Traveller The Invasion...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Traveller The Invasion...

Post by Rigon »

Are using Discord again tonight or Roll20 voice?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Are using Discord again tonight or Roll20 voice?

R-
Lets try with Roll 20 voice, and if that has issues, then Discord. I've already had to update SKYPE twice this past week, and STILL had issues with one of the players, so I'm done with trying to use SKYPE until I hear they've put some effort into making it a stable platform to use again.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

http://nickforall.nl/skype/ -- Hasn't worked on Linux since February.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

That's shitty of them.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, I hope it goes off without a hitch ... I had a crappy day, and I know tomorrow will be worse, soooooo need a good game to get my mind off the real world.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I plan on playing, but may be late our have to go away for a bit. It will depend on when Pretty gets home. She had rehearsal until 7 and then has to input grades since today was the last day of the grading period at school.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Well, I hope it goes off without a hitch ... I had a crappy day, and I know tomorrow will be worse, soooooo need a good game to get my mind off the real world.
I was doing roofing work in near 90 degree weather for a couple of hours. I feel beat to heck right now. Did the same yesterday. I look forward to when I finally have it all done, in a few more weeks, since my wife has me going to Phoenix, then Vegas, this Thursday through to the following (second) Sunday. I have to have everything I have torn up right now fixed back up by Wednesday night. Then, once I finish all the wood/shingle/vent work, I get to replace all the wood around the roof edge, woohoo!

Oh, did I mention the reason why my Master Bathroom ceiling fan hasn't worked worth a dang all these years? (10+ years). Because when they cut the hole in the roof for the vent pipe, they left the wood piece, along with matching underlayment, in the vent hole, covering the fan filter, completely.

Have I ever mentioned how the people who did the roofing on my house and garage had ZERO business doing any roofing work?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm in Roll 20 if anyone wants to start checking out their audio...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon, and everyone else, one thing I wanted to make clear, and think I failed to do before we signed off, is that ALL of you are going to have to do a lot of retraining. The ONLY effect your current training and education is going to have, in a lot, but not all, areas of new training, is allow me to give you bonus' to your training rolls. IE enable to you learn the new weapons and technology faster and easier then you otherwise would. Some things do have straight translations, such as Recon, Chemistry, Physics, Human Bio Chem, Earth Genetics,will all still hold true, for the most part.

Also, recall I had them state that Quantum computers, and related tech, will actually be capable of becoming superior to their Bio Chemistry based Tech.

So even if you think your character is somehow woefully inadequate for what the future holds, that will all change as long as your accepted for any of the training programs. Then, of course, pass them.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Please refer to and remember the existence of "Edit 1" in the very first post of this thread.

Ter-Chi, the tartigrade based aliens. Not very intelligent, used to maintain Atmosphere's on ships and space stations. They have 4 "stages", can go from Stage 1 to Stage 4 in one Earth year, assuming adequate food. Range in size from 1 Meter in stage 1, to as much as 9 Meters in Stage 4. Stage 3 and 4 have "carapace" body armor.

Illandri. the lizard, gator, reptile based alien race that is warm blooded. That will die if they fight for too long. Were the previous "Warrior Race" of the Hidden Ones, prior to the Returned being used instead as much as 1,500 years ago. Cannot use the Battle Suits, which it is believed to be why they were replaced. After serving as such for a million years. Or more.

Ashu, the South American Sloth looking Lemurs that are the "Navigator" race, and are known to be psychic to some extent. 1 to 1.5 Meters in height. Allies of the Returned, and there fore, Humanity.

Dozens of other races do exist, but these are the main players of the "Client Races" the Hidden Ones had subjugated, etc....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Also remember what I said the importance of their Orbis' is, it is the physical embodiment of their honor, the only thing they have truly "owned" these last 1,000+ years. It is used for all kinds of things, but most typically alliances, including their marriage rites.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

The drop ship shook gently as the engines were cut back for the approach to the lunar surface. Inside, two rows of armored warriors made last minute adjustments to their gear and tried to ignore the butterflies forming in their gut.

"message coming in from the surface, sir", said the comms officer.

The commander frowned. "Well, I guess surprise was never going to be an option", he muttered.

The sound of a half dozen men simultaneously racking their firearms filled the cabin.

"What's the message?", the commander asked.

"It's...well, I think it is kind of taunting us sir." replied the radio op.

