Counter spell ??

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Counter spell ??

Post by Lurker »

I've watched some you tube to get an idea on how to play 'The One Ring' and that lead to 'Critical roll'. I never knew anything like that existed ... I've watched bits here and there of it, picking up ideas on GMin as my girls get a bit older.

It has shown me, I'm not a huge fan of 5e, but it does look better than 3.5 ... However, one thing I've seen that I never though or is 'counter spell'

That intrigues me ... (again, remember, I have very little experience running a magic heavy game or playing a spell slinger) ... I like the idea of a spell caster being able to disrupt an opponent's spell.

I do think it may be a bit over powered or versatile as I take it from CR. However, like I said I have little MU experience to justify my belief on it.

That said, has anyone used it or a similar idea in their game?

Is it worth home brewing ?

Is it good to go straight from the D&D rules, or is it overpowered as is for C&C ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Counter spell ??

Post by Go0gleplex »

There were a couple methods for counter spell that popped up in the late 90's and later. My group at the time talked it over and give them a run but eventually just dropped it. Part of what we ran into with one system was that our initiative method did not work well with it, both spell casters needing to fire off at the same segment and then a dice roll. The other system we tried was more initiative friendly but came close to pretty much auto-nullifying the opposing spell being countered. And the tracking was a friggin' headache as the DM. So after a couple weeks we dropped it. (we played twice per week plus Fri-Sun 5-midnight)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Defensive spells vs fire, magic shells, etc. are the current ways to "counter" but basically spells flying at players should be rare events stopping them with a fizzle would be frustrating for a PC caster.. then you get the whole arms race going.. penetrating spells that are harder to counter.. yuck... apply the KISS principle.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I do believe there is a basic method to counter spelling provided by the Wizard class in the CKG. In fact, it's a class ability for higher-level wizards if I recall correctly.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:Defensive spells vs fire, magic shells, etc. are the current ways to "counter" but basically spells flying at players should be rare events stopping them with a fizzle would be frustrating for a PC caster.. then you get the whole arms race going.. penetrating spells that are harder to counter.. yuck... apply the KISS principle.
I agree, but watching it on CR, it doesn't seem to be used as often to the point that it is abusive.

I am running a bit blind because I don't have the 5e books to see it BtB as written to see the mechanic behind it.

I gather it is :

1 you use one of your own spell slots to cast counter spell (so it is limited by the spell slots the caster has) and it has to be a spell slot eual or greater to the spell being cast

2 the caster being counter spelled gets to save to see if they are successful at getting the spell off despite the counter attempt

3 if the one attempting counter spell uses a spell slot ?X? levels above the spell being cast, it is an auto failure on the save and the spell is countered (again limiting ability of the one attempting to counter by buring their bigger magic to stop the others spell)

4 Items (wands staffs etc) can't be countered.

My gut say it is a good option, if used judiciously. But again I'm not that experienced with mage characters or really running games with lots of magic. It gives more a feel of 'magic duel' with the decisions of is it better to stop the bad guy from doing X or using your own spell to do Y to the bad guy

I would also say that over using it may be annoying, but also the character would be overly defensive, and defenses never win a battle on their own. So, a mage that used most of their spells countering other spells would eventually be defeated - running out of their won spell slots or fall to a wand ring etc)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Omote wrote:I do believe there is a basic method to counter spelling provided by the Wizard class in the CKG. In fact, it's a class ability for higher-level wizards if I recall correctly.

~O
Forgot to reply to this in my other post ... sorry ...

I don't remember seeing it in the CKG, but it has been over a year since I read it ... I just looked on my lap top and don't have the PDF saved on my 'use a lot and refer to often' game books, so I'll have to dig out my external HD and see if I can find it.

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

If I remember the S&P method right, and I am going from memory because I'm too lazy to look it up right now, the counter spell bit was similar in concept to back burns in fighting forest fires. A mage casts fireball at you, you counter with your own fireball and hope you can overpower the other spell. That was the one where you have to match the initiative segment I mentioned.

Honestly, it is much easier to just use Dispel Magic or a lower level version called Disrupt Magic (which had a level based chance of success) to act as a counter spell. And like you noted Lurker...it boils down to is it more critical to stop the incoming or do unto the dirty bugger in kind. :lol:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."