Traveller The Invasion...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Aramis
Lore Drake

Re: Traveller The Invasion...

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
Kayolan wrote:Looks like I'm sort of the communications guy, with some fighting skills. I should have my record posted by tomorrow.
I am thinking I gave a VERY wrong impression, the job fields I listed are only RECOMMENDATIONS. They are in no way critical for the group to have. They are only important in how easy it will make it for me to say the US government chooses your characters for a job. Of course, the more varied you make all of your characters skill sets will also make fewer NPC's be needed to round out your "team".

Still, bottom line, the careers are suggestions for making the role play of selecting your characters make more sense. If you want to be another "version" of a career skill set already selected, do so. Redundancy for where you guys will be going will be desired.

EDIT: This also means you can go completely off the "beaten path". As long as your a rank 3 in a skill the team will find useful, I can justify adding your character to the team. So combat related skills, piloting aircraft/shuttles, etc..., medical, Sciences related to Biochem, Genetics, and power, such as Fusion and Nuclear, etc... You guys can make a good guess as to where this is going with my posting of the "arrival". Choose what you think will be of help, and we will make it work.
Sounds like we need an ex NASA shuttle pilot/Nuclear engineer and a biochemist/geneticist. Fortunately we have the saboteur niche nicely filled :lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The following are skill training rules I made up for a game I ran for several of you back in May to July of 2012. YOU don't need to worry about the costs or time, I will have to decide that based on todays Earth, etc... Time will likely stay the same or remain close to being the same, costs will likely be higher. Also note what I say below about Gun Combat...

Remote Operations to 0 Will take 8 weeks and cost 8000 creds.
Zero-G to 0 Will take 1 week, cost 2,000 creds.
Computers to 3 Will take 4 weeks and cost 8,000 creds.

Admin to 0 Will take 6 weeks, cost 3000 creds.

Comms to 2 Will take 4 weeks and cost 8000 creds.

Sensors to 0 Will take 8 weeks and cost 12,000 creds (requires actual flight in space)

Remote Operations to 0 Will take 8 weeks and cost 8000 creds.
Zero-G to 0 Will take 1 week, cost 2,000 creds.
Computers to 3 Will take 4 weeks and cost 8,000 creds.

Admin to 0 Will take 6 weeks, cost 3000 creds.

Comms to 2 Will take 4 weeks and cost 8000 creds.

Sensors to 0 Will take 8 weeks and cost 12,000 creds (requires actual flight in space)

Deception 0, 6 weeks, 3000 creds.
Melee (Unarmed) 0, 8 weeks, 16000 creds (cost due to mostly personal training costs)
Language (Zdetl). 0 (what is called a level 1 speaker in todays terms) 4 weeks, 4,000 creds.

All initial (learning rank zero) rolls will be done at a "Routine" Difficulty, each rank above 0 will be at a negative penalty to your roll. So -1 to go to rank 1, -2 to go to rank 2, and so on. Failed rolls add on a week to get to try to pass the final test/exam again, with the average per week cost added on. Every TWO such extra weeks gives you a positive modifier, so +1 after the first two extra weeks failed, +2 if you fail for 4 weeks, and so on. This is to reflect that you are learning the material more and more thoroughly.

These rolls are based on your best relevant attribute, just like they are once you have the skill and use it. Just no skill ranks are added, ever. Even when going for ranks above 0.

If you ever have to stop training due to running out of funds, or having to go do a job/mission, you can return to training for the time left, but add two weeks for "refresher" training. So if you never made it past the first two weeks, its as if you never had the training in the first place.

All gun combat training past rank 0 takes 4 weeks per skill rank and a cost of 4,000.

Flyer (Grav) 0 at 8 weeks for 8,000 creds.

Pilot (Small Craft) 0 at 12 weeks for 12,000 creds.

Tactics (Any) 0 at 6 weeks for 3,000 creds.

Battle Dress to 0 is 4 weeks at 16,000 creds.

So 2 weeks at 8,000 creds.

Mechanics is 8 weeks to 0 at 2K creds per week for 18,000 creds.

Engineer, to 0 is 4 Months at 32,000 creds

Recon to 0 is 4 weeks, 12,000 creds.

Stealth to 0 is also 4 weeks at 12,000 creds.

I think we did a skills thing wrong. If you trained to Gun Combat 0 more than once, you did not need to. Gun Combat 0 applies to ALL gun type weapons. After that you can train to a rank 1 specialization in a particular type, Pistol (Slug), Rifle (Slug), Pistol (Laser), Rifle (Laser), etc...

