View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Saving Throws - a quick reference 
Hlobane Orc

Post Saving Throws - a quick reference
Hey - I had seen on a forum or blog from someone a nice write-up on how saving throws/DC work. Could someone point me to an example?

Background: Running a game for some folks and I want to give a section on their character sheet on how spell saves and DCs work.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:01 am
Hlobane Orc

Post Re: Saving Throws - a quick reference
Additionally, are there any thoughts on saving throws that a natural 20 and natural 1 are auto-success and auto-failure?

It may be a rule we found in 2E AD&D and we kept going with (maybe 3E).

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am
Mogrl

Post Re: Saving Throws - a quick reference
Officially, C&C does not have auto-success or failure (assuming, of course, a roll is needed -- in theory if you're too high a level, a roll may not be required unless a "degree of success" is wanted by the Castle Keeper for some reason.) But, that does not mean many people do not include it as an option or house rule. Personally, I do not like it. Instead, a +/- 10 is added to the next roll, making it possible for anyone to fail or succeed but not with the equal 5% for both, which is pretty counter to the purpose of the SIEGE Engine. This allows an open-ended (explosion) mechanic to be added but does not guarantee success (or failure) on its own.

It is a concept liberally lifted from TORG, at least partially. In that game, a roll of 10 or 20 allowed a continuation roll, the previous result added.

Oh, and in AD&D, a roll of 1 for a saving throw was always a failure. Always. Even for gods.

I don't know what you're referring to about the saving throws thing... maybe one of the quick starts or cheat sheets?

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]