Horn of summoning in Reaping Bones module

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Tempestari
Henchman

Horn of summoning in Reaping Bones module

Post by Tempestari »

One of the NPCs in the Reaping Bones module has the Horn of Summoning (page 7). I couldn't find the statics of this magical item in the Monsters & Treasure. Where is this magical horn described? Or Have I to invent its atributes?

Any help will be welcome!

Thank you

mmbutter
Red Cap

Re: Horn of summoning in Reaping Bones module

Post by mmbutter »

I think it should be a "Horn of Valhalla."

Willy Rat
Ungern

Post by Willy Rat »

Hear ya Tempestari,

[Reaping Bones - SPOILERS]

I was just starting to run this one too when I bumped up against this problem.

The horn is made to summon a single demon (unnamed), so it's not really a Valhalla-flavored item.
There's no mention how often it can be used. Or if it can be used by anyone else. Eg. the players?

And the demon is less than fully described as well. It has a total of six lines of text and a third of those are describing its mysterious 'captivate' ability.
Is this a full-blown demon "as seen on TV"? Or like those NOT found in any Monsters & Treasure volume?
Had to check the C&C Compilations for other useful rules on demons.
Should it have Immunities? Be telepathic? How about a move rate?
Otherwise its just a sucky 4 die target that can sing.

And is this 'captivate' singing similar to that of a Harpy? It's the only C&C monster I can find who has a similar ability. And what saving throw are the targets supposed to pass? (not mentioned)

These oversights are unfortunate for they leave me feeling that the product was rushed and incomplete.
All of this being said, I still LIKE the module. It has a great story thread and is easy to run. It is a perfect introductory adventure and could be easily finished in a couple of sessions.

Normally I wouldn't mind the missing bits and could gloss over them on the fly, but the innkeeper and his demon will probably be a major part of our next gaming session.
Usually my group would by-pass someone who appears to be a placeholder NPC (the Classic Barkeep). They would just extract the relevant info and move on.
But this session had two noob players who wanted to interact with EVERYBODY! And it just so happens that the hot-headed young knight in the group almost immediately punched the innkeeper in the face and threatened him with a knife. (playing too much Skyrim, I guess) That was where we ended the session. So as you can see, there WILL be a significant chance that the outraged NPC will set his demon upon the knight and party come nightfall.

Just my $.02.
Willy Rat from the frozen wastes of central Canada

Willy Rat
Ungern

Post by Willy Rat »

Gonna bump this thread cuz I got a session breathing down my neck this Friday. :o

Any help for a confused old Castle Keeper like me?
Thanks.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That tickles something in the back of my head. If you have a copy of the M&ToA, look at the demons in there for the one that sings. I'm pretty sure there is one. I can check when I get a minute (not sure if I have my PDF with me).

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:That tickles something in the back of my head. If you have a copy of the M&ToA, look at the demons in there for the one that sings. I'm pretty sure there is one. I can check when I get a minute (not sure if I have my PDF with me).

R-

Nope. No such Demon, or Devil. Only thing useful in there is the 3 common powers of Demons, Weapon Immunity, +1 or better required to hit them, Weakness to Iron (cannot cross Iron dust/filing, and weapons of pure Iron are +2 to hit and additional 1d6 damage), and their version of the Magic Jar.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That takes care of that. I tried.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'd just use a 4 HD demon from any source I have (Such as the 4 HD Demon in M&T of A) and give it the captivate power and treat the "Captivate" power like the Bard's Fascinate class ability.

As for how often it can be used, etc...? Use the Horns of Valhalla as a guideline.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Willy Rat
Ungern

Post by Willy Rat »

Thank you gentlemen, for your prompt and illuminating replies.

I will report back on the weekend and let you know how things went with the encounter.

My thanks,