Also, from now on, I hope you all feel comfortable enough to do your skill leveling between sessions.

To summarize, you need to have earned 3 tic marks PER rank you need to advance to, so 9 tics for rank 3, you then determine if you have the time to train, if you do you train and then make a roll at Routine (+2), add ONLY your attribute modifier, or a +1 for every two weeks you spend retaking your "final exam", roll a total of 8 or higher, and you pass and get certification in your new rank.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:

I think we did a skills thing wrong. If you trained to Gun Combat 0 more than once, you did not need to. Gun Combat 0 applies to ALL gun type weapons. After that you can train to a rank 1 specialization in a particular type, Pistol (Slug), Rifle (Slug), Pistol (Laser), Rifle (Laser), etc...

Thanks for that, I was wondering about gaining skills after initial development,

Does that count for beginning character build too? If so that frees up 2 points for me that I can use (and use desperately) in other skills.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote: Does that count for beginning character build too? If so that frees up 2 points for me that I can use (and use desperately) in other skills.
Yes, that gives you 2 skill to use elsewhere.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Joe Clemento
46 years old
5'11', 190#
Brown hair, Blue eyes
Fluent in English, Italian, Spanish

Attributes:

S 10 +1
D 8
I 13 +2
EDU 6
END 12 +2
SS 5 -1

Career:

Scholar - (Scientist; Physical & Life) Term 1
Marine - Terms 2
Agent - Terms 3

Skills:

Scholar
Comms (0)
Computer (3)
Diplomat (0)
Medic (0)
Investigate (1)
Physical Science
Chemistry (1)
Life Science (0)

Marine
Gun Combat
Pistol (1)
Rifle (1)
Shotgun (1)
Military Tactics (1)
Recon (1)
Combat Armor
Battle Suits (1)
Heavy Weapons
Launchers (1)
Melee
Blade (2)

Agent (4)
Stealth (1)
Deception (2)
Melee
Unarmed Combat (1)
Streetwise (1)
Persuade (0)

Joe grew up in a large Italian American family on the far West side of Chicago, son to a well known Outfit member. Always a good athlete but a bit of a rabble rouser, Joe was a standout wrestler and linebaker in high school.
Joe opted for the college route rather than to jump right into the "family business". He went on to play college football for 3 years while pursuing a Computer programming degree at a local 4 year institution.
Confident and popular, his youthful antics led to some trouble with local cops that the
family had to "buy" him out of. Shortly thereafter he quit the team, but stayed in school long enough to get his degree.

In trouble again, and one step ahead of the law, on a whim he enlisted in the Marines. He possessed a certain drive and skill set that lent itself well to excelling in this environment. After basic, he earned a shot training for MARSOC.
This provided just the structure and seasoning he needed. He emerged more mature, and along with his natural confidence, he developed into a valuable member of the Special Ops fraternity. Serving in various capacities with a focus on computers and intel, he survived multiple combat deployments in Southwest Asia gaining critical experience.
After 8 years, and making Staff Sergeant, he parlayed his experience into a much sought after role in the private sector.

Using various "family" underworld and personal contacts, he acquired a position with AquaNero, a private security consulting
firm in North Carolina. His skills were immediately put to use tracking down, and helping to eliminate a cyberterrorist plaguing one of AquaNero's clients. He recently returned to the States after being assigned to eliminate a certain Arabic menace in Europe.

The company has him currently posing as a computer programmer in Houston, surveilling a potential cyberthreat locally. While not actively involved in his father's business, he can call on resources and contacts from the underworld to aid in his current activities.

Weapons:

7" Ka-bar knife, 5" Ka-bar Tanto, SOG-TAC mini knife, Smith & Wesson MP4L Tacticl Pocket knife, Cutlass, H&K HK45 with (100) 10 round mags, M4 Carbine w/(100) 30 round mags & M203 Grenade Launcher underneath w/60 frag grenades, Mossberg 500 shotgun w/(50) 6 round mags.

Gear:

Night Vision Binoculars, Scientific Tool kit, Lasersight for M4, Flakjacket TL8
Laptop with TL 9 Security & TL 10 Intrusion software, 4 wheel drive Ford Explorer, Bugout bag (in car): first aid kit, Hk45 compact, flares, fire starter kit, thermal blanket, basic tool kit, water filter, mag lite).

