Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Gringnr
Ulthal

Re: Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Post by Gringnr »

I'm up for whatever. I would def try Mongoose or even Stars Without Number (which IIRC is based on Traveller). I love classic (warts and all), probably as much out of nostalgia as anything. Playing or running Mongoose (I have a bunch of the stuff in PDF) either one I would be willing to try.

I had fun running that game. Would do it again. Would also play whatever else. I am deffo not picky.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Y'all are so much fun to play with, I don't really care what game it is. I am def interested in sci-fi gaming, though. Hell, I would even play Space Opera with you. Maybe even Universe. As far as Star Frontiers, isn't that being distributed freee by whoever owns the rights now?

Don't make me bust out Albedo Anthropomorphics on you (imagine a very Traveller-like setting/feel, but with furry animals).

Edit: I unironically like Albedo Anthropomorphics as a game. But NOT Albedo: Platinum Catalyst, which is a whole different system.

Edit 2: my love of Albedo aside, I hate furries on general principle just sayin

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I would also play FASA Star Trek in a heartbeat

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Hell if you guys are really feeling kooky we can play ICE's Spacemaster

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Not that I'm particularly interested in it, but why hasn't anyone mentioned Star Siege?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I forgot about StarSiege . . I had it up on my closet shelf. I would be willing to play this.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I'm mainly interested in Traveller and variants thereof. Not drawing any lines in the sand, though, that's for sure. Especially since Stars Without Number is said to be based on Traveller. Also, I'd be very interested in how Penny-Whistle runs a game. Do psionics exist in SWN?

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Upon perusal, SWN seems to be a retro clone of OD&D mixed with Traveller. Kind of like Star Siege or White Star but with Traveller-like skills, at least at first glance. Not my preferred space system, but I'm easy, and I'm sure any game I play with this group will be enjoyable so..... I'm down for w/e. The story's the thing, and if my classic Traveller fumblings didn't prove that, I dunno what would. I still have some Trav left in me, but would probably follow y'all anywher, game-wise.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Gringnr wrote:I'm mainly interested in Traveller and variants thereof. Not drawing any lines in the sand, though, that's for sure. Especially since Stars Without Number is said to be based on Traveller. Also, I'd be very interested in how Penny-Whistle runs a game. Do psionics exist in SWN?
I prefer SWN only because the rules are concise. I only need to look through one book whereas we have a folder full of Traveller stuff. I don't even know where to begin. That said: I am totally ok with continuing with Traveller. When we played with Treebore he remarked frequently on how similar Traveller and SWN were. Psionics do exist in SWN and act a little like magic in space. I think those rules are optional.

I really don't want to take your time slot. If I do run a game again it probably would not be on Sunday. Anyway, it will be a long time until we need to make any decision since we are just beginning with Aergraith's game.

As for my game master skills ... they are definitely a work in progress.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

@ Gringnr . . Penny ran a great SWN game. You would have enjoyed it, I'm sure.

And Gringnr, you ran a great Traveller game - for sure!

The thing is . . to me, anyway ~ a weak or mediocre game can be made into excellence by the GM, right?

Starsiege didn't excite me, back when I bought it. But after playing in Penny's game and Gringnr's - I can appreciate the game much more and would be happy to try it.

And/or . . . continuing with anything SWN or TRAV!

:P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

100% agreed, Rhu.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny/Aergraith . . do you own StarSiege? If so, what is your opinion?

The more I look at it, the more I like it!

:) https://www.trolllord.com/forums/postin ... 23&t=16340#

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I've been reading the StarSiege relaunch thread and I see that Aergraith has (or did have) the game.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions, Aergraith.

And if Penny has checked out the game, I would welcome your opinion as well.

Gringnr, I box set comes with 4 copies of the field manual (player's guide). So, if you're interested in seeing that - I can send you a copy.

8-)

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Yeah, that'd be cool. I believe you have my email addy.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I know nothing about it but I am willing to learn ...

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:I've been reading the StarSiege relaunch thread and I see that Aergraith has (or did have) the game.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions, Aergraith.
I found it frustrating. Maybe there's a good game there, underneath the 3 column layout, things out of order and spread across books, and the setting that throws away the trappings from the operations and field manuals, but I never got around to even making a complete character.

It sort of reminds me of Traveller 5 in how there is a way to consistently design anything in the game, from sophonts to starcraft, from planets to pistols. I suppose at least Star Siege did it in a manageable number of pages.

I guess at this point I am not too keen on it, but like most games, if you can figure it out and explain it to me I'll try it.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks for posting.

I've just spent the morning reading parts of SS and then re-read that SS thread about relaunching the game. It was very interesting and challenging to get through at times.

I like the game and would play if someone else would run the game.

If I were to run it - I would use the C&C ruleset completely (maybe needing some houserules - not sure quite yet).