The commander waved his hand dismissively. "Put it up on the screen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALtqFPyvQk

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon, and everyone else, one thing I wanted to make clear, and think I failed to do before we signed off, is that ALL of you are going to have to do a lot of retraining. The ONLY effect your current training and education is going to have, in a lot, but not all, areas of new training, is allow me to give you bonus' to your training rolls. IE enable to you learn the new weapons and technology faster and easier then you otherwise would. Some things do have straight translations, such as Recon, Chemistry, Physics, Human Bio Chem, Earth Genetics,will all still hold true, for the most part.

Also, recall I had them state that Quantum computers, and related tech, will actually be capable of becoming superior to their Bio Chemistry based Tech.

So even if you think your character is somehow woefully inadequate for what the future holds, that will all change as long as your accepted for any of the training programs. Then, of course, pass them.
I can understand Rigon's implied frustration at the end of the game, but I'm sure that as we travel around the galaxy we will find plenty of opportunities for working through archeological issues as we find worlds conquered by the returned and the lizard men before them and then forgotten or abandoned by them or their long dead masters. Technology & tools may change but the fundamental principles to use them stay the same.

What worries me (outside of as a medic being replaced by a table) is us getting lost in the shuffle of the 100s - 1000s of people that will be taken to set up colonies and then fly the other giant ships back to what will be left of earth after the other aliens crush earth while we are gone .... It is easy to maintain team integrity and focus when you are a small group. But when we are simply one of many ....

I'm not doubting Tree can do it, but I'm not sure how / if I could do it in his place if I was running the game.

The easiest way I could see it is if we go as an advance scouting party for the 'mother ship' or main mission. But, that wasn't mentioned so I'm not sure it's an option.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

This game tonight, since Rigon cannot run his. Also assuming Vegas doesn't swallow me up in its wells of alcohol before 6 PM!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:This game tonight, since Rigon cannot run his. Also assuming Vegas doesn't swallow me up in its wells of alcohol before 6 PM!
Been there, and at 1800, I was just wakening up from the previous nights tables of dice and said 'wells of alcohol'.

I'll be at the game, but if you hear a whimper, or a scream, it is my back either completely locking up, or popping and releasing ... either way it will hurt, but either way will be better than what it is now ...

C&C Society

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

"Roll20 ‎@roll20app
It seems that @googlecloud is currently having some issues. We will keep you posted."
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

roll20 has dropped so i will amuse myself listening to the tardigrade song until it returns

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Game Summary. Time line has moved up to April 29th.

Everyone has received first +1 to all attributes, except SS. Everyone is now immune to cold, flu, disease, etc... and now heals physical injuries much faster.

Problems you guys helped to resolve:

1. Production of "Goo". World Wide
2. Distribution of "Goo'. World Wide.
3. Identified 9,000 "volunteers" acceptable for becoming either Planet Buster crew (4,000) or Settlers (5,000)
4. Identified Genetic "problem", that causes the serum not to work as well as it does for others. no progress made on figuring out the solution to the problem,

Bruce, Joe and Merrick worked together to write two MAJOR pieces of Literature, the first to explain to the world the threat that now faces all of Humanity (Formidable result), second, the need for unity of the human race and why it was necessary to eliminate the leadership of North Korea, (Also a Formidable result). Possible Pulitzer and Nobel prizes???

People of note: General McIntyre, Marines. Doctor Samuels.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Sorry again about last night guys. We were at the school until 11:30 pm and only got half of the the light done. We will be back there tonight to try to finish them. Next week is production week, so I'm not sure how late we will be staying at the school each night. I don't expect to make the game next week either. But after that, the season is over (no extended season this year).

Now, for what Simon would have been doing during this timeframe, along with helping the other:
1st: He would have continued getting the oral history of the Returned.
2nd: He would have started to transcribe those oral histories.
3rd: He would have started research to fill gaps in world history that would be filled by the oral histories of the Returned and linking archaeological data with the histories.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

All, it's that time of year again. The play is this Friday and Saturday, so only my wife knows when I'll be leaving the school each night this week. Plan for me to miss tonight, but if I can make it, then we will all be happy.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Rigon wrote:All, it's that time of year again. The play is this Friday and Saturday, so only my wife knows when I'll be leaving the school each night this week. Plan for me to miss tonight, but if I can make it, then we will all be happy.

R-
No sweat, Rigon. Hope the play goes well

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Bundle of holding has a deal on the Mongoose Traveller books in pdf. They usually add a couple of files as the sale goes on, so check back for further downloads

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/MongooseTraveller

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

All, It has rained heavy here today, and despite my internet provider saying that weather etc won't impact service ... my net is slow at best and spotty and crashing at worst. Sooooooo, I may have issues tonight - worse than the already annoying norm - and I'll apologize for it now.

