Returning to C&C after a long hiatus

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
bestialwarlust
Mist Elf

Returning to C&C after a long hiatus

Post by bestialwarlust »

So I'm dipping my toe into the C&C side of the pool after a long time away from C&C (stopped around 2010 and was using the 3rd print of the PHB). Mostly been running white box OD&D since. But I know some of my players tend to prefer more "advanced" so back to C&C for a bit and see how it goes.A lot of catching up to do I found a copy of the 5th printing PHB in half price and just picked up the new 6th printing PHB.

I like the barbarian changes ( though it's still a culture not a class in my opinion) but I like it a lot more than previous printings and in fact thinks it's one of the better iterations of a barbarian class in any of the many d&d clones out there. The illusionist changes seem interesting. I'm be lurking here more often than I used to. Now it's time to review and get all the rust off there are a few surprises such as a turn in C&C is one minute and not ten.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Returning to C&C after a long hiatus

Post by Buttmonkey »

Welcome back. C&C runs pretty intuitively if you're experienced with pre-3E D&D (as you are).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Welcome back!

Yeah, C&C is about being your game, not a strict adherence to rules. So just modify it to be the game you want this time around.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

bestialwarlust
Mist Elf

Post by bestialwarlust »

Treebore wrote:Welcome back!

Yeah, C&C is about being your game, not a strict adherence to rules. So just modify it to be the game you want this time around.
That's one thing I always do. I converted my current OD&D Greyhawk campaign to C&C and the conversion was relatively painless and straight forward which I was glad too see. More a matter of just re-rolling HP hardly took anytime.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

bestialwarlust wrote:
Treebore wrote:Welcome back!

That's one thing I always do. I converted my current OD&D Greyhawk campaign to C&C and the conversion was relatively painless and straight forward which I was glad too see. More a matter of just re-rolling HP hardly took anytime.
Yeah, I House Rule a lot too. Fixing things I don't like for whatever reason, add rules I like, switch out a rule to something I like better, create my own classes, etc....
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Welcome back. If you are looking for house rule ideas, check out Tree's or mine (in my sig) or any number of others.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hi. Again.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Welcome back, sir. I'm kind of back, too...though I've been around the whole time (jsut not posting). As others have said, the game is pretty close to what it was back in the 3rd printing. The classes you mentioned changed the most (and not often for the better, but that's my personal gripe) and the monk kind of went through some minor flavor change. Otherwise, it's pretty much still the same from 2010. Everyone's super helpful and nice and are more than willing to help you with questions or bounce ideas off of. Except that Omote guy. He's a jerk. :lol:
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lord Dynel wrote:Except that Omote guy. He's a jerk. :lol:
I'm here, and I'm a jerk. But, I still love you all. I love LD the most tho. :twisted:

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:Except that Omote guy. He's a jerk. :lol:
I'm here, and I'm a jerk. But, I still love you all. I love LD the most tho. :twisted:

~O
Oh, heck no! :o

Nah...you're good people, bossman. I was just joshin'! :D
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

I'm back as well. It's like learning AD&D all over again. :) "I thought I knew that rule?" <flip pages> ;)

It works. I like that there's an active community. I certainly would never have known about TLG without Gary pushing me to try them out. Plus, why convert Castle Zagyg when I have the game it was written for?
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

I'm back as well after the long trying mess that was 5E. Don't get me started on 5E I will some up that I liked it even though it has major issues but liked it only about 5% as much as I love C&C.

It's nice that as soon as we made the decision to switch back to C&C suddenly 90% of my stuff became usable again!

However, now im looking around and seeing the old girl has been working out and now has gotten all prettied up? What's with the new modern looking rule books? Dang it I am breaking out my credit card for $130 worth of new TLG products! Man oh man those books do look good though!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Welcome one and all... and I wasn't even here when you left!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

I've just recently returned to the fold as well. Went on a long journey, tried many different systems, only to realize what I was looking for has been sitting on my shelf the whole time. Prepping for a new campaign and am elated to find my whole gaming library is relevant once again.
Feels great to be back!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Brutorz Bill wrote:I've just recently returned to the fold as well. Went on a long journey, tried many different systems, only to realize what I was looking for has been sitting on my shelf the whole time. Prepping for a new campaign and am elated to find my whole gaming library is relevant once again.
Feels great to be back!
Awesome!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Currently I'm playing in a v3.5E Forgotten Realms campaign, have been doing so for 9 months or so. All of these guys are HARDCORE v3.5 players, they always talk about it, and they always mention how much better it is than other versions of D&D. Except lately, I hear a few comments popped in here and there... I think the veil of complex D&D is finally starting to break, once and for all. Just last Saturday three comments were made at the table:

"If this was C&C this battle would be over already."
"Why is is so hard to do everything in this game!"

Both of these comments are attributed to hardcore v3.5 players, who I convinced into a 3 year C&C campaign in the past. During that campaign they would always praise V3.5 and the detail it had over C&C. Now, they are turning around.

"I don't remember this game any more. I purged my memory banks of it and filled the space with C&C."

I personally don't care what version of these games you play. You can like whatever version is best for you. But C&C, this is my bag. This is the game that makes players want to PLAY D&D, and play specific rules. It's the game that I can run, and get anybody to play, if they only give it a chance. C&C is for me!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Once you go Troll, there's no other way to roll. :P lol

(yeah. I just had to go there.)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:Currently I'm playing in a v3.5E Forgotten Realms campaign, have been doing so for 9 months or so. All of these guys are HARDCORE v3.5 players, they always talk about it, and they always mention how much better it is than other versions of D&D. Except lately, I hear a few comments popped in here and there... I think the veil of complex D&D is finally starting to break, once and for all. Just last Saturday three comments were made at the table:

"If this was C&C this battle would be over already."
"Why is is so hard to do everything in this game!"

Both of these comments are attributed to hardcore v3.5 players, who I convinced into a 3 year C&C campaign in the past. During that campaign they would always praise V3.5 and the detail it had over C&C. Now, they are turning around.

"I don't remember this game any more. I purged my memory banks of it and filled the space with C&C."

I personally don't care what version of these games you play. You can like whatever version is best for you. But C&C, this is my bag. This is the game that makes players want to PLAY D&D, and play specific rules. It's the game that I can run, and get anybody to play, if they only give it a chance. C&C is for me!

~O
I like to run and play a lot of RPG's, but the simpler they are to run or play, the more I am going to run or play them. The more complex they are, the shorter the period of time I am going to want to run or play them for. So that is why I love C&C for "D&D" type gaming, and Traveller for sci fi.