City / Town Adventure

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Lore Drake

City / Town Adventure

Post by maximus »

My players are just about to finish Slave Pits of the Undercity. I'd like them to spend some time in Highport before moving on to the Stockade. Any suggestions on a pre made town or city that would fit? Looking for something gritty that I can either use right away or spend a little time converting. I don't have time to create anything from scratch.

Thanks!

serleran
Mogrl

Re: City / Town Adventure

Post by serleran »

Middenheim from Warhammer Fantasy RPG.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Tree, Don't you have plans to start this? lay out the idea for them.. Kirk

The Madcartographer made a nice map... what became of that? Were we not going to "open source" each building and guild?

Kirk
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I just got this from one of tree's evil temptations from 'Bundle of Holding'

http://www.0onegames.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id/252

I haven't read it yet so don't know if it would be what you are looking for. With a quick glance, it looks interesting, but can't say for sure.

:shock:

Nice, I have NEVER seen that before ...

I'm not a 'warhammer' rules / setting fan, but the map and background look amazing
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Captain_K wrote:Tree, Don't you have plans to start this? lay out the idea for them.. Kirk

The Madcartographer made a nice map... what became of that? Were we not going to "open source" each building and guild?

Kirk

The map is all that has been done. I don't recall seeing a single write up for the town, just the other adventure had encounters done up for it.

As for the Great City that Lurker linked, its a GREAT city, IE very big,and isn't a fit for Highport. Middenheim is very big too, but at least fits the feel of Highport.

Another one to look for, that is pretty much a perfect fit for Highpport, is Goodman Game's Punjar. The first one they did of Punjar for 4E D&D is the best one to get. Its in their DCC line.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

All great suggestions, thanks guys!

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

If you can find the old TSR supplement Slavers by Sean Reynolds, it has a write up of Highport in it, and there is some information in the old A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords supermodule, not to be confused with A0-4 Against the Slave Lords which is a new intro module and the original A1-4 modules. A0-4 doesn't have all of the fluff that was added to the super-module. Also, there is a good resource here - http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?title=Highport that is fan made but good content. There is a module in Dungeon 221, made for AD&D 1E with a 4E conversion set), "Lowdown in Highport", haven't really read through it all, but there is a little information on the city, and gives you and adventure within the city should you choose to use it.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

koralas wrote:If you can find the old TSR supplement Slavers by Sean Reynolds, it has a write up of Highport in it, and there is some information in the old A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords supermodule, not to be confused with A0-4 Against the Slave Lords which is a new intro module and the original A1-4 modules. A0-4 doesn't have all of the fluff that was added to the super-module. Also, there is a good resource here - http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?title=Highport that is fan made but good content. There is a module in Dungeon 221, made for AD&D 1E with a 4E conversion set), "Lowdown in Highport", haven't really read through it all, but there is a little information on the city, and gives you and adventure within the city should you choose to use it.
Thanks, I'm checking this out as well!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

So the group just finished killing the Orc chief and bodyguards. However, the thief failed his save when checking out the trapped chest and has been paralyzed from a Curse left with a Glyph of Warding. My son is distraught on what to do. The 2 clerics in the party are level 4. They tried casting Remove Paralysis, which obviously didn't work. They deduced the condition is some kind of curse, but neither is high enough to cast Remove Curse. They could try looking around Highport for someone with a Remove Curse scroll, which would take some development on my part, or they could make their way out of town and head for the nearest good or neutral city, with the paralyzed thief in tow. They obviously can't continue searching for the merchants they were hired to recover, which are on their way to the Stockade via slave caravan.

I'm going to let him make the decisions, but thought I'd get some thoughts or suggestions here as well.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

maximus wrote:So the group just finished killing the Orc chief and bodyguards. However, the thief failed his save when checking out the trapped chest and has been paralyzed from a Curse left with a Glyph of Warding. My son is distraught on what to do. The 2 clerics in the party are level 4. They tried casting Remove Paralysis, which obviously didn't work. They deduced the condition is some kind of curse, but neither is high enough to cast Remove Curse. They could try looking around Highport for someone with a Remove Curse scroll, which would take some development on my part, or they could make their way out of town and head for the nearest good or neutral city, with the paralyzed thief in tow. They obviously can't continue searching for the merchants they were hired to recover, which are on their way to the Stockade via slave caravan.

