Empyrea for C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Empyrea for C&C

Post by capmarvel »

You've probably seen this, but evidently Frank Mentzer's upcoming Empyrea setting will have a C&C book option:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... dAqdGhyKUl

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Empyrea for C&C

Post by Tadhg »

capmarvel wrote:You've probably seen this, but evidently Frank Mentzer's upcoming Empyrea setting will have a C&C book option:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... dAqdGhyKUl
+1

Looking forward to seeing the kick!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I played in Empyrea for years and am really looking forward to this as well.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok, yet again I sound like a nob .... What is Empyrea, I never heard of it before?

I do realize it is a setting, but what is it like?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If it is legitimately, and expertly written for C&C (not just a schlocky quick conversion) in one of these instances, consider me very interested.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Ok, yet again I sound like a nob .... What is Empyrea, I never heard of it before?

Sounds to me like Frank Mentzer is putting his long standing campaign world into print.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

Asking for $250K seems like a tad much - I smell failure here. But, gamers have funded dumber things that's for sure.

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

I dunno, that looks like a true industry who's who. I think having the 'band back together' will create enough excitement to get it there.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Lurker wrote:Ok, yet again I sound like a nob .... What is Empyrea, I never heard of it before?

Here's a link to the campaign journal for Frank's home game I played in for several years:

http://dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic ... it=Empyrea

The setting is definitely high magic. It extrapolates from the assumptions about magic from the 3 LBBs to create a world. Sort of the opposite of a Conan-esque setting. It's not so much that magic is everywhere as the impact of magic is everywhere. For example, public works projects involve using mud to rock spells on a massive scale.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I was ambivalent, but when I read we get a Darlene map, and additional maps by Alyysa Fadden and Anna Myers, I signed up.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'll convince my wife to back it for me as an upcoming birthday present. I just spent too much money so I won't be getting it myself.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Buttmonkey wrote:

Here's a link to the campaign journal for Frank's home game I played in for several years:

The setting is definitely high magic. It extrapolates from the assumptions about magic from the 3 LBBs to create a world. Sort of the opposite of a Conan-esque setting. It's not so much that magic is everywhere as the impact of magic is everywhere. For example, public works projects involve using mud to rock spells on a massive scale.
Maw wuz right, this here night school mage degree really paid off! And I can't cast it but once a day, the rest is all free time!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

capmarvel wrote:Asking for $250K seems like a tad much - I smell failure here. But, gamers have funded dumber things that's for sure.
I thought I read $50 for the entire game (PDF) . . did I miss something?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

Rhuvein wrote: I thought I read $50 for the entire game (PDF) . . did I miss something?
I believe the reference was to the ambitious $250,000 kickstarter campaign goal. But hey, $47k pledged so far (one day)!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Buttmonkey wrote:

You all know me, I tend to shy away from high magic settings, but If you are going to have mass access to even minor magic then yeah the impact of it should be seen in things like that.

Nice read, just the thought of the history or gaming in those cards ... I'd kill to have seen them.

Now I can't see myself jumping into the kickstarter, but I hope it makes.
Aergraith wrote:

Maw wuz right, this here night school mage degree really paid off! And I can't cast it but once a day, the rest is all free time!
Nice point, the comforts of a city/county/state job in a game world :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

KS has been "stuck" at $52K for awhile - friend of mine said that's not a good sign. Actually none of my RPG buddies are interested at all.

Someone (or some group) pledged $10K though...even if I had that kind of disposable income I wouldn't personally spend on an RPG game. I may, you know, help out a homeless shelter or something. But, to each their own.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

capmarvel wrote:KS has been "stuck" at $52K for awhile - friend of mine said that's not a good sign. Actually none of my RPG buddies are interested at all.

Someone (or some group) pledged $10K though...even if I had that kind of disposable income I wouldn't personally spend on an RPG game. I may, you know, help out a homeless shelter or something. But, to each their own.