And I would do this for Star Frontiers, Metamorphosis Alpha, Traveller or any other Sci-fi game.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Impossible! You can't use a game to play a different game!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I would play the shit out of Metamorphosis Alpha, but it might trigger unpleasant memories of "The Starlost" for Penny-Whistle.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I have PDFs of White Star somewhere. It's also an OD&D retroclone.....in spaaaaaaaaaace. I didn't really like it. My main sci-fi interest is Traveller and Traveller-like games. But as I have repeatedly said, I will play whatever.

I would love to play Albedo before I die, but on the other hand, furries. Ugh.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:Impossible! You can't use a game to play a different game!
"I know, right?"

:lol: Hate that expression!!! :P

Mebbe, I'm starting to view other games as either a campaign world that could use C&C to drive/run . . . or it's a "toolbox" that offers cool stuff, but I still get to use C&C to play it.

MA . . . read the books, early and later - played the game with Ward - read the books again ~ and still didn't understand how to GM the game. It is probably me that I didn't get it. I might be too lazy and stubborn to try and fathom any other gaming system than C&C.

SWNs was pretty darn good, I probably could GM that with a little more reading.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:I would love to play Albedo before I die, but on the other hand, furries. Ugh.
Hehe, I played a kobold (kobolds ate my baby) - so I could probably play a furry*

:P

*The Redwall book series by Brian Jacques are really excellent and the TLG game Harvesters by Deogolf seems like a cool game that I would try.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote: MA . . . read the books, early and later - played the game with Ward - read the books again ~ and still didn't understand how to GM the game. It is probably me that I didn't get it. I might be too lazy and stubborn to try and fathom any other gaming system than C&C.
I've run a little MA 1E. With the original, you need to be comfortable with the fact that you are on your own and the rules aren't going to tell you much. There may be 2 ways to do the same thing (missile combat) or no ways (what is the weapon class of a tiger bite). Though hanging out at the metamorphosis alpha forums and asking Jim is fun. You might elicit a sigh: I think the expectation is you will step up and fix whatever is missing and not sweat it too much.

If you want a modern, consistent MA experience the Mudpuppy Games 4th edition was pretty good.
Or just run Mutant Future and place it on the starship Rhuvein. Or just use the weapons and monsters from Mutant Future in C&C.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Gringnr wrote:I would play the shit out of Metamorphosis Alpha, but it might trigger unpleasant memories of "The Starlost" for Penny-Whistle.
Starlost is awesome. I am not sure why she doesn't like it. Though she doesn't like Blake's 7 either.

SDon78
Skobbit

Post by SDon78 »

Responding to earlier comments, I've played a good deal of Star Frontiers and it's expansions through the years and am not sure this is one that stands up to playability the way modern systems do (combat, in particular, always seemed to become a repetitive chore after a few encounters).

I've always wanted to give Space Opera a try, but never imagined there'd ever be an the opportunity to do so.

Another decent but wholly forgotten sci-fi RPG worth noting is Shatterzone. I believe I own all the original materials but am not sure how we would implement the gritty TORG-like card-based skills and combat system using virtual tabletop.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Space Opera is a typically overthought FGU game. I would still play it because why not. Some of the modules look like they would be cool to use with other games. But that could also be said about any number of games. Space Master has some great modules. So does FASA Star Trek. Even Albedo (did I mention that I like Albedo?) has two excellent modules that I would love to adapt to Trav. At the end of the day, I will PLAY anything. I would be willing to RUN Traveller (classic or I will try Mongoose). I would also try to run Albedo because I love it even though furries ugh.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

SDon78 wrote:Responding to earlier comments, I've played a good deal of Star Frontiers and it's expansions through the years and am not sure this is one that stands up to playability the way modern systems do (combat, in particular, always seemed to become a repetitive chore after a few encounters).

I've always wanted to give Space Opera a try, but never imagined there'd ever be an the opportunity to do so.

Another decent but wholly forgotten sci-fi RPG worth noting is Shatterzone. I believe I own all the original materials but am not sure how we would implement the gritty TORG-like card-based skills and combat system using virtual tabletop.

I don't know what the cards are like but there is a card dealing system on roll 20 that might work if it is a matter of dealing them out or something.

To Gringnr: Happily my few experiences playing Metamorphosis Alpha, didn't trigger any memories of The Starlost. Whew.

To Rhuvein: When my son was growing up he was obsessed with Redwall. Your mention brought back happy memories. I would absolutely join a Harvesters game.

To Aergraith: Re: The Starlost, as if you don't know why! pshaw

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Aergraith wrote:
Gringnr wrote:I would play the shit out of Metamorphosis Alpha, but it might trigger unpleasant memories of "The Starlost" for Penny-Whistle.
Starlost is awesome. I am not sure why she doesn't like it. Though she doesn't like Blake's 7 either.
Ever seen Star Cops? Sapphire & Steel? If not, you'd probably like them as well.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Ayo, for any who might be interested, there is a Traveller card game in the works, and they are seeking playtesters. Ya gotta sign a NDA (natch) and fill out a survey. Here is the link to their subforum on Citizens of the Imperium:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discus ... .php?f=150