Bat Swarm

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Bat Swarm

Post by Spade Marlowe »

I'm converting an old PF module for my group, and one of the encounters involve a bat swarm. I looked in M&T and Classic Monsters, and haven't seen anything comparable in C&C. Is there a C&C mechanic for handling swarming creatures that I missed? How has anyone else dealt with this? Thanks in advance.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Bat Swarm

Post by Lurker »

Off the top of my head, there is a ??Druid?? spell - Summon Swarm .

I don't have my book here to check on the specifics (they are in the bead room and my wife is sick and already threating to kill me if I go in there again to Help her - she says bother but I swear I'm helping).

I believe one of the effects of the spell is a swarm of bats.

As it is a spell, it may not fit perfectly, but it should at least give you a good base line to start from and then modify it as needed.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Lurker, I got the book look up for you. Summon Swarm and Insect Plague are both insect based, but each would be a good book end approach to what you need 2nd level summon swarm on one end and Insect Plague on the other end at 5th level.

Summon Animals is a 4th lvl spell that summons a number of HD equal to the caster level. So if bats are 1/4 hd (1-2 hp) then a 7th lvl caster has 7 HD x4 or 28 bats they could summon.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Simple way to handle a bat swarm, assuming your basic brown bat type. First figure the number of bats swarming. For every 100 bats, the swarm occupies 10' cubic feet of area. Any creature within the swarm will suffer 1 point of damage per round per HD of bat (in this case 1/4), DEX save for half damage, as they are battered, scratched, bitten, and generally buffeted about due to sheer numbers. Vision is also reduced to 10' due to the whirlwind of bodies.
Swarms can be dispersed with fire, sound blasts, extremely bright light, etc. Weapons kill one bat per point of damage inflicted on the swarm.

That's if you don't want to utilize the spell suggestion by others.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Spade Marlowe wrote:I'm converting an old PF module for my group, and one of the encounters involve a bat swarm. I looked in M&T and Classic Monsters, and haven't seen anything comparable in C&C. Is there a C&C mechanic for handling swarming creatures that I missed? How has anyone else dealt with this? Thanks in advance.
Lurker is correct in that bats are listed in the summon swarm spell (7th print, page 146) along with how a swarm works.

Assuming that you wish to go by the book - check it out.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote:Simple way to handle a bat swarm, assuming your basic brown bat type. First figure the number of bats swarming. For every 100 bats, the swarm occupies 10' cubic feet of area. Any creature within the swarm will suffer 1 point of damage per round per HD of bat (in this case 1/4), DEX save for half damage, as they are battered, scratched, bitten, and generally buffeted about due to sheer numbers. Vision is also reduced to 10' due to the whirlwind of bodies.
Swarms can be dispersed with fire, sound blasts, extremely bright light, etc. Weapons kill one bat per point of damage inflicted on the swarm.

That's if you don't want to utilize the spell suggestion by others.
I like that, it makes since the things that repel them would disperse them .... Now will the beswarmed heroes be quick enough to think of that torch they have in their pack, or will the cleric cast sound burst to drive them away ... Hay would that work on Stirge ?????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society