Domesday Vol VIII Farm House with Secret Cave Contest

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Domesday Vol VIII Farm House with Secret Cave Contest

Post by Captain_K »

We NOW HAVE SIX authors, one for each room, to create this adventure for Issue IX. 3rd to 4th level for 4-6 PCs. I'm happy to send a word template, otherwise send me a word document. But FIRST, here in this thread claim your room. You can give hints as you wish. Remember this is a contest with Troll prizes promised and bonus points will be awarded for unique creatures, spells, and items. The rooms are named on the map in Issue VIII (get it and post your comments and room claims here or contact me through the Knights of the Crusade pages).
1) Old Home (the whole one story thing with loft space if you wish) - LURKER 8-)
2) The barn and all its storage (again assume loft space if you wish) - Trinket ;)
3) Bat Cave and poorly hidden entrance into the Commons and the Treasure Room Treebore :mrgreen:
4) The Unholy Room - Go0gleplex :twisted:
5) The Torture Room - Lord Dynel :)
6) The Crypt - :D Chuck

What fun we can have with this.. keep in mind, just 3rd to 4th level and we'd like it not too be.. boring. Its really up to you all. I encourage authors to conspire and plot between yourselves privately. We all want to actually run this thing, so keep it a secret!

I do plan to Issue Vol IX this summer, so please do not delay, its only one room :ugeek:
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Domesday Vol VIII Farm House with Secret Cave Contest

Post by Captain_K »

I know of one individual willing to do one room.. no one else? No interest? I would have thought this would be easily accepted....
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I want to jump in but ... heck, you make time for what you prioritize ... count me in

I call dibs on the old home, unless someone beat me to it. If so, my 2nd choice is the bat cave.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

This is for the map on Page 22, right? Okay...I'll bite. Count me in for the Unholy Room then. I have some...ideas. (incredibly evil smile).

I don't see a scale. Assume passages are 10' or 5' wide?
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Two claimed, one promised, four to go. Its like a kickstarter! Very exciting!
I'm very excited to stitch this thing together and have my group roll test it then publish it over the summer in Issue IX!
Don't forget, as unique and new as you can make it, items, creatures, tricks, traps, whatever you got, throw it at them. Just remember, each room cannot be a death sentence... just the promise of one. But you all know that :}

Yep, no scale, but based on a dinner table chair, the halls are narrow just 5' or so.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

4, treasure and common room. Should I do the loot with the intention of levelling the 4th level party, or just make progess, or is that my call to make?

4th level for max of 6 PC's. OK, I have a starting point.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rgr old home it is ...

Can I take some liberties with the description. On the map, it looks all nice and neat and clean. I want to lean toward 'cluttered and abandoned for at least a season' in my description

Plus, as it is an 'out building' and probably the first or second thing the go in on the adventure, I'll try to make it interesting, but pull the punches a bit so the party has enough oomph to make it to Go0's evil ideas. I'll treat it as an opening appetizer for a buffet of badness served up in the cave ;)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Lurker, The map is done. If you can convince MadCartopgrapher to update, then anything is possible and it will go with the map. You could start your description with, "You can see in your mind's eye what this quaint little farmhouse once must have looked like (see map).. but now it has fallen into disrepair and several months of abandonment as is evident by the layer of dust on the neatly set kitchen table and implements. They must have left just before dinner was served..."

So, Its your room, do with it as you will.. enough notes here to help others keep their rooms "inline"... or secretly conspire with the other authors.. totally up to you (all).

Very excited, can't wait to roll test it on my team, Captain_K

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Treebore, The common area between the rooms and the treasure room are yours.. I personally do not give experience for loot.. wow, that would be a cool article how to handle loot, how much, what to do with it, its unexpected curses on the players and the CK.. sorry, I digress, wishing for a cool article on treasure and wealth for Issue IX.. back to your treasure room..

Its your room, have at it, lots of risk should come with lots of reward. If this small 7 room adventure promises one, or two, level advancements I think that's ideal.