Cash

House in rural Eastern North Carolina.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I went ahead and created my character btb, along with rolling for the effects of aging.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Also, from now on, I hope you all feel comfortable enough to do your skill leveling between sessions.

To summarize, you need to have earned 3 tic marks PER rank you need to advance to, so 9 tics for rank 3, you then determine if you have the time to train, if you do you train and then make a roll at Routine (+2), add ONLY your attribute modifier, or a +1 for every two weeks you spend retaking your "final exam", roll a total of 8 or higher, and you pass and get certification in your new rank.
I think I'm tracking on everything, except the tic mark ... what is the tic marks you are talking about ???

Another question ... can having an expert help you learn give you a bonus on the roll (for expert I mean someone that has at least a level 3 in the skill, and is at least a level higher than what you are training for)?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:

I think I'm tracking on everything, except the tic mark ... what is the tic marks you are talking about ???

Another question ... can having an expert help you learn give you a bonus on the roll (for expert I mean someone that has at least a level 3 in the skill, and is at least a level higher than what you are training for)?
the tic marks are a kind of experience points.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:
..., he acquired a position with AquaNero, a private security consulting
firm in North Carolina. ...

:o ... :shock: ... :lol:

I've read over you character a few times, trying to link our histories, but I just got that .... boy I must be more tired than I thought to miss that one. I kept thinking water, Nero .... but Nero didn't drown, he fell on his own sword, well tried to but mucked it up & a slave had to finish him. It was Caligula's mom that almost drown .... I wonder who else he could be talking about .... Nero Wolf .... maybe, but then why the water .... and to think, sometimes my wife says I try to be to clever with things that are simple .... :oops: :lol:
Aramis wrote:
the tic marks are a kind of experience points.
Ok, now I'm tracking, thanks

C&C Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Lurker wrote:
maximus wrote:
..., he acquired a position with AquaNero, a private security consulting
firm in North Carolina. ...

:o ... :shock: ... :lol:
Treebore wanted a group of scientists and high level bureacrats, we've given him a team of blackwater operatives, snipers and video journalists.

I think our party probably wiped out the party he wanted to appoint when a paintball match between agencies turned very ugly indeed, and now we are the best the powers that be can get on short notice! :lol:

I can tweak my character a bit if Treebore _really_ wants some more science in the group. I.e if we need some more science or piloting I could shoe horn some of that into my character and drop persuasion or explosives.

The problem is, in my experience of these games, you generally want a "face" character to smooth social encounters. Explosives...well, when persuasion doesn't work, we always seem to need a little bit of explosives ;)

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm cool changing my guy as well, just let me know.

Glad someone got my thinly veiled reference... :lol:

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Aramis wrote:Treebore wanted a group of scientists and high level bureacrats, we've given him a team of blackwater operatives, snipers and video journalists.
Only one journalist in the party, and he has two skills that are at 3 or better, which is what Treebore said is all that mattered, that and possibly some military skills added in, which we all seem to have. I don't think we can do wrong considering the only thing we know is that we are supposed to be fighting some aliens. Or maybe I'm missing something here?

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Here is what I see so far:

Merrick (Aramis): stealth, persuasion, versatile with strong combat skills
(Stealth 3, Deception 3, Gun Combat 3, Jack of all Trades 3, Explosives 2, Persuasion 2)

Jason (Lurker): medic, biologist, good combat skills
(Medic 3, Biology 2, Gun Combat 2)

Bruce (Kayolan): investigation and communications, good combat skills
(Investigate 4, Comms 3, Gun Combat 2)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm working my character up now. His a scientist (more or less). ;) I'll have his stats posted as soon as I get them typed. I need to write up the backstory, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Rigon wrote:I'm working my character up now. His a scientist (more or less). ;) I'll have his stats posted as soon as I get them typed. I need to write up the backstory, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

R-
excellent.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Name: Dr. Simon Little, PhD
Career: Dilettante (Adventurer/Archaeologist) 5 terms
Description: Dr. Little is 6 feet tall and goes about 185 pounds. He has medium brown hair, going to gray. He sports either a beard or goatee most of the time. His deep blue eyes are clear and bright.