Yeah, not a good sign. I would definitely be surprised if it gets to fulfillment. If it gets there, I just know I will at the very least be happy with the maps.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

capmarvel wrote:KS has been "stuck" at $52K for awhile - friend of mine said that's not a good sign. Actually none of my RPG buddies are interested at all.

There are some very wealthy nerds out there. If you get the chance, visit the charity auction at Gary Con or North Texas. I never feel so poor as I do when I watch the Gary Con auction. There are something like 10-15 wealthy old school RPG fans out there who gobble up the rare collectibles. Frank's campaign setting should appeal to that group. I don't know how many are willing to drop $10,000 on it, but clearly it attracted at least one.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:

There are some very wealthy nerds out there. If you get the chance, visit the charity auction at Gary Con or North Texas. I never feel so poor as I do when I watch the Gary Con auction. There are something like 10-15 wealthy old school RPG fans out there who gobble up the rare collectibles. Frank's campaign setting should appeal to that group. I don't know how many are willing to drop $10,000 on it, but clearly it attracted at least one.
I don't know if they meet the definition of "wealthy", because I am not a millionaire, but I COULD afford to drop a thousand or two on a given item, I just choose not to because I have other things I'd rather put that kind of money into, such as my house. I know Mike himself has a fairly good income, and may even be a "millionaire", and I know a few of the others have good incomes too, I just also assume they already have their homes, cars, etc... exactly as they want them to be, so can afford to throw money at collectibles that they will never actually use for the rest of their lives.

I buy to play/use, not stick on my shelf and never touch again. So I buy the much cheaper, clearly beat up and used stuff, because thats exactly what I want to do, use it and beat it up more through my use of it.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

With almost 40 days to go, there’s certainly a chance. But a quarter of a million dollars seems pretty darn high. For my part, I’m torn. On the one hand, there are a lot luminaries lined up for this. On the other, the minimum print copy of this requires a $75 level of backing. Sure, I can handle that, I’m just not sure I want to.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:With almost 40 days to go, there’s certainly a chance. But a quarter of a million dollars seems pretty darn high. For my part, I’m torn. On the one hand, there are a lot luminaries lined up for this. On the other, the minimum print copy of this requires a $75 level of backing. Sure, I can handle that, I’m just not sure I want to.
It includes all the PDF's. Plus let me remind you, Darlene, Alyssa and Anna maps. That alone is total win for me, but I am a sucker for good maps.

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

I believe a signed Darlene map is one of the add-ons and (if the KS is successful) I'm definitely going for that! Will look nice next to the original Greyhawk and Haunted Highlands maps of hers, framed on my wall. 8-)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

spudeus wrote:I believe a signed Darlene map is one of the add-ons and (if the KS is successful) I'm definitely going for that! Will look nice next to the original Greyhawk and Haunted Highlands maps of hers, framed on my wall. 8-)
Wait, what?

Darlene did a HH map?

I thought Bradley did that map . . or did Darlene come along later?

??

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:
spudeus wrote:I believe a signed Darlene map is one of the add-ons and (if the KS is successful) I'm definitely going for that! Will look nice next to the original Greyhawk and Haunted Highlands maps of hers, framed on my wall. 8-)
Wait, what?

Darlene did a HH map?

I thought Bradley did that map . . or did Darlene come along later?

??

Darlene did the HH map as part of the HH kickstarter. They then sold the extra's on the TLG website.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

I bought in and hoping it goes to fulfillment.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

Been stalled for several days ....probably not going to happen. On the other hand, Monte Cook can fart in a cup and auction the cup off for $450k.

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

I admit I'm kinda shocked it's still only at 22% or so of goal. The 'all or nothing' thing is kind of a killer - it would be nice if they reach $100k that something is produced.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

They may regroup and do it again on smaller scale. Doesn't particularly matter to me since I wasn't going get it anyway. I just like to see good RPG stuff out there whether it's for me or not.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

capmarvel wrote:Been stalled for several days ....probably not going to happen. On the other hand, Monte Cook can fart in a cup and auction the cup off for $450k.
Ha! :lol: (It's funny because it's true!)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Now they are closing it and doing it over.