multi, 1.5, dual, and new classes

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

multi, 1.5, dual, and new classes

Post by Captain_K »

The PH thread got me to thinking. Multi-class is pretty straight forward, its all about the restrictions of armor and such that make the difference there. The class and a half ruling I love because it allows that little bit in you might want. I use Monk-Assassin as my Ninja class and such. 1/2 Orc Assassin-Cleric class and a half if you want that old school flavor complete with level restrictions.

But how about dual class, stop one and start another. Anyone have rules out there for that?

Finally, How about make a class by point for powers or abilities? Ultimately one new class vs the other is simply a balance of power.. anyone, beside by feel have a buy point system for BtH, armor, and spells and abilities?

Might make some good Domesday book write ups. We've done the race as class bit pretty in depth I think.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Re: multi, 1.5, dual, and new classes

Post by Spade Marlowe »

Do you have the Expanded Classes supplement? I need to check, but I'm pretty sure dual-classing rules are in there. If you like class-and-a-half, then I really recommend getting that. They've really expanded on that concept.

JohnD
Ungern

Post by JohnD »

I prefer the Enhanced Class approach.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

JohnD wrote:I prefer the Enhanced Class approach.
I was a bit on the fence about Expanding Classes, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Best thing about it is how you don't give up what's in the PHB to incorporate the material in EC, it only offers different options if you want to experiment a little or use the thing whole cloth. Either way the core classes are still intact and totally playable, there isn't a power creep in using this book.

JohnD
Ungern

Post by JohnD »

Kayolan wrote:
JohnD wrote:I prefer the Enhanced Class approach.
I was a bit on the fence about Expanding Classes, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Best thing about it is how you don't give up what's in the PHB to incorporate the material in EC, it only offers different options if you want to experiment a little or use the thing whole cloth. Either way the core classes are still intact and totally playable, there isn't a power creep in using this book.
Yeah that's what I prefer, no power creep.

I like lower XP requirements to advance balancing off getting 2nd class abilities at a gradual rate.

I tell my players what the campaign is designed towards (slow advancement), but if someone really wants to just reach 2nd level when everyone else is 4th, it's their funeral I say. I tell them they'll take forever to advance and if they still pick a methodology that isn't my campaign preference, I wash my hands.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

So where does one find this Expanded Classes supplement?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I have dual classing rules n my house rules link.

And the Expanded Classes supplement is the first chapter of the CKG. It was a small release at TrollCon 2010, but they have released it as a stand alone supplement since then.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My probably unpopular opinion is that it's better to have a well-composed team of higher level single-classed characters that complement one another than a bunch of jacks of all trades who need to cover every eventuality themselves and are a level or more behind. Multi-classed characters are interesting for solo adventures or very small parties (though a party of 2-3 clerics covers most bases). If you want to design a character that can fill a mix of roles, maybe a classless system is better (but those will also usually keep you from going too gonzo since it's generally cheaper to focus than buy lots of skills).

I get grumpy about multi-classing but right now I allow pretty much any official C&C way of doing it.

Dual-classing is fine I guess. People change their mind but want to keep playing the same person, that seems OK.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rigon wrote:I have dual classing rules n my house rules link.

And the Expanded Classes supplement is the first chapter of the CKG. It was a small release at TrollCon 2010, but they have released it as a stand alone supplement since then.

R-
Now I'm a bit confused. I don't see any of that info in my copy of the CKG, though I do have the first printing, maybe it was added to the second printing?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm not sure. I know they had a "preview" book of the first chapter of the CKG called Expanded Classes, which make classes playable from 12th-24 level. I don't have the book you linked to, so it may be completely different. And I sold off my copy of the Expanded Classes sometime ago after I got the CKG.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rigon wrote:I'm not sure. I know they had a "preview" book of the first chapter of the CKG called Expanded Classes, which make classes playable from 12th-24 level. I don't have the book you linked to, so it may be completely different. And I sold off my copy of the Expanded Classes sometime ago after I got the CKG.

R-
Ah, I see now, you are talking about the chapter called Expanded Classes, where as I was referring to Expanding Classes, the latter being a book on more options. I'll quote a part of the book to give you a better idea of what's in it:

"What follows is a player’s guide to combining, in a number of
different ways, the thirteen character classes from the Castles &
Crusades Players Handbook. Presented here are five different
methods of combining these classes: multi-class, enhanced
class, class plus, dual class, and reclass.

Multi-classing is an option which allows the character to begin
play with two or more classes. While this does allow for a more
versatile character, it comes at a cost of hit points, as well as
significantly slower level advancement.

Enhanced classing* is an option in which the character begins
play with the full abilities of one class and some of the abilities of
a supporting class. The character is fairly versatile, with a small
cost to hit points and moderately slower level advancement.

Class plus adds the zero level abilities from one or more classes
to the character’s class, at the cost of a small percentage of
experience points.

Dual classing is an option for an existing character to add a class
to his original class, advancing in both thereafter. Advancement
from this point is at a slower rate as experience points are split
between the two classes.

Reclassing allows the character to change classes, foregoing
advancement in his original class in favor of the new class,
toward which all new experience points will be applied. As the
character begins advancement in the new class, he loses from
the old class."

*Enhanced classes (these are supporting classes) include:
Killer (Assassin)
Spy (Assassin)
Loremaster (Bard)
Provocateur (Bard)
Feral (Druid)
Shaman (Druid)
Horse Master (Knight)
Peer (Knight)
Martial Artist (Monk)
Mystic (Monk)
Scout (Ranger)
Slayer (Ranger)
Backstabber (Rogue)
Thief (Rogue)

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

OK you two, what book are you in? CKG spine 80152.. Ch 1 is Expanding Classes and it just takes the core 13 to 24th lvl. No dual or multi class write ups. Where did the above come from?

Dual classing is an option for an existing character to add a class
to his original class, advancing in both thereafter. Advancement
from this point is at a slower rate as experience points are split
between the two classes.

This needs more detail. A 5th lvl fighter starts thief.. so a 5th and 1st, then at 6th its a 2nd lvl thief? The experience is the 6th lvl fighter + the 2nd thief?

I like dual class or multi-class when no one wants to be the wizard or the cleric and they want to be a fighter or a thief, etc. Or the group is small.. I tend to pick up the missing classes in a group or I just want to try something odd (1/2 orc bard-illusionist; ugly but entertaining, think Rose-Anne).

One GM had three players who all wanted to be fighters, he made them a fighter mage, a fighter cleric and a fighter thief... group ready to go.

I'm trying to play an old school cleric-assassin 1/2 orc.. for old time sake... so far, we're all poor with crap equipment so its fun.
I've played a Monk-assassin as a Ninja or a cleric-ranger as a elven woodland guarding type.

Dual class is always tricky for me, how do you do and play the switch.. Fighter who looses his leg becomes a fighter cleric on a mission to "heal thine self" after he was saved by and spoken to by his patron God.. what else could he do, put away his sword and take up his divine patron's Mace...

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Captain_K wrote:OK you two, what book are you in? CKG spine 80152.. Ch 1 is Expanding Classes and it just takes the core 13 to 24th lvl. No dual or multi class write ups. Where did the above come from?
This:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190 ... ng-Classes

It's not part of the CKG, it's a separate 23 page booklet.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I get you now Kay. Mebbe I'll have to check it out.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

thanks for the link!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Ordered the book from the TRL store, thanks!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Got the book.. seems like it should be added to PH, CKG or Adv. Backpack?