Gary Con IX March 2017

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Gary Con IX March 2017

Post by Tadhg »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Omote wrote:As for C&C I got into Sir Osis' Sabenchor Ascendant game, as well as Steve's Crazy Big Table game.

~O
I thought about registering for Steve's big game this year (I've never played in it), but I could only do one featured event and went with Harley Stroh's DCC RPG game. I've heard great things about Stroh and I wanted to use my one featured event for something where I would get more individual attention. I really need to play in Steve's game someday. Maybe I'll get a gold badge next year so I have more featured events to play with.
Hi Bm.

Agreeing with what Omote said and . . .

I played in Steve's big game at LGGC and TrollCON. Easily 2 of the best gaming experiences of all time. They rank up there alongside Rob, Frank, Tim and Gary!

I'd say even if the game event closes up, you might want to swing by Steve's table, the night he CKs to see if there are "no shows" and you might get the chance to join his game.

Good luck!

Rhu [who hopes to attend GaryCON 25 - after paying for daughter's tuition bills]. Oh wait, prolly won't be alive, but mebbe she will attend and meet all youse guys and yer children!

:lol:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

<shrug> Too bad, I think that would've helped TLG a lot. Oh well...
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

I am going to Gary Con this year. What is the best way to find games to be in? This will be my first Con.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

If you preregister, you can go through the event catalog and sign up in advance. The Gary Con website has the details for this.

If you register at the door, you can join games that have openings. All of the tables will have signs to say either "Players Wanted" or "Table Full". Look for a game displaying a green "Players Wanted" sign and jump in. There is also supposed to be a bulletin board where people can post notices for pick-up games in the open gaming areas.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

nwelte1 wrote:I am going to Gary Con this year. What is the best way to find games to be in? This will be my first Con.
Make sure you track down Jaybird. You will most likely find him in the bar. Man, I wish I was able to go.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Had a blast at Garycon. Did not track down Jaybird, but meet Stephen Chenault and co.

The Trolls offered great service. Stephen took the time to speak with me about future plans and how he plans/runs his large session during the Con. Super friendly staff at the booth. They certainly lightened my wallet for me, while at the same time giving out discounts and free items. I also got to watch Stephen run his session. I was very envious of the players that made into his group. 18 players all spinning out of control. Stephen was a true artist in spinning the story, engaging everyone, and pushing the adventure forward. I was inspired by his session and his ability to run the game all through the theater of the mind. Next year I plan to register on day one and snag a space at his table. He was by far the best DM/CK I saw in session. Other greats I wish I would have seen in actin were Ward and Carr. Spoke with both, but did not see them in action.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

It was a great time all around, folks!

I really enjoyed getting to game / hang out / enjoy some Spotted Cow / talk with a lot of folks: Cloak-n-Dagger, Chainsaw, francisca, Handy Haversack, Big Perm, ligedog, Ghul, grodog, tacojohn, gizmomathboy, chgowiz, GuyFullerton, Steve C. and Tim B. from TLG, Ross, Kevin, Josh, Emily, Ernesto, Dell, Morgan, Jeff, Nick, Collette, and anyone else my partially undead brain may be failing to remember by name.

The games in which I played were excellent. Special praise goes out to Cloak-n-Dagger for his White Box Adventures scenario, Buried, to Chainsaw for his Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea scenario, Foolsgrave, and to chgowiz for allowing me a 5-hour glimpse into his most excellent campaign world.

I'm giving some serious consideration to running a C&C event for GC 2018.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

'Twas a great show, probably one of the best RPG conventions I have ever been too. Steve's game was fun, even though there were 18 of us at the table. How he manages that, I'll never really understand. I was happy that I am now 0 for 3 in surviving his adventures over the years. Got to play some games that I never get too, Like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! This was my first GaryCon at the Grand Geneva resort, and it was spectacular... I mean they give out free beer to the attendees, and FEED THE GMs! How cool is that? Fantastically well run convention, and a great experience overall. I already have my rooms booked for next year.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I didn't get to play any C&C this year. Fingers are crossed for a return to form at Gary Con X. Room is booked as well.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Yeah, it was great finally meeting Buttmonkey as well as several other forum folks. No C&C gaming this time, but Steve and I were able to set plans in motion for both Victorious adventures and possibly a few C&C ones. We will see what the stars hold for us!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rhu is kicking around some thoughts (yeah that might be good - sometimes) -

anyway.

Next CON will be 10 and 10 years after Gary's passing.

I'd really love to run a HUGE table event - Fields of Battle!

I have tons of minis and props (castles, siege engines, buildings, towers, dragons and more) BUT!!

I'm not a good CK and certainly not good enough to run FoB.

I've reach out to Casey on FB to see if he might attend GC.

But, if not - perhaps some of our excellent CKs here might consider running this with my help.

Also thinking about a FoB relaunch from TLG. Mebbe Steve might have some interest. I haven't contacted him - waiting to see what Casey thinks about this.

Whatya think?

:P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Casey wants me to come to the NTCon, hehe - yeah he lives closer to that con! :lol:

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

There wasn't a dedicated C&C room exclusively for C&C use. I suspect, but don't recall, that the C&C games were spread out over multiple rooms.