I'm going to let him make the decisions, but thought I'd get some thoughts or suggestions here as well.
Don't discount the possibility of even an evil cleric casting Remove Curse, it will come with a hefty cost, and is a bit of a moral dilemma for the characters. There are also possible underground clerics of some good deities in the city investigating or trying to thwart the slavers, or even another adventuring party that might be willing to help. Whatever you decide, the players have to have their characters act quickly or the thief could perish from lack of food and water.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

You might want to check out Freeport, by Green Ronin. While originally written for 3E, they did create a C&C version you can use. It's gritty, spooky, detailed. Lots of good material for multiple adventures, and can be tweaked to fit into pretty much any setting.

-Fizz

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

koralas wrote:
maximus wrote:So the group just finished killing the Orc chief and bodyguards. However, the thief failed his save when checking out the trapped chest and has been paralyzed from a Curse left with a Glyph of Warding. My son is distraught on what to do. The 2 clerics in the party are level 4. They tried casting Remove Paralysis, which obviously didn't work. They deduced the condition is some kind of curse, but neither is high enough to cast Remove Curse. They could try looking around Highport for someone with a Remove Curse scroll, which would take some development on my part, or they could make their way out of town and head for the nearest good or neutral city, with the paralyzed thief in tow. They obviously can't continue searching for the merchants they were hired to recover, which are on their way to the Stockade via slave caravan.

Don't discount the possibility of even an evil cleric casting Remove Curse, it will come with a hefty cost, and is a bit of a moral dilemma for the characters. There are also possible underground clerics of some good deities in the city investigating or trying to thwart the slavers, or even another adventuring party that might be willing to help. Whatever you decide, the players have to have their characters act quickly or the thief could perish from lack of food and water.
They haven't thought of searching for another cleric in town yet, but that is a good idea. As far as food goes, their plan was to liquify the food and cast a Command spell to make the thief swallow. Not sure if I'll allow it, but it certainly is inventive.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Fizz wrote:You might want to check out Freeport, by Green Ronin. While originally written for 3E, they did create a C&C version you can use. It's gritty, spooky, detailed. Lots of good material for multiple adventures, and can be tweaked to fit into pretty much any setting.

-Fizz
Thanks Fizz!

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

maximus wrote:
koralas wrote:

They haven't thought of searching for another cleric in town yet, but that is a good idea. As far as food goes, their plan was to liquify the food and cast a Command spell to make the thief swallow. Not sure if I'll allow it, but it certainly is inventive.
The only real issue with using Command is that is still working on the mind of the character, while the action is forced it is not an involuntary action, sorry for the double negative. The command just make the character want to do what is being done, like dropping their weapon. I don't think it would allow the mind to control the paralyzed muscles. Now that said, it is inventive, and it will be up to you to rule if it does work. I'd give XP to whoever came up with the idea, even if you rule it didn't work. This will help get/keep the players into thinking outside of the box. The flip side is, sometimes characters die, it happens, usually because they do something stupid, sometimes because the dice were just out to get them that day.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Looks like I've settled on "Vesicant" from Dungeon Magazine 16. It has a pirate city named Scrape which I think will work well for Highport. I'm going to replace the existing temple with one dedicated to the Earth Dragon, and flesh out with the area to include a good/neutral group existing underground, covertly aiding escaped slaves and thwarting the slavers and humanoids when they can. I'll take some ideas from "Slavers" as well. The players still need to figure out what to do, but at least I won't have to make something up on the fly. Thanks for all the input; I'll let you know how things turn out!

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Freeport is awesome. Get the system-neutral book, The Pirate's Guide to Freeport, then the Castles & Crusades Freeport Companion, which has new spell, monsters, classes, equipment and NPC stats to run the first book. Highly recommend.

Fizz wrote:You might want to check out Freeport, by Green Ronin. While originally written for 3E, they did create a C&C version you can use. It's gritty, spooky, detailed. Lots of good material for multiple adventures, and can be tweaked to fit into pretty much any setting.

-Fizz

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

So we finally got around to playing again, after quite a break. My wife joined in to provide some guidance. The party decided to send a few up to the surface to seek out a healer or wizard that might be sympathetic to their plight. Good plan. However they chose the first tavern they saw, in the Orcish quarter of the city, and began asking questions about buying slaves right away. Reaction rolls weren't great, so they obviously drew some negative attention. You can tell my 14 year old son has never been in a bar before! A mysterious stranger showed up to guide them in the right direction, but in the confusion, they never asked for his name. They also blindly trusted him and his directions to another tavern in a "better" part of Highport. What fun! Can't wait to see what the next session holds.