Aihrde/Earth Cultural Equivalents

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Aihrde/Earth Cultural Equivalents

Post by MaxKaladin »

Looking over the big map, there are a lot of place names that strongly imply they were inspired by a particular Earth culture. For instance, you've got German names all over the place (Aachen, Augsburg, Hanse Cities and Ruineland for instance), more Norse ones (Trondheim, Eisenheim), French (Avignon), Roman (Brindisium, Rubicon River, Tiber) and vaguely British (some names in Kayomar).

Has anything ever been done with more explicitly matching up Earth cultures with Aihrde ones as a kind of shorthand (Aachen is Germany, etc)? I've seen lists like that for many other campaign settings, but I searched here and didn't really find anything.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Aihrde/Earth Cultural Equivalents

Post by Treebore »

Lets see, Dwarves are German, elves are French, Goblyns are pretty much any tribal group of Africa, same with Orcs, especially the Hlobane, humans are English, and I can't recall the rest we here on the boards have discussed. I know we had come up with equivalents for the Gnome and the Halflings. I want to say the Gnomes are Russian inspired, and the Halflings are Irish inspired. Still, I wouldn't quote me on those.

Steve and Davis apparently both spent time over in Europe, and took a lot of inspiration from there.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Post by MaxKaladin »

Hmmm, interesting. So it's by race rather than geography and all members of the same race have the same culture?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Not necessarily, the Anochians are Egyptian types, the Engale are Norse, etc. Also, regions have their own cultural equivalents, Brindisium is Rome, Tigia is Sparta, etc. I don't think we came up with a set of specifics for each location/race and only Steve would know what influenced him for each, but you should be able to come up with a general idea for each.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Post by MaxKaladin »

That's more the kind of thing I was looking for. i was just curious if a list like that existed. Some of them are obvious and others less so and I was curious to see how others interpreted them. Thanks!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, we just identified the inspiration for what we could, but they are by no means a full definition of what is there.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

Halflings in the Northwest, Gottland are nomadic and follow herds. Even though they do so in wagons, I still picture them as the Native Americans of the plains, following the buffalo migration for their livelihood and very survival.
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me