Half Orc Barbarians bonus

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Post by Mordekai82 »

Half Orcs really are my cup of tea. No half orc as a playable race is a deal breaker for me and C&C got it right. Love the way C&C did the barbarian too, not just one-dimensional berserker but a Conan style übermensch with some ranger-like abilities.

When it comes to combine both, I give the Half Orc Barbarian a special bonus. As the half orcs has enhanced sense of smell as a racial trait, that one gives him a +2 on his surprise roll (which stacks to the Combat Sense +2 bonus of the Barbarian class). ¿Why? Because my good old half orc Barbarian not only spider-senses nearby enemies, he smells them too!! Good luck trying to backstab him! (if you prime Wisdom, that's a sick combination).

¿What do you think? ¿Is that cool?

M.

serleran
Mogrl

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Post by serleran »

I don't know what "cool" is, but it seems to be fitting and intended.

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

Cool as in "according to the spirit of the system". You don't need to be rude about some word I use man, I'm new and not a natural english speaker.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Mord, Serl was not being rude. His statement seems to simply say cool is subjective. Serl is a good guy despite how he sounds sometimes.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

Oh ok, so thanks then.

"Cool" sounds a little like "what's up dog, just chillin' with my homies..." :D

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Mordekai82 wrote:Cool as in "according to the spirit of the system". You don't need to be rude about some word I use man, I'm new and not a natural english speaker.

OK...

Or I could mean "I don't know what cool is" because I am very much not cool...

Welcome to the forums.

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

Same here!!! The Uncoolest One would be my godly title. My regards!

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Interesting idea. It opens the door nicely to a preferred class for each race. Do you have other combinations as well? A halfling-rogue bonus, or a gnome-illusionist bonus?

-Fizz

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

So that's how the shadow of powerplaying starts to grow... By little bits of reasonable rule bending!!! Next thing you know, you're playing Pathfinder homebrew with a lvl 74 dragon-halfing ninja warlock mounted on a demon pegasus! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Not yet man, I gave most of my thoughts to half orc barbarians because that's my PC. I'll keep you posted if something else comes to my mind!

Kind regards.

M.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Racial profiling!

Actually, I'm pretty sure the PHB has or had racial adjustments to certain class abilities, to encourage use of archetypes.

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

Indeed it does, Half Orc has ranger bonuses, Halfling has Assassin, Ranger and Rogue bonuses and so... Fully legit.

M.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Please download the latest Domesday Issue IX.. read the racial classes and PLEASE write up the half orc and orc racial class!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

Captain_K wrote:Please download the latest Domesday Issue IX.. read the racial classes and PLEASE write up the half orc and orc racial class!
I guess I don't know what Domesday is and where can I find the IX issue, if you can enlight me please?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Mordekai82 wrote:
Captain_K wrote:Please download the latest Domesday Issue IX.. read the racial classes and PLEASE write up the half orc and orc racial class!
I guess I don't know what Domesday is and where can I find the IX issue, if you can enlight me please?
On the C&C Society downloads site I mentioned to you M. :) It is the official fanzine/newsletter of the C&C Society.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Mordekai82
Mist Elf

Post by Mordekai82 »

My bad! I'll be joining the society right away!!! (Anyway, I found the domesday IX in this same forum and I'm checkin the racial classes section!).

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I agree. I'd allow the stacking of the +2 for 1/2 orc smell and +2 for barbarian combat sense. Makes sense and fits the class/race. I'm also a big fan of the C&C barbarian and 1/2 orc. I've always hated the berserker nonsense of the mainstream barbarian. For one thing historically there is debate about whether berserkers even existed and if they did they are limited to a small group of Norse warriors. So if I'm playing a barbarian from a non-viking/Norse type culture, why would I be able to berserk? Always seemed dumb to me. And 1/2 Orcs having that sense of smell just fits the Tolkien style orc that D&D perpetuates. At least that's my two cents worth.

Mordekai82 wrote:Half Orcs really are my cup of tea. No half orc as a playable race is a deal breaker for me and C&C got it right. Love the way C&C did the barbarian too, not just one-dimensional berserker but a Conan style übermensch with some ranger-like abilities.

When it comes to combine both, I give the Half Orc Barbarian a special bonus. As the half orcs has enhanced sense of smell as a racial trait, that one gives him a +2 on his surprise roll (which stacks to the Combat Sense +2 bonus of the Barbarian class). ¿Why? Because my good old half orc Barbarian not only spider-senses nearby enemies, he smells them too!! Good luck trying to backstab him! (if you prime Wisdom, that's a sick combination).

¿What do you think? ¿Is that cool?

M.