i miss gaming...

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Fizz
Lore Drake

i miss gaming...

Post by Fizz »

Well, i haven't been on for quite some time. This is mostly due to my moving and then starting graduate school, and being basically swamped with courses and research, while still trying to work (mostly) full time. So... yeah, little time for gaming.

As such, i thought i would check in and see what is new with the Trolls in the last many months (maybe more than a year since i last logged on, i can't recall).

So, what's new everyone? :)

It looks like there are new printings of the CKG and M&T. Any big changes in those? What other nifty new products have i missed?

Maybe once i can get through this big end of semester school rush, i can find some time to get back to gaming in the new year. But we'll see... heh.

-Fizz

mmbutter
Red Cap

Re: i miss gaming...

Post by mmbutter »

I run two online games weekly, if you're interested in possibly joining one of those. Sunday night (7-10pm US/Central) and Tuesday night (8-11pm US/Central). The nice thing is that you don't have to go anywhere to play... :-)

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Thanks- i will keep that in mind, and see how next semester treats me in terms of time.

I see there is a new printing of the CKG. Is there anything new in it, or is it just errata and tweaks and new cover art?

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Live games in Erie, PA.. but stop missing, grab a random group and play a one nighter to blow off steam.. get folks who would normally not play.. have PCs made already and let them just fill in a few things and roll one score.. but go fast, have fun..

stuff is always going on, stay in touch..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Try to at least getan online voice-chat game in every once and a while. I know pour moi, if I don't get my gaming in, I start to crack.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

slimykuotoan wrote:Try to at least getan online voice-chat game in every once and a while. I know pour moi, if I don't get my gaming in, I start to crack.
Listen to Slimy, he's pretty much the one who started this whole Skype gaming thing here. Seriously, if it wasn't for him setting up some games back in '07, I probably wouldn't have been keen on the whole online gaming thing and would have missed out.

So if you can't get a face-to-face group going, try using Skype (or some other voice chat) with possibly a virtual tabletop, it's the best way to get your gaming fix without having to travel.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:Listen to Slimy, he's pretty much the one who started this whole Skype gaming thing here.
Not exactly.

He was certainly an early bird, but it was Rigon, Aramis, Treebore and I (mebbe slimy was in that first game) who started the online gaming after skathros bailed on a Sunday afternoon game he was going to run for us.

The game never took off, so the rest of us got together and started doing Sundays.

Nwelte came along soon as did Jaybird and mebbe a few others (chime in, you early birds, if I'm not remembering you).

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rhuvein wrote:
Kayolan wrote:Listen to Slimy, he's pretty much the one who started this whole Skype gaming thing here.
Not exactly.

He was certainly an early bird, but it was Rigon, Aramis, Treebore and I (mebbe slimy was in that first game) who started the online gaming after skathros bailed on a Sunday afternoon game he was going to run for us.

The game never took off, so the rest of us got together and started doing Sundays.

Nwelte came along soon as did Jaybird and mebbe a few others (chime in, you early birds, if I'm not remembering you).

I wasn't aware of that Rhu, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realized just how far back things went :!:

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Not exactly.

I wasn't aware of that Rhu, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realized just how far back things went :!:
Yeah, I was hoping to find some dates, but many of the old gaming threads didn't make it herr from the earlier forum when TLG migrated.

I know Rigon had an early great gaming thread that got lost.

Also, the forum before this had a chat feature built in and I think skathros was going to use that. Rigon and I played in his DF chat game before that.

Anyway, when he bailed - many of the online features (SKYPE and Maptools were available) and it was time to move forward from text chat.

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:
Not exactly.

I can't recall who ran what first. I know Slimy came to the forums after I was already there, but as to when I ran a game/campaign versus Slimy, or anyone else, I can't recall. All I know is I started doing C&C on line during the Chbristmas/New Years break of 2005 into 2006. Can't recall if I joined a game, or started one, first. All I can say for sure, is that my current Monday group has 2 other people in it I have been running or playing C&C with for over 11 years now.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Ok, so I got my history a bit mixed up.

Slimy first introduced me to C&C as I was in a Lejendary Adventure game over at Dragonsfoot.

Lord Seurek, Treebore, and Slimy were all in that game.

The game was cancelled because our LM at the time, Wulfgarn, was not able to run it any longer.

Slimy suggested C&C, of which I knew next to nothing of. Afterwards, Lord Seurek started up his game here and that was my first experience with C&C!

link to the game: https://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewto ... =23&t=3815

I think a few of you might remember being in that game :)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Kayolan wrote:Ok, so I got my history a bit mixed up.

Slimy first introduced me to C&C as I was in a Lejendary Adventure game over at Dragonsfoot.

The game was cancelled because our LM at the time, Wulfgarn, was not able to run it any longer.

Slimy suggested C&C, of which I knew next to nothing of. Afterwards, Lord Seurek started up his game here and that was my first experience with C&C!

