Map Scale

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Pittbadger
Henchman

Map Scale

Post by Pittbadger »

I recently purchased the map packs and Codex of Aihrde. I am enjoying the history of the setting a lot, but am trying to make a little sense of the maps.

What is the actual scale? The all say 1 inch equal 24 miles, regardless if the map is 54 inches wide (the two maps that are half Ursal) or 36 inches wide (the single map of Ursal).

How have people handled this that have more time in Aihrde under their belts? Any distances between landmarks that you have decided on using?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Map Scale

Post by alcyone »

I think long-time TLG customers have resigned themselves to the fact that these maps are always going to be contradictory and inaccurate.

For specific areas like modules, I've searched the PDFs for all mentioned distances, and started using dots and lines to represent the relative vectors and then reconcile them with the maps as best I could. With larger distances between different states on the map, I haven't had much experience, but at that point you are on your own: change the scale or change the map or whatever it is you need to do.

When I first started playing C&C I asked more of the books, modules, and maps. Today, when I hit a snag I make something up and am much happier, and that seems to be what most people do.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Erde/Airhde started out having no official scale, and the Trolls, have never really paid attention to making sure the scale of one product fits the scale of other products.

So yeah, as Gabe says above, work out your own scale, it will be far more consistent, and make you happier over the long run.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Pittbadger
Henchman

Post by Pittbadger »

Good advice. I've been gaming for decades, but I am a bit new to the Trolls. As an engineer by trade this kind of thing pains me, but I'll figure something out. I think the creative content of the Troll products is great - I will overlook some of these issues...

Thanks for the advice!