Characteristics
Str: 8 (+0)
Dex: 12 (+2)
End: 9 (+1)
Int: 10 (+1)
Edu: 8 (+0)
Soc: 6 (+0)

Skills
Animals 0
Computers 0
Diplomat 0
Drive (Wheeled) 1
Flyer 0
Gun Combat 0
Jack of All Trades 2
Language 0
Persuade 1
Recon 2
Social Science (Archeology) 3
Social Science (History) 2
Survival 1

Protection
Leather Jacket (Protection: 1)

Weapons
Knife (Melee (small blade); Dmg: 1d6+1)
9mm Autopistol (Gun Combat (slug thrower); Dmg: 3d6-2; Clip: 15; Recoil: -1)
Survival Rifle (Gun Combat (slug rifle); Dmg: 2d6-1; Clip 2; Recoil: 0)

Equipment
Knife (Melee (small blade); Dmg: 1d6+1)
9mm Autopistol (Gun Combat (slug thrower); Dmg: 3d6-2; Clip: 15; Recoil: -1)
Survival Rifle (Gun Combat (slug rifle); Dmg: 2d6-1; Clip 2; Recoil: 0)
Leather Jacket (Protection: 1)

Large leather backpack
-Suvival Kit (5'x7' tarp, canteen w/metal cup, box of waterproof matches, mylar blanket, 50' 550 paracord, roll of duct tape, 50' fishing line w/10 hooks, 5 energy bars, $50 in gold coins, survival rifle, 1 box 9mm ammo, 1 box survival rifle ammo)
-Archaeology tools (brushes, small hand picks, magnifying glass, small scrappers)
-First Aid kit (disinfectant, bandages, aspirin, pepto tablets, sugar pills, benedryl)

Leather shoulder bag
-Android smartphone
-Android Tablet
-Folding bluetooth keyboard
-note pad
-pens

Jeep Wrangler
-Suvival Kit (5'x7' tarp, canteen w/metal cup, box of waterproof matches, mylar blanket, 50' 550 paracord, roll of duct tape, 50' fishing line w/hooks, 5 energy bars, $50 in gold coins)
-4 boxes of ammo for 9mm
-2 boxes of ammo for survival rifle
-First Aid kit (disinfectant, bandages, aspirin, pepto tablets, sugar pills, benedryl)

Cash
$3000

Notes

Backstory
Simon was raised in the mountains of north central Pennsylvania where he enjoyed outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and skiing. He also had a great interest in history and exploring.

After high school, Simon attended Penn State University where he studied archaeology. He was an average student, but excelled at field work. He was invited to go on a dig in Central America the summer between his Junior and Senior years. While on the dig, Simon demonstrated his knack for scouting out dangerous areas and avoiding them for the team.

After graduating, Simon was working on his Masters degree and was preparing a scholarly paper. Unfortunately, another Masters candidate, Jonathan Vickers, stole Simon's notes and published his paper before him. Simon was able to prove that his work was plagiarized and disgraced Vickers. Vickers has hated Simon since.

After completing his Masters, Simon returned to central America to do more field work. Again his knack for discovering dangers helped the dig team avoid disaster by finding some old booby traps and disabling them before any of the team set them off.

Simon then pursued his PhD at the University of Texas. While working on his Doctorate, Simon was challenged to a debate by an up an coming rival, Anthony Jordan. Simon so thoroughly embarrassed Jordan, that Jordan had Simon abducted and abandoned in the desert. Simon used the skills he developed from working in the field on archaeological digs to make his way back to civilization. He was a little battered, but nothing a little time in the hospital could fix.

After the Jordan incident, Simon realized that he needed to settle down, so took a job teaching at the University of Houston. There he meet and started to date Helen Granger, a young Resident student at the University Hospital.
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wanted a group of scientists and high level bureacrats, we've given him a team of blackwater operatives, snipers and video journalists.
No, as I posted at least once before, my list of professions/skills would just make it easy to have the government want to recruit you.

If you had rolled up a bunch of know nothing pampered social elites I would have had to get more creative.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
Aramis wrote:
No, as I posted at least once before, my list of professions/skills would just make it easy to have the government want to recruit you.

If you had rolled up a bunch of know nothing pampered social elites I would have had to get more creative.
Sounds good.

Explosives skill is a go for launch! :lol:

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

I'm impressed with the creativity people put into their character "themes". Looks like we will have a good mix. I wonder what Aergraith is going to come up with.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:I got inspired while looking through the Dilettante book and made up an archaeologist.

You know, I kicked around ideas for a scientist, and the only one I thought was playable was an archaeologist ... If great minds think alike, what does that make us ???? :lol:

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:I got inspired while looking through the Dilettante book and made up an archaeologist.