Doing some math, this room is not rectangular but if I scale based again on a chair in the house, the room is roughly 20x30 feet in area. Assume 10' high ceiling. Packed full is 6,000 cubic feet or 38,571 gallons or 32,785,350 gp at one coin per oz (1,024.5 tons of gold) or if you use 5 coins per oz 163,926,750 gp.

I think that will get you a level.. if you want room to enter the room and not kill the party in a flood of treasure (what a great trap, smothered and crushed in gold coins.. what a way for a dwarf to die happy :} ), then I would estimate about 1/10th that or less depending on your treasure piling techniques.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I have a drafted room from Go0gleplex already!

Please try to chat with your peers and get them to do a room!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I like the dilemma of too much treasure to carry... see how creative they can get and extra points for carrying more home?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

We need three more writers. I have two already done and in my hands. Folks who have volunteered.. please help this along, get some others you know to get on one of these last three rooms.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

At the Captain's request, sign me up for the Torture Room!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Praise to the LORD... (sorry been waiting to do that for years)... we're down to just two rooms!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Captain, I am finished. Where do I send it? You want it PM'd to you?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

On the Knights of the Crusade page, I thought there was a way to email me directly either via my page name (Captain_K) same there as here.. BUT I cannot find said link either via me or via the Domesday pages.. so I will PM you me preferred email address to send things, word document or word friendly format please.. I have to cut and paste all into a big word document.

Thanks for the fast action, that's three write ups in hand already!

Issue IX promises to be pretty darn nice!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Bat Cave and the Barn.. any more takers?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

We need the entrance way with its bat cave... someone, anyone, let's get this baby fully finished.

Again, If anyone wants to see what I have so far, just ask, I have 3.5 drafted from the writers already...

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Just one more room guys, its the entrance and the big intro to the underground.. any takers?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Come on guys, just one more tiny room and this thing is a success.. now I know how kickstarter folks must feel!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I am so very pleased to announce that we have our 7 authors. Several of which have already submitted their works and they are in the draft of Issue IX of Domesday.. this issue will that THREE adventures and will likely weigh in at over 100 pages... may have to actually "save stuff for the next editor" and I get to leave most of my stuff out too!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Oops, I misread Buttmonkey's PM to me. He cannot take the last room. Folks we still need one more author.. Any one?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I believe we are done now? I also did the final needed room, correct?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Thanks to great ideas from the SIX authors.. yep, that's some clever math to fix the issue of no 7th author.. there are now just 6 authors.. thanks Tree.. always fixing things.. I've got many things being pasted together and I think they will tell an interesting story.. now where did I put my number 6 needle and black cat gut????

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Four rooms in my hands, just two to go!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Thinking of roll testing at Origins

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Captain_K wrote:Thinking of roll testing at Origins
I'm in St Louis, see post in the General forum for details, and am hoping to drive over to Origins on Saturday.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Missed your email. Missed you too. But I got to hangout with the Trolls at the booth and a few meals/drinks too. Great time.

I also ended up running two game because the CK/DM did not show.. so I got through all the contest adventure. Your guardian with THE battle. The lucky horse shoe to the forehead was the tide turned for the recently crisped team. I now have some good ideas how to stitch it all together.

Kirk

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Guardian ... & I was worried about my thugs and gnolls may overwhelm the party at the start ... I guess I should have ramped it up a bit to compete ;)

I can't wait to see how you wove it all together !

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Trust me, yours was no cake walk either and I did not even sick the Gnolls or harpy on them. The bad guys did well, a pair in the one room each threw a dagger at the fighter 20 and a 1. I let the victim roll both... the 20, we use old arms law crit and fumble tables.. class C critical and after 30 years of gaming I saw (if I recall correctly) my first 00.. dagger into one ear, sticking out the other, instant kill.. softened that to -5 h.p. bleeding out.. the house, the pit, the "thing at the bottom" all GREAT.. the black Druid ritual stone.. all great stuff.. I made the thing at the bottom a druid's bog sacrifice... I think Davis C (who sat in on the game playing a Gnome Druid) really loved it.. I added details to the over grown herb garden.. it was great fun!

Finished it the second day with a new group...

Cheers, Captain K