Wow, that was my first C&C game and my first online / Skype game and it was ....9 years ago .... wow I now again feel old ... I wonder how that temple my duelist restored in one of the Dales is doing now ....
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rhuvein wrote:Also, the forum before this had a chat feature built in and I think skathros was going to use that. Rigon and I played in his DF chat game before that.
Do you remember what system Skathros was running in that DF game? I remember playing a B/X game he DMd on DF years ago. I'm wondering if we were in the same game, but I didn't know it. As I recall, we only played maybe 3 sessions. We were hit by a wyvern on the open road and I think some of the players got butt-hurt because the encounter was so tough relative to our PCs' level. In the first session, we explored a dungeon with orcs that used magic rocks or something that operated as surveillance cameras to watch intruders coming through the main entrance.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I thought I was the first one here to start up a voice-chat game.

When Treebore chimes in, we'll know for sure.

Either way, I remember the first time SKYPE reared its head, my FIRST thought was: Oh my gods, oh my gods! I can run a game through this conference call!

I remember having this ridiculous setup as well- not yet knowing even about headsets with built in mikes. I had my comp speakers on one side of the room, and a microphone actually hanging from the ceiling. My wife sat across from me, and I actually had a DM screen and dice in front of me in order to to DM Lord Seurek, Damage-Devil, and my wife through a DCC.

After that, I talked with Treebore on these forums, picked up C&C, and we started a Monday game.

Great, great memories. And I've no idea what I would have done without voice-chat gaming, and all the wonderful friends I've met here. :)
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Also, the forum before this had a chat feature built in and I think skathros was going to use that. Rigon and I played in his DF chat game before that.
Do you remember what system Skathros was running in that DF game? I remember playing a B/X game he DMd on DF years ago. I'm wondering if we were in the same game, but I didn't know it. As I recall, we only played maybe 3 sessions. We were hit by a wyvern on the open road and I think some of the players got butt-hurt because the encounter was so tough relative to our PCs' level. In the first session, we explored a dungeon with orcs that used magic rocks or something that operated as surveillance cameras to watch intruders coming through the main entrance.
I don't think it was that game, as none of that sounds familiar. But he was using C&C at the time.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The first voice chat game was the one with Tree, Aramis, Slimey, and a couple of Tree's kids. I had done a couple of abortive PBP/chat games, but none of those lasted longer than a few weeks/sessions. The voice chat game is still going strong, even after something like 10-11 years.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yaaaaaaay. It WAS me!!!!!!

Meeeeee!!!!!!!!

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Long time has past since those early games for sure. I go back from time to time and look over my thread of the Dalelands game I ran for a few years. Was quite the run for sure. Funny. It was only yesterday that I reread my campaign notes and all the info on everyones characters. Maybe I'll reopen the lands again.....

I think the first game I played before running that one was the one slimy ran with myself, his wife and Damage-Devil. I do recall playing in one of trees games with Rhu and rigon and a few others.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here is the thread that started the Monday game.
http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... =23&t=1907

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rigon wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:
I don't think it was that game, as none of that sounds familiar. But he was using C&C at the time.

R-
Definitely not the same game. I wonder whatever happened to Skath. He stopped posting at DF long before I exited.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Rigon wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:

R-
Definitely not the same game. I wonder whatever happened to Skath. He stopped posting at DF long before I exited.
He still posts over there every now and then.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Currently, I have to rework my schedule due to my wife's commitments this new year.

Sooooooo, I'm running a Cortex Classic SKYPE game -my other favorite rpg system- Tuesday nights, in a Mad Maxy/Gamma Worldy setting.

Cortex:

https://youtu.be/yhXw0VaMyqk

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Kayolan wrote:Ok, so I got my history a bit mixed up.

If Im not mistaken Josh, I told you about cnc during one of our LA games with Martin.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I am the wellspring, from which all voice-chat gaming flowed....

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Wow- this thread went up in post count fast. It's about 5x what it was when i last checked. :)

I had no idea about any of this history, so very interesting reading.

Thanks for the support and encouragement to everyone. As it happens, turns out i have one more course to take (galactic dynamics- woot!) this semester. So a busy 3+ months for me, some research, and hopefully a break for some serious gaming. But i'm still going to try to find some other spare moments during those 3 months too. I will definitely ping some people here for some games in that event.

-Fizz

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:I thought I was the first one here to start up a voice-chat game.
Right, you started that thread that led to the game that Treebore ran.

I stand corrected.

All hail, slimykuotan!

I found skathos' thread - he did indeed start a chat game (May 14th 2007 thread) which we played an then moved to SKYPE and then skath disappeared and Rigon took over the game.

Skathros thread here:

https://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewto ... =23&t=2108

Tree's game actually began on April 30th 2007.

Close timing and yeah fun beginnings.

Sorry to Fizz for taking over this thread.

:D

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Rhuvein wrote:

I stand corrected.

All hail, slimykuotan!
Yes! All hail me!!!!!

;)