They said I should play a different game, so I did!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

They said I should play a different game, so I did!

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Hey gang!

Okay, so I've been away because we were playing a different game and just didn't have time to run two different games concurrently.

However, usually when I run a game I stay fairly active in the community, and their community was awful. Every time I tried to do anything new with the game, they kept telling me I didn't know what I was doing, I was breaking the game, and I should play something else.

So finally I listened, and Saturday night (for six hours!) we played C&C again after too long away... and had a BLAST!

I make a lot of changes to C&C, too. I have to... the RAW doesn't match our setting or play style. Some of my changes are minor, some major, but they improve the game for us (not in general) every time (and if they didn't, we'd stop using them).

But I love that whenever I talk rules changes with you guys, everyone is so awesome and helpful. And personally, I think a system that is so fragile that you can break it easily isn't really a "great" system, but YMMV. You can twist and turn and stretch C&C like crazy and it still works. That is a good system!

Two questions, though, and I know this ground has been covered a bazillion times before, but not by me:

1) Does anyone allow full movement and attack/cast spells? I adhere closely to encumbrance (that's a core element in my games and I wouldn't dream of ignoring it), so I didn't mind my players being reduced to 4" movement, but it was just the "half-movement" or "no movement with spells" that seemed to slow down minis play (we like minis and use them a lot).

Part of this could just be familiarity with a different system, but I found their movement limits a bit more limiting than even I had intended. I'm thinking about letting the characters move their listed movement (modified by encumbrance) and still attack and cast spells, if it isn't a game-breaker.

2) Does anyone prefer the old Barbarian? We all do. The new one seems great for a certain style of play, but in many ways he seems like a somewhat tougher ranger. I know the Companion renamed it Berserker and that's fine, too. If everyone thinks post 4p Barbarian is better, I might keep it and test it some more, but so far, we dig the old one.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: They said I should play a different game, so I did!

Post by Treebore »

I've always allowed full move and cast spells. I've been intending to change it to "must cast spell, THEN you can move", so they have to be stationary until they get their spell off, but I have yet to actually change it to that. I am currently, and FINALLY, running Victorious, so it will be a long time until I get around to actually doing this in my games. Heck, most likely I will even forget I want to do this change by the time I return to running C&C again.

As for the Barbarian versions, I have had both be played, and both be enjoyed. I allow either to be used, and just have them be from two different groups of Barbarians who live their lives very differently.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I allow full move and cast/attack. It just makes sense to me.

I use both barbarians in my game. The newer one is the barbarian, the older one is a berserker.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Move and attack, at least for full movement, is only possible with a charge or spell effect -- like a jump spell and there are rules that cover that. Full move and casting... not so much. If I want to allow it, I either make the spell take longer to cast (therefore making it easier to disrupt) or have some other effect in mind, possibly even giving a save bonus as the caster is "rushing" it.

And I only use the original barbarian.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I go BTB on this. However, I also use hero points per the CKG. If a player wants to blow a hero point, they could definitely use it to take full movement and cast/attack in the same round. I'd probably give the player a little extra umph either to their movement rate or the effectiveness of the spell/attack since hero points are a fairly precious commodity in my game.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I allow a move action and one more action (attack, spell, move again, etc).

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Buttmonkey wrote:I go BTB on this.
I do not know this abbreviation... can someone he'p me out here?

I tried googling it, but all I got was "bring the booty" and I'm fairly certain that wasn't what Buttmonkey intended. :?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

KeyIXTheHermit wrote:

I tried googling it, but all I got was "bring the booty" and I'm fairly certain that wasn't what Buttmonkey intended. :?
By the Book.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

KeyIXTheHermit wrote:
Treebore wrote: By the Book.
Ah. Thanks. Well... I'm feeling not too bright ATM. :oops:
Buttmonkey wrote: However, I also use hero points per the CKG.
I do have free re-roll points, but we do them completely differently than the CKG's version.

I give players a number of "Luck Points" equal to their Charisma modifier, +2 if Charisma is their Prime Attribute (we don't use knights, paladins, or bards, so without this rule Charisma becomes a dump stat). Then, I permit their use only on d20 rolls that the players make regarding their abilities. So, they can't force another character's re-roll, for example.

Anyway, that's what we do, like I said mostly to make Charisma have value since we don't use any of the charisma-based classes.

Gundoggy
Ungern

Post by Gundoggy »

Charisma is not a dump stat. None of the stats are dump stats in C&C.
All of the stats are tied into saving throws. Charisma is actually associated with saves against some very nasty effects like death magic.

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Gundoggy wrote:Charisma is not a dump stat. None of the stats are dump stats in C&C.
All of the stats are tied into saving throws. Charisma is actually associated with saves against some very nasty effects like death magic.
Okay, whatever you call it. It's the stat they put their lowest scores in and never choose as a Prime Attribute, and it doesn't cause them any problem because we rarely use it for anything.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

KeyIXTheHermit wrote:
KeyIXTheHermit wrote:
Treebore wrote: By the Book.
Ah. Thanks. Well... I'm feeling not too bright ATM. :oops:

I never know what any of the abbreviations mean, ... I just smile, nod my head, and pretend I understand what it is. Which doesn't help much because it is on my computer, so no one can see me smile nor see me nod my head ... stupid modern conversations ... ;)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Post removed but I cannot find a delete button. Go on ahead folks. Nothing to see here.

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Lurker wrote: I never know what any of the abbreviations mean, ... I just smile, nod my head, and pretend I understand what it is. Which doesn't help much because it is on my computer, so no one can see me smile nor see me nod my head ... stupid modern conversations ... ;)
Lol. I usually google the ones I don't know and can find an answer pretty quick, but BTB stumped me. There were a lot of different meanings online, but "by the book" wasn't any of them.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

KeyIXTheHermit wrote:Post removed but I cannot find a delete button. Go on ahead folks. Nothing to see here.
If there has not yet been a response to the post, you can click Edit and then there should be a delete / X button to remove the post. But, now, it is definitely too late.

In fact, on these boards, you don't even need to Edit first. Just click the X at the bottom right of the dialog window.