Tree, I should have hung this earlier so you would have time to digest it and see if it would have any effect on the game. Sorry, real life, and my back going out again, has kept me busy.

What I'll be doing behind the scenes - part as me & part as the Special Operations Forces mouth piece to the Returned is:

1st Translate "The Art of War" into 'Returned' Latin. It will give me practice learning to switch my French to Returned Latin & will bring some ideas to the forefront that I think they are missing

2nd Talk with them on their plan. They are focused on their superior technology and how they have devastated enemies and the amazing abilities of their armor and weapons - justifiably with their weapons. However, they haven't had to win wars 'smartly' because of it. With that they are focusing on getting more of those weapons and surviving the onslaught. They are not thinking like a SOF force and needing to win / delay with smarts and not just super weapons

3rd, with Rigons help in his history of the Returned and the wars they have fought and their enemies they conquered. I look for fracture points between all the enemy races (I know they are there because they have said 'despite their hate for each other, they want humanity destroyed)

4th With that, and the help of the 2 CIA types on the team, look for ways to exploit those fracture points and expand them to where they are not working in unison. Ways to cause one race to doubt the other.

Anything that would be believable on things about race x & y agreeing to help each other fight race a after humanity is attacked. race b saying that they will help the 8 leged race invade race c's world for needed food when race c is focused on attacking humanity

Anything like that, that would cause any of the races to doubt another race, slow their actions or foster the seeds of dissention between them. Heck, even stories about the Returned making a deal with race g would help

Also, create stories about additional 'returned' battle groups in different areas that are preparing to raid into areas that are weak with the races focused on looking for humanity/returned/earth.

even if it is a 25% success rate, now earth is going from facing 100% of the races to now only 75 %. Plus it is a force multiplier in that even as the enemies fight the returned/earth, they are keeping an eye out for each other . And when a race is slower to respond than another race thinks is right, they will feed on that doubt and be even slower themselves to help the other race or attack them as trators

5th, Get the Returned's help on how to spread this false information out to the galaxy and how to encode it to where the target races would get it and have a hart time to decode it, but to be able to do it successfully without thinking it is easy. Some of the diversion tactics and tricks the US and Britain used in N Africa, Mid East, & for D Day during WW2

6th start pushing to send out raiding parties from earth . even if all of us &/or the 9k are not ready. Send out a falcon or 2 to start pin prick hits or targeted raids on high value targets. All the hall marks of asymmetric / guerrilla warfare

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My apologies guys! With the Travelling up here to Utah, I totally spaced on what day it was (I got stuck on it being Sunday.) I didn't even realize it until I finally signed on to the internet and saw Kayolans SKYPE message. No, I was not on any drugs, aside from my normal stuff, which is all NON narcotic.

So again, my apologies, I am very sorry I left you completely hanging, etc...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

We were at the school until midnight last night. And it looks like that's how it will be for the rest of the week. So tired...

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Aramis wrote:
Rigon wrote:All, it's that time of year again. The play is this Friday and Saturday, so only my wife knows when I'll be leaving the school each night this week. Plan for me to miss tonight, but if I can make it, then we will all be happy.

R-
No sweat, Rigon. Hope the play goes well
I'll post pics at some point. It is the most elaborate and intricate set we've ever built. We started working on it on Good Friday and have spent every Saturday since working on it. I will say it is impressive for a small high school production.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:My apologies guys! With the Travelling up here to Utah, I totally spaced on what day it was (I got stuck on it being Sunday.) I didn't even realize it until I finally signed on to the internet and saw Kayolans SKYPE message. No, I was not on any drugs, aside from my normal stuff, which is all NON narcotic.

So again, my apologies, I am very sorry I left you completely hanging, etc...
We assumed something similar happened. It has merely whet our appetite for next session. ;)

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

No problem at all Tree. We had a nice discussiion before signing off.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:No problem at all Tree. We had a nice discussiion before signing off.
Rgr that, plus it gives tree 2 weeks to think about what my guy is/will be doing to help the cause ...

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Cool thing, at least to me. I read a new study that can be the basis for explaining all the genetic alterations the Returned have been through, as well as it has given me a better idea how their DNA based computers work.

On that note, unless I am spacing on which day is what again, game tomorrow! (Monday, May 02.)