You know, I kicked around ideas for a scientist, and the only one I thought was playable was an archaeologist ... If great minds think alike, what does that make us ???? :lol:
Well, it works for Indiana Jones...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I realized something after going through character creation with Maximus. If you also use the book to round out rank advancements, and to do the life events, and get free additional skills from those results, count them as a "freebie"

Also, do NOT roll for aging effects until your 38 to 42 age block, but still assess a -1 DM to the roll for each 4 year "block" of your age. So when you roll at 42, it will be a -6 DM (Dice Modifier). Maximus did two rolls, and rolled 7 or higher, so he suffered no loss, despite finishing at age 46.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:I realized something after going through character creation with Maximus. If you also use the book to round out rank advancements, and to do the life events, and get free additional skills from those results, count them as a "freebie"

Also, do NOT roll for aging effects until your 38 to 42 age block, but still assess a -1 DM to the roll for each 4 year "block" of your age. So when you roll at 42, it will be a -6 DM (Dice Modifier). Maximus did two rolls, and rolled 7 or higher, so he suffered no loss, despite finishing at age 46.
Oh that gives me 3 skills at 1 (nav, recon, & survival) and opens up the points I counted for them. I'll correct it on the character.

C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore wrote:Also, do NOT roll for aging effects until your 38 to 42 age block, but still assess a -1 DM to the roll for each 4 year "block" of your age. So when you roll at 42, it will be a -6 DM (Dice Modifier). Maximus did two rolls, and rolled 7 or higher, so he suffered no loss, despite finishing at age 46.
Still the same for my character then. I didn't suffer too much, 2 physical characteristics lowered by 1. I chose Str and Dex.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Updated list of characters along with their areas of expertise:

Merrick (Aramis): stealth, persuasion, versatile with strong combat skills
(Stealth 3, Deception 3, Gun Combat 3, Jack of all Trades 3, Explosives 2, Persuasion 2)

Jason (Lurker): medic, biologist, good combat skills
(Medic 3, Biology 2, Gun Combat 2)

Bruce (Kayolan): investigation and communications, good combat skills
(Investigate 4, Comms 3, Gun Combat 2)

Simon (Rigon): archeologist & historian, versatile with good recon skills
(Archeology 3, History 2, Jack of All Trades 2, Recon 2)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I was going to be sort of a Dana Scully type, FBI, doctor, xenobiologist, maybe an interest in extremophiles. But Les has biology covered. Still thinking.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:I was going to be sort of a Dana Scully type, FBI, doctor, xenobiologist, maybe an interest in extremophiles. But Les has biology covered. Still thinking.
A strong Chemist/Biochemist and Geneticist would be useful. IE rank 3.

Max is going to be great at Computers. Between his skill and INT bonus he is going to start off at +5 to his skill checks.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:I realized something after going through character creation with Maximus. If you also use the book to round out rank advancements, and to do the life events, and get free additional skills from those results, count them as a "freebie"

Oh that gives me 3 skills at 1 (nav, recon, & survival) and opens up the points I counted for them. I'll correct it on the character.
I didn't realise we got free skills each time we advance, plus I had a couple of skills from events I got when I rolled my character so I will add High Energy Engineering as a skill with the biographical addition thus:

An outbreak of coordination between state and non state actors in the region combined with the easy availability of fissile materials and rented expertise led to Ibn-Khayal being trained in High Energy Engineering to spot the telltale signs of their use and manufacture, and how to handle them safely. Hardly any of the proto bombs and materials he recovered in the next 4 years ended up on the black market ;)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Lurker wrote:

I didn't realise we got free skills each time we advance, plus I had a couple of skills from events I got when I rolled my character so I will add High Energy Engineering as a skill with the biographical addition thus:

An outbreak of coordination between state and non state actors in the region combined with the easy availability of fissile materials and rented expertise led to Ibn-Khayal being trained in High Energy Engineering to spot the telltale signs of their use and manufacture, and how to handle them safely. Hardly any of the proto bombs and materials he recovered in the next 4 years ended up on the black market ;)
Well, you start off with 4 for free, as a background to your first 18 years of life. Then I give you 5 points per 4 year period, which is greater than what you would get by the book. However, I forgot about you getting all of the skills in the Service Skills column all at rank 0, for your very first career only. Then I didn't take into account getting additional skills due to life events and rank advancements.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I just did the math on my character to see if I would have had more or less if I created him with the point buy method. Turns out I was only 1 skill rank under using the btb method, however some of my characteristics were raised when making mustering benefit rolls for my first career, so I actually made out a little better than I would have.