks like C&C is going to be the strong contender (Highly modified) for a mid-Third Age Middle Earth game I am trying to get together using old ICE MERP materials (Arthedain vs.Angmar time period..or slightly after the fall of both..)

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I use Amazing Adventures (AA) for my Shannara campaign. I am using a combination of C&C, AA, and Victorious (V) for my Lone Wolf campaign. I also am using AA and V for my home-brew campaign world, Natura Mundus.

JLL

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

lobocastle wrote:I use Amazing Adventures (AA) for my Shannara campaign. I am using a combination of C&C, AA, and Victorious (V) for my Lone Wolf campaign. I also am using AA and V for my home-brew campaign world, Natura Mundus.

JLL
Do you have this written up so we can see how you went about combining them?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Treebore,

No, at this time I have not written down my combining process. I will also say that I am changing my base line from C&C to AA. I have been impressed with the material from the AA Kickstarter. The new AA book has more than 30 added pages of material. The AA Companion Book has 162 pages of useful material including several new character classes that I like. Now, AA has added the Book of Powers, which gives me even more ideas to build or support my non traditional game worlds. So I will now start with AA as my base and add information or game mechanics mostly from Victorious.

I believe most of the character classes in AA are slightly more powerful than the C&C classes. They certainly have more utility such as the Raider and Gumshoe compared to the C&C Fighter. Frankly, I need to get a better handle on Victorious. I like Victorious, but most of my role playing experience is with defined character classes so I will need create and try out some characters from Victorious. For now I pick items from Victorious and add them based upon the game world setting.

JLL

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I've had 4? sessions of running people through the A-series. So I guess we're using Aihrde, the associated maps, and bits of the Codex when needed.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I have been checking out Primeval Thule. It is set in Greenland 300 years after Atlantis sank. Published by Sasquatch Game Studio. The same guys who wrote/published "Princes of the Apocalypse" for WotC 5e. Really Conan-esque!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Snoring Rock wrote:I have been checking out Primeval Thule. It is set in Greenland 300 years after Atlantis sank. Published by Sasquatch Game Studio. The same guys who wrote/published "Princes of the Apocalypse" for WotC 5e. Really Conan-esque!
I like Primeval Thule. I'm torn between Thule, Lost Lands (Bard's Gate will be mine!), and my home brew setting for my next 5e game. I like the Conan-feel, I like the "cosmic horror" overtones. Good stuff all around. There's a bunch of it on my wish list on DTRPG that I wasn't even aware of - I have the core book and the FRPG Day module, but there's quite a few more supplements.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Dead Horse wrote:My time period is 7th century Europe. after the first sack of Rome. in my world Rome withdrew from most of Europe after being sacked.

check this site for European countries over time. It is really cool tool.

http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/700/index.html

I have run 2 campaigns in Celtic England and one in France.
I can't believe I skimmed over this one earlier.

Great site! I think I have something like it somewhere for my miniature war games ...

If I could DM and have a group that played exactly what I wanted, it would be something like yours ... historical fantasy in and around the fall of Rome into the after effects of the Viking invasions ... That or Europe shattered from the 'Wars of Religion' ...

But, my preference is a minority, so (again if I ever had tome to run a game which I don't sadly ) I'd lean toward the above mentioned goodness that is Gray Box FR

C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Currently Áereth, an easy choice for me as I was wanting to run some of the DCC modules and don't have the time to put a lot of work into a setting.